Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Default Cocoa [How have the mighty fallen? OT.]

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the
tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

We should compare 'old'!

Alan

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Owain" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Private dentists may have stopped using amalgam but for us poor people on
the Notional Health Service there's no choice ...

Hmm.... I suspect that this is a time thing (and implied cost) rather
than a material cost thing

Preparation time is the main indicator of a long-term successful filling,
and something that NHS dentists don't have the luxury of.

I've got a glass ionomer cement filling and although it's nice that it is
toothier coloured it feels rougher than the amalgam fillings.

Shouldn't do. Didn't he carefully shape and grind it?

Are you suggesting that squidging into place like thermal compound on a
heatsink and smearing it round with a spatula wasn't sufficient?

I hate my teeth and would willingly have the whole lot pulled but I can't
afford dentures.

Do not even consider it, even when yu can afford dentures.

I've recently lost a nuber of teeth and I miss them, every time I see
someone with proper teeth it makes me wish I still had all of mine.

How the hell did teeth get into cocoa?

Alan

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Sis used to love beetroot sandwiches. However, that has not 'taken off'
anywhere

So do I, but often the beetroot doesn't get as far as the bread and
butter!

But it HAS to be pickled!

For sandwiches, yes. But not for anything else.

The vinegar of pickled beetrot is delicious! I used to sneakily drink
some, my mother found out and told me it would dry my blood. It hasn't
yet.

I always drink whatever vinegar is left when the pickled beetroot has gone!

Alan

Mary

Alan

--
June Hughes

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:13:48 +0100, June Hughes wrote
(in article ):

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:07:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this material
at least 20 years ago and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

You may or may not be surprised to read that I have amalgum fillings
from 1969, put in by our dentist Mr Holdsworth, who practiced in Old
Harlow, Essex.

Hopefully he's getting it right now,.

My current dentist didn't see the need to replace them.
He has now retired, so I shall see what his successor has to say.

That will probably depend on the NHS budget.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:14:22 +0100, June Hughes wrote
(in article ):

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:40:18 +0100, Owain wrote
(in article ):

Andy Hall wrote:
You still have some amalgam fillings?
I'm very old :-(
I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this
material
at least 20 years ago and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

Private dentists may have stopped using amalgam but for us poor people
on the Notional Health Service there's no choice unless the filling is
on a front tooth or there is some reason why amalgam cannot be used. The
NHS will not use non-amalgam for appearance's sake.

Hmm.... I suspect that this is a time thing (and implied cost) rather than
material cost thing

I've got a glass ionomer cement filling and although it's nice that it
is toothier coloured it feels rougher than the amalgam fillings.

Shouldn't do. Didn't he carefully shape and grind it?

Are you a dentist, Andy?

Are you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Quoting from message
posted on 16 Jul 2006 by Alan Holmes
I would like to add:

"Owain" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Private dentists may have stopped using amalgam but for us poor people on
the Notional Health Service there's no choice ...
Hmm.... I suspect that this is a time thing (and implied cost) rather
than a material cost thing

Preparation time is the main indicator of a long-term successful filling,
and something that NHS dentists don't have the luxury of.

I've got a glass ionomer cement filling and although it's nice that it is
toothier coloured it feels rougher than the amalgam fillings.
Shouldn't do. Didn't he carefully shape and grind it?

Are you suggesting that squidging into place like thermal compound on a
heatsink and smearing it round with a spatula wasn't sufficient?

I hate my teeth and would willingly have the whole lot pulled but I can't
afford dentures.

Do not even consider it, even when yu can afford dentures.

I wanted all my teeth out about 40 years ago - my GP (who was
anaesthetist for visiting dentist) thought it was a good idea but the
dentist didn't.

Since then bits of already filled tooth have broken off; various
dentists have drilled and refilled whichever tooth was affected; more
bits have broken off so dentist has drilled and filled ad infinitum to
the extent that I was fed up and stopped going to the dentist - at
some point a dentist is going to *have* to remove my teeth!

--
..ElaineJ. Home Pages and FAQ of uk.food+drink.indian can be viewed at
..Kinetic. http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/ufdi/index.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Elaine Jones
writes
Are you suggesting that squidging into place like thermal compound on a
heatsink and smearing it round with a spatula wasn't sufficient?

I hate my teeth and would willingly have the whole lot pulled but I can't
afford dentures.

Do not even consider it, even when yu can afford dentures.

I wanted all my teeth out about 40 years ago - my GP (who was
anaesthetist for visiting dentist) thought it was a good idea but the
dentist didn't.

Since then bits of already filled tooth have broken off; various
dentists have drilled and refilled whichever tooth was affected; more
bits have broken off so dentist has drilled and filled ad infinitum to
the extent that I was fed up and stopped going to the dentist - at
some point a dentist is going to *have* to remove my teeth!

DIY - you know it makes sense

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:35:18 +0100, Elaine Jones wrote
(in article ):

"Owain" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

That's what happens when you rely on the government to decide what goes in
your mouth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:56:55 +0100, raden wrote
(in article ):

In message , Elaine Jones
writes
Are you suggesting that squidging into place like thermal compound on a
heatsink and smearing it round with a spatula wasn't sufficient?

I hate my teeth and would willingly have the whole lot pulled but I can't
afford dentures.

Do not even consider it, even when yu can afford dentures.

I wanted all my teeth out about 40 years ago - my GP (who was
anaesthetist for visiting dentist) thought it was a good idea but the
dentist didn't.

Since then bits of already filled tooth have broken off; various
dentists have drilled and refilled whichever tooth was affected; more
bits have broken off so dentist has drilled and filled ad infinitum to
the extent that I was fed up and stopped going to the dentist - at
some point a dentist is going to *have* to remove my teeth!

DIY - you know it makes sense

SDS - with Rotostop.

The whole thing would be over so quickly that anaesthetic wouldn't be needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Andy Hall
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest
trace!

Mary

You still have some amalgam fillings?

I'm very old :-(

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this material
at least 20 years ago and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

You may or may not be surprised to read that I have amalgum fillings
from 1969, put in by our dentist Mr Holdsworth, who practiced in Old
Harlow, Essex.

Hopefully he's getting it right now,.

My current dentist didn't see the need to replace them.
He has now retired, so I shall see what his successor has to say.

That will probably depend on the NHS budget.

No such luck! He's private.
--
June Hughes
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

The message
from raden contains these words:

dentistry
DIY - you know it makes sense

I broke a bit off the edge of a tooth a few years ago. Was several days
before I could get it seen to because of bank holidays and things, so I
dremeled the sharp edge off to stop it rubbing my cheek excruciatingly.
The dentist reckoned I'd done exactly what he'd have done. Only the
tiniest shaving, just to remove the razor edge.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from raden contains these words:

dentistry
DIY - you know it makes sense

I broke a bit off the edge of a tooth a few years ago. Was several days
before I could get it seen to because of bank holidays and things, so I
dremeled the sharp edge off to stop it rubbing my cheek excruciatingly.
The dentist reckoned I'd done exactly what he'd have done. Only the
tiniest shaving, just to remove the razor edge.

IME that happens naturally within a few days of the break.
--
June Hughes
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from raden contains these words:

dentistry
DIY - you know it makes sense

I broke a bit off the edge of a tooth a few years ago. Was several days
before I could get it seen to because of bank holidays and things, so I
dremeled the sharp edge off to stop it rubbing my cheek excruciatingly.
The dentist reckoned I'd done exactly what he'd have done. Only the
tiniest shaving, just to remove the razor edge.

I've done that too. I also filed down one of my front incisors because it
was much longer than my others - I was 11 at the time. That's the only tooth
which has never had anything else done to it so it obviously didn't damage
it.

I also once stuck a bit of broken tooth back on with super glue, it lasted
quite a time.

Now one of my teeth is loose and painful so I'm trying to have the guts to
ring the dentist :-(

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Are you a dentist, Andy?

:-)

Mary
--
June Hughes

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

Many of mine are older than that.

I was only in Leeds between 1/2/85 - 18/2/86.

I've been here since before the war ... never found a reason to leave.
Idleness, some might call it ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I'm very old :-(

We should compare 'old'!

Indeed. I feel less old this morning.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to June Hughes

Sis used to love beetroot sandwiches. However, that has not 'taken off'
anywhere

I have beetroot and lamb sausage sarnies.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to Alan Holmes

But it HAS to be pickled!

not for me, it has to be NOT pickled
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to Owain

I hate my teeth and would willingly have the whole lot pulled but I
can't afford dentures.

that would be very foolish, don't do it.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to Bondee

Not quite the same, but I seem to remember Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
making strawberry sandwiches sprinkled with black pepper.

strawberries and black pepper are nice with steak.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" typed

Idleness, some might call it ...

Is that part of West Yorkshire ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

Idleness, some might call it ...

Is that part of West Yorkshire ;-)

Idle is part of Bradford.

Bradford is in what's now known by The Authorities as West Yorkshire.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:14:00 +0100, The Reid
had this to say:

Following up to Alan Holmes

But it HAS to be pickled!

not for me, it has to be NOT pickled

Cocoa?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to Frank Erskine

But it HAS to be pickled!

not for me, it has to be NOT pickled

Cocoa?

do you like picked cocoa?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Guy King" wrote in message
[...]

Ouch! My grandad was a professional singer and amongst other more
lah-de-dah places, he used to sing in the clubs in Lancashire and
Yorkshire. His business card described him as a 'versatile bass
baritone', which indeed he was. One night, he got in a bit of a fight
and someone knocked out one of his front teeth. Next morning, finding
that his singing was effected by the gap, he chopped the end off a bone
toothbrush, filed it to shape and rammed it between the adjacent two
front teeth. It was still there when he died.
--
June Hughes
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Now one of my teeth is loose and painful so I'm trying to have the guts to
ring the dentist :-(

Ouch! My grandad was a professional singer and amongst other more
lah-de-dah places, he used to sing in the clubs in Lancashire and
Yorkshire. His business card described him as a 'versatile bass baritone',
which indeed he was. One night, he got in a bit of a fight and someone
knocked out one of his front teeth. Next morning, finding that his
singing was effected by the gap, he chopped the end off a bone toothbrush,
filed it to shape and rammed it between the adjacent two front teeth. It
was still there when he died.

LOL! Implants? There's no new thing under the sun!

The Romans did it and probably earlier civilisations too - but perhaps not
as successfully!

Mary
whose dentist's phone is permanently 'engaged'. I think I'm going to have to
go in person and jump up and down - but that will hurt the tooth :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:42:12 +0100, The Reid
had this to say:

Following up to Frank Erskine

But it HAS to be pickled!

not for me, it has to be NOT pickled

Cocoa?

do you like picked cocoa?

I don't like _anything_ pickled, but I was referring to the title of
the thread.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 07:50:58 +0100, June Hughes wrote
(in article ):

In message , Andy Hall
writes

Which purpose? AIUI, there are two major negative issues with them.

- Mercury content. Do you voluntarily want toxic heavy metal compounds
introduced into your body for no good reason?

- Mechanical fit. Modern filling materials bond to the tooth. Amalgam
does not. This means that the drilled cavity has to be shaped with an
undercut angle in order that the filling stays in. It means that more
undecayed tooth material has to be removed than would otherwise be
necessary.

How come you know so much about all this? (I did ask if you were a
dentist in another thread but you came back with the reply 'are you?'

Simple.

Because the NHS is totally and utterly worthless, I buy almost all of my
medical care (except primary doctor) and all of my dental care privately
either through insurance or out of pocket.

This is an expensive activity obviously.

Secondly, I also firmly believe that I am in the driving seat as far as
decision and choice of treatments are concerned and the doctor/dentist is a
professional adviser, not ultimate decision maker. In order to make informed
decisions, I take a lot of trouble to research any medical condition and any
treatment before agreeing to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to Frank Erskine

do you like picked cocoa?

I don't like _anything_ pickled, but I was referring to the title of
the thread.

cant say I'm keen, but on fdm we tend to drift around from food
to food.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to Andy Hall

Because the NHS is totally and utterly worthless,

tell that to someone who has long term illness or isn't affluent.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Because the NHS is totally and utterly worthless, I buy almost all of my
medical care (except primary doctor) and all of my dental care privately
either through insurance or out of pocket.

It seems quite good from my POV - and I speak as a regular user of their
services.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 07:50:58 +0100, June Hughes wrote
(in article ):

How come you know so much about all this? (I did ask if you were a
dentist in another thread but you came back with the reply 'are you?'

Simple.

Because the NHS is totally and utterly worthless,

I tend to disagree. Having no money; having it wasted by some
management staff or not having enough support from the powers that be is
not, IMNSHO, the same thing as being 'totally and utterly worthless'.
I buy almost all of my
medical care (except primary doctor) and all of my dental care privately
either through insurance or out of pocket.

I have to pay for dental care through Denplan, (no choice), which works
well but is expensive. I used to have private healthcare but no longer
subscribe to it. A friend of mine is in long-term National Health care.
Her only gripe over the past few years is the lack of funds and the
snobby, inefficient attitude of the reception staff in the doctor's
surgery, which is the very service you say you still use. (I believe
this attitude to patients by doctors' receptionists is universal).

This is an expensive activity obviously.

Secondly, I also firmly believe that I am in the driving seat as far as
decision and choice of treatments are concerned and the doctor/dentist is a
professional adviser, not ultimate decision maker. In order to make informed
decisions, I take a lot of trouble to research any medical condition and any
treatment before agreeing to it.

I would have thought we would all do that, time permitting. However, I
am not sure your opinions about amalgam are all correct.
--
June Hughes
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I broke a bit off the edge of a tooth a few years ago. Was several days
before I could get it seen to because of bank holidays and things, so I
dremeled the sharp edge off to stop it rubbing my cheek excruciatingly.
The dentist reckoned I'd done exactly what he'd have done. Only the
tiniest shaving, just to remove the razor edge.

IME that happens naturally within a few days of the break.

I'd already waited a day and a half and wasn't willing to experiment longer.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from raden contains these words:

dentistry
DIY - you know it makes sense

http://www.rateitall.com/i-917742-ro...canal-kit.aspx

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Next morning, finding
that his singing was effected by the gap, he chopped the end off a bone
toothbrush, filed it to shape and rammed it between the adjacent two
front teeth. It was still there when he died.

You don't say how long it was between fitting the prosthesis and his
demise. Could have been ten minutes from prophylactic[1] shock!

[1] Yes, I know I mean anaphylactic, but what one bit of my brain thinks
is not always the same as what another bit tells my fingers to type.
I imagine prophylactic shock is what carries away popes.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Because the NHS is totally and utterly worthless,

My mum, who's in her eighties and has had MS for the last thirty five
years might disagree with you.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

The message MSMug.196744$Mn5.18616@pd7tw3no
from "graham" contains these words:

http://www.rateitall.com/i-917742-ro...canal-kit.aspx

http://mycroft.net/drb/info/restorat.../kit/main.html

This one's better value.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:36:58 +0100, The Reid wrote
(in article ):

Following up to Andy Hall

Because the NHS is totally and utterly worthless,

tell that to someone who has long term illness or isn't affluent.

Wrong thinking.

The UK NHS is the third largest employer in the world after the Chinese army
and the Indian railways. This inevitably leads to colossal waste and has
done since the inception of it.

I am not saying that there should not be a means of obtaining medical care
for people unable to pay themselves. In a civilised society, that should be
there but via a voucher system that people can spend on healthcare where they
choose to do so.

The mistake is that the government is involved in the *delivery* of it.
That isn't necessary.