Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

On 12/11/2014 16:26, whisky-dave wrote:

You are NOT considered 'competent' to work on gas unless you are gas safe registared. It really is that simple.

Where is the law which says that? You've had the law which doesn't say
that shown to you - unless you can show otherwise, you're not going to
win this argument.

You'll probably go on insisting you need to be gas safe, but you'll be
wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2014 17:06, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 16:44:05 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/11/14 16:26, whisky-dave wrote:

You are NOT considered 'competent' to work on gas unless you are gas safe registared. It really is that simple.

Says who?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqownerocc.htm
3rd question down.

Do I have to use a Gas Safe registered engineer to complete gas work?

Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be a Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website and competent in that area of gas work. The gas engineer's competencies are clearly marked on the back of the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. If in any doubt you can ring Gas Safe Register 0800 408 5500 or check their website link to external website to see if the engineer is registered.

I've just answered that, but :

a) That's not the law, just an interpretation of it. Though it is correct.
b) It's "Anybody employed to" - DIY is not about people being employed
to do stuff.

It does look like like they support what we're saying, not what you're
saying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2014 17:08, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/11/14 17:06, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 16:44:05 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/11/14 16:26, whisky-dave wrote:

You are NOT considered 'competent' to work on gas unless you are gas
safe registared. It really is that simple.

Says who?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqownerocc.htm
3rd question down.

Do I have to use a Gas Safe registered engineer to complete gas work?

Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be
a Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website and competent
in that area of gas work. The gas engineer's competencies are clearly
marked on the back of the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. If in
any doubt you can ring Gas Safe Register 0800 408 5500 or check their
website link to external website to see if the engineer is registered.

Please quote an Act of parliament - not the ramblings of a professional
body with an axe to grind.

Though in this case it's the HSE, and what's been written is correct. It
just doesn't say what whisky-dave thinks it does :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 09:06:04 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 16:44:05 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/11/14 16:26, whisky-dave wrote:

You are NOT considered 'competent' to work on gas unless you are gas
safe registared. It really is that simple.

Says who?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqownerocc.htm 3rd question down.

Do I have to use a Gas Safe registered engineer to complete gas work?

Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be a
Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website and competent in
that area of gas work. The gas engineer's competencies are clearly
marked on the back of the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. If in
any doubt you can ring Gas Safe Register 0800 408 5500 or check their
website link to external website to see if the engineer is registered.

Note the word "employed".
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 16:19:03 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/11/14 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 14:52:45 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Tuesday, 11 November 2014 21:08:58 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 11 November 2014 15:56:32 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 11/11/2014 14:31, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 10 November 2014 17:27:45 UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message
,
whisky-dave writes
On Thursday, 6 November 2014 20:11:59 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

that's why you suggested ignore H&S and DIYing the job
because
according
to you you don;lt need to be gas safe to work on your own
home.

LEGALLY you can do the work on your own home, ****wit.

No you can't, well NOT gas work, unless you have the required
cert.

Wrong, the law says you have to be 'competent' (see discussions
here
before)

Where does the LAW say that.
Have you actually read up on it I thought not.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...pplia nce.pdf

Are we _really_ going through this again?

whisky-dave, you're wrong. Try looking at the law, not the
interpretation of it from people who stand to gain from saying
it's
illegal to do stuff.

Then I need a superior being such as yourself to show me that law.

Can you tell me why you've not shown me that law ?

That has been show to you REPEATEDLY.

The problem is that you are completely blotto, as always
and that's why you can never remember what your stupid
nose has been rubbed in time after time after time on this.

If you show me a law that say I can work on gas myself then I
believe you.

That has happened repeatedly now, and you have just forgotten
already.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqownerocc.htm
Do I have to use a Gas Safe registered engineer to complete gas work?

Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must
be
a Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website and competent
in that area of gas work.

Sigh.......

Yes, if someone is doing the work for reward, they have to be Gas Safe
registered.

You can do your own work if you are 'competent', as has been pointed
out
to you a number of times now.

NO you can NOT.

you have to be 'competent' yes but also be gas safe. Even those that
are gas safe aren't allowed to work on instalations they are NOT
'competent'to work on.

Dave you are wrong. Perhaps if I post this enough time you might get to
see it

You are NOT considered 'competent' to work on gas unless you are gas safe
registared.

Wrong, as always.

It really is that simple.

Wrong, as always.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Sorry Dave, Clive's correct and GasSafe are fudging the interpretation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

Quoting:

3. (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting
or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above
and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his
employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service
pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work,
unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a
member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health
and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

---------

It's basically between those 2 paragraphs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 18:03:06 UTC, Clive George wrote:

We're talking about DIY, so that's not relevant. Next?

They have got rid of teh rathe rstarnge word employed.

I employed a screwdriver to undo a screw.
I DID NOT have to pay the screwdriver anything.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...pplia nce.pdf

What gas work can I do myself?
The definition of gas 'work' is quite wide ranging but you can
perform the tasks set out in the user's instructions, (provided
by the appliance manufacturer) that are intended for the user
to carry out. This would not be a breach of the law.

The law allows you to replace or adjust any component or
control that is designed to be operated, or replaced by the gas
consumer e.g. a cooker tap control knob. However you should
not do anything that involves d
isturbing the gas carrying
components (such as the gas supply pipe) or that could affect
the combustion process (such as removing the combustion
case of an appliance
-
see
Can I take the case off my gas
appliance?
below)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 18:07:00 UTC, Clive George wrote:

You've had the relevant section of the law pointed to you.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

It doesn't say you need to be on the gas safe register. Or can you point
to a bit which does?

Of course it does say that, how could it the gas safe registare didn;t exist until about 2006.
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 18:18:30 UTC, Clive George wrote:
[...]

yes it does.
What gas work can I do myself?
The definition of gas 'work' is quite wide ranging but you can
perform the tasks set out in the user's instructions, (provided
by the appliance manufacturer) that are intended for the user
to carry out.
*This would not be a breach of the law.*

Are you going to claim the above is a LIE ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 18:03:06 UTC, Clive George wrote:

We're talking about DIY, so that's not relevant. Next?

They have got rid of teh rathe rstarnge word employed.

Nothing strange about the word employed in the context of the quote from
the HSE, it means paying someone to do the job.

Of course Gas Safe don't like to use the word as they prefer to
mis-represent the law (and to be fair, lots in the trade genuinely
believe it)

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...0work%20on%20a
%20gas%20appliance.pdf

snip

Gas Safe have a vested interest here.

And that is probably the point to stop, as you obviously don't want to
accept what people here are saying (fair enough). And it's clear from
your threads with Rod Speed, that you will just keep on going and going.

There is nothing wrong with Someone Being Wrong on the Internet :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/14 13:02, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 18:07:00 UTC, Clive George wrote:

You've had the relevant section of the law pointed to you.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

It doesn't say you need to be on the gas safe register. Or can you point
to a bit which does?

Of course it does say that, how could it the gas safe registare didn;t exist until about 2006.
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...pplia nce.pdf

Because the wording says:

"unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a
member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health
and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph. "

That was written for CORGI. When GasSafe replaced CORGI for this
function, the HSE would have made the approval.

FFS Dave, just go and read the sodding link I gave you and let's discuss
it on the basis of the Act and not some spurious opinions from a trade body.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 November 2014 14:39:31 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Well I've sent an email to them asking to clarify, we'll see what happens.
My supplier npower have left two warning noticing in the meter cupbaord.

Nationalgrid metering

WARNING
The outlet connection to this meter contains a sealing disc
THE REMOVAL OF THE SEALING DISC, CONNECTION, TESTING, PURGING AND COMMISSIONING OF TEH INSTALLATION PIPEWORK AND APPLIANCES *MUST* BE CARRIED OPUT BY A GAS SAFE REGISTARED INSTALLER

SAFETY WARNING
You are warned that this gas appliance/installation has been classified
IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS........

This appliance/installation is dangerous and has been disconnected for YOUR SAFETY. It must not be reconnected until a 'GAS SAFE' registared installer has carried out remedial work on the appliance/installation to render it safe to use. It is an offence to continue using an unsafe appliance/installation:
DO NOT REMOVE.
Are you telling me I can ignore those and work on my pipework.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2014 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

And we're back to the one you've already quoted. This isn't law, it's
people who have an interest in saying you need to use them.

Cite law please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2014 13:25, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

It doesn't say it wouldn't be a breach of the law for you do DIY other
tasks too, so no, that particular subset isn't. But it doesn't say what
you think it does - it doesn't forbid you from DIYing domestic gas work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2014 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 18:03:06 UTC, Clive George wrote:

We're talking about DIY, so that's not relevant. Next?

They have got rid of teh rathe rstarnge word employed.

I employed a screwdriver to undo a screw.
I DID NOT have to pay the screwdriver anything.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...pplia nce.pdf

What gas work can I do myself?
The definition of gas 'work' is quite wide ranging but you can
perform the tasks set out in the user's instructions, (provided
by the appliance manufacturer) that are intended for the user
to carry out. This would not be a breach of the law.

The law allows you

The law allows you to change such parts and charge for doing it.
Someone like TMH could do so.

to replace or adjust any component or
control that is designed to be operated, or replaced by the gas
consumer e.g. a cooker tap control knob. However you should
not do anything that involves d
isturbing the gas carrying
components (such as the gas supply pipe) or that could affect
the combustion process (such as removing the combustion
case of an appliance
-
see
Can I take the case off my gas
appliance?
below)

In your case no, you aren't competent.
You can't be competent as you have never done any gas work and don't
have a clue about it.
On the other hand I have installed my own boiler and serviced it for 30
years so I am competent to do so. I even have a manometer I made to do
the job.
I paid for someone to do the last service, I just couldn't be bothered,
he had to be gas safe registered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 November 2014 18:51:58 UTC, Dennis@home wrote:
[...]

correct.
and niether are you I suspect.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Gas Safe Register only accepts evidence of competence in gas
safety such as:
*
National
Accredited
Certification
Scheme
for individual Gas Fitting Operatives
(ACS).
*
ACS
aligned
National/Scottish
Vocational
Qualifications
(NVQ/SVQ).
*
Qualification
Credit
Framework
(QCF)

You can't be competent as you have never done any gas work and don't
have a clue about it.
On the other hand I have installed my own boiler and serviced it for 30
years so I am competent to do so. I even have a manometer I made to do
the job.
I paid for someone to do the last service, I just couldn't be bothered,
he had to be gas safe registered.

Why did he have to be gas safe registered ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:

correct.
and niether are you I suspect.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Gas Safe Register only accepts evidence of competence in gas
safety such as:

(etc)

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to be competent.

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to DIY. You do have to be
competent.

"Competent" isn't defined further in the law. It's defined further for
the Gas Safe Register, but you don't need to be on that to DIY.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Because he would be breaking the law by operating as a company doing gas
works. That's what the law says. It doesn't say I couldn't have done it
myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 18:47, Dennis@home wrote:
Because he would be breaking the law by operating as a company doing gas
works. That's what the law says. It doesn't say I couldn't have done it
myself.

Doesn't say anything about operating as a company, does it? I think it
would apply as much to self-employed sole traders.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 22:05, polygonum wrote:
On 14/11/2014 18:47, Dennis@home wrote:
Because he would be breaking the law by operating as a company doing gas
works. That's what the law says. It doesn't say I couldn't have done it
myself.

Doesn't say anything about operating as a company, does it? I think it
would apply as much to self-employed sole traders.

You mean a company, as in a business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 November 2014 18:39:43 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 14/11/2014 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:

correct.
and niether are you I suspect.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Gas Safe Register only accepts evidence of competence in gas
safety such as:

(etc)

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to be competent.

But you do if you want to be considered competent with gas.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to DIY. You do have to be
competent.

You don;t need a license to drive a car either.

"Competent" isn't defined further in the law. It's defined further for
the Gas Safe Register, but you don't need to be on that to DIY.

The safety notice placed on tne meter negates that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2014 12:58, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 14 November 2014 18:39:43 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 14/11/2014 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:

correct.
and niether are you I suspect.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Gas Safe Register only accepts evidence of competence in gas
safety such as:

(etc)

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to be competent.

But you do if you want to be considered competent with gas.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Nope. What I said above was competent with gas. The link you give there
is about people employed to work on gas, ie not DIY.

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to DIY. You do have to be
competent.

You don;t need a license to drive a car either.

Correct. You can drive one on private land. It's pretty equivalent - you
can DIY gas.

"Competent" isn't defined further in the law. It's defined further for
the Gas Safe Register, but you don't need to be on that to DIY.

The safety notice placed on tne meter negates that.

I'm not sure what the rules are about the connection to the meter.
However I'd not expect that safety notice to recognise that DIY is legal
even if it was.

However the fact you've let your gas installation get into a state where
it has had a safety notice slapped on it and the meter capped is a hint
that you may not be competent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/14 12:58, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 14 November 2014 18:39:43 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 14/11/2014 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:

correct.
and niether are you I suspect.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Gas Safe Register only accepts evidence of competence in gas
safety such as:

(etc)

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to be competent.

But you do if you want to be considered competent with gas.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Which is one way to demonstrate competence and not the only way.

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to DIY. You do have to be
competent.

You don;t need a license to drive a car either.

On your own land, quite correct. there's no minimum age for that either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 November 2014 14:51:47 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/11/14 12:58, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 14 November 2014 18:39:43 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 14/11/2014 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:

correct.
and niether are you I suspect.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Gas Safe Register only accepts evidence of competence in gas
safety such as:

(etc)

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to be competent.

But you do if you want to be considered competent with gas.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Which is one way to demonstrate competence and not the only way.

There are other ways but how do you demonstrate compedence ?

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to DIY. You do have to be
competent.

To do DIY gas you do. But as they said on the phone it's a grey area but they expect anyone working on gas to be compedent.

http://mrstaraplumbing.com/2013/05/2...n-my-own-home/

unless you can prove otherwise, of course.

The key here is who is compenet rather than who thinks they are.
As I and teh above says it will be up to the courts to decide and tehy will onjly get involved if something goes wrong, and if that is the case then how can that person be thought of as compedent ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 16:23, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 17 November 2014 14:51:47 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/11/14 12:58, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 14 November 2014 18:39:43 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 14/11/2014 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:

correct.
and niether are you I suspect.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Gas Safe Register only accepts evidence of competence in gas
safety such as:

(etc)

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to be competent.

But you do if you want to be considered competent with gas.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Which is one way to demonstrate competence and not the only way.

There are other ways but how do you demonstrate compedence ?

If asked, you could show the steps you took to ensure safety
(calculations, leak testing, etc)

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to DIY. You do have to be
competent.

To do DIY gas you do. But as they said on the phone it's a grey area but they expect anyone working on gas to be compedent.

http://mrstaraplumbing.com/2013/05/2...n-my-own-home/

unless you can prove otherwise, of course.

Once again, somebody with an interest in disssuading DIY. What they say
is not the law.

The key here is who is compenet rather than who thinks they are.
As I and teh above says it will be up to the courts to decide and tehy will onjly get involved if something goes wrong, and if that is the case then how can that person be thought of as compedent ?

You're getting closer to the truth there. If it goes bang, you were
almost certainly not competent. So if you're DIYing you need to be sure
about what you're doing.

Sadly having the work done by a gas-safe bloke doesn't mean it won't go
bang.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 18:05:12 UTC, Clive George wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't I have to switch the gas on to do that ?

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to DIY. You do have to be
competent.

To do DIY gas you do. But as they said on the phone it's a grey area but they expect anyone working on gas to be compedent.

http://mrstaraplumbing.com/2013/05/2...n-my-own-home/

unless you can prove otherwise, of course.

Once again, somebody with an interest in disssuading DIY. What they say
is not the law.

So are you saying that the notice is a lie and I don;t have to be gas safe to switch the gas back on again.

The key here is who is compenet rather than who thinks they are.
As I and teh above says it will be up to the courts to decide and tehy will onjly get involved if something goes wrong, and if that is the case then how can that person be thought of as compedent ?

You're getting closer to the truth there. If it goes bang, you were
almost certainly not competent. So if you're DIYing you need to be sure
about what you're doing.

But what if I got someone in but didn;t pay them to do the work.
Rod S uses children (for painting anyway) and if I don't pay the person then is it really true it's not employment and I only have to have compedent people in if I employ them, otherwise anyone can work on gas.
I wonder who would be resonsible if something went wrong.
Shouldn't take long to find out there'; alsways another gas leak around the corner somewher.

Sadly having the work done by a gas-safe bloke doesn't mean it won't go
bang.

I know, but if the bloke is gas safe and it goes bang I'm assuming he is liable or at fault whereas if I do it or I get someone in to do it for me and I don;t pay them I'm not sure what happens then.

any last thing last night ws I think the gas safe bloke HAS left to gas on going by my sesults and my 'non compednece' of using logic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2014 17:27, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Should be possible to do leak testing with air.

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to DIY. You do have to be
competent.

To do DIY gas you do. But as they said on the phone it's a grey area but they expect anyone working on gas to be compedent.

http://mrstaraplumbing.com/2013/05/2...n-my-own-home/

unless you can prove otherwise, of course.

Once again, somebody with an interest in disssuading DIY. What they say
is not the law.

So are you saying that the notice is a lie and I don;t have to be gas safe to switch the gas back on again.

You're asking a different question there. I don't know what the
situation is if your meter has been capped - who's allowed to remove
that. On the gas-board side, I'd suggest DIY was a bad move.

The key here is who is compenet rather than who thinks they are.
As I and teh above says it will be up to the courts to decide and tehy will onjly get involved if something goes wrong, and if that is the case then how can that person be thought of as compedent ?

You're getting closer to the truth there. If it goes bang, you were
almost certainly not competent. So if you're DIYing you need to be sure
about what you're doing.

But what if I got someone in but didn;t pay them to do the work.

Doesn't matter, they still need to be gas-safe.

Rod S uses children (for painting anyway) and if I don't pay the person then is it really true it's not employment and I only have to have compedent people in if I employ them, otherwise anyone can work on gas.
I wonder who would be resonsible if something went wrong.
Shouldn't take long to find out there'; alsways another gas leak around the corner somewher.

I did say earlier that if your system was bad enough to get a notice
attached to it, that's a hint that you're probably not competent.

Sadly having the work done by a gas-safe bloke doesn't mean it won't go
bang.

I know, but if the bloke is gas safe and it goes bang I'm assuming he is liable or at fault whereas if I do it or I get someone in to do it for me and I don;t pay them I'm not sure what happens then.

Yes, he will be liable. The competent mate lending a hand is a tricky
one - I suspect the only way to make that work is to have him assisting
you, with you taking responsibility. I have friends I'd trust in such a
situation, but many won't. And if you DIY, it's definitely your problem
if it goes up.

any last thing last night ws I think the gas safe bloke HAS left to gas on going by my sesults and my 'non compednece' of using logic.

You think it's still leaking? Ooops :-)