Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Default Cocoa [How have the mighty fallen? OT.]

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:26:58 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.. .

Is this enough or do you want a report on the disgracefully filthy
Pinderfields Hospital Wakefield. They had to change the law to abandon
Crown Immunity after Pinderfields Hospital killed 20 -odd patients
with food poisoning.

Why not go private.?

We do, even my 20 Yo. student daughter is covered. Her elder siblings
are also covered at minimal cost through their respective employment,
they paid about 17 quid /month (+tax)the last time we discussed it.

The treatment was simply there when we needed it, (BTW what's this
business about waiting lists and queueing? all the patients have to be
dealt with eventually. So why not make a big effort and work overtime
evenings and weekends to get the work done (that's what used to
happen when I worked in the mills) get up to date and then keep up
with it.

ISTM the hospital administrators should have spent a work experience
period actually working in a Mill or Tailoring shop.

There was no delay at all when my wife presented (at BUPA) with acute
symptoms of a chronically infected gall bladder. The ultrasound
revealed it needed to be removed as soon as possible, which it was 36
hours later (by the local professor of abdomenal surgery or somesuch)
for whom my wife developed an admiration that bordered on religious.
Can't say that for my inlaws experience, though judging from my NI
contributions over the years bupa was by far cheaper.

The examples I quoted are all from the inlaws side of the family.
Public sector employees, who previously had seen no reason for private
health insurance, and by now being too old and with active
pre-existing conditions are inelgeable.

BTW it was our bank that insisted we take out private health
insurance.

It has not been economically advantageous to us, the treatments we
have had could have been obtained for less cost by simply by paying
for them, but that's what insurance (and nowadays banking) is all
about.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Derek ^" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:26:58 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
. ..

Is this enough or do you want a report on the disgracefully filthy
Pinderfields Hospital Wakefield. They had to change the law to abandon
Crown Immunity after Pinderfields Hospital killed 20 -odd patients
with food poisoning.

A son was in the Burns Unit at Pinderfields and had the very best treatment
possible. We regard it with great affection, it saved his life.

There was no delay at all when my wife presented (at BUPA) with acute
symptoms of a chronically infected gall bladder.

There was no delay when a neighbour presented at the local A&E with the same
thing a few weeks ago.

The ultrasound
revealed it needed to be removed as soon as possible, which it was 36
hours later (by the local professor of abdomenal surgery or somesuch)

The neighbour's was removed within four hours.

You have the choice.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:22:26 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Is this enough or do you want a report on the disgracefully filthy
Pinderfields Hospital Wakefield. They had to change the law to abandon
Crown Immunity after Pinderfields Hospital killed 20 -odd patients
with food poisoning.

A son was in the Burns Unit at Pinderfields and had the very best treatment
possible.

How do you know that?

We regard it with great affection, it saved his life.

Is that your consolation for the relatives of the patients who died of
food poisoning.

I can't speak about the burns unit, but the surgical ward that B.I.L
went on (see previous post) was filthy and decrepit, observations I am
qualified to make.

There was no delay at all when my wife presented (at BUPA) with acute
symptoms of a chronically infected gall bladder.

There was no delay when a neighbour presented at the local A&E with the same
thing a few weeks ago.

The ultrasound
revealed it needed to be removed as soon as possible, which it was 36
hours later (by the local professor of abdomenal surgery or somesuch)

The neighbour's was removed within four hours.

Mary you are not dealing from the same deck of cards.

She had a different condition. Empyema of the gall bladder. Which is a
clinical emergency.

This is the end stage of gall bladder disease which occurs
if inflammation of the gall bladder has not been treated in a timely
manner. It results in the gangrenous gall bladder becoming grossly
distended due to it filling up with pus because it cannot drain away
(So-called "Penile Gallbladder") .

When my Mother in Law had her gall bladder removed she had to wait 8
weeks for the OP at the LGI, and this could have happened at any time.

NB.. My nephew didn't get anything like the 4 hours treatment at
Jimmy's despite having acute appendicitis, the result was peritonitis.

Unfortunately my wife had to wait more than 5 days just to get to see
her NHS GP to be referred to BUPA for an ultrasound. BUPA called us
back within the hour and made an appointment for the next morning. It
took 3 days for her GP to read the letter (which BUPA had taken the
trouble to send by fax) and then refer her for the operation. Lots of
plausible-plausible excuses from the Health Centre.

AFAIAC the BUPA waiting time for the BUPA op started at the time her
GP referred her for it. Monday to Wednesday with antibiotic cover was
perfectly acceptable, 8 weeks as per the LGI would not have been.

:-(

You have the choice.

* NO YOU DON'T HAVE A CHOICE *

The NHS gets their get money whether there is a bed and/or treatment
etc. for you when you need it or not.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

wrote:

[...]

Has Mary told you that her husband was treated in a private hospital on the
NHS?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 16:51:19 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

AFAIAC the BUPA waiting time for the BUPA op started at the time her
GP referred her for it. Monday to Wednesday with antibiotic cover was
perfectly acceptable, 8 weeks as per the LGI would not have been.

Has Mary told you that her husband was treated in a private hospital on the
NHS?

I deduced it from what she has posted in the past. it has been
increasingly common in Yorkshire over recent years.

I can understand the patients are happy with it, no criticism of the
patients intended whatsoever, they have already been let down. But it
only happens when the NHS has not been able to provide the treatment
they are supposed to provide within the allowed timescale (AFAIAA
currently 8 months) . IE the NHS has failed.

Oddly, given the quality of it's facilities, the NHS pubishes quite
spectacular prices for hospital nights and operations which leave run
of the mill private hospitals high and dry (It ls inconceivable that
anyone has accurately costed an operation and a private room in an NHS
hospital). Unfortunately for them the accountants come along see these
figures picked out of the air and say it's cheaper to send patients to
BUPA or Nuffield. "Horsed at their own Gambit", as we used to say in
the chess club.

However the cost of that private operation comes out of NHS funds and
means that the Trust has that much money less to spend on buildings,
staff and medicines in future. The result is the ward closures,
redundances and postcode lottery precribing we are seeing now. Of
course this means that next year the NHS will be in an even worse
position to fulfil it's obligations to it's patients, and even more
money will leave the NHS and end up in the pockets of private
providers, many of whom perform spectacularly badly and are on 25
-year "Asbestos" contracts.

BTW if you are in Scotland they get 25% more funding than English
Hospitals. Compare Ninewells (Dundee), or Aberdeen R.I. (Foresterhill)
with a crumbling WW2 dump like Pinderfields.

Anyway we are celebrating here tonight. We just got paid* for a
machine weighing half a ton we delivered to an NHS hospital on
10/11/2005 costing £21,000 which has been in very heavy daily service
ever since. It's good because we've already paid the VAT (about
£3,000) and the contractors that installed it (About £2,000).

* When I say "paid" I exagerrate a little. In fact today is the day we
got the finance dept to confirm that they had entered our invoice on
their computer. They couldn't tell us / didn't know which payment run
it would go out on. They say they do a payment run ever week. 2 weeks
ago a different individual said they do 2 per week. So we will just
have to phone the bank every day 'till it turns up. Our payroll is run
on the 15th of September therefore it is a matter of some urgency for
us.

They called us to request our bank details, which they also had done
3 weeks ago - so we gave them again. We have dealt regularly with the
hospital in question for 34 years. :-(

So, having supplied the goods, after waiting 10 months for a payment
that has not turned up we find ourselves to be in much the same
position as a patient who has paid his NI contibutions for 38 years
but finds the health authority can't come up with the treatment when
he needs it.

If Mary continues to post along the lines it's all "lovely", and the
treatment "couldn't possibly have been better", USW, USW. USW.

A son was in the Burns Unit at Pinderfields and had the very
best treatment possible. We regard it with great affection,
it saved his life.

She can expect me to challenge it.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"Derek ^" wrote in message

BTW if you are in Scotland they get 25% more funding than English
Hospitals. Compare Ninewells (Dundee), or Aberdeen R.I. (Foresterhill)
with a crumbling WW2 dump like Pinderfields.

Well we pay for BUPA anyway so I don't take any advantage of that.

Please don't think things are any better up here in the NHS because they are
not

[...]

Aye

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Ophelia
writes

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.. .

BTW if you are in Scotland they get 25% more funding than English
Hospitals. Compare Ninewells (Dundee), or Aberdeen R.I. (Foresterhill)
with a crumbling WW2 dump like Pinderfields.

Well we pay for BUPA anyway so I don't take any advantage of that.

Lucky you.

Please don't think things are any better up here in the NHS because they are
not

Snip

Well, you had a bad experience a few years ago and I sympathise with you
but we read of equally bad experiences within the private sector.
--
June Hughes
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Ophelia
writes

"Derek ^" wrote in message
. ..

BTW if you are in Scotland they get 25% more funding than English
Hospitals. Compare Ninewells (Dundee), or Aberdeen R.I. (Foresterhill)
with a crumbling WW2 dump like Pinderfields.

Well we pay for BUPA anyway so I don't take any advantage of that.

Lucky you.

Please don't think things are any better up here in the NHS because they
are
not

Snip

Well, you had a bad experience a few years ago and I sympathise with you
but we read of equally bad experiences within the private sector.

June that was in the private sector)) But it wasn't the fault of the
hospital. It was Staph. Aureous and it lives on the skin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Owain wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
June that was in the private sector)) But it wasn't the fault of
the hospital. It was Staph. Aureous and it lives on the skin.

Just because it lives on the skin doesn't mean it should be allowed to
get into wounds.

Indeed but it isn't always easy to keep it out

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Owain wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
June that was in the private sector)) But it wasn't the fault of
the hospital. It was Staph. Aureous and it lives on the skin.
Just because it lives on the skin doesn't mean it should be allowed
to get into wounds.

Indeed but it isn't always easy to keep it out

Did your Domestic Science mistress never tell you to use "Vim and
vigourrrr"?

a'course but it don't work on knee knobs!