Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default How have the mighty fallen? OT.

I doubt that Cadbury's is entirely to blame for the addition of **** to
their foodstuff no matter how reprehensible we all find their conduct
since January.

Once upon a time all products were -as far as it was possible, produced
to the highest standards. That is how prepackaged foods got a market
place over real foods. Real food, fresh food, required a long wheelbase
from farm to city. Stuff perished and unscrupulous merchants got rid of
it as best they could.

The alternative was to buy tinned and preserved stuff that was produced
by people with great reputations.

I bet the fools responsible for the penny pinching are regretting
things there at the moment. I hope they have to eat their ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bioboffin

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I doubt that Cadbury's is entirely to blame for the addition of ****
to their foodstuff no matter how reprehensible we all find their
conduct since January.

Once upon a time all products were -as far as it was possible,
produced to the highest standards. That is how prepackaged foods got
a market place over real foods. Real food, fresh food, required a
long wheelbase from farm to city. Stuff perished and unscrupulous
merchants got rid of it as best they could.

The alternative was to buy tinned and preserved stuff that was
produced by people with great reputations.

I bet the fools responsible for the penny pinching are regretting
things there at the moment. I hope they have to eat their ****.

It is quite clear from the above, that you have no idea about what goes on
in the food industry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On 24 Jun 2006 14:44:13 -0700 Weatherlawyer wrote :
Once upon a time all products were -as far as it was possible,
produced to the highest standards.

In Victorian times adulterated foodstuffs were far from unknown.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Weatherlawyer wrote:

I doubt that Cadbury's is entirely to blame for the addition of **** to
their foodstuff no matter how reprehensible we all find their conduct
since January.

A couple of pedants seem to have read into the above not what is
written.

This is what it says:
Cadbury's, for some not widely known reason, lost control of the the
hygiene on their production line.

No doubt they were employing some perverse people. Such is life.

Once upon a time all products were -as far as it was possible, produced
to the highest standards. That is how prepackaged foods got a market
place over real foods.

Again the tits failed to reason on the subject, coloured as they are by
their own cleverness.

This is what I wrote:

Once upon a time modern standards did not exist.

Real food, fresh food, required a long wheelbase from farm to city. Stuff perished
and unscrupulous merchants got rid of it as best they could.

As can be reasoned from the above.

The alternative was to buy tinned and preserved stuff that was produced
by people with great reputations.

Victorian standards being what they were the right to expect the best
did not necessarily mean that the customer would not go down with a
poisonous dose of something or other.

Processed food failed on a regular basis. Read any account of early
naval vvoyages and you will find accounts of barrels of salted meat
found wanting and a variety of other problems.

Even in the 1960's when the vogue of crossing oceans single handed
required individual food packaging of an high standard, problems of
packaging occurred. And these things still happen.

I bet the fools responsible for the penny pinching are regretting
things there at the moment.

This means that I believe the people responsibewl for hiding the
problem wish they hadn't.

If you have any conclusions about my writing that is not contained in
my writung, feel free to ask.

If you have conclusions of your own that bear no relationship to
anything that I have written by all meqns add whatever.

If you can't be bothered to read what I said before passing comment;
kindly feck off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I doubt that Cadbury's is entirely to blame for the addition of **** to
their foodstuff no matter how reprehensible we all find their conduct
since January.

Once upon a time all products were -as far as it was possible, produced
to the highest standards. That is how prepackaged foods got a market
place over real foods. Real food, fresh food, required a long wheelbase
from farm to city. Stuff perished and unscrupulous merchants got rid of
it as best they could.

The alternative was to buy tinned and preserved stuff that was produced
by people with great reputations.

I bet the fools responsible for the penny pinching are regretting
things there at the moment. I hope they have to eat their ****.

Once upon a time people accepted that they loved in a world full of bugs
that were out to get them.

Before they built sanitised little boxes full of plastics that gave them
asthma, and peered out in horror at the ugly nasty world outside,
through plastic net curtains, and only ate things full of chemicals that
came in boxes with brightly coloured labels just like the toys they were
brought up on.

Replacing the general thrill of living in a real world with the
synthetic thrill of reading the tabloids and imagining the worst that
could happen to them...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I doubt that Cadbury's is entirely to blame for the addition of **** to
their foodstuff no matter how reprehensible we all find their conduct
since January.

Once upon a time all products were -as far as it was possible, produced
to the highest standards. That is how prepackaged foods got a market
place over real foods. Real food, fresh food, required a long wheelbase
from farm to city. Stuff perished and unscrupulous merchants got rid of
it as best they could.

The alternative was to buy tinned and preserved stuff that was produced
by people with great reputations.

I bet the fools responsible for the penny pinching are regretting
things there at the moment. I hope they have to eat their ****.

Two things which may, or may not, be relevant:

I haven't bought any Cadbury's chocolate for a long time. I found that any
other chocolates that I ate, always tasted better.
It must be all that milk that they put in (rather than cocoa solids).

I used to be very fond of Horlicks light malt drinking chocolate. Then one
day I bought a carton of it which _didn't taste quite so good_. So I phoned
the company, and was instructed to send the item back ( I received a stamped
jiffy bag and a £5.00 voucher).
To come to the point, I find that the product is still the same (inferior);
and that if I add a small amount of pure cocoa per cup, that drink tastes
better. I believe that the manufacter have reduced the cocoa content. It
says 4% on the carton; which is only a small amount, after all. Can you
believe that, or are my taste buds lying to me?

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:09:39 GMT, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I haven't bought any Cadbury's chocolate for a long time. I found that
any other chocolates that I ate, always tasted better. It must be all
that milk that they put in (rather than cocoa solids).

ISTR that the european chocolate makers tried to stop Cadburys calling
their product "chocolate" because it has so little cocoa in it. If a bit
of chocolate, at room temp, only quietly tears rather than a brittle
break with with an audible snap it hasn't got enough cocoa in it.

Current favorite chocolates are Bendicks Bittermints, 95% cocoa solids
chocolate. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On 25 Jun 2006 18:31:38 GMT, Huge wrote:

I like Cadbury's Dairy Milk. Always have.

It's OK in small amounts but I find it rather sickly and clawing after a
couple of bits.

And I find these "chocoloate snob my chocolates got more cocoa solids
in it than yours" chocolates inedible.

Your just not addicted to the cocoa, 'cause you don't get a big enough
kick from CDM. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

On 2006-06-25, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:09:39 GMT, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I haven't bought any Cadbury's chocolate for a long time. I found that
any other chocolates that I ate, always tasted better. It must be all
that milk that they put in (rather than cocoa solids).

ISTR that the european chocolate makers tried to stop Cadburys calling
their product "chocolate" because it has so little cocoa in it. If a bit
of chocolate, at room temp, only quietly tears rather than a brittle
break with with an audible snap it hasn't got enough cocoa in it.

Current favorite chocolates are Bendicks Bittermints, 95% cocoa solids
chocolate. B-)

I like Cadbury's Dairy Milk. Always have. And I find these "chocoloate
snob my chocolates got more cocoa solids in it than yours" chocolates
inedible.

Why not eat cocoa solids with a spoon and have done with it?

I liked Cadbury's chocolate (including Dairy Milk) before/until I tasted
other brands. I preferred the taste of most of the others. Now, I find
their chocolate more expensive than other brands of similar quality and less
good to eat.
Have you tried Lindt chocolate? If yes, and you prefer Cadbury's Dairy Milk
chocolate, then there's something wrong with your taste buds. Lindt milk
chocolate is _delicious_.
BTW, I don't eat a lot of chocolate.

Sylvain.

--
"Other people are not your property."

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:30:47 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

Current favorite chocolates are Bendicks Bittermints, 95% cocoa solids
chocolate. B-)

Made just down the road from me, people who work there tend not to eat the
product. But then again, anyone I have met who has ever worked in a food
factory tends to refuse to eat the product.

Cadbury have however hit a new all time low AFAIC. Having a factory in
which a sewage pipe crosses a food manufacturing line is bad enough to
start with. Letting it leak is worse and then discovering a leak, the
consequences of the leak and doing nothing is absolutely reprehensible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:

Made just down the road from me, people who work there tend not
to eat the product. But then again, anyone I have met who has
ever worked in a food factory tends to refuse to eat the product.

When I was a lad there was a chocolate factory just
across town. On your first day there you were told
that you could eat anything and everything, as much
as you liked. By the end of the first week even just
the smell of chocolate was distasteful.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 03:42:41 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Made just down the road from me, people who work there tend not to eat
the product. But then again, anyone I have met who has ever worked in a
food factory tends to refuse to eat the product.

Same here, makes you wonder doesn't it...

Cadbury have however hit a new all time low AFAIC. Having a factory in
which a sewage pipe crosses a food manufacturing line is bad enough to
start with.

Evidence for that please? "Sewage" implies foul water from a toilet,
rather than waste machine washing water. I've not seen any reference to
"crossing" only running adjacent and splashes from drips reaching the
line. Reported levels of contamination are extremely low as well. Figures
commonly quoted are 0.3 cells/100g, the "alert" level is 10 cells/100g,
with the level required to make you ill around 1,000,000 cells/100g.

I suspect that as the level detected was way below the "alert" level
Cadbury didn't bother to tell the FSA but just quietly found and fixed
the leak. The FSA spotted an increase in the number of cases involving
this rare strain salmonella and started digging. Eventually finding the a
lab that had some +ve results for samples from Cadbury. As they hadn't
been told (no need, level so low...) the FSA then go "overboard" telling
Cadbury to remove all products from the market place that might
conceivably be contaminated, even though Cadbury have reported that only
about 5,000 bars have any significant risk. The rest is pure media hype.

The question that should be asked, as there has been a rise in the number
of cases, is: Is the general testing for and reporting of salmonella
strict enough?

Personally we have a box of 60 Freddo Bars bought about a month ago. Many
of which have been eaten with no ill effects what so ever. We aren't
going to return 'em.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:50:10 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:
[snip]

Evidence for that please? "Sewage" implies foul water from a toilet,
rather than waste machine washing water.

Sewage implies foul water heading for the sewers from any source. Cadbury
are being disingenuous (to the point of being lying *******s) simply
referring to "a pipe". However to get the levels of contamination referred
to from drips of water there must have been a high level of faecal material
in the source. Remember salmonella spp will form a tiny part of the
bacterial load of sewage and salmonella is sensitive to detergents and
temperature and hence much less likely to have come from hand washing or
machine washing waste water.

I've not seen any reference to
"crossing" only running adjacent and splashes from drips reaching the
line.

sigh

You can get picky about whether the pipe crossed a production line at right
angles or ran parallel to it, but the fact is that for water to drop
vertically from a pipe the pipe must be above the production line.

Reported levels of contamination are extremely low as well. Figures
commonly quoted are 0.3 cells/100g, the "alert" level is 10 cells/100g,
with the level required to make you ill around 1,000,000 cells/100g.

Only a ****wit would regard contamination by salmonella as low or
insignificant.

I suspect that as the level detected was way below the "alert" level
Cadbury didn't bother to tell the FSA but just quietly found and fixed
the leak.

Yup, there's no doubt that they covered up. And that some marketing bod
made the decision that a few million contaminated bars of chocolate
wouldn't hurt Cadbury's image too much. It only came to light when an
independent laboratory blew the whistle.

The FSA spotted an increase in the number of cases involving
this rare strain salmonella and started digging. Eventually finding the a
lab that had some +ve results for samples from Cadbury. As they hadn't
been told (no need, level so low...)

Untrue, the lab volunteered the information to the FSA, Cadbury did not.

the FSA then go "overboard" telling
Cadbury to remove all products from the market place that might
conceivably be contaminated, even though Cadbury have reported that only
about 5,000 bars have any significant risk. The rest is pure media hype.

The question that should be asked, as there has been a rise in the number
of cases, is: Is the general testing for and reporting of salmonella
strict enough?

The question is, what sort of disgusting ******* discovers salmonella and
evidence of sewage contamination in a foodstuff and puts commerce ahead of
common sense? We've not seen, and we should by now have seen the figures
for faecal coliforms in this chocolate.

Personally we have a box of 60 Freddo Bars bought about a month ago. Many
of which have been eaten with no ill effects what so ever. We aren't
going to return 'em.

I can only hope that you like eating ****, and have eaten sufficient in the
past that you don't have reason to fear either salmonella or coliforms.

It's amusing to see that you and others have swallowed (literally in your
case) Cadbury's **** and are happy to accept these repetitions of the term
"insignificant". FSA have acted correctly IMO, and Cadburys bull**** about
increasing number of infections being the trigger rather than the fact that
they knowingly sold contaminated food rather than lose some money, remains
simply bull****. I heard their spokesdroid on R4 this weekend and it was a
masterpiece of spin designed to confuse the issue as much as possible.

They should be forced to come clean (ha!) and state openly that they sold
****-contaminated chocolate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Tony Bryer wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote :
Once upon a time all products were -as far as it was possible,
produced to the highest standards.

In Victorian times adulterated foodstuffs were far from unknown.

"How are the mighty fallen", shirley?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Liquorice wrote:
ISTR that the european chocolate makers tried to stop Cadburys calling
their product "chocolate" because it has so little cocoa in it.

It was protectionism. They were worried that the Cadbury (and other)
brands would have a very severe impact on their sales.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tournifreak

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I doubt that Cadbury's is entirely to blame for the addition of **** to
their foodstuff no matter how reprehensible we all find their conduct
since January.

I once had a lecturer at Uni who did consultancy work for Cadbury
(~10yrs agoi). He claimed that the hygene standards at their factory
were pretty poor and that they didn't care too much. He claimed that
they believed there was little risk because the fat and sugar content
of the chocolate was so high that nothing could "breed" in the
chocolate anyway. I'm not sure about the science behind that, but it's
interesting considering recent events.

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...

Current favorite chocolates are Bendicks Bittermints, 95% cocoa solids
chocolate. B-)

Yes, but I wish they wouldn't put the minty stuff in it, it contaminates the
chocolate.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Huge" wrote in message

Why not eat cocoa solids with a spoon and have done with it?

Where can you buy it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Steve Firth's verbal basting reproduced in its entirety due to my
agreeing with every word and some:
[...]

What blows me away is where he thought the contaminant that
contaminated the water that contaminated the chocolate was coming from.

I would expect that water used to wash machines used in the production
of food to become contaminated with food -not it's end product.

There may or may not be a case for believing what Cadbury says. It is
an odd coincidence about the blip in cases of food poisoning though.
And a bloody daft idea letting any -even the tiniest amount, get the go
by.

I suspect the lax mid level management failed to do the decent thing
and report the problem to someone with the clout to call an halt on the
line. I also suspect it wasn't a drop of fluid from any such plumbing.
I'll bet good money it was sabotage.

You'd expect a government run establishment like a nuclear reactor or
some such to line the coast with plutonium as happened in Dounray for
decades until Greenpeace poked their oar in. (Well not exactly
UNTIL.... rather several years later -if ever)

But this sort of corruption is endemic these days. British Airways have
been up to all sorts of dirty tricks apparently, FIFA and almost every
governing body of one sort or another are rank with corruption. It's
not good enough that these agencies are not corrupt. They must be seen
to be not corrupt.

I'd not touch any suspect chocolate no matter what reassurances were
offered. Ta very much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Tournifreak wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
I doubt that Cadbury's is entirely to blame for the addition of **** to
their foodstuff no matter how reprehensible we all find their conduct
since January.

I once had a lecturer at Uni who did consultancy work for Cadbury
(~10yrs agoi). He claimed that the hygene standards at their factory
were pretty poor and that they didn't care too much. He claimed that
they believed there was little risk because the fat and sugar content
of the chocolate was so high that nothing could "breed" in the
chocolate anyway. I'm not sure about the science behind that, but it's
interesting considering recent events.

Yet if you look closely at a wrapper, you will never see a blemish in
the printing. Not a smidgeon. All fur coat and no knickers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Mary Fisher" typed

"Huge" wrote in message

Why not eat cocoa solids with a spoon and have done with it?

Where can you buy it?

Wot, cocoa powder? I trust you have your sources.

It's not very palatable thobut...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On 26 Jun 2006 21:07:18 -0700, Weatherlawyer wrote:

You'd expect a government run establishment like a nuclear reactor or
some such to line the coast with plutonium as happened in Dounray for
decades until Greenpeace poked their oar in. (Well not exactly
UNTIL.... rather several years later -if ever)

You've not heard about the leak at the THORP plant then... As leaks go
the Cadbury one is really doesn't register on the scale.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4559771.stm

I'd not touch any suspect chocolate no matter what reassurances were
offered. Ta very much.

Looking at our box of Freddo bars it has a 12 2006 BBE date so may well
predate the leak. As I said several members of our family have eaten bars
from that box with not a hint of any illness. Returning it is just a
waste of resources.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

"Huge" wrote in message

Why not eat cocoa solids with a spoon and have done with it?

Where can you buy it?

Wot, cocoa powder? I trust you have your sources.

Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

I've occasionally had chocolates (rather special ones) which have nibs of
pure cocoa in them, they're a joy. But you can't buy the chocolates by
themselves and I'd have to get through a whole box of (admittedly delicious)
others just for the two very special ones :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Mary Fisher" typed

Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

So what *is* it? Educate me please!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:32:29 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

So what *is* it? Educate me please!

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa. The proportions vary
depending on method of making the drink or intended use. Cocoa powder
intended for cooking (cakes, etc) won't have as much dried milk as one
intended for a drink.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

So what *is* it? Educate me please!

No idea!

Mary

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On 26 Jun 2006 21:07:18 -0700, Weatherlawyer wrote:

You'd expect a government run establishment like a nuclear reactor or
some such to line the coast with plutonium as happened in Dounray for
decades until Greenpeace poked their oar in. (Well not exactly
UNTIL.... rather several years later -if ever)

You've not heard about the leak at the THORP plant then... As leaks go
the Cadbury one is really doesn't register on the scale.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4559771.stm

Nah, no problem there, I can't see salmonella surviving long in that

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:49:27 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa.

You appear to be mistaking "drinking chocolate" for cocoa powder. Cocoa
powder is de-fatted solids of cocoa, because the cocoa is acid it may be
neutralised with alkali which some think improves the flavour. This is
typical of Dutch cocoa powder such as Van Houtens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:55:03 +0100, Steve Firth
wrote:

|On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:49:27 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:
|
| "Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
| mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa.
|
|You appear to be mistaking "drinking chocolate" for cocoa powder. Cocoa
|powder is de-fatted solids of cocoa, because the cocoa is acid it may be
|neutralised with alkali which some think improves the flavour. This is
|typical of Dutch cocoa powder such as Van Houtens.

Also Sainsbries which I found in our cupboard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:55:03 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:49:27 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa.

You appear to be mistaking "drinking chocolate" for cocoa powder.

You really are a jerk aren't you. Read the qualifications that I put in
there FFS.

plonk

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
Chris Bacon

Default Cocoa [How have the mighty fallen? OT.]

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Someone else wrote, but the attributions were munged *YET AGAIN*:
Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

So what *is* it? Educate me please!

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa. The proportions vary
depending on method of making the drink or intended use. Cocoa powder
intended for cooking (cakes, etc) won't have as much dried milk as one
intended for a drink.

Rubbish. I have two containers of cocoa in the cupboard. One
contains "100% cocoa powder", the other ditto, but "organic".
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
EastneyEnder

Chris Bacon wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Someone else wrote, but the attributions were munged *YET AGAIN*:
Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

So what *is* it? Educate me please!

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa. The proportions vary
depending on method of making the drink or intended use. Cocoa powder
intended for cooking (cakes, etc) won't have as much dried milk as one
intended for a drink.

Rubbish. I have two containers of cocoa in the cupboard. One
contains "100% cocoa powder", the other ditto, but "organic".

Cocoa powder is and always has been pure cocoa, as in "Bournville" etc.
Are you buying Drinking Chocolate instead of cocoa powder? That's meant for
drinks..... pure Cocoa is just cocoa, and nothing more; you can make a drink
out of it by adding milk & sugar, but it's the thing you buy if you are
wanting for cooking and baking.... Unless you are lucky enough to live near
a south american food store where you might get chunks of pure mexican cocoa
(intended for drinks, ironically, but much more the real thing).

--
Sue
Pendragon Hamstery

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa.

You appear to be mistaking "drinking chocolate" for cocoa powder.

You really are a jerk aren't you. Read the qualifications that I put in
there FFS.

Nope, I reckon Steve's right. Proper cocoa powder shouldn't have any
dried milk or anything else in it. That's drinking chocolate.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
Chris Bacon

EastneyEnder wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Someone else wrote, but the attributions were munged *YET AGAIN*:

Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

So what *is* it? Educate me please!

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa. The proportions vary
depending on method of making the drink or intended use. Cocoa powder
intended for cooking (cakes, etc) won't have as much dried milk as one
intended for a drink.

Rubbish. I have two containers of cocoa in the cupboard. One
contains "100% cocoa powder", the other ditto, but "organic".

Cocoa powder is and always has been pure cocoa, as in "Bournville" etc.

....or Green & Blacks, etc. Frightful price, though, but good
on Nov. 5th. and other occasions (as a drink).

Are you buying Drinking Chocolate instead of cocoa powder? That's meant for
drinks.....

That's Mr. Liquorice....

pure Cocoa is just cocoa, and nothing more; you can make a drink
out of it by adding milk & sugar, but it's the thing you buy if you are
wanting for cooking and baking.... Unless you are lucky enough to live near
a south american food store where you might get chunks of pure mexican cocoa
(intended for drinks, ironically, but much more the real thing).

I have some 1Kg blocks, but from a different source.. I wonder
how long it keeps!

Interestingly enough, beans taken from a ripe freshly-cut cocoa
pod taste nothing *like* chocolate, cocoa, or anything, really.
Very bland indeed, and unpalatable.

What's that chocolate (bar) that has little pieces of cocoa in
it? On sale in Tesco, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:32:29 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

So what *is* it? Educate me please!

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa. The proportions vary
depending on method of making the drink or intended use. Cocoa powder
intended for cooking (cakes, etc) won't have as much dried milk as one
intended for a drink.

Cocoa solids have cocoa fats in them

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Guy King wrote:
I reckon Steve's right. Proper cocoa powder shouldn't have any
dried milk or anything else in it. That's drinking chocolate.

Even Cadbury's Cocoa is 100% cocoa, not even a little *bit*
of shi^H^H^Hanything else in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:25:35 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:55:03 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:49:27 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa.

You appear to be mistaking "drinking chocolate" for cocoa powder.

You really are a jerk aren't you. Read the qualifications that I put in
there FFS.

I read them, you were wrong, as others have posted.

plonk

You don't handle being wrong very well do you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
Steve Firth

On 28 Jun 2006 00:10:39 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:

Are you buying Drinking Chocolate instead of cocoa powder? That's meant for
drinks.....

That's Mr. Liquorice....

Oooohhh he'll be plonking you next.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Dave Liquorice" typed

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:32:29 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

So what *is* it? Educate me please!

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa. The proportions vary
depending on method of making the drink or intended use. Cocoa powder
intended for cooking (cakes, etc) won't have as much dried milk as one
intended for a drink.

Cocoa powder (*not* hot chocolate) has no milk or sugar in it.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:32:25 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" typed

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:32:29 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Cocoa powder isn't cocoa solids though.

So what *is* it? Educate me please!

"Cocoa powder" as bought in the shops to make chocolate drinks is a
mixture of dried milk, sugar and a bit of cocoa. The proportions vary
depending on method of making the drink or intended use. Cocoa powder
intended for cooking (cakes, etc) won't have as much dried milk as one
intended for a drink.

Cocoa powder (*not* hot chocolate) has no milk or sugar in it.

Right, you're in for a good plonking you are.