Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Magnet Kitchens

On 24/01/18 12:04, GB wrote:
On 24/01/2018 11:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:33:04 +0000, Clive Arthur wrote:

In my recent experience, Howdens turned out much more expensive than
using Wickes units,

IIRC Howdens units are factory built ie they come as units ready to
be fitted not as flat pack to be assembled and then fitted. Makes
sense for a "trade" installer, they don't want to waste time
assmebling units. The snag is you need somewhere to put the units...

Are the Wickes units flat pack or pre-built?

They do a range of flat pack ones available in-store. Just about to buy
some. They'll deliver free of charge for the sort of money you are
likely to be spending.

Some years back, may be 8/9, when we were looking around for our
kitchen, we looked at Wickes. I wasn't impressed.

Magnet seemed quite good.

We also looked at Ikea, they were better and I someone we knew had got
one and swore by it. However, we decided on a local company which had,
as still has, a very good reputation. A neighbour had one fitted just
before us and they spoke very highly of them. The only issues we've had
have been the appliances- AEG. We had 'everything'- oven, combi
microwave oven, dishwasher, induction hob, fridge, freezer (both under
the bench), the hood isn't AEG- I can't recall the make. The microwave
was a PIA at first, it was all but replaced. The dishwasher was also a
PIA and gave up the ghost just out of the 5 year warranty. The hinges on
the fridge and freezer have failed several times, as have other bits.
The main oven, hood, and the hob have been fine. The AEG hinges are
about £40 each, although you can get then elsewhere for less. I'd not
buy AEG again. Current dishwasher is a SMEG which seems OK. We've tried
Bosch, not impressed- it lasted about 3 years.

The best appliances we've ever had were an Ariston Washing machine- 17
years, with a new door seal and maybe a door switch- and a Tricity
Microwave, also something like 17 years, with a couple of O rings to
replace the drive belt. It was still working when we disposed of it due
to being 'tatty'. The Ariston coped with the washing for the children
when small so got a lot of use in its later years. I suspect it would
have lasted longer but for our moving house- I thing it took a 'bump'
and then main bearing started to leak.