Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 18:05:12 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 19/11/2014 16:23, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 17 November 2014 14:51:47 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/11/14 12:58, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 14 November 2014 18:39:43 UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 14/11/2014 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:

correct.
and niether are you I suspect.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Gas Safe Register only accepts evidence of competence in gas
safety such as:

(etc)

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to be competent.

But you do if you want to be considered competent with gas.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Which is one way to demonstrate competence and not the only way.

There are other ways but how do you demonstrate compedence ?

If asked, you could show the steps you took to ensure safety
(calculations, leak testing, etc)

Wouldn't I have to switch the gas on to do that ?

You don't have to be on the Gas Safe Register to DIY. You do have to be
competent.

To do DIY gas you do. But as they said on the phone it's a grey area but they expect anyone working on gas to be compedent.

http://mrstaraplumbing.com/2013/05/2...n-my-own-home/

unless you can prove otherwise, of course.

Once again, somebody with an interest in disssuading DIY. What they say
is not the law.

So are you saying that the notice is a lie and I don;t have to be gas safe to switch the gas back on again.

The key here is who is compenet rather than who thinks they are.
As I and teh above says it will be up to the courts to decide and tehy will onjly get involved if something goes wrong, and if that is the case then how can that person be thought of as compedent ?

You're getting closer to the truth there. If it goes bang, you were
almost certainly not competent. So if you're DIYing you need to be sure
about what you're doing.

But what if I got someone in but didn;t pay them to do the work.
Rod S uses children (for painting anyway) and if I don't pay the person then is it really true it's not employment and I only have to have compedent people in if I employ them, otherwise anyone can work on gas.
I wonder who would be resonsible if something went wrong.
Shouldn't take long to find out there'; alsways another gas leak around the corner somewher.

Sadly having the work done by a gas-safe bloke doesn't mean it won't go
bang.

I know, but if the bloke is gas safe and it goes bang I'm assuming he is liable or at fault whereas if I do it or I get someone in to do it for me and I don;t pay them I'm not sure what happens then.

any last thing last night ws I think the gas safe bloke HAS left to gas on going by my sesults and my 'non compednece' of using logic.