Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Magnet Kitchens

I have not walked into a Magnet showroom for 20 or more years.

Visited our local one last week and was surprised by the apparent
quality of some of their more premium kitchens. Brought home the
catalogue and thought nothing more of it.

Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION. Basic information such
as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both
the catalogue and the web.

What I want is some simple technical data and what I get is a load of
awkward to use "Wizards", and not even the most rudimentary kitchen
layout designer page.

Are Magnet losing it, or is this simply the way things are in the 21st
century?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/18 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:
Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION.Â* Basic information such
as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both
the catalogue and the web.

Been standard on car manufacturers websites for years.

All websites and brochures are now designed by 'creatives' to be
'content free' but alluring.

Since the customers can't think and can't do sums, anything else is a waste.

Think of it as a logical extenshun of the stayet edyou cayshun cistem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2018 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:

I have not walked into a Magnet showroom for 20 or more years.

Visited our local one last week and was surprised by the apparent
quality of some of their more premium kitchens.Â* Brought home the
catalogue and thought nothing more of it.

Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION.Â* Basic information such
as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both
the catalogue and the web.

What I want is some simple technical data and what I get is a load of
awkward to use "Wizards", and not even the most rudimentary kitchen
layout designer page.

Are Magnet losing it, or is this simply the way things are in the 21st
century?

Kitchen units tend to come in a number of standard sizes, at least
width. Floor units are a standard height (with some adjustment). Wall
units can vary - some 'go to the ceiling' (at least in modern houses
which lack high ceilings).

Places like Magnet tend to have a 'design service', you can turn up with
your room dimensions and they will do a layout or two and give you
prices based on the units you pick- with/without fitting etc. I suspect
they don't offer this on-line for several reasons, including placing you
under some 'pressure' to proceed.

When we wanted our kitchen replaced some years back, I roughed out what
we wanted on graph paper - I made some scale footprints of units and we
moved them around. We then went to several places, picked one, got them
to do a design, got a price etc, and made a decision. As the units were
a standard size, we were able to make some last minute changes- within
limits- eg we swapped the (under counter) fridge and freezer around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/18 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:
Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION.Â* Basic information such
as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both
the catalogue and the web.

Been standard on car manufacturers websites for years.

All websites and brochures are now designedÂ* by 'creatives' to be
'content free' but alluring.

Since the customers can't think and can't do sums, anything else is a
waste.

Think of it as a logical extenshun of the stayet edyou cayshun cistem.

Or not really bothered about the DIY market?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If not then why do they put so many adverts on telly and radio about buying
your kit kitchen from them?
No I think you basically have to just go and measure the bloody things. I'd
have thought in these days of standards, everyone would make the units the
same size?
Also where does one, these days get appliances like hobs ovens washing
machines that can be used by somebody with no sight. Everything has bloody
touch screens... bah humbug.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/01/18 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:
Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION. Basic information such as
standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both the
catalogue and the web.

Been standard on car manufacturers websites for years.

All websites and brochures are now designed by 'creatives' to be 'content
free' but alluring.

Since the customers can't think and can't do sums, anything else is a
waste.

Think of it as a logical extenshun of the stayet edyou cayshun cistem.

Or not really bothered about the DIY market?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex12 wrote:

I have not walked into a Magnet showroom for 20 or more years.

Visited our local one last week and was surprised by the apparent
quality of some of their more premium kitchens.Â* Brought home the
catalogue and thought nothing more of it.

Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION.Â* Basic information such
as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both
the catalogue and the web.

What I want is some simple technical data and what I get is a load of
awkward to use "Wizards", and not even the most rudimentary kitchen
layout designer page.

Are Magnet losing it, or is this simply the way things are in the 21st
century?

Look for a catalogue or price list rather than advertising blurb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2018 20:24, newshound wrote:
On 23/01/18 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:
Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION.Â* Basic information
such as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in
both the catalogue and the web.

Been standard on car manufacturers websites for years.

All websites and brochures are now designedÂ* by 'creatives' to be
'content free' but alluring.

Since the customers can't think and can't do sums, anything else is a
waste.

Think of it as a logical extenshun of the stayet edyou cayshun cistem.

Or not really bothered about the DIY market?

Lots of info on www.diykitchens.co.uk but not exactly DIY prices.
There may be a large discount if you are in the trade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 20:01:56 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:
Kitchen units tend to come in a number of standard sizes, at least
width.

Corners can vary quite a lot though, and not all ranges have both eg 500 and 600 mm drawers.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/01/2018 20:48, Brian Gaff wrote:

Also where does one, these days get appliances like hobs ovens washing
machines that can be used by somebody with no sight. Everything has bloody
touch screens... bah humbug.
Brian

Our Bosch oven has big knobs to control its main functions. I agree that
the timer would be no use to you, though.

Is there no little gadget that you can point at these displays and which
reads them out to you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2018 19:58, Tim Streater wrote:

Howden's has a decent catalogue which shows base/wall units and
dimensions. You prolly need to get a person at Magnet to start
designing you a kitchen, then you'll find out about carcass sizes etc.
If you're going to do that, measure up to start with, so they've got
something to get going with. If you get to the stage of a serious
design and an order, they'll send someone round to measure up and
refine the design based on that.

IIRC, Howdens have two catalogues, a coloured glossy one for the
customer and a detailed information one for the designer / installer.
They seemed quite happy to give the latter out if asked and, yes, it
does have useful information in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2018 08:55, Andrew May wrote:
On 23/01/2018 19:58, Tim Streater wrote:

Howden's has a decent catalogue which shows base/wall units and
dimensions. You prolly need to get a person at Magnet to start
designing you a kitchen, then you'll find out about carcass sizes etc.
If you're going to do that, measure up to start with, so they've got
something to get going with. If you get to the stage of a serious
design and an order, they'll send someone round to measure up and
refine the design based on that.

IIRC, Howdens have two catalogues, a coloured glossy one for the
customer and a detailed information one for the designer / installer.
They seemed quite happy to give the latter out if asked and, yes, it
does have useful information in it.

But not prices.

In my recent experience, Howdens turned out much more expensive than
using Wickes units, a lovely Iroko worktop from worktop express, and
'Best Kitchens' in Reading to fit it all.

OTOH, the John Lewis quote was clearly for people who just don't care
about the cost.

I was impressed by the quality of the Wickes stuff, certainly compared
to our old MFI(?) units. We did go towards their top end, but I'm sure
the carcasses are the same across the range. Their designer came up
with some ideas we hadn't thought of, Best Kitchens solved unforeseen
problems, and Wickes refunded on unused parts with no quibbling. We
bought the oven and other goods through Wickes who would price match
them to the cheapest I could find.

And no DIY involved, apart from small things like a Gridwall frame.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/18 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:
Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION.Â* Basic information such
as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both
the catalogue and the web.

Been standard on car manufacturers websites for years.

All websites and brochures are now designedÂ* by 'creatives' to be
'content free' but alluring.

Since the customers can't think and can't do sums, anything else is a
waste.

Think of it as a logical extenshun of the stayet edyou cayshun cistem.

The Hyundai brochure contains full specs and dimensions across the
entire engine range for the model.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2018 20:01, Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

I'll be going back this lunchtime to ask for more explicit information.

It's clear their "default" preference is to to use the design service,
and indeed we will....along with those of a couple of other vendors.

Have not yet checked out Howdens (mentioned elsewhere).
They have a local depot so will also check that out today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:
Look for a catalogue or price list rather than advertising blurb.

The magic word is 'trade':

http://www.magnettrade.co.uk/contrac...-rsl-brochure/
page 24

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 January 2018 10:04:54 UTC, Vortex13 wrote:

Have not yet checked out Howdens (mentioned elsewhere).
They have a local depot so will also check that out today.

It's handy having a local despot

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
news
[...]

presumably that's before the tradesman discount.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2018 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:

I have not walked into a Magnet showroom for 20 or more years.

Visited our local one last week and was surprised by the apparent
quality of some of their more premium kitchens. Brought home the
catalogue and thought nothing more of it.

Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION. Basic information such
as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both
the catalogue and the web.

What I want is some simple technical data and what I get is a load of
awkward to use "Wizards", and not even the most rudimentary kitchen
layout designer page.

Are Magnet losing it, or is this simply the way things are in the 21st
century?

Presumably all geared up to have you use their professional design service!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2018 08:05, GB wrote:
On 23/01/2018 20:48, Brian Gaff wrote:

Also where does one, these days get appliances like hobs ovens washing
machines that can be used by somebody with no sight. Everything has
bloody
touch screens... bah humbug.
Brian

Our Bosch oven has big knobs to control its main functions. I agree that
the timer would be no use to you, though.

Is there no little gadget that you can point at these displays and which
reads them out to you?

Like a smart phone... with a touch screen!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex13" wrote in message
[...]

Haven't checked recently but they used to have a tradesman only policy and
will send you away if you are a domestic customer and start to ask prices

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-23, Vortex12 wrote:

I have not walked into a Magnet showroom for 20 or more years.

Me neither, at least for 10 years, since they were rude last time.

[14 lines snipped]

Are Magnet losing it, or is this simply the way things are in the 21st
century?

Who cares? I'll never be going in one again.

What got me was the nonsensical prices of their appliances

They have high headline prices for cabinets though there's always some
30-50% off deal available. But the small print for that says "not
applicable to appliances".

But why would I pay 750 pounds for a standard fridge freezer, that even the
most expensive high street shop sells for 400 (and online I can get for
279).

Been some time since I looked, so this may have changed.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Actually in this case I do not envisage doing the installation, so am not
averse to a "full service" proposal.....which appears to be the vogue
these days.

The quality of the hardware is critical so kicking the tyres is important.

Will see what they have to say!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:03:24 -0000, tim... wrote:

Haven't checked recently but they used to have a tradesman only policy
and will send you away if you are a domestic customer and start to ask
prices

I don't think they are quite so fussy these days. Had a Howdens rep
cold call(*) some time last year, left catalogues and "trade account"
application form.

Probably stopped due to the dumpy bags out side and looked the
windows at a bare plasterd spaces full of "stuff"...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:33:04 +0000, Clive Arthur wrote:

In my recent experience, Howdens turned out much more expensive than
using Wickes units,

IIRC Howdens units are factory built ie they come as units ready to
be fitted not as flat pack to be assembled and then fitted. Makes
sense for a "trade" installer, they don't want to waste time
assmebling units. The snag is you need somewhere to put the units...

Are the Wickes units flat pack or pre-built?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 22:45:46 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/01/2018 20:24, newshound wrote:
On 23/01/18 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:
Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION.Â* Basic information
such as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in
both the catalogue and the web.

Been standard on car manufacturers websites for years.

All websites and brochures are now designedÂ* by 'creatives' to be
'content free' but alluring.

Since the customers can't think and can't do sums, anything else is a
waste.

Think of it as a logical extenshun of the stayet edyou cayshun cistem.

Or not really bothered about the DIY market?

Lots of info on www.diykitchens.co.uk but not exactly DIY prices.
There may be a large discount if you are in the trade.

Just what you'd expect from a DIY store 😕

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/01/2018 11:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:33:04 +0000, Clive Arthur wrote:

In my recent experience, Howdens turned out much more expensive than
using Wickes units,

IIRC Howdens units are factory built ie they come as units ready to
be fitted not as flat pack to be assembled and then fitted. Makes
sense for a "trade" installer, they don't want to waste time
assmebling units. The snag is you need somewhere to put the units...

Are the Wickes units flat pack or pre-built?

They do a range of flat pack ones available in-store. Just about to buy
some. They'll deliver free of charge for the sort of money you are
likely to be spending.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/18 12:04, GB wrote:
On 24/01/2018 11:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:33:04 +0000, Clive Arthur wrote:

In my recent experience, Howdens turned out much more expensive than
using Wickes units,

IIRC Howdens units are factory built ie they come as units ready to
be fitted not as flat pack to be assembled and then fitted. Makes
sense for a "trade" installer, they don't want to waste time
assmebling units. The snag is you need somewhere to put the units...

Are the Wickes units flat pack or pre-built?

They do a range of flat pack ones available in-store. Just about to buy
some. They'll deliver free of charge for the sort of money you are
likely to be spending.

Some years back, may be 8/9, when we were looking around for our
kitchen, we looked at Wickes. I wasn't impressed.

Magnet seemed quite good.

We also looked at Ikea, they were better and I someone we knew had got
one and swore by it. However, we decided on a local company which had,
as still has, a very good reputation. A neighbour had one fitted just
before us and they spoke very highly of them. The only issues we've had
have been the appliances- AEG. We had 'everything'- oven, combi
microwave oven, dishwasher, induction hob, fridge, freezer (both under
the bench), the hood isn't AEG- I can't recall the make. The microwave
was a PIA at first, it was all but replaced. The dishwasher was also a
PIA and gave up the ghost just out of the 5 year warranty. The hinges on
the fridge and freezer have failed several times, as have other bits.
The main oven, hood, and the hob have been fine. The AEG hinges are
about £40 each, although you can get then elsewhere for less. I'd not
buy AEG again. Current dishwasher is a SMEG which seems OK. We've tried
Bosch, not impressed- it lasted about 3 years.

The best appliances we've ever had were an Ariston Washing machine- 17
years, with a new door seal and maybe a door switch- and a Tricity
Microwave, also something like 17 years, with a couple of O rings to
replace the drive belt. It was still working when we disposed of it due
to being 'tatty'. The Ariston coped with the washing for the children
when small so got a lot of use in its later years. I suspect it would
have lasted longer but for our moving house- I thing it took a 'bump'
and then main bearing started to leak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:33:04 +0000, Clive Arthur wrote:

In my recent experience, Howdens turned out much more expensive than
using Wickes units,

IIRC Howdens units are factory built ie they come as units ready to
be fitted not as flat pack to be assembled and then fitted. Makes
sense for a "trade" installer, they don't want to waste time
assmebling units. The snag is you need somewhere to put the units...

I had one installer claim that his time saved (and hence not paid for) in
not making up the units would cover the extra cost

It didn't

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2018 10:57, tim... wrote:

[...]

No, it was the whole deal. About 50% more expensive, and I just
couldn't be arsed with the whole obfuscatory affair.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-23, Vortex12 wrote:

I have not walked into a Magnet showroom for 20 or more years.

Me neither, at least for 10 years, since they were rude last time.

[14 lines snipped]

Are Magnet losing it, or is this simply the way things are in the 21st
century?

Who cares? I'll never be going in one again.

Could be worse. This is, I promise, a true story.

My sister had a Homebase kitchen fitted by one of their contractors
while she was at work. Everything looked splendid, till she went into
the next door room to see the ends of the fixings protruding into the room.

While I love her dearly, I still almost weep with mirth when I imagine
her reaction.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-23, Vortex12 wrote:

I have not walked into a Magnet showroom for 20 or more years.

Me neither, at least for 10 years, since they were rude last time.

[14 lines snipped]

Are Magnet losing it, or is this simply the way things are in the 21st
century?

Who cares? I'll never be going in one again.

Could be worse.Â* This is, I promise, a true story.

My sister had a Homebase kitchen fitted by one of their contractors
while she was at work. Everything looked splendid, till she went into
the next door room to see the ends of the fixings protruding into the room.

While I love her dearly, I still almost weep with mirth when I imagine
her reaction.

Cheers

Is there something 'unusual' about the walls in her house? Even a single
layer breeze block wall must be 4" thick, then there is the plaster etc.
They must have used very long screws!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound writes:
On 23/01/18 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:
Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of
kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION.Â* Basic information such
as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both
the catalogue and the web.

Been standard on car manufacturers websites for years.

All websites and brochures are now designedÂ* by 'creatives' to be
'content free' but alluring.

Since the customers can't think and can't do sums, anything else is a
waste.

Think of it as a logical extenshun of the stayet edyou cayshun cistem.

Or not really bothered about the DIY market?

DIY skills have vanished over the last generation (25 years or so).
Very few people under 50 can do any DIY, and as for installing a
kitchen, I think that's probably out of scope for 99% who still
do actually do DIY. Sad...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
In article ,
newshound writes:
[...]

but you don't need to actually do any DIY if what you want to do is "design"
the kitchen yourself and get a friendly tradesman in to do it for you

tim

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

[20 lines snipped]

DIY skills have vanished over the last generation (25 years or so).
Very few people under 50 can do any DIY, and as for installing a
kitchen, I think that's probably out of scope for 99% who still
do actually do DIY. Sad...

It is. I have put in two kitchens and two bathrooms in the past, but
would likely not do it again, partly due to age. Next "big" project;
air conditioning in our bedroom.

4 kitchens 5 bathrooms

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound writes:
[...]

I reckon that's beyond the current generation

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 13:18:04 -0000, tim... wrote:

I had one installer claim that his time saved (and hence not paid for)
in not making up the units would cover the extra cost

What is it with tradesmen and telling porkies?

Just had the boiler replaced(*) and as part of that a Fernox TF1
magnetic/cyclonic filter was fitted. On checking things out after
they'd gone I spotted that the flow arrow on the filter housing was
pointing in the opposite direction to the flow. Rang 'em up, plumber
rang back and from the conversation I quote "it doesn't matter it's
only there for the next plumber to know which way the flow is".

They also didn't install the full lenght of plume kit they where
supposed to, used steel waskers and screws to fix the birdcage around
the inlet the and I suspect cracked they condensate trap. The
condesate pipe has a short vertical section that isn't and a
horizontal section fitting into a wastepipe tap is a couple of mm to
long so places things understress.

They've sorted the flue and filter but the cracked condensate trap
is, in theory, covered by the boiler warranty, they said they'll
inform Worecester-Bosh who'll be in touch. Still waiting.

I'll replace the steel screws and washers with brass at some point so
they'll actually last more than few years and still be removeable.
Also sort out the condensate drain...

They seemed like competent chaps who knew their stuff but they mades
an awful lot of basic errors. Just re-enforces why I like to DIY,
it'll be done properly to my satisfaction.

(*) Replaced under the ECO scheme so no option to DIY.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2018-01-24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

[20 lines snipped]

DIY skills have vanished over the last generation (25 years or so).
Very few people under 50 can do any DIY, and as for installing a
kitchen, I think that's probably out of scope for 99% who still
do actually do DIY. Sad...

It is. I have put in two kitchens and two bathrooms in the past, but
would likely not do it again, partly due to age. Next "big" project;
air conditioning in our bedroom.

4 kitchens 5 bathrooms

2 kitchens and 2 bathrooms (and helped with several others).

2 lots of aircon (outdoor unit can be bloody heavy).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2018 16:32, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

snipped

DIY skills have vanished over the last generation (25 years or so).
Very few people under 50 can do any DIY, and as for installing a
kitchen, I think that's probably out of scope for 99% who still
do actually do DIY. Sad...

I put our last kitchen in about 25 years ago when money was tight. (And
the heating, plumbing etc.) Far better, IMO, to pay someone to do it
more quickly and to a higher standard. If I ever retired, DIY would
become mainstream again, but for now, it's essentially limited to
repairs and small jobs.

Cheers
--
Clive

Fitted Kitchens UK, Best Rate in Fitted Kitchens, Bespoke FittedFurniture fittedkitchenuk Home Repair 0 June 5th 10 03:09 PM
magnet kitchens? Keyser Sose UK diy 34 January 1st 07 09:20 AM
Can I degauss my TV with a magnet? Nick Alexander Electronics Repair 30 April 15th 04 03:57 AM
Rare earth magnet question? Rick Maston Metalworking 14 April 13th 04 03:22 PM
Silicone - Yoke Trimming magnet Jerry Greenberg Electronics Repair 2 August 13th 03 06:10 AM