Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Magnet Kitchens

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 13:18:04 -0000, tim... wrote:

I had one installer claim that his time saved (and hence not paid for)
in not making up the units would cover the extra cost

What is it with tradesmen and telling porkies?

Just had the boiler replaced(*) and as part of that a Fernox TF1
magnetic/cyclonic filter was fitted. On checking things out after
they'd gone I spotted that the flow arrow on the filter housing was
pointing in the opposite direction to the flow. Rang 'em up, plumber
rang back and from the conversation I quote "it doesn't matter it's
only there for the next plumber to know which way the flow is".

They also didn't install the full lenght of plume kit they where
supposed to, used steel waskers and screws to fix the birdcage around
the inlet the and I suspect cracked they condensate trap. The
condesate pipe has a short vertical section that isn't and a
horizontal section fitting into a wastepipe tap is a couple of mm to
long so places things understress.

They've sorted the flue and filter but the cracked condensate trap
is, in theory, covered by the boiler warranty, they said they'll
inform Worecester-Bosh who'll be in touch. Still waiting.

I'll replace the steel screws and washers with brass at some point so
they'll actually last more than few years and still be removeable.
Also sort out the condensate drain...

They seemed like competent chaps who knew their stuff but they mades
an awful lot of basic errors. Just re-enforces why I like to DIY,
it'll be done properly to my satisfaction.

(*) Replaced under the ECO scheme so no option to DIY.

--
Cheers
Dave.