Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default magnet kitchens?

Guys,
Anyone dealt with Magnet before? I am fitting a new kitchen and new utility
room. From looking on their website and their fantastic on-line virtual
planner I am thinking of ordering from them. I want good quality but not
for stupidly high cost.
Do they have solid drawer bottoms and cabinet backs? Do they supply only
'cos I want to fit it myself.

Any other kitchen alternatives? Obviously B+Q et al, but any others you
guys might have got on with well?

On another note, is the current trend that the utility units style should
match the kitchens?

Thanks, Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keyser Sose wrote:
Guys,
Any other kitchen alternatives? Obviously B+Q et al, but any others you
guys might have got on with well?
Thanks, Steve

We looked at loads last year and ordered form Wicks. Not the stuff you
turn up and take away but the stuff you have to order. Solid wood doors
and decent backs and bottoms. Also when I broke a wall bracket they
send me a replacement free.

Mike Cole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keyser Sose" wrote in message
Guys,
Anyone dealt with Magnet before? I am fitting a new kitchen and new utility
room. From looking on their website and their fantastic on-line virtual
planner I am thinking of ordering from them. I want good quality but not
for stupidly high cost.
Do they have solid drawer bottoms and cabinet backs? Do they supply only
'cos I want to fit it myself.

They do a variety of draw types, and will supply only. I think that you will
find thatJanuary is the best time to buy as they offer an extra 10% discount

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:14:01 -0000, Keyser Sose wrote:

Anyone dealt with Magnet before?

Yes, I'd never, ever order from them again. They are a bunch of lying ****s

They never order the correct items, they lie about stock levels, they will
hnave you running backwards and forwards to the depot to pick up items
which will always be wrong, or not in stock.

We ordered a complete kitchen. They delivered half of what we had ordered
but every item was wrong. The work top was the wrong type, the base units
were the wrong hand - left hand opening where we had ordered right. The
wall units the wrong size. An entire wall section missing, no decor panels
no handles. The "free gift" promised never arrived, the "compensation"
offered was never given.

In the end it took over a year to get all the items we had ordered and in
the meantime they delivered four times and ****ed up the order every time.

Only order from Magnet if you are a masochist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Keyser Sose
writes
Guys,
Anyone dealt with Magnet before? I am fitting a new kitchen and new utility
room. From looking on their website and their fantastic on-line virtual
planner I am thinking of ordering from them. I want good quality but not
for stupidly high cost.

No idea - but when they ask you for an item you use in the kitchen, take
a dildo

.... and report back

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keyser Sose wrote:

Guys,
Anyone dealt with Magnet before? I am fitting a new kitchen and new utility
room. From looking on their website and their fantastic on-line virtual
planner I am thinking of ordering from them. I want good quality but not
for stupidly high cost.
Do they have solid drawer bottoms and cabinet backs? Do they supply only
'cos I want to fit it myself.

Any other kitchen alternatives? Obviously B+Q et al, but any others you
guys might have got on with well?

The reps from Magnet recently called on me and were dissapointed that I
had used Howdens for my new kitchen. They emphasized that they would
have beat any quote for the order. I have used them for other items and
found them to be okay and have friends who have had kitchens off them.
They are usually competative anyway. In my particular case I wanted
cushion close drawers and these do not come on there competative trade
range. As another has pointed out though he has had difficulties with
their supply. Don't pay them until the order is complete if there are
any worries here. I chose the same for the utility room but don't know
what the current fashion is.
Regards
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 02:22:44 GMT, raden wrote:

No idea - but when they ask you for an item you use in the kitchen, take
a dildo

From the ads, it doesn't seem to matter what you take, they give you the
same kitchen. Which is pretty much like real life.

IF someone brought in a bunch of dead rocket like that and showed it to me,
I'd point out that they don't know the first thing about cooking and
suggest storage for ready meals and a microwave. Possibly a storage rack
for cookbooks. If they came with a blowtorch I'd point out that they are a
sucker for TV chef syndrome.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-27, Steve Firth wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:14:01 -0000, Keyser Sose wrote:

Anyone dealt with Magnet before?

Yes, I'd never, ever order from them again. They are a bunch of lying ****s

Weird. Are you me?

They treated us exactly the same, only with added rudeness. I too would
never go there again.

You mean you let them get away with it, or did you manage to exact
compensation and revenge?

Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Sose
Guys,
Anyone dealt with Magnet before? I am fitting a new kitchen and new utility
room. From looking on their website and their fantastic on-line virtual
planner I am thinking of ordering from them. I want good quality but not
for stupidly high cost.
Do they have solid drawer bottoms and cabinet backs? Do they supply only
'cos I want to fit it myself.

Any other kitchen alternatives? Obviously B+Q et al, but any others you
guys might have got on with well?

On another note, is the current trend that the utility units style should
match the kitchens?

Thanks, Steve

We have just recently ordered a kitchen from Magnet and i can report that everything we ordered arrived when they said it would on the day they said it would with nothing broken or missing.
They have done ok my me thats all i can go on - also all the units were pre-built which made all the difference when i fitted the thing.
Hope this helps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-27, Steve Firth wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:14:01 -0000, Keyser Sose wrote:

Anyone dealt with Magnet before?

Yes, I'd never, ever order from them again. They are a bunch of lying ****s

Weird. Are you me?

They treated us exactly the same, only with added rudeness. I too would
never go there again.

You mean you let them get away with it, or did you manage to exact
compensation and revenge?

We cancelled our entire order. Fortunately, we'd not given a deposit.
And my revenge is persuading people not to use them.

Excellent. Hopefully some of the things were special order...

Mind you.. the margins are so huge (whoops) that they probably wouldn't notice.
Also, that would require competence and in any case when someone is incompetent
they either go on blissfully unaware or if they are aware, don't
advertise it more than
necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keyser Sose" wrote in message
Guys,
Anyone dealt with Magnet before? I am fitting a new kitchen and new
utility room. From looking on their website and their fantastic on-line
virtual planner I am thinking of ordering from them. I want good quality
but not for stupidly high cost.
Do they have solid drawer bottoms and cabinet backs? Do they supply only
'cos I want to fit it myself.

Any other kitchen alternatives? Obviously B+Q et al, but any others you
guys might have got on with well?

On another note, is the current trend that the utility units style should
match the kitchens?

Thanks, Steve

Well, we've had two kitchens from Howdens (trade arm of MFI and units
pre-built so we just fitted) and they were excellent, both in quality and in
correctness of order, delivery etc.).

Ev.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:16:29 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

You mean you let them get away with it, or did you manage to exact
compensation and revenge?

In my case I turned up day after day (the Magnet outlet was opposite my
place of employment) and complained. I stopped people going into the
premises and warned them what had happened. After a week of this, when I
had actually persuaded about 50 people to look elsewhere they started to
take notice of my complaints.

They then delivered the kitchen, three times, different load each time.
When I called them and asked them to take away the surplus units they
refused. How the hell they make a profit is beyond me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-27, Steve Firth wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:14:01 -0000, Keyser Sose wrote:

Anyone dealt with Magnet before?

Yes, I'd never, ever order from them again. They are a bunch of lying ****s

Weird. Are you me?

It feels like it sometimes but I think Magnet are just ****s who treat
every customer this way. Despite my objecting, a builder doing some work
for us insisted on sourcing a bullseye window from Magnet last summer.

The frame took six weeks to deliver. I picked up the glass last week.

So there's no change in their ability to cock up an order.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keyser Sose" wrote in message
Guys,
Anyone dealt with Magnet before? I am fitting a new kitchen and new
utility room. From looking on their website and their fantastic on-line
virtual planner I am thinking of ordering from them. I want good quality
but not for stupidly high cost.
Do they have solid drawer bottoms and cabinet backs? Do they supply only
'cos I want to fit it myself.

Any other kitchen alternatives? Obviously B+Q et al, but any others you
guys might have got on with well?

On another note, is the current trend that the utility units style should
match the kitchens?

MFi supply the casings ready built so you just fit the doors -
I found the drawers to be string enough on metal runners but the backs of
the cupboards
were just thin hardboard
--
Vass
YZF-R1, CBR1000F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:33:31 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

We cancelled our entire order. Fortunately, we'd not given a deposit.
And my revenge is persuading people not to use them.

Excellent. Hopefully some of the things were special order...

Mind you.. the margins are so huge (whoops) that they probably wouldn't notice.

Our experience with them was the same.

I'm sure they've been in financial trouble at more than one period in
the recent past, and IIRC been bought out. They've closed stores and
reduced their range, and no longer do bedroom furniture.

Also, that would require competence and in any case when someone is incompetent
they either go on blissfully unaware or if they are aware, don't
advertise it more than necessary.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek Geldard wrote:

I'm sure they've been in financial trouble at more than one period in
the recent past, and IIRC been bought out. They've closed stores and
reduced their range, and no longer do bedroom furniture.

I noticed a joint TV ad the other day that included magnet, moben, and
dolphin all together... that ought to be enough to frigten off anyone!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

legin wrote:

They are usually competative anyway. In my particular case I wanted
cushion close drawers and these do not come on there competative trade
range.

You can get these for retrofit to any range easily enough:

And I quite like these:

because you can simply dispense with the mounting holder when needed,
drill a 10mm hole and stick the plunger straight in it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

Keyser Sose wrote:
Guys,
Anyone dealt with Magnet before? I am fitting a new kitchen and new utility
room. From looking on their website and their fantastic on-line virtual
planner I am thinking of ordering from them. I want good quality but not
for stupidly high cost.
Do they have solid drawer bottoms and cabinet backs? Do they supply only
'cos I want to fit it myself.

Any other kitchen alternatives? Obviously B+Q et al, but any others you
guys might have got on with well?

On another note, is the current trend that the utility units style should
match the kitchens?

Thanks, Steve

A work colleague ordered £2000 worth of units from them - via his
builder friend on the basis of getting the units at trade price. A few
days later he noticed identical units for half as much at one of the
sheds.

He phoned Magnet up to complain and the guy immediatly knocked £800
off the price.

This confirmed my suspicions that Magnet are way over priced on a par
with the likes of Anglian Conservatories etc. IIRC, their brochure has
some crazy MRP prices something like £300 for a double base unit.

When I have seen Magnet kitchens fitted - even after years of use, I
have never noticed any added value to justify the inflated prices. They
trade on snob value of the name so that people can say "Oh, we have a
Magnet kitchen" which translates to "We are considerably richer then
you".

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Dec 2006 06:18:25 -0800, "dg" wrote:

When I have seen Magnet kitchens fitted - even after years of use, I
have never noticed any added value to justify the inflated prices. They
trade on snob value of the name so that people can say "Oh, we have a
Magnet kitchen" which translates to "We are considerably richer then
you".

Surely "We *were* considerably richer than you" ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-29 14:18:25 +0000, "dg" said:

When I have seen Magnet kitchens fitted - even after years of use, I
have never noticed any added value to justify the inflated prices. They
trade on snob value of the name so that people can say "Oh, we have a
Magnet kitchen" which translates to "We are considerably richer then
you".

dg

If they were talking about Smallbone or similar, possibly, but not Magnet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Dec 2006 15:49:30 GMT, Huge wrote:

We rented a holiday cottage once, which had a Smallbone kitchen.

It was crap.

Our local market town has a "Clive Christian" kitchen showroom. They are
even worse than Smallbone. Sub-Ikea quality kitchen units sold with a load
of waffle as if they were something special.

http://www.luxist.com/2006/02/12/cli...tian-kitchens/

I can honestly say anyone who spends $250,000 on one of these kitchens
needs a trip to their shrink first.

Anyway, Smallbone of Devizes isn't it? I've been to Devizes a few times,
it's not that far away from here. What impresses me is that despite there
being many people, there only appear to be three faces.

banjo music
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-29 14:18:25 +0000, "dg" said:

When I have seen Magnet kitchens fitted - even after years of use, I
have never noticed any added value to justify the inflated prices. They
trade on snob value of the name so that people can say "Oh, we have a
Magnet kitchen" which translates to "We are considerably richer then
you".

dg

If they were talking about Smallbone or similar, possibly, but not Magnet.

We rented a holiday cottage once, which had a Smallbone kitchen.

It was crap.

Oh, I wasn't recommending it or vouching for its quality, simply using
it as a better illustration
of a wealth statement than Magnet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-29 14:18:25 +0000, "dg" said:

When I have seen Magnet kitchens fitted - even after years of use, I
have never noticed any added value to justify the inflated prices. They
trade on snob value of the name so that people can say "Oh, we have a
Magnet kitchen" which translates to "We are considerably richer then
you".

dg

If they were talking about Smallbone or similar, possibly, but not
Magnet.

We rented a holiday cottage once, which had a Smallbone kitchen.

It was crap.

Just like the wab page then.

I'm left watching a screen stating:

Smallbone of Devizes - Flash detection in progress...

It seems incapable of doing anything if one hasn't installed it.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:20:00 -0000 Tim..... wrote :
I'm left watching a screen stating:

Smallbone of Devizes - Flash detection in progress...

If you're not into Flash then perhaps you're not a potential
customer g

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I make handmade kitchens and will often fit rigid built off the shelf
kitchens for friends. All of the companies mentioned have there +ve's
and -ve's. Magnets offer reasonable quality kitchens at a price which
can be competative if you buy through an account holder. Howdens (my
prefered route) offer a great service to the trade and at great prices
(I have just fitted a kitchen in my local hall 4.2mx 3.5m for £3.2k
including a double sink, handwashing sink, oven, hob, extractor and
splashback- appliances sourced elsewhere and I am walking away with a
nice amount of money too). You will never get superb quality from a pre
manufactured kitchen, but installed properly with all edges treated for
water ingress, you'll get a kitchen that will easily last 15 years. My
handmade kitchens would last a lifetime, but cost 5 times more. And
people often want a change every 10 years too.

What does anoy me is hearing stories of folks buying moben kitchens and
the likes and paying the same sort of money that would get them a
bespoke handmade kitchen with no MDF or chipboard. A handmade kitchen
will typically cost £16k inc granite worktops.

As for units only having thin backs, again you get what you pay for,
but there is no need for a strong back other than piece of mind. It
doesnt add to the rigidity of the units. These premanufactured units
are well designed to give a combination of strength versus weight and
material cost.

One good thing about magnet and howdens is there stock level... where
else could you walk out with a kitchen the same day as ordering it.
MFI, Homebase, B&Q etc- unless buying their budget range- will take
typically 6 weeks to get it to you, and then if there are things
missing you need to wait another 6 weeks.

Hoping this is of help
Calum Sabey
NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I ordered a Magnet kitchen and got only a partial delivery - shelves
missing. Couldn't get the people at the store to obtain them so after a
month we walked into the store and took the shelves from the display
kitchens. The staff threatened to call the police, but with all their
customers watching fascinated, they didn't have the bottle.

But the price was good (Magnet ALWAYS have a 50% off sale); and the quality
too.

Davy

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Keyser Sose" wrote in message
Guys,
Anyone dealt with Magnet before? I am fitting a new kitchen and new

utility
room. From looking on their website and their fantastic on-line virtual
planner I am thinking of ordering from them. I want good quality but

not
for stupidly high cost.
Do they have solid drawer bottoms and cabinet backs? Do they supply

only
'cos I want to fit it myself.

They do a variety of draw types, and will supply only. I think that you

will
find thatJanuary is the best time to buy as they offer an extra 10%

discount

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davy
writes
I ordered a Magnet kitchen and got only a partial delivery -

Prolly 'cause they knew you were a TPB

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-30 18:47:16 +0000, raden said:

In message , Davy
writes
I ordered a Magnet kitchen and got only a partial delivery -

Prolly 'cause they knew you were a TPB

??

Thinkpad button?

Swedish Library of Talking Books and Braille?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-12-30 18:47:16 +0000, raden said:

In message , Davy
writes
I ordered a Magnet kitchen and got only a partial delivery -

Prolly 'cause they knew you were a TPB

??

Thinkpad button?

Swedish Library of Talking Books and Braille?

Not a contextual poster ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

Not a contextual poster ...

Pardon?

TPB Terrorism Prevention Branch (United Nations Office on Drugs
and Crime)
TPB Tetraphenyl Butadiene
TPB The Pirate Bay
TPB Theory of Planned Behavior
TPB Time-Phased Budget
TPB Toronto Preservation Board (Canada)
TPB Trade Paperback
TPB Trailer Park Boys (TV series)

[From http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TPB]

I'm still non the wiser...
--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Top Posting *******?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-01 01:35:02 +0000, raden said:

In message , John
Rumm writes
Andy Wade wrote:

raden wrote:

Not a contextual poster ...
Pardon?
TPB Terrorism Prevention Branch (United Nations Office on Drugs
and Crime)
TPB Tetraphenyl Butadiene
TPB The Pirate Bay
TPB Theory of Planned Behavior
TPB Time-Phased Budget
TPB Toronto Preservation Board (Canada)
TPB Trade Paperback
TPB Trailer Park Boys (TV series)
[From http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TPB]
I'm still non the wiser...

Top Posting *******?

At last ...

I must admit that I did think Trailer Park Boy.

Sort of like this Septics' answer to chavs

http://www.trailertrashdoll.com/

magnet on tv screen david wilson Electronics Repair 19 December 2nd 06 12:13 PM
magnet on tv screen david wilson Electronics Repair 0 September 3rd 06 10:23 PM
mosquito magnet yourname Home Repair 8 August 5th 06 03:17 PM
How to partly demagnetise a magnet ? Al UK diy 19 August 16th 05 07:34 PM
Can I degauss my TV with a magnet? Nick Alexander Electronics Repair 30 April 15th 04 03:57 AM