Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bobo

Default ice dams - attic temperature & outside temperature - how close is close enough

I've been working on sealing up my attic to prevent the giant Ice Dams
that I had earlier this winter. When I started, my attic was 15
degrees over the outside temp. With careful sealing, I've managed to
cut this to 5 degrees under most conditions, but more like 10 if it's
really sunny out (with no snow on the roof).

all my sources say "keep the attic as close as possible to the outside
temperature" - so at 5 degrees, am I close enough?

thanks,

Bobo

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

"Bobo" writes:

I've been working on sealing up my attic to prevent the giant Ice Dams
that I had earlier this winter. When I started, my attic was 15
degrees over the outside temp. With careful sealing, I've managed to
cut this to 5 degrees under most conditions, but more like 10 if it's
really sunny out (with no snow on the roof).

all my sources say "keep the attic as close as possible to the outside
temperature" - so at 5 degrees, am I close enough?

I'd have to think that's awfully close.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

New roof aftermath - cleaning up the attic Dan_Musicant Home Repair 17 June 28th 19 07:52 AM
Insulate and seal a furnace stack in the attic? damncold Home Repair 11 January 9th 06 02:39 AM
CH - alpha pumps FrancisJK UK diy 45 September 23rd 04 08:06 PM
Attic Fans, Open windows, help me figure it out :) CoogarXR Home Repair 8 May 15th 04 03:59 AM