Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but you do know that DIY done properly has to be
cheaper than paying someone else to do the same work.

Doesn;t have to be, depends on the DIY.

You'd have to be completely hopeless at DIY for it not to be.

Do you have a gas safe cert. ?

Don't need one when working on your own house.

If I want a tree cut down I could do it myself,
if I had the tools the ladders the PPE and the
skills, but I haven't so I'd get a 'man' in to do it.

More fool you. It costs peanuts to get what you need at
garage/yard sales and there is **** all skill involved at all.

You really are an idiot.

We'll see...

If you want to cut a tree down you need to ask the
council in case it's listed or otherwise protected.

You need to do that regardless of whether
you are cutting it down yourself or paying
someone else to cut it down.

If you have a brain you want to buy all the correct euipment

There is no "all the correct equipment", there
are plenty of different ways to cut trees down.

or at least hire it, and that's not cheap,

Bull****. I just got another electric chainsaw from
a garage/yard sale for just $20 and it works fine.

And I could just borrow one from any number of
my mates too just like I have lent mine to them too.

you'd have top get insurance too.

Bull****.

I designed and build my whole house on a bare
block of land and taught myself to weld because
I prefer steel over wood for everything from tables
to gates and the bulk of the house structure.

Have you taken up dentistry too.

I don't bother with dentists.

Maybe I could have replaced the roof,

No maybe about it in my case, I know I can
because I did all that myself personally too.

well good for you.

Anyone who isnt completely useless can do that too.

but I don't have any scaffolding

You don't need any scaffolding, I didn't have any.

When I got my roof done it was a legal requirment.

Depends on the roof.

But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.

I broke no H&S rules except that in the summer I chose
to do it in just shorts and thongs, not even a shirt.

That only had one very minor downside. I have vertical
iron welded to the ends of the galvanised sheet steel
J beams that are the entire roof structure and the oregon
facia bolts onto that. I welded those once the J beams
had been welded onto the 5x3" RHS that forms the top
of the walls along the entire N and S 100' walls and did
that when standing on a ladder wearing just thongs and
shorts. One of the blobs of molten metal did manage to
fall between a couple of toes but that was just a minor
nuisance.

I bet you never even used PPE

I'm not stupid enough to use that.

and probbaly worked alone.

I do when I shovel out the gutters too.

I have VERY wide gutters, 15" wide and its
completely trivial to stand on the flat roof
and quite literally shovel the crap out of the
gutters onto the ground.

When I built my own house from scratch,

so you didn;t actually buid it yourself

I did actually.

you had help.

**** all of that.

Why didn;t yuo do it yourself as you said.

I did.

that triggered a bit of a rash of that with
quite a few of my mates and we did that
with each other's houses.

so you have to help out your mates how
many years have you been doing that for.

The same couple of years that I was building mine.

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the easiest stuff,

so that technoklutze mate of yours
did he build his own house too ?

I just said he didn't, stupid.

in one case one of them quite literally painted
the outside of the concrete block place with a
broom and a bucket of paint.

That was HIS OWN HOUSE, not mine, stupid.

Was that because you were to stupid to
do it as I thought you did the DIY yourself.

That was him, not me, stupid. And he was the only
one that did that like that, all the rest managed to
do a lot more of the house building themselves.

When a mate of mine replaced my meter tails
I did NOT cliam to do thaqt MYSELF as a DIY
project, getting someone else to do yuor DIY

I never said that any of my DIY was done like that.

is not you doing your DIY.

Duh.

Did you design your own house too,

Yep, and it's a fairly fancy passive solar design too.

or did a friend do it.

Nope.

so I got someone in to do it.

More fool you.

why you got someone to paint your concrete

I never did anything of the sort.

HE PAINTED HIS OWN HOUSE THAT WAY, stupid.

why when you can do it yuorself.?

That is what I did, painted my own house.

They all painted their own houses.

That particular technoklutz chose to use a broom and
a bucket of paint WHEN PAINTING HIS OWN HOUSE.

Same with the 'gas leak' couldn;t DIY.

I've never got anyone to do anything like that.

So if you had a gas leak you'd do nothing about it.

Wrong, I'd fix it myself.

I bet it wouldn't if you know what you
are doing and can DIY the rewiring.

and if you can't or don't have the neccessary
certificates you're breaking the law.

I don't give a flying red **** about the law.

well that'sobvious isn;t it you don;t care about the legality of drugs

Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying thru your teeth.

Its perfectly legal to buy as many packs as you like of the
effervescent and powder forms of aspirin and paracetamol.
http://www.rpharms.com/legal-classif...atus-table.asp
http://www.rpharms.com/legal-classif...atus-table.asp

you don;t even mind telling peole how to commit suicide fropm helium.

Perfectly legal.

So it's not suprise you'd break H&S regualtions.

I don't give a flying red **** what some H&S regulation requires.

I do what makes sense.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

So that was a lie then wasnt; it.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist terminal ****wits ?

The only quibble he had with the wiring I did entirely
myself was that it was too neatly done and that no
electrician would have done it like that.

yeah right,

Fraid so. I have a massive great 4x4" RHS column between
2 of the 13 patio doors that provide the massive swath of
glass that makes up the N wall of the main room and that
has a total of 8 light switches on the inside surface of that
column, with the wiring inside that column that acts as a
massive steel conduit for the wiring. There is a horizontal
5x3" RHS beam that runs the entire 100' N and S wall that
has the pressed galvanised steel J beams welded to it.

The electrical cables for the switches are in the roofspace
and go thru holes in the 5x3" RHS horizontals in holes
that are bushed with short bits of plastic conduit that
go into the holes in the 5x3" RHS. The wiring in the
roof space is what we call TPS and that outer layer
is cut off so there are just the individual wires in the
4x4" vertical effectively a 4x4" conduit. I twisted the
wires that were part of a single TPS together instead
of belling them out when terminating at the switches.

Electricians don't bother.

I bet he told you you smelt nice too.

Yep, most of my mates did both.

So you didn't DO IT YOURSELF then did you.

I did actually. You can't manage
even the most basic comprehension.

You cant even manage to work out what these to are saying either.
http://www.rpharms.com/legal-classif...atus-table.asp
http://www.rpharms.com/legal-classif...atus-table.asp

I didn't with the solar panels because I had decided that
with the absolutely certain change of govt we were going
to see, that they would pull the plug on the 60c/KWH gross
feed in tariff where you get paid that even if you use that
electricity yourself. In fact they did pull the plug on that
when the govt did change, and you now only get 2c instead.

But they caved in with those who had got their panels
installed before change of govt and they still get the 60c.

and a helipad but few DIY peole have all rthe skills neccessary.

Its even easier to do pools and solar panels than the house.

Helipads in spades, nothing special about them at all.

aprt from the approval of teh aviation authorities

There is no approval required at all with the building of them.

not that you or yuor mates would care.

I don;t know anyone that is gas safe,

You don't need to be when doing work on your own house.

YES YOU DO.

NO YOU DO NOT IN BRITAIN.