Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Magnet Kitchens

"Vortex13" wrote in message
On 23/01/2018 20:01, Brian Reay wrote:

Are Magnet losing it, or is this simply the way things are in the 21st
century?

Kitchen units tend to come in a number of standard sizes, at least
width. Floor units are a standard height (with some adjustment). Wall
units can vary - some 'go to the ceiling' (at least in modern houses
which lack high ceilings).

Places like Magnet tend to have a 'design service', you can turn up with
your room dimensions and they will do a layout or two and give you
prices based on the units you pick- with/without fitting etc. I suspect
they don't offer this on-line for several reasons, including placing you
under some 'pressure' to proceed.

When we wanted our kitchen replaced some years back, I roughed out what
we wanted on graph paper - I made some scale footprints of units and we
moved them around. We then went to several places, picked one, got them
to do a design, got a price etc, and made a decision. As the units were
a standard size, we were able to make some last minute changes- within
limits- eg we swapped the (under counter) fridge and freezer around.

I'll be going back this lunchtime to ask for more explicit information.

It's clear their "default" preference is to to use the design service, and
indeed we will....along with those of a couple of other vendors.

Have not yet checked out Howdens (mentioned elsewhere).
They have a local depot so will also check that out today.

Haven't checked recently but they used to have a tradesman only policy and
will send you away if you are a domestic customer and start to ask prices

tim