Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

I thought you also need to know what you are doing.

Depends on where the tree is.

Well it would normamly be on your own property
you just can't go on to someone elses land and
chop down a tree because you feel like it.

That's an entirely separate matter to what we were clearly
discussing, whether you need to know what you are doing.

There are plenty of trees on your own property where
you don't need to know what you are doing to cut it down.

You need to know whether or not the tree has any
special status or is listed even if it's in your own garden.

That isnt what was being discussed there.

I do know a tree surgeon that has refused to
do a job after checking with the local council.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...28/2127793.pdf

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/gen...judgementgives

Ditto.

Plenty of youtube videos of people ssaving money by cutting
therio own trees down and it ends up on their house or car.

And vastly more who managed to cut down
the tree without doing anything like that.

and even more getting a pro in to do it.

**** all are that stupid with the smaller trees.

What's a 'smaller tree'

The sort of tree that even a fool like you can cut down safely.

I lend mine to any of my mates that need to do that.

I lend my mates tools too.
Although I haven't a 30ft ladder.
But I can lend them a pruning cutter.

So you borrow one from someone who has one.

I just had one of my mates offer me the use of one
but I don't need it because I have what I need.

In fact I have 2 chainsaws, two reciprocating saws,
a bow saw and various other saws that I can use too.

Ypu might also wan the PPE such as chain mail
trousers and other equipment the tree surgeons use.

Not if you use the less aggressive tools.

Junior hacksaw ?

Reciprocating saw.

Just saw one on one of the local facebook buy sell
swap groups this morning for just $20.

buying a saw doesn;t make you compendent to do the job.

This particular saw is a reciprocating saw that
even someone as stupid as you could use.

You don't need chain mail pants to use it either.

I don;t need chain mail pants to use my junior
hack saw or the laser cutter downstairs.
neither are very useful for cutting trees.

But a reciprocating saw is and you don't need chain mail pants.

But of course you could break the H&S rules I suppose.

I broke no H&S rules except that in the summer I chose
to do it in just shorts and thongs, not even a shirt.

That's just one of the things that make you an idiot.

Nope, worked fine.

H&S isn't about whether or not something works fine.

It is for all but fools like you.

H&S primarly aim is protectionfrom yourself and others.

I can do that without any H&S.

Only an idiot would take no notice of them.

Anyone with even half a clue knows how to do things safely.

I never used any scaffolding at all.

The first thing I made was a big steel bench made of 25mm RHS
which has wheels at one end with a frame that goes on one end
that ends up 6' high at the highest level with a couple of drop
in panels made of tongue and groove floorboards. That ran
around the concrete slab and outside the walls and was all
I needed to stand on to weld the J beams to the 5x3" RHS
that forms the top of the 100' long N and S walls.

When doing the block work walls, I just used a
few 44gal drums with timber planks on them.

With another one, when the local council claimed that
the smallest bedrooms for the kids were smaller than
were allowed under the regulations, showed him the
bit in the building regulations where it said that built
in wardrobes are counted when calculating the size of
the room. That one was the one where we both worked
on both houses when more than one pair of hands was
needed with the roof beams etc.

Well there's a number of people that can't read simple
instructions and follow them, there are some that cliam
to read and uunderstand but igmnore what's written.

In this case it was the local council that couldn't read
the building regulations with something as basic as that.

But any fool can build their own house, millions do.

**** all do all the design and building
work starting from a bare block of land.

millions bui

But if you havent the land uhnless youm can hang it
from a cloud you can;t build your own home in London

Wrong, as always.

Then prove it.

Have a look at the Grand Designs doco series sometime.

How are you going to build a house without land to build it on ?

You demolish the wreck that is there already, stupid.

so where is this house ?

Australia.

What part

MIA.

or is all australia the same.

Nope. Varys a lot more than that soggy little island of yours does.

So what did you paint your house with.

A roller with the blocks. Paint brush with the RHS.

Got the neighbour's little kids to paint the oregon
fascias with wood stain with paint brushes with the
timber all on trestles on the ground. Mission Brown,
little white kids turned into little brown kids |-)

So didn't DIY

Corse I did. Plenty educate the kids while DIYing, stupid.

unless of course telling them what stain to use.

And buying it, and buying the oregon, getting the oil drums,
setting it all up, showing them how to do it etc etc etc.

I'd have told them to use gloves

I'm not that stupid. And it wasn't just their hands.

adnI wouild have supplied them too, of
course if teh ingredinst were tottly safe

Corse it was, oil stain wont hurt you if you don't try drinking it.

I might not have bothered with gloves, but just to stop the
mums moaning about the mess their kids were in would be
enough for me to promt the wearing or gloves and overalls,

Kids don't have overalls and there were too many
of them for me to be silly enough to provide them.

perhasp others would want the childn painting naked.
I installed my own windows and doors by telling the
installers what I wanted. I don't call that DIY.

Letting the kids paint the fascia boards is still DIY, stupid.

One of the little buggers did his own DIY with one of the
neighbour's houses. The main sewer line had been done
and left overnight for the council inspection the next day,
earthen ware pipes down the bulk of the block because
our sewer line goes down the back fence line inside the
block of one line of houses. Got in the trench and smashed
most of the pipes with a hammer he found lying around.

I don't give a flying red **** what some H&S regulation requires.

I do what makes sense.

I got a licensed electrician to claim he had done the work.

So that was a lie then wasnt; it.

Ypou needed someone else to sign off the work you did.

Nope, to claim he did the work. He didn't.

So you couldn't sign it off yourself then why is that ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

Same here too. I too got a mate to do my tails

I didn't, I did all the electrical work myself.

but I din;t claim I did it myself, I could have
done, but he had the knack of bending cables
and having a decent wire stripper and pliers.
So rather than getting quailfied and paying
the ~£400 or so fee I decided not to go DIY
because DIY wsas not cheaper than getting
someone in that was qualified.

Didn't cost me a cent to get someone qualified
to say he had done the work when he had not.

I'll try again why didn;t you sign the work off yuorself ?

Because that's what the law requires here.

So why didn't you get qualified so you could do it yourself ?

I've told you repeatedly that that isnt even possible here.

The ONLY way to get qualified is to spend YEARS as an apprentice.

Even if you are one of the engineers that writes the wiring rules, there
is no way to be qualified to do the work without the apprenticeship.

It's a right royal scam designed to produce a closed shop.

You arent even qualified after you have finished your
apprenticeship, that doesn't get you the electrical
contactor's license you need to do the work legally.

Even though I have a HND equiv in electronics
with computer studies a 4 year course

I've got a hell of a lot better than that and its completely
useless as far as being qualified to do the electrical work
on my own house.

if DIY is cheaper.

No if about it.

Or why did you get him in when you could have done it youself.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

You're too stupid to sign a bit of paper ?

I can't do that LEGALLY.

Are you too stupid is that the reason.

Because I couldn't legally sign it off myself, fool.

Then why the **** didn't you get qualified ?

Not interested in being an apprentice for years
and then taking even longer to qualify as an
electrical contractor.

Maybe you are that stupid. I'm not, it made
a hell of a lot more sense to have someone
who is legally qualified to say they did the work.