Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

On 14/11/2014 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 13 November 2014 18:51:58 UTC, Dennis@home wrote:
On 13/11/2014 13:00, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 18:03:06 UTC, Clive George wrote:

We're talking about DIY, so that's not relevant. Next?

They have got rid of teh rathe rstarnge word employed.

I employed a screwdriver to undo a screw.
I DID NOT have to pay the screwdriver anything.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...pplia nce.pdf

What gas work can I do myself?
The definition of gas 'work' is quite wide ranging but you can
perform the tasks set out in the user's instructions, (provided
by the appliance manufacturer) that are intended for the user
to carry out. This would not be a breach of the law.

The law allows you

The law allows you to change such parts and charge for doing it.
Someone like TMH could do so.

to replace or adjust any component or
control that is designed to be operated, or replaced by the gas
consumer e.g. a cooker tap control knob. However you should
not do anything that involves d
isturbing the gas carrying
components (such as the gas supply pipe) or that could affect
the combustion process (such as removing the combustion
case of an appliance
-
see
Can I take the case off my gas
appliance?
below)

In your case no, you aren't competent.

correct.
and niether are you I suspect.
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co...registered.pdf

Gas Safe Register only accepts evidence of competence in gas
safety such as:
*
National
Accredited
Certification
Scheme
for individual Gas Fitting Operatives
(ACS).
*
ACS
aligned
National/Scottish
Vocational
Qualifications
(NVQ/SVQ).
*
Qualification
Credit
Framework
(QCF)

You can't be competent as you have never done any gas work and don't
have a clue about it.
On the other hand I have installed my own boiler and serviced it for 30
years so I am competent to do so. I even have a manometer I made to do
the job.
I paid for someone to do the last service, I just couldn't be bothered,
he had to be gas safe registered.

Why did he have to be gas safe registered ?

Because he would be breaking the law by operating as a company doing gas
works. That's what the law says. It doesn't say I couldn't have done it
myself.