Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

On Thursday, 23 October 2014 13:08:15 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Adrian wrote
whisky-dave wrote

Young houueholders a few in number because they can;t afford to become
householders. If you end up renting yuo arent; realyl allowd to do any
major DIY.

Well you could chnage a plug on a lead if they weren't all moulted.

Living up to your name again?

Yeah, clearly blotto most of the time.

Nah it's dsylexia where I'm thinking ahead of
what I'm typing and the odd typo of course.

There is a clear correlation between the time
of day of the worst of your 'typos' and when
you are clearly completely blotto, again.

Then prove it with some evidence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

But you should also see more who buy a run down
dump and who can't afford to do anything but DIY
to turn it into something much more decent to live in.

Run down dumps are too expensive to DIY,

Bull****.

Talking out your arse again I see.

We'll see...

If not then find such a property that is run
down which an average person could afford.

No one said anything about the average person.

JUST that a run down dump is obviously going
to be cheaper to buy and DIY than buying the
same thing which isnt a run down dump.

Remmebr we're talking of those below 30 year old.

Bull**** we are. That is a different thread entirely.

the trade by them up.

Anyone is free to buy one too.

anyone can buy anything including the mona lisa
when it next coems up for sale, was that your point ?

The point is that buying it run down and DIYing it
is going to be cheaper than buying the same thing
not run down, and that if the same thing not run
down is out of your price bracket, the run down
one may not be, stupid.

ofm course perhaps yuo can find a run down
dump that's affordable then good luck.

They are sure to be cheaper than the
same place that isnt run down, stupid.

Yes they are stupid, but that doesn;t
mean they are affordable for teh majority.

No one except you said anything about any majority, stupid.

http://www.propertyrenovate.com/
here's a run down property
Price: Ł649,950
Bedrooms: 3
Area: Chiswick
Type: Terrace

**** all of the run down dumps are priced at anything like that.

So show me them then, there's quite a number in eastern Europe
even France, I know as a friend was looking to buy such a property.

And if the non run down ones are out of your price bracket, a run
down one that you can DIY may well be a viable proposition for some.

Here yuo go
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/det...eSXi0AWR7Vk.97
a nice littel place perhaps you'll install a swimming pool.

Few people can afford the time or money
or have the skill set to build there own house.

Bull****. There's **** all skill involved.

There's quite a bit.....

Bull****.

bit of course youre such an idiod you wouldn;t know that.

You're face down in the mud, as always.

I did in fact designed and built my own house from
scratch and did virtually all the work myself as well.

friends in rented accomendation have been
told they aren't allowed to paint or decorate
themselevs they have to get someone in to do it.

Sure, but that aint bureaucratic control, that's the landlord.

Doesn;t change anything it's in the rental agreement.

That doesnt make it bureaucratic control.

Its certainly true that more are more likely to have
their windows replaced professionally than doing
that themselves tho.

Well these all those regulations you have to check for,

There are **** all regulations involved with windows.

you know nothing.

Easy to claim...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 23 October 2014 13:08:15 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Adrian wrote
whisky-dave wrote

Young houueholders a few in number because they can;t afford to
become
householders. If you end up renting yuo arent; realyl allowd to do
any
major DIY.

Well you could chnage a plug on a lead if they weren't all moulted.

Living up to your name again?

Yeah, clearly blotto most of the time.

Nah it's dsylexia where I'm thinking ahead of
what I'm typing and the odd typo of course.

There is a clear correlation between the time
of day of the worst of your 'typos' and when
you are clearly completely blotto, again.

Then prove it with some evidence.

I just told you what the evidence is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:06:44 AM UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
... added an Argos collection point "coming soon"

My local Argos (and many others) is now an 'Ebay collection point'

At some point all these various 'final mile' delivery services will amalgamate and become something like a 'post office'.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:51:17 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
JUST that a run down dump is obviously going
to be cheaper to buy and DIY than buying the
same thing which isnt a run down dump.

I thought that.

However buying the non-run-down-dump is a known cost, whereas DIY always has 'contingencies'.

And with house prices falling and copper prices rising it would probably have been cheaper to move house than rewire this place.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2014 09:41, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:50:22 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

That age is often the peak of career progression, mixed in with having a
social life and/or small children - so often cash-rich/time-poor.

The comments are usually "I'm hopeless at DIY" or "my partner is
hopeless at DIY".

A lot of DIY involves teaching yourself and learning by mistakes,
many people have to work longer hours or have a lot of their day taken
up traveling to work than in the past so don't get the opportunity to
learn on the job while younger . By the time the children come along ,
often later than in the past it is much easier if you have the income
to just call someone like yourself in who will have suitable tools,a
knowledge of who stocks a washer that may do a ping****it and whose
tube of gripfill hasn't gone solid in the months since you last used
it . A lot of time can be lost out of some bodies 48 hour leave
between Friday and Monday just getting stuff.

the option of a cheap and low-hassle tradesman (that's you) flopping a
flyer through the letterbox.

That isn't me. I'm not cheap and I don't flop flyers through letter
boxes. I am hassle free.

Good value rather than cheap then, and it's all relative . A few hours
of your time may not be much more than taking the family out for the
day. How do your rates compare say to spending to 90 minutes or so
attending a premier league football match.?

No idea, never been to one.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2014 09:22, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:50:22 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Have you considered that the 30-somethings you meet professionally
might not be representative of EVERY 30-something?

Clearly, I am talking about the 30-somethings I meet

Exactly - the ones who are paying for DIYable jobs to be done.

I'm surprised by the number of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2014 09:01, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 22/10/2014 14:08, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 October 2014 13:38:30 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:

"We have large stores full of rubbish that nobody wants to buy, so
we can make no money."

There was a suggestion that younger householders are less keen on
DIY.

Young houueholders a few in number because they can;t afford to
become householders. If you end up renting yuo arent; realyl allowd
to do any major DIY. Well you could chnage a plug on a lead if they
weren't all moulted. Most things can be brought cheaper than it'd
cost to build something similar.

Most can't even assemble flatpack.

That is probably because they naively try to follow the instructions.

Which are only the manufacturers opinion of how it should be done...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-10-22, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

polygonum wrote:

If precedent means anything, Focus became Matalan.

IIRC Focus Penrith became Wickes.

Texas became Homebase

Mourning becomes Electra.

Moonlight becomes you...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

"We have large stores full of rubbish that nobody wants to buy, so
we can make no money."

There was a suggestion that younger householders are less keen on
DIY.

Young houueholders a few in number because they can;t afford to
become householders. If you end up renting yuo arent; realyl allowd
to do any major DIY. Well you could chnage a plug on a lead if they
weren't all moulted. Most things can be brought cheaper than it'd
cost to build something similar.

Most can't even assemble flatpack.

That is probably because they naively try to follow the instructions.

Which are only the manufacturers opinion of how it should be done...

I put the instructions to one side after I have checked the contents
list and just put things together until they look right. I learned to do
that with Meccano, which had deliberate errors in the instructions, to
test the competence of the builder.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Roland Perry wrote

... added an Argos collection point "coming soon"

My local Argos (and many others) is now an 'Ebay collection point'

At some point all these various 'final mile' delivery services
will amalgamate and become something like a 'post office'.

Bet they don't. The couriers never did that, for a reason.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

JUST that a run down dump is obviously going
to be cheaper to buy and DIY than buying the
same thing which isnt a run down dump.

I thought that.

However buying the non-run-down-dump is a known
cost, whereas DIY always has 'contingencies'.

Yes, but you do know that DIY done properly has to be
cheaper than paying someone else to do the same work.

And with house prices falling and copper prices rising it would
probably have been cheaper to move house than rewire this place.

I bet it wouldn't if you know what you are doing and can DIY the rewiring.

And I wasn't talking about rewiring anyway, I was talking about all DIY of
houses.

And falling house prices are irrelevant given that you would
have to sell the current one in the current house price market.

And the worst of the completely run down dumps need a hell
of a lot more work done on them than just rewiring as well so
there is a hell of a lot to be saved by doing that work yourself
over buying the same thing that someone else has already done
that to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
Have to admit ... I never think of going to Homebase for anything, wife
occasionally buys some plants.

I have bought bedding plants from them. They tend to look after them
better than B&Q. But that might just be a local branch thing.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 October 2014 13:51:17 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

But you should also see more who buy a run down
dump and who can't afford to do anything but DIY
to turn it into something much more decent to live in.

Run down dumps are too expensive to DIY,

Bull****.

Talking out your arse again I see.

We'll see...

Yes we have.

We can search property list to see what's avaible so do it.
I did 5 years ago when a friends was looking for a place to DIY.
Threr's was nothing he could afford in the end he brought a canel boat for about 3k, there was nothing for under 15K in the UK.
Quite a number in france and a lot in Bulgaria.

But if you really knew what you were talking about it'd be quite easy for you to post a link to an affortable property suitable for DIY.
But you can;t can you.

If not then find such a property that is run
down which an average person could afford.

No one said anything about the average person.

So you were only talking about companies or mulit-millionairs is that it.

No **** sherlock.

anyone can buy anything including the mona lisa
when it next coems up for sale, was that your point ?

The point is that buying it run down and DIYing it
is going to be cheaper than buying the same thing
not run down, and that if the same thing not run
down is out of your price bracket, the run down
one may not be, stupid.

It may not be but for the vast majority of people looking for a home it is.

ofm course perhaps yuo can find a run down
dump that's affordable then good luck.

They are sure to be cheaper than the
same place that isnt run down, stupid.

Yes they are stupid, but that doesn;t
mean they are affordable for teh majority.

No one except you said anything about any majority, stupid.

There you go again moron.

OK if it's NOT for the majority you still need to find a property
for someone to do DIY on.

And if the non run down ones are out of your price bracket, a run
down one that you can DIY may well be a viable proposition for some.

It might be but unlikely for a DIY person, that is the point.

Bull****. There's **** all skill involved.

There's quite a bit.....

Bull****.

The why can you find sucha place.

I did in fact designed and built my own house from
scratch and did virtually all the work myself as well.

Well done then. How long did it take and how much money did you need to start.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 October 2014 01:28:58 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but you do know that DIY done properly has to be
cheaper than paying someone else to do the same work.

Doesn;t have to be, depends on the DIY.
If I want a tree cut down I could do it myself, if I had the tools the ladders the PPE and the skills, but I haven't so I'd get a 'man' in to do it.
Maybe I could have replaced the roof, but I don't have any scaffolding or an extra pair of hands so I got someone in to do it.
Same with the 'gas leak' couldn;t DIY.

And with house prices falling and copper prices rising it would
probably have been cheaper to move house than rewire this place.

I bet it wouldn't if you know what you are doing and can DIY the rewiring.

and if you can't or don't have the neccessary certificates you're breaking the law.

And I wasn't talking about rewiring anyway, I was talking about all DIY of
houses.

which doesn;t include rewiring ?

And the worst of the completely run down dumps need a hell
of a lot more work done on them than just rewiring as well so
there is a hell of a lot to be saved by doing that work yourself
over buying the same thing that someone else has already done
that to.

Of course if you add a swimming pool you'll save even more put solar panels on teh roof, and a helipad but few DIY peole have all rthe skills neccessary.
I don;t know anyone that is gas safe, a qualified electrition and roofer, and builder, and decorator, plumber, computer geek to set up a home network server, carpenter.
I'm betting you can do all these things, but I wouldn;t trust you to wipe your own arse without a guide.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

But you should also see more who buy a run down
dump and who can't afford to do anything but DIY
to turn it into something much more decent to live in.

Run down dumps are too expensive to DIY,

Bull****.

Talking out your arse again I see.

We'll see...

Yes we have.

Yep, you face down in the mud, as always.

We can search property list to see what's avaible so do it.

Don't need to. There are plenty of examples
of people doing it in the TV house reno series.

I did 5 years ago when a friends was looking for a
place to DIY. Threr's was nothing he could afford

Irrelevant to what others can afford.

in the end he brought a canel boat for about 3k,
there was nothing for under 15K in the UK.

Plenty can afford more than that.

Quite a number in france and a lot in Bulgaria.

So your stupid claim has blown up in your face
and covered you with black stuff, as always.

But if you really knew what you were talking about it'd be quite easy
for you to post a link to an affortable property suitable for DIY.

Plenty can afford more than 15K.

But you can;t can you.

You're wrong, as always.

If not then find such a property that is run
down which an average person could afford.

No one said anything about the average person.

So you were only talking about companies or mulit-millionairs is that it.

Nope, just someone who can afford more than the average
person because its not the first house they have owned.

JUST that a run down dump is obviously going
to be cheaper to buy and DIY than buying the
same thing which isnt a run down dump.

No **** sherlock.

So your stupid claim that it isnt possible by individuals
has blown up in your faced and covered you with black
stuff, again.

[...]

Plenty of those.

Even someone as stupid as you should have
noticed that there are quite a few places that
can be significantly improved with some DIY.

And if the non run down ones are out of your price bracket, a run
down one that you can DIY may well be a viable proposition for some.

It might be but unlikely for a DIY person,

Bull****. Its perfectly possible to update the kitchen
and bathrooms etc and even get real radical and
paint the place etc. Even someone as stupid as
you should be able to manage that if you weren't
completely blotto all the time.

that is the point.

Like hell it is. DIY aint rocket science, stupid.

Bull****. There's **** all skill involved.

There's quite a bit.....

Bull****.

The why can you find sucha place.

Try that again in english instead of gobbledegook
when not completely blotto, as you always are.

I did in fact designed and built my own house from
scratch and did virtually all the work myself as well.

Well done then. How long did it take

Couple of years.

and how much money did you need to start.

Not a cent. I did in fact have quite a lot of money
but was getting a very decent return on that in
the stockmarket and decided to see how feasible
it would be to do it entirely with borrowed money
because I was getting a better return on my funds
than I had to pay to borrow it.

Most people at least need land to build on.

And in my case that cost me the grand total of $3750
and I didn't even have to pay that up front, just had to
pay it off to the govt.

Bargin.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/commercial-...nd-/1085961955

pop into B&Q grab a few tools and marerials and you'll have a house in...
X years.

Sure, but that aint bureaucratic control, that's the landlord.

Doesn;t change anything it's in the rental agreement.

That doesn't make it bureaucratic control.

Still stops you DIYing.

But doesn't if you aint renting, stupid.

Its certainly true that more are more likely to have
their windows replaced professionally than doing
that themselves tho.

Well these all those regulations you have to check for,

There are **** all regulations involved with windows.

you know nothing.

Easy to claim...

yes, you continiuly prove it.

Bull**** with windows.

So why not prove me wrong by siting a suitable property.

There are hordes of those where buying a run down dump
and DIYing it makes a hell of a lot more sense than buying
the same thing that someone else had turned it from a run
down dump into a decent modern house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but you do know that DIY done properly has to be
cheaper than paying someone else to do the same work.

Doesn;t have to be, depends on the DIY.

You'd have to be completely hopeless at DIY for it not to be.

If I want a tree cut down I could do it myself,
if I had the tools the ladders the PPE and the
skills, but I haven't so I'd get a 'man' in to do it.

More fool you. It costs peanuts to get what you need at
garage/yard sales and there is **** all skill involved at all.

I designed and build my whole house on a bare block of
land and taught myself to weld because I prefer steel over
wood for everything from tables to gates and the bulk of
the house structure.

Maybe I could have replaced the roof,

No maybe about it in my case, I know I can
because I did all that myself personally too.

but I don't have any scaffolding

You don't need any scaffolding, I didn't have any.

or an extra pair of hands

Any of my mates supply that.

And I do that that for them too.

When I built my own house from scratch,
that triggered a bit of a rash of that with
quite a few of my mates and we did that
with each other's houses.

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the
easiest stuff, in one case one of them quite
literally painted the outside of the concrete
block place with a broom and a bucket of paint.

so I got someone in to do it.

More fool you.

Same with the 'gas leak' couldn;t DIY.

I've never got anyone to do anything like that.

And with house prices falling and copper prices rising it would
probably have been cheaper to move house than rewire this place.

I bet it wouldn't if you know what you are doing and can DIY the
rewiring.

and if you can't or don't have the neccessary certificates you're breaking
the law.

I don't give a flying red **** about the law.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

The only quibble he had with the wiring I did entirely myself
was that it was too neatly done and that no electrician would
have done it like that.

And I wasn't talking about rewiring anyway,
I was talking about all DIY of houses.

which doesn;t include rewiring ?

Corse it does, but includes a hell of a lot more than just that.

And the worst of the completely run down dumps need a hell
of a lot more work done on them than just rewiring as well so
there is a hell of a lot to be saved by doing that work yourself
over buying the same thing that someone else has already done
that to.

Of course if you add a swimming pool you'll
save even more put solar panels on teh roof,

Yep, most of my mates did both.

I didn't with the solar panels because I had decided that
with the absolutely certain change of govt we were going
to see, that they would pull the plug on the 60c/KWH gross
feed in tariff where you get paid that even if you use that
electricity yourself. In fact they did pull the plug on that
when the govt did change, and you now only get 2c instead.

But they caved in with those who had got their panels
installed before change of govt and they still get the 60c.

and a helipad but few DIY peole have all rthe skills neccessary.

Its even easier to do pools and solar panels than the house.

Helipads in spades, nothing special about them at all.

I don;t know anyone that is gas safe,

You don't need to be when doing work on your own house.

a qualified electrition

Two of my mates are, one of them has since died.

and roofer,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

and builder,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

and decorator,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

plumber,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

computer geek to set up a home network server,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

carpenter.

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

I'm betting you can do all these things,

Yep, and a hell of a lot more than that too, particularly with
computing and flying aircraft and with dogs and children
and cars too.

And am quite capable of working out what
matters with anything else I need to do too.

but I wouldn;t trust you to wipe your own arse without a guide.

You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.

Its obvious why you are blotto most of the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 October 2014 12:13:05 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote

We can search property list to see what's avaible so do it.

Don't need to. There are plenty of examples
of people doing it in the TV house reno series.

you're right I've seen them, the last one the copuple had about 1/2 million to spend on renovating a farm. The average couple looking for their fist home are unlikely to have that sort of money.

I did 5 years ago when a friends was looking for a
place to DIY. Threr's was nothing he could afford

Irrelevant to what others can afford.

It was relivent to them.
That's what yuo can;t understand.

in the end he brought a canel boat for about 3k,
there was nothing for under 15K in the UK.

Plenty can afford more than that.

and even more can't, most of teh homeless can;t.

But if you really knew what you were talking about it'd be quite easy
for you to post a link to an affortable property suitable for DIY.

Plenty can afford more than 15K.

The they can put a deposoit down then can;t they.

JUST that a run down dump is obviously going
to be cheaper to buy and DIY than buying the
same thing which isnt a run down dump.

No **** sherlock.

So your stupid claim that it isnt possible by individuals
has blown up in your faced and covered you with black
stuff, again.

No it hasn't it's the number of them that can.

There you go again moron.

We'll see...

OK if it's NOT for the majority you still need
to find a property for someone to do DIY on.

Plenty of those.

care to prove it, although there's one here.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-fort-for-sale

Even someone as stupid as you should have
noticed that there are quite a few places that
can be significantly improved with some DIY.

Most places can be improved by DIY but you still have to be able to afford them first. Most can;t even get a mortgage for a well maintained property.
You try gettign a mortgage on something that needs a lot of 'DIY' then the mortgage company is unlikely to give you a mortgage.

And if the non run down ones are out of your price bracket, a run
down one that you can DIY may well be a viable proposition for some.

It might be but unlikely for a DIY person,

Bull****. Its perfectly possible to update the kitchen
and bathrooms etc and even get real radical and
paint the place etc. Even someone as stupid as
you should be able to manage that if you weren't
completely blotto all the time.

All ready done it, but I needed money to do it, and you need to own the property.

that is the point.

Like hell it is. DIY aint rocket science, stupid.

Depends on what sort of DIY doesn;t it.

Bull****. There's **** all skill involved.

There's quite a bit.....

Bull****.

The why can you find sucha place.

Why can't you find such a place.

Try that again in english instead of gobbledegook
when not completely blotto, as you always are.

Well what's your , are yuo just pethetic and stupifd by default.

I did in fact designed and built my own house from
scratch and did virtually all the work myself as well.

Well done then. How long did it take

Couple of years.

Most of us are working for a living, we can't take a couple of years off.

and how much money did you need to start.

Not a cent. I did in fact have quite a lot of money
but was getting a very decent return on that in
the stockmarket and decided to see how feasible
it would be to do it entirely with borrowed money
because I was getting a better return on my funds
than I had to pay to borrow it.

so a totally differnt situation from most.
That's why you haven;t got a clue.

Most people at least need land to build on.

And in my case that cost me the grand total of $3750
and I didn't even have to pay that up front, just had to
pay it off to the govt.

What country was this in ?

Its certainly true that more are more likely to have
their windows replaced professionally than doing
that themselves tho.

Well these all those regulations you have to check for,

There are **** all regulations involved with windows.

you know nothing.

Easy to claim...

yes, you continiuly prove it.

Bull**** with windows.

You realy don't know much do you.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bui.../partf/windows

what about safety glass for certain areas and how high barried need to be on openable windows.

So why not prove me wrong by siting a suitable property.

There are hordes of those where buying a run down dump
and DIYing it makes a hell of a lot more sense than buying
the same thing that someone else had turned it from a run
down dump into a decent modern house.

Most people don't have that option.

How about you site such a property ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 October 2014 12:38:55 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but you do know that DIY done properly has to be
cheaper than paying someone else to do the same work.

Doesn;t have to be, depends on the DIY.

You'd have to be completely hopeless at DIY for it not to be.

Do you have a gas safe cert. ?

If I want a tree cut down I could do it myself,
if I had the tools the ladders the PPE and the
skills, but I haven't so I'd get a 'man' in to do it.

More fool you. It costs peanuts to get what you need at
garage/yard sales and there is **** all skill involved at all.

You really are an idiot.
If you want to cut a tree down you need to ask the council in case it's listed or otherwise protected.
If you have a brain you want to buy all the correct euipment or at least hire it, and that's not cheap, you'd have top get insurance too.

I designed and build my whole house on a bare block of
land and taught myself to weld because I prefer steel over
wood for everything from tables to gates and the bulk of
the house structure.

Have you taken up dentistry too.

Maybe I could have replaced the roof,

No maybe about it in my case, I know I can
because I did all that myself personally too.

well good for you.

but I don't have any scaffolding

You don't need any scaffolding, I didn't have any.

When I got my roof done it was a legal requirment.
But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.
I bet you never even used PPE and probbaly worked alone.

When I built my own house from scratch,

so you didn;t actually buid it yourself you had help.
Why didn;t yuo do it yourself as you said.

that triggered a bit of a rash of that with
quite a few of my mates and we did that
with each other's houses.

so you have to help out your mates how many years have you been doing that for.

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the
easiest stuff,

so that technoklutze mate of yours did he build his own house too ?

in one case one of them quite
literally painted the outside of the concrete
block place with a broom and a bucket of paint.

Was that because you were to stupid to do it as I thought you did the DIY yourself. When a mate of mine replaced my meter tails I did NOT cliam to do thaqt MYSELF as a DIY project, getting someone else to do yuor DIY is not you doing your DIY.
Did you design your own house too, or did a friend do it.

so I got someone in to do it.

More fool you.

why you got someone to paint your concrete why when you can do it yuorself.?

Same with the 'gas leak' couldn;t DIY.

I've never got anyone to do anything like that.

So if you had a gas leak you'd do nothing about it.

I bet it wouldn't if you know what you are doing and can DIY the
rewiring.

and if you can't or don't have the neccessary certificates you're breaking
the law.

I don't give a flying red **** about the law.

well that'sobvious isn;t it you don;t care about the legality of drugs
you don;t even mind telling peole how to commit suicide fropm helium.
So it's not suprise you'd break H&S regualtions.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

So that was a lie then wasnt; it.

The only quibble he had with the wiring I did entirely myself
was that it was too neatly done and that no electrician would
have done it like that.

yeah right, I bet he told you you smelt nice too.

Yep, most of my mates did both.

So you didn't DO IT YOURSELF then did you.

I didn't with the solar panels because I had decided that
with the absolutely certain change of govt we were going
to see, that they would pull the plug on the 60c/KWH gross
feed in tariff where you get paid that even if you use that
electricity yourself. In fact they did pull the plug on that
when the govt did change, and you now only get 2c instead.

But they caved in with those who had got their panels
installed before change of govt and they still get the 60c.

and a helipad but few DIY peole have all rthe skills neccessary.

Its even easier to do pools and solar panels than the house.

Helipads in spades, nothing special about them at all.

aprt from the approval of teh aviation authorities not that you or yuor mates would care.

I don;t know anyone that is gas safe,

You don't need to be when doing work on your own house.

YES YOU DO.
you really are an idiot and a dangerous one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

We can search property list to see what's avaible so do it.

Don't need to. There are plenty of examples
of people doing it in the TV house reno series.

you're right I've seen them, the last one the copuple
had about 1/2 million to spend on renovating a farm.

The bulk of those DIYing run down dumps that they
have bought at an auction in that series that concentrates
on auctions don't spend anything like that on their dumps.

The average couple

No one said anything about any average couple,
JUST that DIYing a run down dump is a VERY viable
alternative to buying the same place that someone
else has already paid professionals to do the work on.

looking for their fist home

We weren't just discussing first homes either.

are unlikely to have that sort of money.

Sure, but one of the real advantages of DIYing very
run down dumps is that the purchase price of the
dump can be possible and you can spend on the
DIYing as the money from your salary shows up
and have somewhere to live in the mean time and
stop ****ing any money against the wall on rent.

I did 5 years ago when a friends was looking for a
place to DIY. Threr's was nothing he could afford

Irrelevant to what others can afford.

It was relivent to them.

Irrelevant to what others can afford.

in the end he brought a canel boat for about 3k,
there was nothing for under 15K in the UK.

Plenty can afford more than that.

and even more can't, most of teh homeless can;t.

That is a microscopic part of the total market.

But if you really knew what you were talking
about it'd be quite easy for you to post a link
to an affortable property suitable for DIY.

Plenty can afford more than 15K.

The they can put a deposoit down then can;t they.

Wrong, as always. They can always just live in the
very run down dump and stop pouring their money
down the rat hole that is rent and do the DIY as the
salary shows up etc.

Bull****. Plenty who can DIY do it that way.

OK if it's NOT for the majority you still need
to find a property for someone to do DIY on.

Plenty of those.

care to prove it,

Watch that TV series that shows lots of them
doing that with dumps being auctioned with
all the detail of what they paid spelt out.

Even you when completely blotto should
be able to get that out of those programs.

although there's one here.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-fort-for-sale

There are vastly more run down houses
and units that go for MUCH less than that.

Even someone as stupid as you should have
noticed that there are quite a few places that
can be significantly improved with some DIY.

Most places can be improved by DIY but
you still have to be able to afford them first.

And that is why every run down dumps are
a good place to start if you can do the DIY.

Most can;t even get a mortgage for a well maintained property.

Bull****. And its much easier to get a mortgage
on a much cheaper very run down dump when
the repayments are going to be a much smaller
percentage of your total income.

You try gettign a mortgage on something
that needs a lot of 'DIY' then the mortgage
company is unlikely to give you a mortgage.

Bull****.

And if the non run down ones are out of your
price bracket, a run down one that you can DIY
may well be a viable proposition for some.

It might be but unlikely for a DIY person,

Bull****. Its perfectly possible to update the kitchen
and bathrooms etc and even get real radical and
paint the place etc. Even someone as stupid as
you should be able to manage that if you
weren't completely blotto all the time.

All ready done it, but I needed money to do it,

I didn't, I borrowed much more to build the
house from scratch on a bare block of land.

and you need to own the property.

Not always. Some landlords are happy to allow
renters to do that stuff when they are confident
that they know what they are doing DIY wise.

that is the point.

Like hell it is. DIY aint rocket science, stupid.

Depends on what sort of DIY doesn;t it.

No DIY is rocket science.

Building houses isnt either.

Bull****. There's **** all skill involved.

There's quite a bit.....

Bull****.

The why can you find sucha place.

Why can't you find such a place.

Because there are plenty in those TV series.

Try that again in english instead of gobbledegook
when not completely blotto, as you always are.

Well what's your , are yuo just pethetic and stupifd by default.

Can't even do what you are told.

I did in fact designed and built my own house from
scratch and did virtually all the work myself as well.

Well done then. How long did it take

Couple of years.

Most of us are working for a living, we can't take a couple of years off.

I didn't take a couple of years off, that's how
long it took while working full time as well.

and how much money did you need to start.

Not a cent. I did in fact have quite a lot of money
but was getting a very decent return on that in
the stockmarket and decided to see how feasible
it would be to do it entirely with borrowed money
because I was getting a better return on my funds
than I had to pay to borrow it.

so a totally differnt situation from most.

Nope, anyone can do it like that.

Most people at least need land to build on.

And in my case that cost me the grand total
of $3750 and I didn't even have to pay that
up front, just had to pay it off to the govt.

What country was this in ?

Australia.

You lot had something similar with council houses
in the sense that no money up front was needed
to buy the one you had been renting.

Like I said, **** all regulations involved with windows.

what about safety glass for certain areas

Like I said, **** all regulations involved with windows.

and how high barried need to be on openable windows.

Like I said, **** all regulations involved with windows.

Given that anyone with even half a clue buys the
windows when they are replacing them, you can
be completely confident that what you buy complys
with those very minimal regulations, stupid.

And anyone with even half a clue would have chosen
to do what those very minimal regulations require, so
the regulations don't in fact impose a damned thing.

So why not prove me wrong by siting a suitable property.

There are hordes of those where buying a run down dump
and DIYing it makes a hell of a lot more sense than buying
the same thing that someone else had turned it from a run
down dump into a decent modern house.

Most people don't have that option.

Bull****.

How about you site such a property ......

Watch any of those TV series when not completely blotto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but you do know that DIY done properly has to be
cheaper than paying someone else to do the same work.

Doesn;t have to be, depends on the DIY.

You'd have to be completely hopeless at DIY for it not to be.

Do you have a gas safe cert. ?

Don't need one when working on your own house.

If I want a tree cut down I could do it myself,
if I had the tools the ladders the PPE and the
skills, but I haven't so I'd get a 'man' in to do it.

More fool you. It costs peanuts to get what you need at
garage/yard sales and there is **** all skill involved at all.

You really are an idiot.

We'll see...

If you want to cut a tree down you need to ask the
council in case it's listed or otherwise protected.

You need to do that regardless of whether
you are cutting it down yourself or paying
someone else to cut it down.

If you have a brain you want to buy all the correct euipment

There is no "all the correct equipment", there
are plenty of different ways to cut trees down.

or at least hire it, and that's not cheap,

Bull****. I just got another electric chainsaw from
a garage/yard sale for just $20 and it works fine.

And I could just borrow one from any number of
my mates too just like I have lent mine to them too.

you'd have top get insurance too.

Bull****.

I designed and build my whole house on a bare
block of land and taught myself to weld because
I prefer steel over wood for everything from tables
to gates and the bulk of the house structure.

Have you taken up dentistry too.

I don't bother with dentists.

Maybe I could have replaced the roof,

No maybe about it in my case, I know I can
because I did all that myself personally too.

well good for you.

Anyone who isnt completely useless can do that too.

but I don't have any scaffolding

You don't need any scaffolding, I didn't have any.

When I got my roof done it was a legal requirment.

Depends on the roof.

But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.

I broke no H&S rules except that in the summer I chose
to do it in just shorts and thongs, not even a shirt.

That only had one very minor downside. I have vertical
iron welded to the ends of the galvanised sheet steel
J beams that are the entire roof structure and the oregon
facia bolts onto that. I welded those once the J beams
had been welded onto the 5x3" RHS that forms the top
of the walls along the entire N and S 100' walls and did
that when standing on a ladder wearing just thongs and
shorts. One of the blobs of molten metal did manage to
fall between a couple of toes but that was just a minor
nuisance.

I bet you never even used PPE

I'm not stupid enough to use that.

and probbaly worked alone.

I do when I shovel out the gutters too.

I have VERY wide gutters, 15" wide and its
completely trivial to stand on the flat roof
and quite literally shovel the crap out of the
gutters onto the ground.

When I built my own house from scratch,

so you didn;t actually buid it yourself

I did actually.

you had help.

**** all of that.

Why didn;t yuo do it yourself as you said.

I did.

that triggered a bit of a rash of that with
quite a few of my mates and we did that
with each other's houses.

so you have to help out your mates how
many years have you been doing that for.

The same couple of years that I was building mine.

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

so that technoklutze mate of yours
did he build his own house too ?

I just said he didn't, stupid.

in one case one of them quite literally painted
the outside of the concrete block place with a
broom and a bucket of paint.

That was HIS OWN HOUSE, not mine, stupid.

Was that because you were to stupid to
do it as I thought you did the DIY yourself.

That was him, not me, stupid. And he was the only
one that did that like that, all the rest managed to
do a lot more of the house building themselves.

When a mate of mine replaced my meter tails
I did NOT cliam to do thaqt MYSELF as a DIY
project, getting someone else to do yuor DIY

I never said that any of my DIY was done like that.

is not you doing your DIY.

Duh.

Did you design your own house too,

Yep, and it's a fairly fancy passive solar design too.

or did a friend do it.

Nope.

so I got someone in to do it.

More fool you.

why you got someone to paint your concrete

I never did anything of the sort.

HE PAINTED HIS OWN HOUSE THAT WAY, stupid.

why when you can do it yuorself.?

That is what I did, painted my own house.

They all painted their own houses.

That particular technoklutz chose to use a broom and
a bucket of paint WHEN PAINTING HIS OWN HOUSE.

Same with the 'gas leak' couldn;t DIY.

I've never got anyone to do anything like that.

So if you had a gas leak you'd do nothing about it.

Wrong, I'd fix it myself.

I bet it wouldn't if you know what you
are doing and can DIY the rewiring.

and if you can't or don't have the neccessary
certificates you're breaking the law.

I don't give a flying red **** about the law.

well that'sobvious isn;t it you don;t care about the legality of drugs

Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying thru your teeth.

Its perfectly legal to buy as many packs as you like of the
effervescent and powder forms of aspirin and paracetamol.
http://www.rpharms.com/legal-classif...atus-table.asp
http://www.rpharms.com/legal-classif...atus-table.asp

you don;t even mind telling peole how to commit suicide fropm helium.

Perfectly legal.

So it's not suprise you'd break H&S regualtions.

I don't give a flying red **** what some H&S regulation requires.

I do what makes sense.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist terminal ****wits ?

The only quibble he had with the wiring I did entirely
myself was that it was too neatly done and that no
electrician would have done it like that.

yeah right,

Fraid so. I have a massive great 4x4" RHS column between
2 of the 13 patio doors that provide the massive swath of
glass that makes up the N wall of the main room and that
has a total of 8 light switches on the inside surface of that
column, with the wiring inside that column that acts as a
massive steel conduit for the wiring. There is a horizontal
5x3" RHS beam that runs the entire 100' N and S wall that
has the pressed galvanised steel J beams welded to it.

The electrical cables for the switches are in the roofspace
and go thru holes in the 5x3" RHS horizontals in holes
that are bushed with short bits of plastic conduit that
go into the holes in the 5x3" RHS. The wiring in the
roof space is what we call TPS and that outer layer
is cut off so there are just the individual wires in the
4x4" vertical effectively a 4x4" conduit. I twisted the
wires that were part of a single TPS together instead
of belling them out when terminating at the switches.

Electricians don't bother.

I bet he told you you smelt nice too.

Yep, most of my mates did both.

So you didn't DO IT YOURSELF then did you.

I did actually. You can't manage
even the most basic comprehension.

You cant even manage to work out what these to are saying either.
http://www.rpharms.com/legal-classif...atus-table.asp
http://www.rpharms.com/legal-classif...atus-table.asp

I didn't with the solar panels because I had decided that
with the absolutely certain change of govt we were going
to see, that they would pull the plug on the 60c/KWH gross
feed in tariff where you get paid that even if you use that
electricity yourself. In fact they did pull the plug on that
when the govt did change, and you now only get 2c instead.

But they caved in with those who had got their panels
installed before change of govt and they still get the 60c.

and a helipad but few DIY peole have all rthe skills neccessary.

Its even easier to do pools and solar panels than the house.

Helipads in spades, nothing special about them at all.

aprt from the approval of teh aviation authorities

There is no approval required at all with the building of them.

not that you or yuor mates would care.

I don;t know anyone that is gas safe,

You don't need to be when doing work on your own house.

YES YOU DO.

NO YOU DO NOT IN BRITAIN.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 October 2014 02:11:24 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote

You really are an idiot.

We'll see...

If you want to cut a tree down you need to ask the
council in case it's listed or otherwise protected.

You need to do that regardless of whether
you are cutting it down yourself or paying
someone else to cut it down.

I thought you also need to know what you are doing.
Plenty of youtube videos of people ssaving money by cutting therio own trees down and it ends up on their house or car.

If you have a brain you want to buy all the correct euipment

There is no "all the correct equipment", there
are plenty of different ways to cut trees down.

What does that mean ?

or at least hire it, and that's not cheap,

Bull****. I just got another electric chainsaw from
a garage/yard sale for just $20 and it works fine.

good for you. Doesn't mean you're compendent to use it though.

But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.

I broke no H&S rules except that in the summer I chose
to do it in just shorts and thongs, not even a shirt.

That's just one of the things that make you an idiot.

I bet you never even used PPE

I'm not stupid enough to use that.

course not, not even a hard hat, but you'll be ok with a thick skull.

When I built my own house from scratch,

so you didn;t actually buid it yourself

I did actually.

you had help.

**** all of that.

waht the help .......

Why didn;t yuo do it yourself as you said.

I did.

that triggered a bit of a rash of that with
quite a few of my mates and we did that
with each other's houses.

so you have to help out your mates how
many years have you been doing that for.

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

so that technoklutze mate of yours
did he build his own house too ?

I just said he didn't, stupid.

you didn't you just told me that your mates did it.
So you had a technoklutzes just going around doing the painting.

in one case one of them quite literally painted
the outside of the concrete block place with a
broom and a bucket of paint.

That was HIS OWN HOUSE, not mine, stupid.

Well lots of people paint their own houses, but that's not building it.

Was that because you were to stupid to
do it as I thought you did the DIY yourself.

That was him, not me, stupid. And he was the only
one that did that like that, all the rest managed to
do a lot more of the house building themselves.

a lot more of implies the technoklutzes did do building
and there's more than one of them.

When a mate of mine replaced my meter tails
I did NOT cliam to do thaqt MYSELF as a DIY
project, getting someone else to do yuor DIY

I never said that any of my DIY was done like that.

you said you built your own house, which of course any fool can do with help from others, who built the technoklutzes houses ?

HE PAINTED HIS OWN HOUSE THAT WAY, stupid.

why when you can do it yuorself.?

That is what I did, painted my own house.

They all painted their own houses.

That particular technoklutz chose to use a broom and
a bucket of paint WHEN PAINTING HIS OWN HOUSE.

So what is wrong with doing it that way.

I don't give a flying red **** what some H&S regulation requires.

I do what makes sense.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

So that was a lie then wasnt; it.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.
Why did you need someone esle ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

If you want to cut a tree down you need to ask the
council in case it's listed or otherwise protected.

You need to do that regardless of whether
you are cutting it down yourself or paying
someone else to cut it down.

I thought you also need to know what you are doing.

Depends on where the tree is.

Plenty of youtube videos of people ssaving money by cutting
therio own trees down and it ends up on their house or car.

And vastly more who managed to cut down
the tree without doing anything like that.

If you have a brain you want to buy all the correct euipment

There is no "all the correct equipment", there
are plenty of different ways to cut trees down.

What does that mean ?

That there is a variety of equipment that
will be fine for cutting down most trees.

or at least hire it, and that's not cheap,

Bull****. I just got another electric chainsaw from
a garage/yard sale for just $20 and it works fine.

good for you. Doesn't mean you're
compendent to use it though.

You're welcome to get one of the other types of
saws that even someone as stupid as you can use.
Just saw one on one of the local facebook buy sell
swap groups this morning for just $20.

But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.

I broke no H&S rules except that in the summer I chose
to do it in just shorts and thongs, not even a shirt.

That's just one of the things that make you an idiot.

Nope, worked fine.

I bet you never even used PPE

I'm not stupid enough to use that.

course not, not even a hard hat,

I do have one of those but not stupid enough to use it.

When I built my own house from scratch,

so you didn;t actually buid it yourself

I did actually.

you had help.

**** all of that.

waht the help .......

Try that again in english instead of gobbledegook.

Why didn;t yuo do it yourself as you said.

I did.

that triggered a bit of a rash of that with
quite a few of my mates and we did that
with each other's houses.

so you have to help out your mates how
many years have you been doing that for.

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

so that technoklutze mate of yours
did he build his own house too ?

I just said he didn't, stupid.

you didn't

I did. I clearly said

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

you just told me that your mates did it.

Can't manage even the most basic comprehension,
presumably because you are completely blotto, as always.

So you had a technoklutzes just going around doing the painting.

Nope. HE DID THAT ON HIS OWN HOUSE AFTER
HE GOT SUBCONTRACTORS TO DO ALL THE MORE
DIFFICULT STUFF.

in one case one of them quite literally painted
the outside of the concrete block place with a
broom and a bucket of paint.

That was HIS OWN HOUSE, not mine, stupid.

Well lots of people paint their own houses, but that's not building it.

Never said that HE built his own house, stupid.

I actually said

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

Was that because you were to stupid to
do it as I thought you did the DIY yourself.

That was him, not me, stupid. And he was the only
one that did that like that, all the rest managed to
do a lot more of the house building themselves.

a lot more of implies the technoklutzes did do building

Nope, I said

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

and there's more than one of them.

Nope, not with those that were infected with the new
house fad by me building my own house from scratch.

When a mate of mine replaced my meter tails
I did NOT cliam to do thaqt MYSELF as a DIY
project, getting someone else to do yuor DIY

I never said that any of my DIY was done like that.

you said you built your own house,

Yes.

which of course any fool can do with help from others,

I didn't have any help from others in that sense.

We did a bit of helping each other with the stuff that
wasn't possible for a single person to do by themselves
like with getting the big J beams up on the roof and
the metal decking. We helped each other to do that
stuff.

who built the technoklutzes houses ?

The worst of the technoklutzes got subcontractors
to do everything except the painting.

HE PAINTED HIS OWN HOUSE THAT WAY, stupid.

why when you can do it yuorself.?

That is what I did, painted my own house.

They all painted their own houses.

That particular technoklutz chose to use a broom and
a bucket of paint WHEN PAINTING HIS OWN HOUSE.

So what is wrong with doing it that way.

It wastes a lot more paint than doing
it with a roller with concrete blocks.

I don't give a flying red **** what some H&S regulation requires.

I do what makes sense.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

So that was a lie then wasnt; it.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.

Nope, to claim he did the work. He didn't.

Why did you need someone esle ?

Because that is what the law requires here, the electrical
wiring has to be done by a licensed electrical contractor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 October 2014 20:52:59 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

If you want to cut a tree down you need to ask the
council in case it's listed or otherwise protected.

You need to do that regardless of whether
you are cutting it down yourself or paying
someone else to cut it down.

I thought you also need to know what you are doing.

Depends on where the tree is.

Well it would normamly be on your own property you just can't go on to someone elses land and chop down a tree because you feel like it.

Plenty of youtube videos of people ssaving money by cutting
therio own trees down and it ends up on their house or car.

And vastly more who managed to cut down
the tree without doing anything like that.

and even more getting a pro in to do it.

If you have a brain you want to buy all the correct euipment

There is no "all the correct equipment", there
are plenty of different ways to cut trees down.

What does that mean ?

That there is a variety of equipment that
will be fine for cutting down most trees.

And you would need to either buy these tools or rent them wouldn;t you.
Ypu might also wan the PPE such as chain mail trousers and other equipment the tree surgeons use.

Bull****. I just got another electric chainsaw from
a garage/yard sale for just $20 and it works fine.

good for you. Doesn't mean you're
compendent to use it though.

You're welcome to get one of the other types of
saws that even someone as stupid as you can use.
Just saw one on one of the local facebook buy sell
swap groups this morning for just $20.

buying a saw doesn;t make you compendent to do the job.

But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.

I broke no H&S rules except that in the summer I chose
to do it in just shorts and thongs, not even a shirt.

That's just one of the things that make you an idiot.

Nope, worked fine.

H&S isn't about whether or not something works fine.

I bet you never even used PPE

I'm not stupid enough to use that.

course not, not even a hard hat,

I do have one of those but not stupid enough to use it.

Your skull is thick enough as it is.

you just told me that your mates did it.

Can't manage even the most basic comprehension,
presumably because you are completely blotto, as always.

yuo told me yuor mates helped you build yuor house.
were you just lying again or do you forget your mates when it suites you.

So you had a technoklutzes just going around doing the painting.

Nope. HE DID THAT ON HIS OWN HOUSE AFTER
HE GOT SUBCONTRACTORS TO DO ALL THE MORE
DIFFICULT STUFF.

So you didn;t help him then ?

in one case one of them quite literally painted
the outside of the concrete block place with a
broom and a bucket of paint.

That was HIS OWN HOUSE, not mine, stupid.

Well lots of people paint their own houses, but that's not building it.

Never said that HE built his own house, stupid.

I actually said

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

which means little.

Nope, I said

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

and there's more than one of them.

Nope, not with those that were infected with the new
house fad by me building my own house from scratch.

But any fool can build their own house, millions do.
But if you havent the land uhnless youm can hang it from a cloud
you can;t build your own home in London and that goes for most
major cities.

you said you built your own house,

Yes.

which of course any fool can do with help from others,

I didn't have any help from others in that sense.

We did a bit of helping each other with the stuff that
wasn't possible for a single person to do by themselves
like with getting the big J beams up on the roof and
the metal decking. We helped each other to do that
stuff.

so where is this house ?

who built the technoklutzes houses ?

The worst of the technoklutzes got subcontractors
to do everything except the painting.

HE PAINTED HIS OWN HOUSE THAT WAY, stupid.

why when you can do it yuorself.?

That is what I did, painted my own house.

They all painted their own houses.

That particular technoklutz chose to use a broom and
a bucket of paint WHEN PAINTING HIS OWN HOUSE.

So what is wrong with doing it that way.

It wastes a lot more paint than doing
it with a roller with concrete blocks.

So what did you paint your house with.

I don't give a flying red **** what some H&S regulation requires.

I do what makes sense.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

So that was a lie then wasnt; it.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.

Nope, to claim he did the work. He didn't.

So you couldn't sign it off yourself then why is that ?
I'll try again why didn;t you sign the work off yuorself ?
if DIY is cheaper.
Or why did you get him in when you could have done it youself.

Are you too stupid is that the reason.

Why did you need someone esle ?

Because that is what the law requires here, the electrical
wiring has to be done by a licensed electrical contractor.

Why didn't you become a licensed electrical contractor if it's cheaper to DIY.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

I thought you also need to know what you are doing.

Depends on where the tree is.

Well it would normamly be on your own property
you just can't go on to someone elses land and
chop down a tree because you feel like it.

That's an entirely separate matter to what we were clearly
discussing, whether you need to know what you are doing.

There are plenty of trees on your own property where
you don't need to know what you are doing to cut it down.

**** all are that stupid with the smaller trees.

If you have a brain you want to buy all the correct euipment

There is no "all the correct equipment", there
are plenty of different ways to cut trees down.

What does that mean ?

That there is a variety of equipment that
will be fine for cutting down most trees.

And you would need to either buy these tools

For peanuts from a garage/yard sale.

or rent them wouldn;t you.

Or just borrow them from someone who has one.

I lend mine to any of my mates that need to do that.

Ypu might also wan the PPE such as chain mail
trousers and other equipment the tree surgeons use.

Not if you use the less aggressive tools.

Bull****. I just got another electric chainsaw from
a garage/yard sale for just $20 and it works fine.

good for you. Doesn't mean you're
compendent to use it though.

You're welcome to get one of the other types of
saws that even someone as stupid as you can use.
Just saw one on one of the local facebook buy sell
swap groups this morning for just $20.

buying a saw doesn;t make you compendent to do the job.

This particular saw is a reciprocating saw that
even someone as stupid as you could use.

You don't need chain mail pants to use it either.

But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.

I broke no H&S rules except that in the summer I chose
to do it in just shorts and thongs, not even a shirt.

That's just one of the things that make you an idiot.

Nope, worked fine.

H&S isn't about whether or not something works fine.

It is for all but fools like you.

I bet you never even used PPE

I'm not stupid enough to use that.

course not, not even a hard hat,

I do have one of those but not stupid enough to use it.

Your skull is thick enough as it is.

Nothing is going to fall on it the way I build houses.

you just told me that your mates did it.

Can't manage even the most basic comprehension,
presumably because you are completely blotto, as always.

yuo told me yuor mates helped you build yuor house.

Only with the stuff that a single person can't do alone
like running the big J beams up onto the top of the walls.

were you just lying again

There is no again.

or do you forget your mates when it suites you.

Or you can't manage to work out the difference
between helping a mate when more than one
pair of hands is needed for a particular job
and getting the same thing with your place.

So you had a technoklutzes just going around doing the painting.

Nope. HE DID THAT ON HIS OWN HOUSE AFTER
HE GOT SUBCONTRACTORS TO DO ALL THE MORE
DIFFICULT STUFF.

So you didn;t help him then ?

I did on the design choices, how to use subcontractors
to do the work he didn't want to do himself, etc etc etc.

With another one, when the local council claimed that
the smallest bedrooms for the kids were smaller than
were allowed under the regulations, showed him the
bit in the building regulations where it said that built
in wardrobes are counted when calculating the size of
the room. That one was the one where we both worked
on both houses when more than one pair of hands was
needed with the roof beams etc.

in one case one of them quite literally painted
the outside of the concrete block place with a
broom and a bucket of paint.

That was HIS OWN HOUSE, not mine, stupid.

Well lots of people paint their own houses, but that's not building it.

Never said that HE built his own house, stupid.

I actually said

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

which means little.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Nope, I said

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

and there's more than one of them.

Nope, not with those that were infected with the new
house fad by me building my own house from scratch.

But any fool can build their own house, millions do.

**** all do all the design and building
work starting from a bare block of land.

No one else in here has done that.

But if you havent the land uhnless youm can hang it
from a cloud you can;t build your own home in London

Wrong, as always.

[...]

A roller with the blocks. Paint brush with the RHS.

Got the neighbour's little kids to paint the oregon
fascias with wood stain with paint brushes with the
timber all on trestles on the ground. Mission Brown,
little white kids turned into little brown kids |-)

I don't give a flying red **** what some H&S regulation requires.

I do what makes sense.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

So that was a lie then wasnt; it.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.

Nope, to claim he did the work. He didn't.

So you couldn't sign it off yourself then why is that ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

I'll try again why didn;t you sign the work off yuorself ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

if DIY is cheaper.

No if about it.

Or why did you get him in when you could have done it youself.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

Are you too stupid is that the reason.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

Why did you need someone esle ?

Because that is what the law requires here, the electrical
wiring has to be done by a licensed electrical contractor.

Why didn't you become a licensed electrical
contractor if it's cheaper to DIY.

Because that requires years as an apprentice even
if you do understand the wiring rules completely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 October 2014 21:14:20 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

I thought you also need to know what you are doing.

Depends on where the tree is.

Well it would normamly be on your own property
you just can't go on to someone elses land and
chop down a tree because you feel like it.

That's an entirely separate matter to what we were clearly
discussing, whether you need to know what you are doing.

There are plenty of trees on your own property where
you don't need to know what you are doing to cut it down.

You need to know whether or not the tree has any special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden. I do know a tree surgeon that has refused to do a job after checking with the local council.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...28/2127793.pdf

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/gen...judgementgives

Plenty of youtube videos of people ssaving money by cutting
therio own trees down and it ends up on their house or car.

And vastly more who managed to cut down
the tree without doing anything like that.

and even more getting a pro in to do it.

**** all are that stupid with the smaller trees.

What's a 'smaller tree'

Small than what ?

I lend mine to any of my mates that need to do that.

I lend my mates tools too.
Although I haven't a 30ft ladder.
But I can lend them a pruning cutter.

Ypu might also wan the PPE such as chain mail
trousers and other equipment the tree surgeons use.

Not if you use the less aggressive tools.

Junior hacksaw ?

Just saw one on one of the local facebook buy sell
swap groups this morning for just $20.

buying a saw doesn;t make you compendent to do the job.

This particular saw is a reciprocating saw that
even someone as stupid as you could use.

You don't need chain mail pants to use it either.

I don;t need chain mail pants to use my junior hack saw
or the laser cutter downstairs.
neither are very useful for cutting trees.

But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.

I broke no H&S rules except that in the summer I chose
to do it in just shorts and thongs, not even a shirt.

That's just one of the things that make you an idiot.
Nope, worked fine.

H&S isn't about whether or not something works fine.

It is for all but fools like you.

H&S primarly aim is protectionfrom yourself and others.

Only an idiot would take no notice of them.

So you didn;t help him then ?

I did on the design choices, how to use subcontractors
to do the work he didn't want to do himself, etc etc etc.

Did you use subcontractors on your house ?

With another one, when the local council claimed that
the smallest bedrooms for the kids were smaller than
were allowed under the regulations, showed him the
bit in the building regulations where it said that built
in wardrobes are counted when calculating the size of
the room. That one was the one where we both worked
on both houses when more than one pair of hands was
needed with the roof beams etc.

Well there's a number of people that can't read simple instructions and follow them, there are some that cliam to read and uunderstand but igmnore what's written.
That's why I decided to get someone in to do the gas when the warning notice that was left with me said.

To the user of the gas :- This gas equipment MUST not be used.

It is an offence to continue to use an unsafe applience or installation until it has been repaired and tested by a 'gas safe' registared installer.

But any fool can build their own house, millions do.

**** all do all the design and building
work starting from a bare block of land.

millions bui

But if you havent the land uhnless youm can hang it
from a cloud you can;t build your own home in London

Wrong, as always.

Then prove it.
How are you going to build a house without land to build it on ?

I get it you built a tree house.

so where is this house ?

Australia.

What part or is all australia the same.

So what did you paint your house with.

A roller with the blocks. Paint brush with the RHS.

Got the neighbour's little kids to paint the oregon
fascias with wood stain with paint brushes with the
timber all on trestles on the ground. Mission Brown,
little white kids turned into little brown kids |-)

So didn't DIY unless of course telling them what stain to use.
I'd have told them to use gloves adnI wouild have supplied them too, of course if teh ingredinst were tottly safe I might not have bothered with gloves, but just to stop the mums moaning about the mess their kids were in would be enough for me to promt the wearing or gloves and overalls, perhasp others would want the childn painting naked.
I installed my own windows and doors by telling the installers what I wanted.
I don't call that DIY.

I don't give a flying red **** what some H&S regulation requires.
I do what makes sense.
I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.
So that was a lie then wasnt; it.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.

Nope, to claim he did the work. He didn't.

So you couldn't sign it off yourself then why is that ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

Same here too. I too got a mate to do my tails but I din;t claim I did it myself, I could have done, but he had the knack of bending cables and having a decent wire stripper and pliers.
So rather than getting quailfied and paying the ~400 or so fee I decided not to go DIY because DIY wsas not cheaper than getting someone in that was qualified.

I'll try again why didn;t you sign the work off yuorself ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

So why didn't you get qualified so you could do it yourself ?
Even though I have a HND equiv in electronics with computer studies a 4 year course

if DIY is cheaper.

No if about it.

Or why did you get him in when you could have done it youself.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

You're too stupid to sign a bit of paper ?

Are you too stupid is that the reason.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

Then why the **** didn't you get qualified ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

I thought you also need to know what you are doing.

Depends on where the tree is.

Well it would normamly be on your own property
you just can't go on to someone elses land and
chop down a tree because you feel like it.

That's an entirely separate matter to what we were clearly
discussing, whether you need to know what you are doing.

There are plenty of trees on your own property where
you don't need to know what you are doing to cut it down.

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

I do know a tree surgeon that has refused to
do a job after checking with the local council.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...28/2127793.pdf

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/gen...judgementgives

Ditto.

Plenty of youtube videos of people ssaving money by cutting
therio own trees down and it ends up on their house or car.

And vastly more who managed to cut down
the tree without doing anything like that.

and even more getting a pro in to do it.

**** all are that stupid with the smaller trees.

What's a 'smaller tree'

The sort of tree that even a fool like you can cut down safely.

I lend mine to any of my mates that need to do that.

I lend my mates tools too.
Although I haven't a 30ft ladder.
But I can lend them a pruning cutter.

So you borrow one from someone who has one.

I just had one of my mates offer me the use of one
but I don't need it because I have what I need.

In fact I have 2 chainsaws, two reciprocating saws,
a bow saw and various other saws that I can use too.

Ypu might also wan the PPE such as chain mail
trousers and other equipment the tree surgeons use.

Not if you use the less aggressive tools.

Junior hacksaw ?

Reciprocating saw.

Just saw one on one of the local facebook buy sell
swap groups this morning for just $20.

buying a saw doesn;t make you compendent to do the job.

This particular saw is a reciprocating saw that
even someone as stupid as you could use.

You don't need chain mail pants to use it either.

I don;t need chain mail pants to use my junior
hack saw or the laser cutter downstairs.
neither are very useful for cutting trees.

But a reciprocating saw is and you don't need chain mail pants.

But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.

I broke no H&S rules except that in the summer I chose
to do it in just shorts and thongs, not even a shirt.

That's just one of the things that make you an idiot.

Nope, worked fine.

H&S isn't about whether or not something works fine.

It is for all but fools like you.

H&S primarly aim is protectionfrom yourself and others.

I can do that without any H&S.

Only an idiot would take no notice of them.

Anyone with even half a clue knows how to do things safely.

I never used any scaffolding at all.

The first thing I made was a big steel bench made of 25mm RHS
which has wheels at one end with a frame that goes on one end
that ends up 6' high at the highest level with a couple of drop
in panels made of tongue and groove floorboards. That ran
around the concrete slab and outside the walls and was all
I needed to stand on to weld the J beams to the 5x3" RHS
that forms the top of the 100' long N and S walls.

When doing the block work walls, I just used a
few 44gal drums with timber planks on them.

With another one, when the local council claimed that
the smallest bedrooms for the kids were smaller than
were allowed under the regulations, showed him the
bit in the building regulations where it said that built
in wardrobes are counted when calculating the size of
the room. That one was the one where we both worked
on both houses when more than one pair of hands was
needed with the roof beams etc.

Well there's a number of people that can't read simple
instructions and follow them, there are some that cliam
to read and uunderstand but igmnore what's written.

In this case it was the local council that couldn't read
the building regulations with something as basic as that.

But any fool can build their own house, millions do.

**** all do all the design and building
work starting from a bare block of land.

millions bui

But if you havent the land uhnless youm can hang it
from a cloud you can;t build your own home in London

Wrong, as always.

Then prove it.

Have a look at the Grand Designs doco series sometime.

How are you going to build a house without land to build it on ?

You demolish the wreck that is there already, stupid.

so where is this house ?

Australia.

What part

MIA.

or is all australia the same.

Nope. Varys a lot more than that soggy little island of yours does.

So what did you paint your house with.

A roller with the blocks. Paint brush with the RHS.

Got the neighbour's little kids to paint the oregon
fascias with wood stain with paint brushes with the
timber all on trestles on the ground. Mission Brown,
little white kids turned into little brown kids |-)

So didn't DIY

Corse I did. Plenty educate the kids while DIYing, stupid.

unless of course telling them what stain to use.

And buying it, and buying the oregon, getting the oil drums,
setting it all up, showing them how to do it etc etc etc.

I'd have told them to use gloves

I'm not that stupid. And it wasn't just their hands.

adnI wouild have supplied them too, of
course if teh ingredinst were tottly safe

Corse it was, oil stain wont hurt you if you don't try drinking it.

I might not have bothered with gloves, but just to stop the
mums moaning about the mess their kids were in would be
enough for me to promt the wearing or gloves and overalls,

Kids don't have overalls and there were too many
of them for me to be silly enough to provide them.

perhasp others would want the childn painting naked.
I installed my own windows and doors by telling the
installers what I wanted. I don't call that DIY.

Letting the kids paint the fascia boards is still DIY, stupid.

One of the little buggers did his own DIY with one of the
neighbour's houses. The main sewer line had been done
and left overnight for the council inspection the next day,
earthen ware pipes down the bulk of the block because
our sewer line goes down the back fence line inside the
block of one line of houses. Got in the trench and smashed
most of the pipes with a hammer he found lying around.

I don't give a flying red **** what some H&S regulation requires.

I do what makes sense.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

So that was a lie then wasnt; it.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.

Nope, to claim he did the work. He didn't.

So you couldn't sign it off yourself then why is that ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

Same here too. I too got a mate to do my tails

I didn't, I did all the electrical work myself.

but I din;t claim I did it myself, I could have
done, but he had the knack of bending cables
and having a decent wire stripper and pliers.
So rather than getting quailfied and paying
the ~400 or so fee I decided not to go DIY
because DIY wsas not cheaper than getting
someone in that was qualified.

Didn't cost me a cent to get someone qualified
to say he had done the work when he had not.

I'll try again why didn;t you sign the work off yuorself ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

So why didn't you get qualified so you could do it yourself ?

I've told you repeatedly that that isnt even possible here.

The ONLY way to get qualified is to spend YEARS as an apprentice.

Even if you are one of the engineers that writes the wiring rules, there
is no way to be qualified to do the work without the apprenticeship.

It's a right royal scam designed to produce a closed shop.

You arent even qualified after you have finished your
apprenticeship, that doesn't get you the electrical
contactor's license you need to do the work legally.

Even though I have a HND equiv in electronics
with computer studies a 4 year course

I've got a hell of a lot better than that and its completely
useless as far as being qualified to do the electrical work
on my own house.

if DIY is cheaper.

No if about it.

Or why did you get him in when you could have done it youself.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

You're too stupid to sign a bit of paper ?

I can't do that LEGALLY.

Are you too stupid is that the reason.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

Then why the **** didn't you get qualified ?

Not interested in being an apprentice for years
and then taking even longer to qualify as an
electrical contractor.

Maybe you are that stupid. I'm not, it made
a hell of a lot more sense to have someone
who is legally qualified to say they did the work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 20:23:26 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...king-view.html

Just like most DIY jobs if you're stupid enough you can do virtually all jobs yourself.

**** all are that stupid with the smaller trees.

What's a 'smaller tree'

The sort of tree that even a fool like you can cut down safely.

I'm not foolish enough to cut down a tree without researching teh job first..
Just like I was doing with my gas situation.

In fact I have 2 chainsaws, two reciprocating saws,
a bow saw and various other saws that I can use too.

I don't need such things, so I tend not to own them.
I don't even own a car, pln, train or boat because I don;t need one if I do I'll hire one.

But a reciprocating saw is and you don't need chain mail pants.

But I don't need a reciprocating saw either, not that it'd be very useful
in cutting down most trees but I've yet to need one in my life time so far.

H&S primarly aim is protectionfrom yourself and others.

I can do that without any H&S.

You just think you can, there's a differnece.

Only an idiot would take no notice of them.

Anyone with even half a clue knows how to do things safely.

Plenty of idiots knbow how to do things corectly but prefer to cut corners.
Some are stupid enough to take on jobs they have little or no understanding off.

Only an idiot would think that owning a reciprocating saw gave them, the right to cut down any tree.

I never used any scaffolding at all.

Niether have I.
But plenty of builders do.

But any fool can build their own house, millions do.

**** all do all the design and building
work starting from a bare block of land.

millions bui

But if you havent the land uhnless youm can hang it
from a cloud you can;t build your own home in London

Wrong, as always.

Then prove it.

Have a look at the Grand Designs doco series sometime.

yes I have, but that's not the majority for people in the UK, it's a tiny minority most of whom have a lot of money to throw at their project.

How are you going to build a house without land to build it on ?

You demolish the wreck that is there already, stupid.

What wreck and where ?

so where is this house ?

Australia.

What part

MIA.

that's not a part.

I have friends in Melborne and sydney, so I can get info from them.

Nope. Varys a lot more than that soggy little island of yours does.

More people prefer this soggy little island.

And buying it, and buying the oregon, getting the oil drums,
setting it all up, showing them how to do it etc etc etc.

amazing they don;t set up university courses in it isn;t it.

I'd have told them to use gloves

I'm not that stupid. And it wasn't just their hands.

I won't ask anymore.

adnI wouild have supplied them too, of
course if teh ingredinst were tottly safe

Corse it was, oil stain wont hurt you if you don't try drinking it.

Then why buy gloves for them, you could have saved money.

perhasp others would want the childn painting naked.
I installed my own windows and doors by telling the
installers what I wanted. I don't call that DIY.

Letting the kids paint the fascia boards is still DIY, stupid.

Here we used to call that bob a job week.
Plenty of eastern europeans doing those sort of jobs around here.
Buit perhaps getting kids to dop it cheaper is an advantage.

and come to think of it I should get my chimney looked at, got any spare kids so I can DIY my own chimney ?

One of the little buggers did his own DIY with one of the
neighbour's houses. The main sewer line had been done
and left overnight for the council inspection the next day,
earthen ware pipes down the bulk of the block because
our sewer line goes down the back fence line inside the
block of one line of houses. Got in the trench and smashed
most of the pipes with a hammer he found lying around.

we tend to call that vandalism rather than DIY.
My ex-French flatmat(now living in australia) told me that the term "do it yourself" if france refers to masterbating.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.

Nope, to claim he did the work. He didn't.

that should have been a YES in that you DID need someone else to sign off yuor work.

So you couldn't sign it off yourself then why is that ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

Same here too. I too got a mate to do my tails

I didn't, I did all the electrical work myself.

but still needed soneone else to sign it off, why ?

but I din;t claim I did it myself, I could have
done, but he had the knack of bending cables
and having a decent wire stripper and pliers.
So rather than getting quailfied and paying
the ~400 or so fee I decided not to go DIY
because DIY wsas not cheaper than getting
someone in that was qualified.

Didn't cost me a cent to get someone qualified
to say he had done the work when he had not.

But you still couldn't do it.

I'll try again why didn;t you sign the work off yuorself ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

So why didn't you get qualified so you could do it yourself ?

I've told you repeatedly that that isnt even possible here.

The ONLY way to get qualified is to spend YEARS as an apprentice.

Exactly, which is why most people don;t build houses themselves.
Most people have other useful skills that they use to earn a living, some who can't earn enough to buy a house choose to build their own house.

Even if you are one of the engineers that writes the wiring rules, there
is no way to be qualified to do the work without the apprenticeship.

It's a right royal scam designed to produce a closed shop.

Yes I know. It has uses though, in that if yuo have passed the course yuo should know what you are doing, which is the sort of person I prefer working on my home.

You arent even qualified after you have finished your
apprenticeship, that doesn't get you the electrical
contactor's license you need to do the work legally.

Again which is why it's a waste of resources to DIY this type of job unless it's a main source of income.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

You're too stupid to sign a bit of paper ?

I can't do that LEGALLY.

And I can;t work on my gas illegally either.
If I wanted to do my own gas work I'd need to dom the course at the very least.
doing that and paying for it isn;t an effecinet use of my time or money.

Then why the **** didn't you get qualified ?

Not interested in being an apprentice for years
and then taking even longer to qualify as an
electrical contractor.

Me niether or a gas contractor, or as an HGV driver to deliver bricks
and RSG and everything else that would help me build a house as a DIY project.

For me and teh vast majority it's more effcint to buy a ready built house.

Maybe you are that stupid. I'm not, it made
a hell of a lot more sense to have someone
who is legally qualified to say they did the work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 06:04:34 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.

There's seven trees been removed from our garden in the last week, and
25-30 this year. The tallest have been 70ft+ tall.

No fines, no reason for fines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 20:23:26 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote

Snip endless post, I've no idea most of what was said

Why whisky-dave, why? Rod will just carry on adfinitum
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 14:34:20 on Thu, 30
Oct 2014, Huge remarked:
There's seven trees been removed from our garden in the last week, and
25-30 this year. The tallest have been 70ft+ tall.

No fines, no reason for fines.

Of course not. Unless trees have TPOs on them, you can do whatever you like
with them

Unless you are in a conservation area.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-10-30, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 06:04:34 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.

There's seven trees been removed from our garden in the last week, and
25-30 this year. The tallest have been 70ft+ tall.

No fines, no reason for fines.

Of course not. Unless trees have TPOs on them, you can do whatever you like
with them, including cutting them down. Whisky-dave must be a mate of
harrys.

Or you are in a conservation area, where you have to notify the LA of
work you intend to do to trees
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 13:30:41 UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 06:04:34 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.

There's seven trees been removed from our garden in the last week, and
25-30 this year. The tallest have been 70ft+ tall.

No fines, no reason for fines.

I see you missed the point. No suprise there.

Just because a tree is in your garden it does NOT mean you own it
or can do what you want with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-10-30, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 06:04:34 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.

There's seven trees been removed from our garden in the last week, and
25-30 this year. The tallest have been 70ft+ tall.

No fines, no reason for fines.

Of course not. Unless trees have TPOs on them, you can do whatever you like
with them, including cutting them down. Whisky-dave must be a mate of
harrys.

That was my point you actually need to know if your cutting a tree down.
If you don;t know then you could be fined.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 08:13:00 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.

There's seven trees been removed from our garden in the last week, and
25-30 this year. The tallest have been 70ft+ tall.

No fines, no reason for fines.

I see you missed the point. No suprise there.

You're right. I went by your drunken ramblings, not what you "meant".

Just because a tree is in your garden it does NOT mean you own it

If you own the garden then, yes, it does.

or can do what you want with it.

But nor does it automatically mean you can't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 16:13:44 UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 08:13:00 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.

There's seven trees been removed from our garden in the last week, and
25-30 this year. The tallest have been 70ft+ tall.

No fines, no reason for fines.

I see you missed the point. No suprise there.

You're right. I went by your drunken ramblings, not what you "meant".

But I'm not drunk or rambling you just don't understand simple things.

Just because a tree is in your garden it does NOT mean you own it

If you own the garden then, yes, it does.

It's whether or not yuo own the land and even then you still have to abide by TPOs, even if you say yuo own the tree.

or can do what you want with it.

But nor does it automatically mean you can't.

Obvuilsy it depends what you want to do with or to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:48:02 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.

There's seven trees been removed from our garden in the last week,
and 25-30 this year. The tallest have been 70ft+ tall.

No fines, no reason for fines.

I see you missed the point. No suprise there.

You're right. I went by your drunken ramblings, not what you "meant".

But I'm not drunk

Then your keyboard is.

or rambling you just don't understand simple things.

I don't understand you, that's true.

Just because a tree is in your garden it does NOT mean you own it

If you own the garden then, yes, it does.

It's whether or not yuo own the land

I do.

and even then you still have to abide by TPOs

There aren't any.

even if you say yuo own the tree.

I do.

or can do what you want with it.

But nor does it automatically mean you can't.

Obvuilsy it depends what you want to do with or to it.

So in what circumstances _can't_ I take a chainsaw to a tree on my land,
given that there are no TPOs, individual or blanket, and I'm not in a
conservation area or national park or similar?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:36:18 PM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Theo Markettos writes:
http://news.sky.com/story/1357846/ho...s-to-be-closed

"a large estate with low sales densities that result in a challenged
financial model."

I wonder what they're on about there, and what else they're planning to change?

On the radio, they cited as one of the reasons that new home
owners nowadays are neither capable, nor interested in DIY.

There is a homebase I occasionally visit, and for the last 10
years it's had so few customers in there I never expected it
to last as long as it has. The main thing I have used it for
is its lighting section (although they stopped stocking some
of the items a couple of years ago which I used to buy), and
I occasionally buy their cacti/succulants/venus fly traps.

20-30 years ago, I would buy plumbing, electrical and timber
there too, but the range/price became too small/high.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I always thought they had a good range of adhesive vinyl floor tiles. not that I buy them that often.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.

That isnt what was being discussed.

You will be fined.

I just did, and wasn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...king-view.html

That isnt what was being discussed.

Just like most DIY jobs

Nothing like most DIY jobs in fact.

if you're stupid enough you can do virtually all jobs yourself.

Don't have to be stupid, just have a clue.

**** all are that stupid with the smaller trees.

What's a 'smaller tree'

The sort of tree that even a fool like you can cut down safely.

I'm not foolish enough to cut down a tree without researching teh job
first.

Only a fool would bother to 'research' cutting down a 6' tree.

Just like I was doing with my gas situation.

Different matter entirely. You have to be completely
stupid to injure yourself with the smaller trees.

You qualify.

In fact I have 2 chainsaws, two reciprocating saws,
a bow saw and various other saws that I can use too.

I don't need such things, so I tend not to own them.

Then even someone as stupid as you should be able
to work out that you can borrow one if you need one.

I don't even own a car,

More fool you.

pln, train or boat because I don;t need one if I do I'll hire one.

I have owned all but one of those, the train, and don't need to.

But a reciprocating saw is and you don't need chain mail pants.

But I don't need a reciprocating saw either, not
that it'd be very useful in cutting down most trees

You're wrong, as always, particularly if you don't like chainsaws.

but I've yet to need one in my life time so far.

Irrelevant to what is available if you need to cut down a tree.

H&S primarly aim is protectionfrom yourself and others.

I can do that without any H&S.

You just think you can,

I know I can, because I have been doing
it since before you were even born thanks.

Never had an accident that was
more than a minor nuisance either.

there's a differnece.

Nope, no one with even half a clue needs a pig ignorant
prat like you to tell them how to do anything safely.

Only an idiot would take no notice of them.

Anyone with even half a clue knows how to do things safely.

Plenty of idiots knbow how to do things corectly but prefer to cut
corners.

And plenty know how to do things safely and only cut
corners when the worst possibility is a minor nuisance.

Some are stupid enough to take on jobs
they have little or no understanding off.

And plenty more know a hell of a lot more
than you do and can work out where to get
what knowledge they don't have and can
do anything DIY wise fine.

Only an idiot would think that owning a reciprocating
saw gave them, the right to cut down any tree.

Only a flagrantly dishonest lying arsehole would
claim that anyone ever said anything like that.

**** all do with single story houses.

But any fool can build their own house, millions do.

**** all do all the design and building
work starting from a bare block of land.

millions bui

But if you havent the land uhnless youm can hang it
from a cloud you can;t build your own home in London

Wrong, as always.

Then prove it.

Have a look at the Grand Designs doco series sometime.

yes I have, but that's not the majority for people in the UK,

You didn't say anything about any majority with that stupid claim above.

it's a tiny minority most of whom have
a lot of money to throw at their project.

That's what the GRAND in the title is about, stupid.

How are you going to build a house without land to build it on ?

You demolish the wreck that is there already, stupid.

What wreck

The one on the land you want to build on, stupid.

and where ?

Where you want to build, stupid.

so where is this house ?

Australia.

What part

MIA.

that's not a part.

Wrong, as always.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murrumb...rrigation_Area

I have friends in Melborne and sydney,
so I can get info from them.

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to use the net.

Nope. Varys a lot more than that soggy little island of yours does.

More people prefer this soggy little island.

Wrong, as always. We don't let very many of you fools in here.

adnI wouild have supplied them too, of
course if teh ingredinst were tottly safe

Corse it was, oil stain wont hurt you if you don't try drinking it.

Then why buy gloves for them,

I didn't.

you could have saved money.

Nope, because I didn't buy them any gloves.

I installed my own windows and doors by telling the
installers what I wanted. I don't call that DIY.

Letting the kids paint the fascia boards is still DIY, stupid.

Here we used to call that bob a job week.

Nope, I didn't pay them a cent, they kept asking
me what they could do, so I let them paint the fascia
boards because even little kids can't **** that up.

Plenty of eastern europeans doing those sort of jobs around here.
Buit perhaps getting kids to dop it cheaper is an advantage.

I didn't pay them a cent.

and come to think of it I should get my chimney looked
at, got any spare kids so I can DIY my own chimney ?

Nope, most of them are skinny enough, but for some odd
reason we don't let them fly around the world by themselves.

One of the little buggers did his own DIY with one of the
neighbour's houses. The main sewer line had been done
and left overnight for the council inspection the next day,
earthen ware pipes down the bulk of the block because
our sewer line goes down the back fence line inside the
block of one line of houses. Got in the trench and smashed
most of the pipes with a hammer he found lying around.

we tend to call that vandalism rather than DIY.

I didn't say it was DIY.

My ex-French flatmat(now living in australia) told me that
the term "do it yourself" if france refers to masterbating.

It does in plenty of other places too, including in here in just the last
week.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.

Nope, to claim he did the work. He didn't.

that should have been a YES in that you DID
need someone else to sign off yuor work.

He didn't sign anything off, he just claimed he did the work.

So you couldn't sign it off yourself then why is that ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

Same here too. I too got a mate to do my tails

I didn't, I did all the electrical work myself.

but still needed soneone else to sign it off,

Nope.

why ?

Because that is what the law requires
here as I have told you repeatedly.

You still completely blotto ?

but I din;t claim I did it myself, I could have
done, but he had the knack of bending cables
and having a decent wire stripper and pliers.
So rather than getting quailfied and paying
the ~400 or so fee I decided not to go DIY
because DIY wsas not cheaper than getting
someone in that was qualified.

Didn't cost me a cent to get someone qualified
to say he had done the work when he had not.

But you still couldn't do it.

Wrong, as always.

I'll try again why didn;t you sign the work off yuorself ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

So why didn't you get qualified so you could do it yourself ?

I've told you repeatedly that that isnt even possible here.

The ONLY way to get qualified is to spend YEARS as an apprentice.

Exactly, which is why most people don;t build houses themselves.

There is no legal requirement to be an apprentice
for years to build your own house.

Most people have other useful skills that they use to earn a living,

I did both.

some who can't earn enough to buy a
house choose to build their own house.

In the years I built my own house, I earned more
than the bloke running the place I worked at did,
essentially because the capital gain on your
primary residence is tax free here.

AND I was very well paid at work at the same time too.

AND I made a lot of money on the stock market at the same time too.

Even if you are one of the engineers that writes the wiring rules, there
is no way to be qualified to do the work without the apprenticeship.

It's a right royal scam designed to produce a closed shop.

Yes I know. It has uses though, in that if yuo have passed
the course yuo should know what you are doing,

You don't need to pass the course to know what you are doing.

Nothing I did had to be redone and it was all done
as the law required it be done except for the formal
qualification that I didn't have.

which is the sort of person I prefer working on my home.

I'm quite capable of reading the wiring rules
and working out how it needs to be done.

You arent even qualified after you have finished your
apprenticeship, that doesn't get you the electrical
contactor's license you need to do the work legally.

Again which is why it's a waste of resources to DIY
this type of job unless it's a main source of income.

You're wrong, as always.

In the years I built my own house, I earned more
than the bloke running the place I worked at did,
essentially because the capital gain on your
primary residence is tax free here.

AND I was very well paid at work at the same time too.

AND I made a lot of money on the stock market at the same time too.

There was no waste of resources what so ever.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

You're too stupid to sign a bit of paper ?

I can't do that LEGALLY.

And I can;t work on my gas illegally either.

It is legal for you to do the gas work on your own house.

If I wanted to do my own gas work I'd
need to dom the course at the very least.

Wrong, as always. Some course isnt the only way
to get the knowledge required to do it safely.

doing that and paying for it isn;t an
effecinet use of my time or money.

And when I just read the wiring rules and did what
was required was a VERY efficient use of my time
and money instead of paying someone to do it.

In spades with the whole house.

Then why the **** didn't you get qualified ?

Not interested in being an apprentice for years
and then taking even longer to qualify as an
electrical contractor.

Me niether or a gas contractor, or as an HGV driver to deliver bricks and
RSG and everything else that would help me build a house as a DIY project.

For me and teh vast majority it's more effcint to buy a ready built house.

Yes, most people are too stupid to be able to build a house from scratch.

Doesn't mean that everyone is tho.