Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Default Cocoa [How have the mighty fallen? OT.]

wrote in message ...
On 14 Jul,
June Hughes wrote:

Sis used to love beetroot sandwiches. However, that has not 'taken off'
anywhere

What's wrong with them. I /like/ beetroot sandwiches, either on its own or
with cheese.

Me too. I didn't know they were unusual.

Mary

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
On 14 Jul,
June Hughes wrote:

Sis used to love beetroot sandwiches. However, that has not 'taken off'
anywhere

What's wrong with them. I /like/ beetroot sandwiches, either on its own
or
with cheese.

Me too. I didn't know they were unusual.

As I detest beetroot, the thought of them in sandwiches
............................yuck!
Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

How do you make chocolate sandwiches?

Take a slice of good white bread and butter it. Lay a slab of chocolate
on
it. Cover it with an inverted slice of buttered bread.

French kids snap a row of blocks off a bar of chocolate and poke it into
a baguette.

Why do they bother with the bread?

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
S Viemeister typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I have childhood memories of wafer-thin slices of plain chocolate we
had
on trips to our Copenhagen grandparents, and of chocolate vermicelli
(made of decent chocolate) we sprikled on Matzo at Passover.

I first encountered chocolate vermicelli on buttered bread nearly 40
years ago, in Amsterdam. That, and coffee, was the breakfast provided
in the hostel I was staying in.

Sheila

My 'childhood memories' would date back to around 1966 too.

It was probably my Flemish/British grandmother who introduced me to
chocolate vemicelli on buttered bread...

I've put on half a stone just reading these posts :-(

You have a long way to go to catch up with me!

Alan

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:03:51 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote
(in article ):

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

How do you make chocolate sandwiches?

Take a slice of good white bread and butter it. Lay a slab of chocolate
on
it. Cover it with an inverted slice of buttered bread.

French kids snap a row of blocks off a bar of chocolate and poke it into
a baguette.

Why do they bother with the bread?

Alan

How else could they dip it in their coffee?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

French kids snap a row of blocks off a bar of chocolate and poke it into
a baguette.

Why do they bother with the bread?

Stops it melting all over your hands. On the beach you take the bar of
chocolate out of the coolbag, snap a bit of and shove it into the bread.
You can now eat it at a reasonable pace without it melting all over your
fingers.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 549251 20060715 094624 June Hughes wrote:
In message . com,
Umbrian writes

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

And sixty years ago my godfather introduced me to plain chocolate
sandwiches, which I loved. In later years I discovered that it was
frightfully fashionable when it was called pain au chocolat (touching on the
topic).

Sis used to love beetroot sandwiches. However, that has not 'taken off'
anywhere
--
June Hughes

I think you have to be an Elvis Presley to get something like that
going. He loved banana and bacon sandwiches. Look how he ended.

Actually, banana and bacon butties sound quite tasty.

Try mashing a couple of bananas then mixing in half a tin of condensed milk.
Spread thickly on bread.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Alan Holmes" typed

Why do they bother with the bread?

To 'stretch' the chocolate, like a pie crust may stretch meat.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:10:09 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

"Alan Holmes" typed

Why do they bother with the bread?

To 'stretch' the chocolate, like a pie crust may stretch meat.

I think you'll find a pair of Parker retractors will do a better job of
stretching meat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

The message
from Steve Firth contains these words:

I think you'll find a pair of Parker retractors will do a better job of
stretching meat.

I'd never have thought of using a couple of ballpens to do that with.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote in message

Try mashing a couple of bananas then mixing in half a tin of condensed
milk.
Spread thickly on bread.

Excuse me, I feel si ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I can't stand tea, but a sugar sandwich goes down very nicely.

Oooh.....good call. Its been a right while since I've had one of
those!

Demerara is extra crunchy!
While we're back in the nursery, have you tried strawberry jam on
mashed
potatoes?

No, but some parts of Lancashire put sugar on tomatoes.

Not just Lancashire.

Marmalade goes well with kippers.

And sixty years ago my godfather introduced me to plain chocolate
sandwiches, which I loved. In later years I discovered that it was
frightfully fashionable when it was called pain au chocolat (touching on
the
topic).

Sis used to love beetroot sandwiches. However, that has not 'taken off'
anywhere

So do I, but often the beetroot doesn't get as far as the bread and butter!

But it HAS to be pickled!

Alan

--
June Hughes

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

French kids snap a row of blocks off a bar of chocolate and poke it
into
a baguette.

Why do they bother with the bread?

Stops it melting all over your hands. On the beach you take the bar of
chocolate out of the coolbag, snap a bit of and shove it into the bread.
You can now eat it at a reasonable pace without it melting all over your
fingers.

Who on earth holds chocolate in their fingers long enough for it to melt,
mine goes straight into my mouth!

Alan

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:21:36 +0100, Guy King wrote:

The message
from Steve Firth contains these words:

I think you'll find a pair of Parker retractors will do a better job of
stretching meat.

I'd never have thought of using a couple of ballpens to do that with.

Make sure you use the chrome plated ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 02:27:42 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

My 'childhood memories' would date back to around 1966 too.

It was probably my Flemish/British grandmother who introduced me to
chocolate vemicelli on buttered bread...

Did she introduce the other bread sprinkles (maybe more Dutch than
Flemish) such as Gestampte Muisjes (Stamped on little mice),

A confection made to resemble mouse feaces !

And Rose en Witte Muisjes

Ditto but coloured pink and white, specially for christenings !

Both flavoured with aniseed.

http://www.typicaldutchstuff.com/breadspreads1.shtml

One your Gran might not have known about was Hopjesvla. A mousse type
pudding with a curiously familiar flavour you can't quite identify.

http://www.hollandtoys.com/images/haagschehopjes03.jpg

Turns out Hopjes is a haunting coffee/caramel candy (boiled sweet) .
The flavour of which was used a lot to flavour ice lollies in the UK
in the '60s when I was at school. None of us knew what it was or was
supposed to be that we were eating..

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Derek ^ typed

Did she introduce the other bread sprinkles (maybe more Dutch than
Flemish) such as Gestampte Muisjes (Stamped on little mice),

No.

One your Gran might not have known about was Hopjesvla. A mousse type
pudding with a curiously familiar flavour you can't quite identify.

http://www.hollandtoys.com/images/haagschehopjes03.jpg

Turns out Hopjes is a haunting coffee/caramel candy (boiled sweet) .
The flavour of which was used a lot to flavour ice lollies in the UK
in the '60s when I was at school. None of us knew what it was or was
supposed to be that we were eating..

I had (Raadmakkers sp) Hopjes as sweets, which I loved...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Sis used to love beetroot sandwiches. However, that has not 'taken off'
anywhere

So do I, but often the beetroot doesn't get as far as the bread and
butter!

But it HAS to be pickled!

For sandwiches, yes. But not for anything else.

The vinegar of pickled beetrot is delicious! I used to sneakily drink some,
my mother found out and told me it would dry my blood. It hasn't yet.

Mary

Alan

--
June Hughes

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

French kids snap a row of blocks off a bar of chocolate and poke it
into
a baguette.

Why do they bother with the bread?

Stops it melting all over your hands. On the beach you take the bar of
chocolate out of the coolbag, snap a bit of and shove it into the bread.
You can now eat it at a reasonable pace without it melting all over your
fingers.

Who on earth holds chocolate in their fingers long enough for it to melt,
mine goes straight into my mouth!

Without unwrapping it?

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest
trace!

Mary

Alan

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Owain" wrote in message
Steve Firth wrote:
I think you'll find a pair of Parker retractors will do a better job of
stretching meat.
I'd never have thought of using a couple of ballpens to do that with.

Make sure you use the chrome plated ones.

Wouldn't the chrome plating flake off?

Owain

I'd never heard of retractors until recently when a surgeon asked Spouse to
make a pair. I was horrified! It takes a lot to make me squirm but those
vicious things - I suppose they must have been used on me :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Alan Holmes wrote:

My Cadburys cocoa says that as well!

There it is!
We now have the proof that Cadbury's *can* get their hands on decent
cocoa, it's afterwards in the production process that things get
horribly wrong!

Greg

--

Why couldn't you just say "Drink, it's a Merlot"?

No ficus = no spam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mary Fisher" typed

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

Mary

I am considerably younger and still have a few amalgam fillings. I've
had no new ones for the last decade thobut.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

So do I.
--
June Hughes
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:07:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this material
at least 20 years ago and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Andy Hall typed

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the
tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this material
at least 20 years ago and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

My partner's previous dentist used them within the past 5 years. They
have since come to bits,

I have some older amalgams, put in with the time and care you get with
good private dentistry.

Partner had an old shoddy NHS dentist.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:07:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this
material
at least 20 years ago

No they didn't.

and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

No they don't.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Andy Hall typed

I have some older amalgams, put in with the time and care you get with
good private dentistry.

Yes, mine were done at the Dental Hospital, only the finest and most up to
date materials and techniques used there.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:40:18 +0100, Owain wrote
(in article ):

Andy Hall wrote:
You still have some amalgam fillings?
I'm very old :-(

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this material
at least 20 years ago and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

Private dentists may have stopped using amalgam but for us poor people
on the Notional Health Service there's no choice unless the filling is
on a front tooth or there is some reason why amalgam cannot be used. The
NHS will not use non-amalgam for appearance's sake.

Hmm.... I suspect that this is a time thing (and implied cost) rather than a
material cost thing

I've got a glass ionomer cement filling and although it's nice that it
is toothier coloured it feels rougher than the amalgam fillings.

Shouldn't do. Didn't he carefully shape and grind it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:35:35 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:07:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this
material
at least 20 years ago

No they didn't.

Well.... that's what my dentist said. Nobody in the practice has for that
time, nor anybody that he knows.

and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

No they don't.

Less?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:07:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this
material
at least 20 years ago

No they didn't.

and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

No they don't.

Mary

My dentist has replaced a couple of my fillings in the last 3-4 years and
wants to do another now. They were/are around 40 years old!
Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mary Fisher" typed

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Andy Hall typed

I have some older amalgams, put in with the time and care you get with
good private dentistry.

Yes, mine were done at the Dental Hospital, only the finest and most up to
date materials and techniques used there.

Most of my souvenirs from Leeds Dental Hospital are no more, though I
think I have a few.

I've had them 20 years...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Andy Hall typed

and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

No they don't.

Less?

Like all jobs, attention to preparation, execution and finish *vastly*
influence life of the final product. A well-done amalgam, burnished a
few days after completion, in a favourable mouth may last several
decades. A crap job comes to bits in a couple of years.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

You still have some amalgam fillings?

Amalagam's still being used, isn't it?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

No they don't.

I've got some that have lasted at least that long.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Andy Hall typed

I have some older amalgams, put in with the time and care you get with
good private dentistry.

Yes, mine were done at the Dental Hospital, only the finest and most up
date materials and techniques used there.

Most of my souvenirs from Leeds Dental Hospital are no more, though I
think I have a few.

I've had them 20 years...

Many of mine are older than that.

Mary

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mary Fisher" typed

Many of mine are older than that.

I was only in Leeds between 1/2/85 - 18/2/86.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Andy Hall
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this material
at least 20 years ago and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

You may or may not be surprised to read that I have amalgum fillings
from 1969, put in by our dentist Mr Holdsworth, who practiced in Old
Harlow, Essex. My current dentist didn't see the need to replace them.
He has now retired, so I shall see what his successor has to say.
--
June Hughes
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Andy Hall
writes

Andy Hall wrote:
You still have some amalgam fillings?
I'm very old :-(
I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this material
at least 20 years ago and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

Private dentists may have stopped using amalgam but for us poor people
on the Notional Health Service there's no choice unless the filling is
on a front tooth or there is some reason why amalgam cannot be used. The
NHS will not use non-amalgam for appearance's sake.

Hmm.... I suspect that this is a time thing (and implied cost) rather than a
material cost thing

I've got a glass ionomer cement filling and although it's nice that it
is toothier coloured it feels rougher than the amalgam fillings.

Shouldn't do. Didn't he carefully shape and grind it?

Are you a dentist, Andy?
--
June Hughes