Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

On Friday, 24 October 2014 01:28:58 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but you do know that DIY done properly has to be
cheaper than paying someone else to do the same work.

Doesn;t have to be, depends on the DIY.
If I want a tree cut down I could do it myself, if I had the tools the ladders the PPE and the skills, but I haven't so I'd get a 'man' in to do it.
Maybe I could have replaced the roof, but I don't have any scaffolding or an extra pair of hands so I got someone in to do it.
Same with the 'gas leak' couldn;t DIY.

And with house prices falling and copper prices rising it would
probably have been cheaper to move house than rewire this place.

I bet it wouldn't if you know what you are doing and can DIY the rewiring.

and if you can't or don't have the neccessary certificates you're breaking the law.

And I wasn't talking about rewiring anyway, I was talking about all DIY of
houses.

which doesn;t include rewiring ?

And the worst of the completely run down dumps need a hell
of a lot more work done on them than just rewiring as well so
there is a hell of a lot to be saved by doing that work yourself
over buying the same thing that someone else has already done
that to.

Of course if you add a swimming pool you'll save even more put solar panels on teh roof, and a helipad but few DIY peole have all rthe skills neccessary.
I don;t know anyone that is gas safe, a qualified electrition and roofer, and builder, and decorator, plumber, computer geek to set up a home network server, carpenter.
I'm betting you can do all these things, but I wouldn;t trust you to wipe your own arse without a guide.