Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

On 2014-10-30, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 06:04:34 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.
You will be fined.

There's seven trees been removed from our garden in the last week, and
25-30 this year. The tallest have been 70ft+ tall.

No fines, no reason for fines.

Of course not. Unless trees have TPOs on them, you can do whatever you like
with them, including cutting them down

Can't things get a bit awkward with DEFRA rules if you wish to do some
work to trees in the Bird nesting season if the tree has a nest in
it? I doubt every back garden can be observed by them but if like us
the trees are part of the hedge dividing the garden from a farm
cutting them down at the wrong time might be noticed.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 16:58:00 UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:48:02 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

I see you missed the point. No suprise there.

or rambling you just don't understand simple things.

I don't understand you, that's true.

Just because a tree is in your garden it does NOT mean you own it

If you own the garden then, yes, it does.

It's whether or not yuo own the land

I do.

and even then you still have to abide by TPOs

There aren't any.

Then that's OK then isn't it.
My point was that if you consider yuorself compemnted at anyhting you really need to know what you are doing and the laws, rules and any regualtions surrounding what you are doing, otherwise your not considered compedent.

So in what circumstances _can't_ I take a chainsaw to a tree on my land,
given that there are no TPOs, individual or blanket, and I'm not in a
conservation area or national park or similar?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...28/2127793.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 04:01:04 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Then that's OK then isn't it.
My point was that if you consider yuorself compemnted at anyhting you
really need to know what you are doing and the laws, rules and any
regualtions surrounding what you are doing, otherwise your not
considered compedent.

Your point was quite clearly made (for a change) - you were explicit that
I couldn't. You were wrong. Just man up and admit it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/14 12:01, whisky-dave wrote:

So in what circumstances _can't_ I take a chainsaw to a tree on my land,
given that there are no TPOs, individual or blanket, and I'm not in a
conservation area or national park or similar?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...28/2127793.pdf

I didn't see anything there that met the PP's query...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 22:07:45 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.

That isnt what was being discussed.

yes it was.

if you're stupid enough you can do virtually all jobs yourself.

Don't have to be stupid, just have a clue.

or clueless.

I'm not foolish enough to cut down a tree without researching teh job
first.

Only a fool would bother to 'research' cutting down a 6' tree.

I'd be glad to be throught of as a fool if I was looking to see what a 6ft tree could possibley fall on. Only an idiot wouldn't bother.
Theree's plenty of those idiots on youtube.

Just like I was doing with my gas situation.

Different matter entirely. You have to be completely
stupid to injure yourself with the smaller trees.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to injure yuorself with a razor blade,
even shaving, lots of people do though, but I have never.

Anyway it;'s unlikely a tree will injury you, well no more so than a gun or nuclear warhead.

In fact I have 2 chainsaws, two reciprocating saws,
a bow saw and various other saws that I can use too.

I don't need such things, so I tend not to own them.

Then even someone as stupid as you should be able
to work out that you can borrow one if you need one.

Borrow, hire, steal lots of options.

I don't even own a car,

More fool you.

Why I don't need one. I don't need a boat or a plan, or a van or lorry.

But a reciprocating saw is and you don't need chain mail pants.

But I don't need a reciprocating saw either, not
that it'd be very useful in cutting down most trees

You're wrong, as always, particularly if you don't like chainsaws.

I don't need a reciprocating saw, a chain saw, a flame thrower, a nuclear missle.
I doubt everyone in the world owns either a reciprocating saw or a chainsaw.

but I've yet to need one in my life time so far.

Irrelevant to what is available if you need to cut down a tree.

As I don't need to cut down a tree I find little use in owning such a tool.

H&S primarly aim is protectionfrom yourself and others.

I can do that without any H&S.

You just think you can,

I know I can, because I have been doing
it since before you were even born thanks.

And how do you know that ?

You didn;t even know that you're not alloweed to turn the gas back on if it;'s been switched off by your suplier and a warning notice issued.
You just think you can turn it back on again.

Nope, no one with even half a clue needs a pig ignorant
prat like you to tell them how to do anything safely.

You're the pig ignorant one.

And plenty know how to do things safely and only cut
corners when the worst possibility is a minor nuisance.

A minor nuisance.. such as what, not checking for leaks as it's a minor nuisance.

I never used any scaffolding at all.

Niether have I.
But plenty of builders do.

**** all do with single story houses.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=us...1267 &bih=427

Have a look at the Grand Designs doco series sometime.

yes I have, but that's not the majority for people in the UK,

You didn't say anything about any majority with that stupid claim above.

The point was whether or not most people build their own houses as DIY projects to save money.

it's a tiny minority most of whom have
a lot of money to throw at their project.

That's what the GRAND in the title is about, stupid.

Most people can't afford grand houses, even if they are cheaper than buying new.

that's not a part.

Wrong, as always.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murrumb...rrigation_Area

Prices pretty cheap, compared to London no wonder it's easier to build cheaply.

I have friends in Melborne and sydney,
so I can get info from them.

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to use the net.

Yep, I can see property prices in MIA are far far cheaper than London.

Nope. Varys a lot more than that soggy little island of yours does.

More people prefer this soggy little island.

Wrong, as always. We don't let very many of you fools in here.

You let my two friends in, but we have more people in London than you dm in the whole of australia.

My ex-French flatmat(now living in australia) told me that
the term "do it yourself" if france refers to masterbating.

It does in plenty of other places too, including in here in just the last
week.

So that is what you mean by DIY, with little kids that you don't pay.
?

that should have been a YES in that you DID
need someone else to sign off yuor work.

He didn't sign anything off, he just claimed he did the work.

So lied in order to not have the worked checked properly.

So by claiming he did the work you don;t need it inspected is that it ?

Didn't cost me a cent to get someone qualified
to say he had done the work when he had not.

But you still couldn't do it.

Wrong, as always.

So why didn't you sign it off yourself.

This is a really simple question.

I'll try again why didn;t you sign the work off yuorself ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

So why didn't you get qualified so you could do it yourself ?

I've told you repeatedly that that isnt even possible here.

The ONLY way to get qualified is to spend YEARS as an apprentice.

Exactly, which is why most people don;t build houses themselves.

There is no legal requirement to be an apprentice
for years to build your own house.

But to put the electrics in there is isn't there or don't you include that whn building a house.? How about windows and drainage.

Yes I know. It has uses though, in that if yuo have passed
the course yuo should know what you are doing,

You don't need to pass the course to know what you are doing.

Nothing I did had to be redone and it was all done
as the law required it be done except for the formal
qualification that I didn't have.

Why don't you get that formal qualification.
Is it the same reason that I don't have a car. ?

which is the sort of person I prefer working on my home.

I'm quite capable of reading the wiring rules
and working out how it needs to be done.

or so you say, but thats not what the law requres is it.

Again which is why it's a waste of resources to DIY
this type of job unless it's a main source of income.

You're wrong, as always.

So what reason do you have for not being qualified to sign your own work of.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

Why Not.

You're too stupid to sign a bit of paper ?

I can't do that LEGALLY.

And I can;t work on my gas illegally either.

It is legal for you to do the gas work on your own house.

NO IT IS NOT. If your NOT gas safe you aren't allowed to reconnect the gas it says so on the notices that were left. IDIOT !

doing that and paying for it isn;t an
effecinet use of my time or money.

And when I just read the wiring rules and did what
was required was a VERY efficient use of my time
and money instead of paying someone to do it.

Just like you did the painting is that it.

For me and teh vast majority it's more effcint to buy a ready built house.

Yes, most people are too stupid to be able to build a house from scratch.

No most people can it's just for most it's not worth it.
Most peole end up with huts that they build themselves, while the rich have houses and flats built for them.
Why would weatlhy chinese spend 1/2 million on a 2 bed flat in London when thery can get a house built in china for a fraction of the cost ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.

That isnt what was being discussed.

yes it was.

You're lying thru your teeth now.

YOU tried that red herring when what was being discussed
was whether it makes more sense to DIY the removal or the
pruning of a tree or pay someone else to do that.

That isnt research, you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

H&S primarly aim is protectionfrom yourself and others.

I can do that without any H&S.

You just think you can,

I know I can, because I have been doing
it since before you were even born thanks.

And how do you know that ?

How do I know what ?

You didn;t even know that you're not alloweed
to turn the gas back on if it;'s been switched off
by your suplier and a warning notice issued.
You just think you can turn it back on again.

You're lying thru your teeth, as always.

I never ever said anything about turning gas back on.

Like I said, **** all do with single story houses.

Have a look at the Grand Designs doco series sometime.

yes I have, but that's not the majority for people in the UK,

You didn't say anything about any majority with that stupid claim above.

The point was whether or not most people build
their own houses as DIY projects to save money.

That wasn't what was being discussed in the quoting
you have now carefully deleted, you pathetic excuse
for a lying bull**** artist.

None of the rest of your even more flagrantly dishonest
**** worth bothering with, all flushed where it belongs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 November 2014 12:06:06 UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 04:01:04 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Then that's OK then isn't it.
My point was that if you consider yuorself compemnted at anyhting you
really need to know what you are doing and the laws, rules and any
regualtions surrounding what you are doing, otherwise your not
considered compedent.

Your point was quite clearly made (for a change) - you were explicit that
I couldn't. You were wrong. Just man up and admit it.

Man up and admit what exactly, you couldn't what ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 November 2014 20:30:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.

That isnt what was being discussed.

yes it was.

You're lying thru your teeth now.

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

I said you need to know, no lying by me.

YOU tried that red herring when what was being discussed
was whether it makes more sense to DIY the removal or the
pruning of a tree or pay someone else to do that.

Yep, in that it makes more sense to get someone else to do it.
espeacilly if it's a large tree and you don;t have the equipment and don;t know much about it. If yuor'e a tree surgeon then it makes sense to do it yourself.

if you're stupid enough you can do virtually all jobs yourself.

Don't have to be stupid, just have a clue.

or clueless.

Wrong, as always.

How about the gasman that blew up a few houses did he have a clue ?

I'm not foolish enough to cut down a
tree without researching teh job first.

Only a fool would bother to 'research' cutting down a 6' tree.

I'd be glad to be throught of as a fool if I was looking
to see what a 6ft tree could possibley fall on.

That isnt research, you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

Yes it is arsehole.

That you were doing it before I was born dip**** !

How do you know when I was born dip****.

You didn;t even know that you're not alloweed
to turn the gas back on if it;'s been switched off
by your suplier and a warning notice issued.
You just think you can turn it back on again.

You're lying thru your teeth, as always.

I never ever said anything about turning gas back on.

you said I could work on gas in my own home, that is WRONG.
You are an idiot and have proved it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.

That isnt what was being discussed.

yes it was.

You're lying thru your teeth now.

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

I said you need to know,

You need to know regardless of whether you are DIYing
it or paying someone else to do the work, fool.

no lying by me.

You lied when you claimed that was being discussed, it never was.

YOU tried that red herring when what was being discussed
was whether it makes more sense to DIY the removal or the
pruning of a tree or pay someone else to do that.

Yep, in that it makes more sense to get someone else to do it.

Bull**** it does. Even someone as stupid as you can prune a ****ing tree.

None of the rest of your even sillier **** worth
bothering with, all flushed where it belongs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 November 2014 19:16:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

You should just cut down trees even if you 'own' them.

That isnt what was being discussed.

yes it was.

You're lying thru your teeth now.

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

I said you need to know,

You need to know regardless of whether you are DIYing
it or paying someone else to do the work, fool.

Of course you do fool, that was my point you should DIY things unless you do know what you're doing.

no lying by me.

You lied when you claimed that was being discussed, it never was.

If you're doing ANY job you should be aware of any dangers and also of any laws relating to what you are doing.

Any fool can prune a ****ing tree.
But only intellgent people would both checking to see if you are allowed to prune the ****ing tree stupid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20471221

None of the rest of your even sillier **** worth
bothering with, all flushed where it belongs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[...]

That's true of both DIY and paying someone else to do it, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 November 2014 18:05:46 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Yes IN knew, yuo didn;'t that's why you suggested ignore H&S and DIYing the job because according to you you don;lt need to be gas safe to work on your own home.
Well you can't ****wit , well not unless you're completely stupid.
I bet when you buit your house you installed gas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Yes IN knew, yuo didn;'t

Completely blotto, as always.

LEGALLY you can do the work on your own home, ****wit.

Well you can't ****wit , well not unless you're completely stupid.
I bet when you buit your house you installed gas.

There you go, face down in the mud, as always.

No gas in my house, you stupid drunken clown.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 November 2014 20:11:59 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

that's why you suggested ignore H&S and DIYing the job because according
to you you don;lt need to be gas safe to work on your own home.

LEGALLY you can do the work on your own home, ****wit.

No you can't, well NOT gas work, unless you have the required cert.
Pretty much the same as replacing a consumer unit.

No gas in my house, you stupid drunken clown.

That explains how you know so little about this then doesn't it.

Even when I'm completely blotto my arse is more sensible and knowledgeable than you on most subjects it seems.

Unless yopu can prove otherwise with links to facts rather than your imagination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Thursday, 6 November 2014 20:11:59 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

that's why you suggested ignore H&S and DIYing the job because according
to you you don;lt need to be gas safe to work on your own home.

LEGALLY you can do the work on your own home, ****wit.

No you can't, well NOT gas work, unless you have the required cert.

Wrong, the law says you have to be 'competent' (see discussions here
before)

Pretty much the same as replacing a consumer unit.

Nope.

No gas in my house, you stupid drunken clown.

That explains how you know so little about this then doesn't it.

In this case, your are the one who needs to brush up on his knowledge
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote

that's why you suggested ignore H&S and DIYing the job because according
to you you don;lt need to be gas safe to work on your own home.

LEGALLY you can do the work on your own home, ****wit.

No you can't, well NOT gas work, unless you have the required cert.

You are just plain wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 November 2014 17:27:45 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Thursday, 6 November 2014 20:11:59 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

that's why you suggested ignore H&S and DIYing the job because according
to you you don;lt need to be gas safe to work on your own home.

LEGALLY you can do the work on your own home, ****wit.

No you can't, well NOT gas work, unless you have the required cert.

Wrong, the law says you have to be 'competent' (see discussions here
before)

Where does the LAW say that.
Have you actually read up on it I thought not.
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...pplia nce.pdf

What gas work can I do myself?
The definition of gas 'work' is quite wide ranging but you can
perform the tasks set out in the user's instructions, (provided
by the appliance manufacturer) that are intended for the user
to carry ou
t. This would not be a breach of the law.
The law allows you to replace or adjust any component or
control that is designed to be operated, or replaced by the gas
consumer e.g. a cooker tap control knob. However you should
not do anything that involves d
isturbing the gas carrying
components (such as the gas supply pipe) or that could affect
the combustion process (such as removing the combustion
case of an appliance
-
see
Can I take the case off my gas
appliance?
below).
Can I take the case off my gas appliance?
It depends on whether the case is purely decorative
or whether it is an integral part of the appliance.
Decorative casing:
These cases can usually be removed by the consumer e.g. can be lifted off or are
hinged panels and do not need to be unscrewed. A decorative case can be removed safely by the consumer
or anybody else remembering to follow any warning labels and making sure you have isolated any electrical
parts. However, if you are in any doubt, always use a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Integral casing
:
Many appliances have cases which form a seal aro
und the gas carrying components e.g.
burner, combustion chamber, etc as well as being decorative. If removing the case involves undoing a
number of screws, this normally means it is a functional case and it should not be removed by the consumer
or a person
who is not Gas Safe registered.

Pretty much the same as replacing a consumer unit.

Nope.

No gas in my house, you stupid drunken clown.

That explains how you know so little about this then doesn't it.

In this case, your are the one who needs to brush up on his knowledge

Really.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2014 14:31, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 10 November 2014 17:27:45 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Thursday, 6 November 2014 20:11:59 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

that's why you suggested ignore H&S and DIYing the job because according
to you you don;lt need to be gas safe to work on your own home.

LEGALLY you can do the work on your own home, ****wit.

No you can't, well NOT gas work, unless you have the required cert.

Wrong, the law says you have to be 'competent' (see discussions here
before)

Where does the LAW say that.
Have you actually read up on it I thought not.
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...pplia nce.pdf

Are we _really_ going through this again?

whisky-dave, you're wrong. Try looking at the law, not the
interpretation of it from people who stand to gain from saying it's
illegal to do stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 November 2014 15:56:32 UTC, Clive George wrote:
[...]

Then I need a superior being such as yourself to show me that law.

Can you tell me why you've not shown me that law ?
If you show me a law that say I can work on gas myself then I believe you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/14 16:16, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 November 2014 15:56:32 UTC, Clive George wrote:

Are we _really_ going through this again?

whisky-dave, you're wrong. Try looking at the law, not the
interpretation of it from people who stand to gain from saying it's
illegal to do stuff.

Then I need a superior being such as yourself to show me that law.

Can you tell me why you've not shown me that law ?
If you show me a law that say I can work on gas myself then I believe you.

Since you ask:

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Sorry Dave, Clive's correct and GasSafe are fudging the interpretation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

Quoting:

3. (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting
or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above
and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his
employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service
pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work,
unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a
member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health
and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

---------

It's basically between those 2 paragraphs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That has been show to you REPEATEDLY.

The problem is that you are completely blotto, as always
and that's why you can never remember what your stupid
nose has been rubbed in time after time after time on this.

If you show me a law that say I can work on gas myself then I believe you.

That has happened repeatedly now, and you have just forgotten already.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive
George writes
On 11/11/2014 14:31, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 10 November 2014 17:27:45 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes

No you can't, well NOT gas work, unless you have the required cert.

Wrong, the law says you have to be 'competent' (see discussions here
before)

Where does the LAW say that.
Have you actually read up on it I thought not.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...20work%20on%20
a%20gas%20appliance.pdf

Are we _really_ going through this again?

Quite.

Whisky-dave is doing well though, he is having this discussion in two
different threads at the same time.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 November 2014 23:21:33 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message , Clive
George writes
On 11/11/2014 14:31, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 10 November 2014 17:27:45 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes

No you can't, well NOT gas work, unless you have the required cert.

Wrong, the law says you have to be 'competent' (see discussions here
before)

Where does the LAW say that.
Have you actually read up on it I thought not.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...20work%20on%20
a%20gas%20appliance.pdf

Are we _really_ going through this again?

Quite.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqownerocc.htm
Do I have to use a Gas Safe registered engineer to complete gas work?

Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be a Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website and competent in that area of gas work. The gas engineer's competencies are clearly marked on the back of the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. If in any doubt you can ring Gas Safe Register 0800 408 5500 or check their website link to external website to see if the engineer is registered.

Whisky-dave is doing well though, he is having this discussion in two
different threads at the same time.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
[...]

Sigh.......

Yes, if someone is doing the work for reward, they have to be Gas Safe
registered.

You can do your own work if you are 'competent', as has been pointed out
to you a number of times now.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 14:52:45 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
[...]

NO you can NOT.

you have to be 'competent' yes but also be gas safe. Even those that are gas safe aren't allowed to work on instalations they are NOT 'competent'to work on.

They got rid of the idea mthat if you work for nothiong you only have to be 'competent' years ago.
The idea that if you didn;t pay anyponme to do your gas work then it's OK was found to be a flawed idea, because people were getting the clueless in that said they were 'competent' tpo do the job because they weren;'t being paid.

Which was a lie, they weren;t being paid in the normal sense of the word but perhaps you've heard of the phrase a 'drink in it for you' peolpe were doing those jobs claiming to be 'competent' rather than qualified.

Afterall ypuo couild be quite 'competent' in gas in sopme countries where the regulations aren't as stricted as in the UK, and they could be quite 'competent' but ubnless thy've read the H&S of teh country they are working in then how can they be 'competent' ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/14 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Dave you are wrong. Perhaps if I post this enough time you might get to
see it

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

WRONG. Back in 1998 it was OK BEFORE gas safe during the CORGI era.
but that has now changed.

Claiming being 'competent' is NO longer enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 16:19:03 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

You are NOT considered 'competent' to work on gas unless you are gas safe registared. It really is that simple.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/14 16:24, whisky-dave wrote:

WRONG. Back in 1998 it was OK BEFORE gas safe during the CORGI era.
but that has now changed.

Claiming being 'competent' is NO longer enough.

I've named the Act that says it is.

If that's changed, could you name the Act that supports your view?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/14 16:26, whisky-dave wrote:

You are NOT considered 'competent' to work on gas unless you are gas safe registared. It really is that simple.

Says who?

Not the 1998 Act.

that's why it says:

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1)...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 14:52:45 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Tuesday, 11 November 2014 21:08:58 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 11 November 2014 15:56:32 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 11/11/2014 14:31, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 10 November 2014 17:27:45 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message
,
whisky-dave writes
[...]

last summer, I talked to the Gas Safe person who was servicing our theatre
boilers. He checked with Gas Safe and, yes, I was allowed to work on my
own boiler.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/14 17:06, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 16:44:05 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/11/14 16:26, whisky-dave wrote:

You are NOT considered 'competent' to work on gas unless you are gas safe registared. It really is that simple.

Says who?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqownerocc.htm
3rd question down.

Do I have to use a Gas Safe registered engineer to complete gas work?

Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be a Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website and competent in that area of gas work. The gas engineer's competencies are clearly marked on the back of the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. If in any doubt you can ring Gas Safe Register 0800 408 5500 or check their website link to external website to see if the engineer is registered.

Please quote an Act of parliament - not the ramblings of a professional
body with an axe to grind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqownerocc.htm 3rd question down.

Do I have to use a Gas Safe registered engineer to complete gas work?

Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be a
Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website and competent in
that area of gas work. The gas engineer's competencies are clearly marked
on the back of the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. If in any doubt
you can ring Gas Safe Register 0800 408 5500 or check their website link
to external website to see if the engineer is registered.

It's the magic word "EMPLOYED". You are not employing yourself if you work
on your own equipment.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

funnily enough, I'd prefer to believe a professional who has been working
in the industry for a great many years.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2014 14:26, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

We're talking about DIY, so that's not relevant. Next?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2014 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

You've had the relevant section of the law pointed to you.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

It doesn't say you need to be on the gas safe register. Or can you point
to a bit which does?