Clark Magnuson

Default Mighty Mag Magnetic Base Modifications?

It seems to have no flat surfaces, other that the magnetic sticky side.
It seems to be made of Aluminum, epoxy, and something too hard to drill.
It seems difficult to attach a dial indicator in line with Mighty Mag Base.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Clark Magnuson wrote:
It seems to have no flat surfaces, other that the magnetic sticky side.
It seems to be made of Aluminum, epoxy, and something too hard to drill.
It seems difficult to attach a dial indicator in line with Mighty Mag Base.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

The ad to which you just pointed with that URL says that it is
die-cast zinc, not aluminum.

And the epoxy is probably used to hold the magnet material in.

The "too hard to drill" is probably some form of a ceramic
magnet -- perhaps the neodynium ones which are so strong.

But even if it were an old alnico, those also were too hard to
drill -- at least with normal drill bits.

The lack of other flat surfaces should give you the clue that
they are not intended to stick to a surface.

I don't have one, so I don't know which styles of indicators
will mount easily on it, and which will not.

But from the description, there are several ways to mount
indicators already provided on the device.

Do you have a question, instead of a list of observations? If
so, perhaps you could state the question in the body, instead of the
rather nebulous:

"Mighty Mag Magnetic Base Modifications?"

which was only in the "Subject: " header.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Grant Erwin

Clark Magnuson wrote:

It seems to have no flat surfaces, other that the magnetic sticky side.
It seems to be made of Aluminum, epoxy, and something too hard to drill.
It seems difficult to attach a dial indicator in line with Mighty Mag Base.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Clark, what exactly do you want to know? I have one of those and use it a fair
amount. I have never found it confusing. Try mounting a standard mag base
vertical piece in the mighty mag's v block, then grab your dial indicator in the
normal way, point it any which way you like.

GWE
JohnM

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Clark Magnuson wrote:

It seems to have no flat surfaces, other that the magnetic sticky side.
It seems to be made of Aluminum, epoxy, and something too hard to drill.
It seems difficult to attach a dial indicator in line with Mighty Mag Base.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

The ad to which you just pointed with that URL says that it is
die-cast zinc, not aluminum.

And the epoxy is probably used to hold the magnet material in.

The "too hard to drill" is probably some form of a ceramic
magnet -- perhaps the neodynium ones which are so strong.

I think it's recommended that these magnets not be machined on account
of the dust being pretty poisonous. They also die at a relatively low
temperature.

They sure are cool magnets though

But even if it were an old alnico, those also were too hard to
drill -- at least with normal drill bits.

The lack of other flat surfaces should give you the clue that
they are not intended to stick to a surface.

I don't have one, so I don't know which styles of indicators
will mount easily on it, and which will not.

But from the description, there are several ways to mount
indicators already provided on the device.

Do you have a question, instead of a list of observations? If
so, perhaps you could state the question in the body, instead of the
rather nebulous:

"Mighty Mag Magnetic Base Modifications?"

which was only in the "Subject: " header.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Clark Magnuson

Grant Erwin wrote:
Clark Magnuson wrote:

It seems to have no flat surfaces, other that the magnetic sticky side.
It seems to be made of Aluminum, epoxy, and something too hard to drill.
It seems difficult to attach a dial indicator in line with Mighty Mag
Base.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Clark, what exactly do you want to know? I have one of those and use it
a fair amount. I have never found it confusing. Try mounting a standard
mag base vertical piece in the mighty mag's v block, then grab your dial
indicator in the normal way, point it any which way you like.

GWE

I am trying to measure the crossfeed position on a lathe, with the
indicator on top of the magnet and pointed in line with the magnet.

Because I cannot drill and tap the magnet, I am going to have to weld a
stud to a bracket and epoxy the bracket to the top of the magnet.

Grant Erwin

Clark Magnuson wrote:

I am trying to measure the crossfeed position on a lathe, with the
indicator on top of the magnet and pointed in line with the magnet.

On one end of the MM is a 1/4-20 tapped hole. Mine has a thumbscrew on it with a
red plastic head. This engages the lug on the back of standard dial indicators.
It is simple to remove the 4 screws and rotate the lug on your indicator 90° if
your indicator isn't inline. Here's a pic:

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/mightyMaxDIinline.jpg

So I think all you need is a lug-back indicator and you're in business.

That help?

Grant
michael

Grant Erwin wrote:
Clark Magnuson wrote:

I am trying to measure the crossfeed position on a lathe, with the
indicator on top of the magnet and pointed in line with the magnet.

On one end of the MM is a 1/4-20 tapped hole. Mine has a thumbscrew on
it with a red plastic head. This engages the lug on the back of standard
dial indicators. It is simple to remove the 4 screws and rotate the lug
on your indicator 90° if your indicator isn't inline. Here's a pic:

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/mightyMaxDIinline.jpg

So I think all you need is a lug-back indicator and you're in business.

That help?

Grant

I use a lug-back indicator on my lathe that is mounted to a shaft. The
shaft slides through a block of aluminum which holds 2 mighty-mags
inline with, on either side of the shaft c/line. Just use the 1/4-20 end
hole(s) and the 3/8 hole(s) at opposite ends to secure the mag(s) to the
block. Been using that for 17 years. Dang, ought to get a dro.

mj
Grant Erwin

michael wrote:

I use a lug-back indicator on my lathe that is mounted to a shaft.

Your lathe is mounted to a SHAFT? :-)

The shaft slides through a block of aluminum which holds 2 mighty-mags
inline with, on either side of the shaft c/line. Just use the 1/4-20 end
hole(s) and the 3/8 hole(s) at opposite ends to secure the mag(s) to the
block. Been using that for 17 years. Dang, ought to get a dro.

Actually, I suggest you get a digital camera and shoot a picture. If you can't
host it, put it in the dropbox and post the actual URL to it. It sounds
interesting, but I can't figure out what you mean from your writing.

GWE

Grant Erwin wrote:
On one end of the MM is a 1/4-20 tapped hole. Mine has a thumbscrew on
it with a red plastic head. This engages the lug on the back of
standard dial indicators. It is simple to remove the 4 screws and
rotate the lug on your indicator 90° if your indicator isn't inline.
Here's a pic:

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/mightyMaxDIinline.jpg

The Starrett 196 series works well in them.
\http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/...asp?GroupID=20

Jim Wilkins

michael

Grant Erwin wrote:

On one end of the MM is a 1/4-20 tapped hole. Mine has a thumbscrew
on it with a red plastic head. This engages the lug on the back of
standard dial indicators. It is simple to remove the 4 screws and
rotate the lug on your indicator 90° if your indicator isn't inline.
Here's a pic:

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/mightyMaxDIinline.jpg

Sent to dropbox. First time I've used it, so we'll see, or not.

Grant Erwin

Ah. That would be http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/indicator.jpg -- it took
me awhile to find it without a name, but eventually I did. Now I see! That's
pretty clever, does it work well? I have a cheap magnetic back for a long-throw
dial indicator, does a similar function except not as easy to adjust.

GWE

michael wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

On one end of the MM is a 1/4-20 tapped hole. Mine has a thumbscrew
on it with a red plastic head. This engages the lug on the back of
standard dial indicators. It is simple to remove the 4 screws and
rotate the lug on your indicator 90° if your indicator isn't inline.
Here's a pic:

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/mightyMaxDIinline.jpg

Sent to dropbox. First time I've used it, so we'll see, or not.

michael

Grant Erwin wrote:
Ah. That would be http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/indicator.jpg --
it took me awhile to find it without a name, but eventually I did. Now I
see! That's pretty clever, does it work well? I have a cheap magnetic
back for a long-throw dial indicator, does a similar function except not
as easy to adjust.

GWE

Sorry about the (non) link. I had to leave before getting confirmation
of files being posted. Yes, it works quite well. I'm using a 2" travel
indicator and have over 12" adjustment range of the shaft. With 2
magnets it does not get accidentally moved very easily.

mj