Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

We can search property list to see what's avaible so do it.

Don't need to. There are plenty of examples
of people doing it in the TV house reno series.

you're right I've seen them, the last one the copuple
had about 1/2 million to spend on renovating a farm.

The bulk of those DIYing run down dumps that they
have bought at an auction in that series that concentrates
on auctions don't spend anything like that on their dumps.

The average couple

No one said anything about any average couple,
JUST that DIYing a run down dump is a VERY viable
alternative to buying the same place that someone
else has already paid professionals to do the work on.

looking for their fist home

We weren't just discussing first homes either.

are unlikely to have that sort of money.

Sure, but one of the real advantages of DIYing very
run down dumps is that the purchase price of the
dump can be possible and you can spend on the
DIYing as the money from your salary shows up
and have somewhere to live in the mean time and
stop ****ing any money against the wall on rent.

I did 5 years ago when a friends was looking for a
place to DIY. Threr's was nothing he could afford

Irrelevant to what others can afford.

It was relivent to them.

Irrelevant to what others can afford.

in the end he brought a canel boat for about £3k,
there was nothing for under £15K in the UK.

Plenty can afford more than that.

and even more can't, most of teh homeless can;t.

That is a microscopic part of the total market.

But if you really knew what you were talking
about it'd be quite easy for you to post a link
to an affortable property suitable for DIY.

Plenty can afford more than £15K.

The they can put a deposoit down then can;t they.

Wrong, as always. They can always just live in the
very run down dump and stop pouring their money
down the rat hole that is rent and do the DIY as the
salary shows up etc.

JUST that a run down dump is obviously going
to be cheaper to buy and DIY than buying the
same thing which isnt a run down dump.

No **** sherlock.

So your stupid claim that it isnt possible by individuals
has blown up in your faced and covered you with black
stuff, again.

No it hasn't it's the number of them that can.

Bull****. Plenty who can DIY do it that way.

OK if it's NOT for the majority you still need
to find a property for someone to do DIY on.

Plenty of those.

care to prove it,

Watch that TV series that shows lots of them
doing that with dumps being auctioned with
all the detail of what they paid spelt out.

Even you when completely blotto should
be able to get that out of those programs.

although there's one here.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-fort-for-sale

There are vastly more run down houses
and units that go for MUCH less than that.

Even someone as stupid as you should have
noticed that there are quite a few places that
can be significantly improved with some DIY.

Most places can be improved by DIY but
you still have to be able to afford them first.

And that is why every run down dumps are
a good place to start if you can do the DIY.

Most can;t even get a mortgage for a well maintained property.

Bull****. And its much easier to get a mortgage
on a much cheaper very run down dump when
the repayments are going to be a much smaller
percentage of your total income.

You try gettign a mortgage on something
that needs a lot of 'DIY' then the mortgage
company is unlikely to give you a mortgage.

Bull****.

And if the non run down ones are out of your
price bracket, a run down one that you can DIY
may well be a viable proposition for some.

It might be but unlikely for a DIY person,

Bull****. Its perfectly possible to update the kitchen
and bathrooms etc and even get real radical and
paint the place etc. Even someone as stupid as
you should be able to manage that if you
weren't completely blotto all the time.

All ready done it, but I needed money to do it,

I didn't, I borrowed much more to build the
house from scratch on a bare block of land.

and you need to own the property.

Not always. Some landlords are happy to allow
renters to do that stuff when they are confident
that they know what they are doing DIY wise.

that is the point.

Like hell it is. DIY aint rocket science, stupid.

Depends on what sort of DIY doesn;t it.

No DIY is rocket science.

Building houses isnt either.

Bull****. There's **** all skill involved.

There's quite a bit.....

Bull****.

The why can you find sucha place.

Why can't you find such a place.

Because there are plenty in those TV series.

Try that again in english instead of gobbledegook
when not completely blotto, as you always are.

Well what's your , are yuo just pethetic and stupifd by default.

Can't even do what you are told.

I did in fact designed and built my own house from
scratch and did virtually all the work myself as well.

Well done then. How long did it take

Couple of years.

Most of us are working for a living, we can't take a couple of years off.

I didn't take a couple of years off, that's how
long it took while working full time as well.

and how much money did you need to start.

Not a cent. I did in fact have quite a lot of money
but was getting a very decent return on that in
the stockmarket and decided to see how feasible
it would be to do it entirely with borrowed money
because I was getting a better return on my funds
than I had to pay to borrow it.

so a totally differnt situation from most.

Nope, anyone can do it like that.

Most people at least need land to build on.

And in my case that cost me the grand total
of $3750 and I didn't even have to pay that
up front, just had to pay it off to the govt.

What country was this in ?

Australia.

You lot had something similar with council houses
in the sense that no money up front was needed
to buy the one you had been renting.

Its certainly true that more are more likely
to have their windows replaced professionally
than doing that themselves tho.

Well these all those regulations you have to check for,

There are **** all regulations involved with windows.

you know nothing.

Easy to claim...

yes, you continiuly prove it.

Bull**** with windows.

You realy don't know much do you.

We'll see...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bui.../partf/windows

Like I said, **** all regulations involved with windows.

what about safety glass for certain areas

Like I said, **** all regulations involved with windows.

and how high barried need to be on openable windows.

Like I said, **** all regulations involved with windows.

Given that anyone with even half a clue buys the
windows when they are replacing them, you can
be completely confident that what you buy complys
with those very minimal regulations, stupid.

And anyone with even half a clue would have chosen
to do what those very minimal regulations require, so
the regulations don't in fact impose a damned thing.

So why not prove me wrong by siting a suitable property.

There are hordes of those where buying a run down dump
and DIYing it makes a hell of a lot more sense than buying
the same thing that someone else had turned it from a run
down dump into a decent modern house.

Most people don't have that option.

Bull****.

How about you site such a property ......

Watch any of those TV series when not completely blotto.