Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

JUST that a run down dump is obviously going
to be cheaper to buy and DIY than buying the
same thing which isnt a run down dump.

I thought that.

However buying the non-run-down-dump is a known
cost, whereas DIY always has 'contingencies'.

Yes, but you do know that DIY done properly has to be
cheaper than paying someone else to do the same work.

And with house prices falling and copper prices rising it would
probably have been cheaper to move house than rewire this place.

I bet it wouldn't if you know what you are doing and can DIY the rewiring.

And I wasn't talking about rewiring anyway, I was talking about all DIY of
houses.

And falling house prices are irrelevant given that you would
have to sell the current one in the current house price market.

And the worst of the completely run down dumps need a hell
of a lot more work done on them than just rewiring as well so
there is a hell of a lot to be saved by doing that work yourself
over buying the same thing that someone else has already done
that to.