Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 20:23:26 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...king-view.html

Just like most DIY jobs if you're stupid enough you can do virtually all jobs yourself.

**** all are that stupid with the smaller trees.

What's a 'smaller tree'

The sort of tree that even a fool like you can cut down safely.

I'm not foolish enough to cut down a tree without researching teh job first..
Just like I was doing with my gas situation.

In fact I have 2 chainsaws, two reciprocating saws,
a bow saw and various other saws that I can use too.

I don't need such things, so I tend not to own them.
I don't even own a car, pln, train or boat because I don;t need one if I do I'll hire one.

But a reciprocating saw is and you don't need chain mail pants.

But I don't need a reciprocating saw either, not that it'd be very useful
in cutting down most trees but I've yet to need one in my life time so far.

H&S primarly aim is protectionfrom yourself and others.

I can do that without any H&S.

You just think you can, there's a differnece.

Only an idiot would take no notice of them.

Anyone with even half a clue knows how to do things safely.

Plenty of idiots knbow how to do things corectly but prefer to cut corners.
Some are stupid enough to take on jobs they have little or no understanding off.

Only an idiot would think that owning a reciprocating saw gave them, the right to cut down any tree.

I never used any scaffolding at all.

Niether have I.
But plenty of builders do.

But any fool can build their own house, millions do.

**** all do all the design and building
work starting from a bare block of land.

millions bui

But if you havent the land uhnless youm can hang it
from a cloud you can;t build your own home in London

Wrong, as always.

Then prove it.

Have a look at the Grand Designs doco series sometime.

yes I have, but that's not the majority for people in the UK, it's a tiny minority most of whom have a lot of money to throw at their project.

How are you going to build a house without land to build it on ?

You demolish the wreck that is there already, stupid.

What wreck and where ?

so where is this house ?

Australia.

What part

MIA.

that's not a part.

I have friends in Melborne and sydney, so I can get info from them.

Nope. Varys a lot more than that soggy little island of yours does.

More people prefer this soggy little island.

And buying it, and buying the oregon, getting the oil drums,
setting it all up, showing them how to do it etc etc etc.

amazing they don;t set up university courses in it isn;t it.

I'd have told them to use gloves

I'm not that stupid. And it wasn't just their hands.

I won't ask anymore.

adnI wouild have supplied them too, of
course if teh ingredinst were tottly safe

Corse it was, oil stain wont hurt you if you don't try drinking it.

Then why buy gloves for them, you could have saved money.

perhasp others would want the childn painting naked.
I installed my own windows and doors by telling the
installers what I wanted. I don't call that DIY.

Letting the kids paint the fascia boards is still DIY, stupid.

Here we used to call that bob a job week.
Plenty of eastern europeans doing those sort of jobs around here.
Buit perhaps getting kids to dop it cheaper is an advantage.

and come to think of it I should get my chimney looked at, got any spare kids so I can DIY my own chimney ?

One of the little buggers did his own DIY with one of the
neighbour's houses. The main sewer line had been done
and left overnight for the council inspection the next day,
earthen ware pipes down the bulk of the block because
our sewer line goes down the back fence line inside the
block of one line of houses. Got in the trench and smashed
most of the pipes with a hammer he found lying around.

we tend to call that vandalism rather than DIY.
My ex-French flatmat(now living in australia) told me that the term "do it yourself" if france refers to masterbating.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.

Nope, to claim he did the work. He didn't.

that should have been a YES in that you DID need someone else to sign off yuor work.

So you couldn't sign it off yourself then why is that ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

Same here too. I too got a mate to do my tails

I didn't, I did all the electrical work myself.

but still needed soneone else to sign it off, why ?

but I din;t claim I did it myself, I could have
done, but he had the knack of bending cables
and having a decent wire stripper and pliers.
So rather than getting quailfied and paying
the ~£400 or so fee I decided not to go DIY
because DIY wsas not cheaper than getting
someone in that was qualified.

Didn't cost me a cent to get someone qualified
to say he had done the work when he had not.

But you still couldn't do it.

I'll try again why didn;t you sign the work off yuorself ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

So why didn't you get qualified so you could do it yourself ?

I've told you repeatedly that that isnt even possible here.

The ONLY way to get qualified is to spend YEARS as an apprentice.

Exactly, which is why most people don;t build houses themselves.
Most people have other useful skills that they use to earn a living, some who can't earn enough to buy a house choose to build their own house.

Even if you are one of the engineers that writes the wiring rules, there
is no way to be qualified to do the work without the apprenticeship.

It's a right royal scam designed to produce a closed shop.

Yes I know. It has uses though, in that if yuo have passed the course yuo should know what you are doing, which is the sort of person I prefer working on my home.

You arent even qualified after you have finished your
apprenticeship, that doesn't get you the electrical
contactor's license you need to do the work legally.

Again which is why it's a waste of resources to DIY this type of job unless it's a main source of income.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

You're too stupid to sign a bit of paper ?

I can't do that LEGALLY.

And I can;t work on my gas illegally either.
If I wanted to do my own gas work I'd need to dom the course at the very least.
doing that and paying for it isn;t an effecinet use of my time or money.

Then why the **** didn't you get qualified ?

Not interested in being an apprentice for years
and then taking even longer to qualify as an
electrical contractor.

Me niether or a gas contractor, or as an HGV driver to deliver bricks
and RSG and everything else that would help me build a house as a DIY project.

For me and teh vast majority it's more effcint to buy a ready built house.

Maybe you are that stupid. I'm not, it made
a hell of a lot more sense to have someone
who is legally qualified to say they did the work.