Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but you do know that DIY done properly has to be
cheaper than paying someone else to do the same work.

Doesn;t have to be, depends on the DIY.

You'd have to be completely hopeless at DIY for it not to be.

If I want a tree cut down I could do it myself,
if I had the tools the ladders the PPE and the
skills, but I haven't so I'd get a 'man' in to do it.

More fool you. It costs peanuts to get what you need at
garage/yard sales and there is **** all skill involved at all.

I designed and build my whole house on a bare block of
land and taught myself to weld because I prefer steel over
wood for everything from tables to gates and the bulk of
the house structure.

Maybe I could have replaced the roof,

No maybe about it in my case, I know I can
because I did all that myself personally too.

but I don't have any scaffolding

You don't need any scaffolding, I didn't have any.

or an extra pair of hands

Any of my mates supply that.

And I do that that for them too.

When I built my own house from scratch,
that triggered a bit of a rash of that with
quite a few of my mates and we did that
with each other's houses.

The worst of the technoklutzes just did the
easiest stuff, in one case one of them quite
literally painted the outside of the concrete
block place with a broom and a bucket of paint.

so I got someone in to do it.

More fool you.

Same with the 'gas leak' couldn;t DIY.

I've never got anyone to do anything like that.

And with house prices falling and copper prices rising it would
probably have been cheaper to move house than rewire this place.

I bet it wouldn't if you know what you are doing and can DIY the
rewiring.

and if you can't or don't have the neccessary certificates you're breaking
the law.

I don't give a flying red **** about the law.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

The only quibble he had with the wiring I did entirely myself
was that it was too neatly done and that no electrician would
have done it like that.

And I wasn't talking about rewiring anyway,
I was talking about all DIY of houses.

which doesn;t include rewiring ?

Corse it does, but includes a hell of a lot more than just that.

And the worst of the completely run down dumps need a hell
of a lot more work done on them than just rewiring as well so
there is a hell of a lot to be saved by doing that work yourself
over buying the same thing that someone else has already done
that to.

Of course if you add a swimming pool you'll
save even more put solar panels on teh roof,

Yep, most of my mates did both.

I didn't with the solar panels because I had decided that
with the absolutely certain change of govt we were going
to see, that they would pull the plug on the 60c/KWH gross
feed in tariff where you get paid that even if you use that
electricity yourself. In fact they did pull the plug on that
when the govt did change, and you now only get 2c instead.

But they caved in with those who had got their panels
installed before change of govt and they still get the 60c.

and a helipad but few DIY peole have all rthe skills neccessary.

Its even easier to do pools and solar panels than the house.

Helipads in spades, nothing special about them at all.

I don;t know anyone that is gas safe,

You don't need to be when doing work on your own house.

a qualified electrition

Two of my mates are, one of them has since died.

and roofer,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

and builder,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

and decorator,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

plumber,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

computer geek to set up a home network server,

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

carpenter.

No qualifications required. Its as easy as falling off a log.

I'm betting you can do all these things,

Yep, and a hell of a lot more than that too, particularly with
computing and flying aircraft and with dogs and children
and cars too.

And am quite capable of working out what
matters with anything else I need to do too.

but I wouldn;t trust you to wipe your own arse without a guide.

You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.

Its obvious why you are blotto most of the time.