The Natural Philosopher

b wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Zak wrote:

What to stick on his windscreen which wont come off easily?

A brick?

:0)

One of the better tricks might be to superglue a dead weasel, all

four

feet, on.

I cable wrapped one to my myopic neigbours car radio aerial once. It

was

still there a week later....

ROFL!
any tips on where we can find a weasel, alive or dead?!!
love that plan.

Cats occasionally catch them.

Rats - dessicated mummified rats - can be obtained from farmers grain
stores. 300 tons of wheat on a rats head in a drying silo leaves em
pretty much flat, stiff, and leathery. Very suitable for windscreens.

-B

AstraVanMan

Yes, quite, and damaged bodywork only costs money when you come to sell
it, which is obviously totally unimportant. You won't mind if I rifle
through your wallet then?

sigh

A car is for going, stopping and carrying. That's all. You can keep it

until
it dies then get another. You don't HAVE to sell it.

Someone once claimed that I'd scraped his bumper (!) in a car park and

that
it would reduce the re-sale value. I said that if he was as hard up as

that
I'd pay him for the repair and gave him a cheque there and then. I have no
respect for that attitude.

It's like this:

It's someone else's property. If it gets damaged by someone other than the
owner, then it's up to that person to put it back to how it was.

--
Peter
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ =+=+=

Owain

AstraVanMan wrote:
I live in a block in S London, in pretty much exactly the same situation
as the OP. I am also a director of the management company, and we have
discussed a barrier or remote gates etc.
When we looked at automatic gates, we had to also consider access for
legitimate visitors such as the milkman, postman, delivery drivers etc, as
well as doctors and emergency vehicles, and legitimate residents'
visitors.

If there is sufficient space to separate incoming and outgoing traffic
(ie not a single-track driveway) the emergency vehicle access can often
be sorted by having sprung flaps in the incoming lane, which can be
driven over by vehicles entering the property, but cannot be driven over
easily in the 'wrong' direction, and having the exit controlled by barrier.

If the non-resident parking is caused by workers in nearby businesses
(as it often is) they will tend to arrive and depart at regular times. A
few days of someone standing at the entrance in a high-vis jacket
(either a resident who feels up to it and has the time, or a hired
'security' person - which does not cost much if you get someone from the
jobcentre or nearest gym, you're not trusting them with keys or inside
access or anything) and the unauthorised parkers will be deterred from
parking in the private car park and will get into the habit of parking
elsewhere. Once they've got the habit of parking elsewhere they probably
won't return for months.

Owain

The Natural Philosopher

Conor wrote:

USE ****ING FULLSTOPS YOU STUPID OLD *******.

You could use a bit of comma, or even colonic, insertion, yourself..
The Natural Philosopher

Conor wrote:

In article , Stuffed says...

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
hill.com...

On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:16:42 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

Yes, if they also enforced a "no accompanied breeders" area where
one could park without someone else's little darlings denting the
car doors.

FFS it's only a car.

If you lost the gem out of your beloved dearly departed great grandmother's
wedding ring, would you say it's only a ring? How about that clock your
father left you on his deathbed, does it matter if I crack the glass on the
face?

THey're things. They're only things. It doesn't matter.

So are kids, so if I dent a kids head with my car door it doesn't matter
right?

The Natural Philosopher

Adrian wrote:

Mary Fisher ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

I prefer to eat 100% decent fresh fruit and veg which is one reason I
don't shop at supermarkets.

Not all of us have that choice.

Yes we do. Its just a question of what we are prepared to sacrifice to
get it.

AstraVanMan

No.

It could be an heirloom. It could be a hire or lease. It could have deep
sentimental value. It could simply be worth ****loads. It often,

however, is
not only a car. So if you or your offspring ever dent my door, at the

very
least you will pay the full amount to professionally repair it.

And will you have the repair done or just pocket the cash with a smirk?

Either way, the point is if a person causes damage to someone else's
property that didn't have that damage before, then they should pay for the
repair. If the person then decides to pocket the cash and live with the
dent/scratch/scrape, then that's entirely up to them.

Look, people are more important than things.We should love people and use
things, not use people and love things.

I couldn't agree more.

I once reversed into a very low bollard and dented the rear bumper on our
car. It had no effect whatsoever on any of the functions of the car - to

go,
stop and carry things. It didn't even have an effect on the subsequent MOT

test.

What upset me was that when I went indoors and dramatically told Spouse

that
I'd crashed into something his response was to ask how much damage there

was
to the car, he didn't ask if I was injured.

He very quickly realised that he'd got his priorities wrong.

Heh! I couldn't agree more there - had he asked "What happened? Are you
ok?", to which you replied "Yes, I'm fine, it was only at very low speed",
to which he then replied "was there much damage?" then he wouldn't have been
in the doghouse, right? :-)

--
Peter
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ =+=+=
your own email address at
what..a.load...of......********....dot....co.....d ot.......uk
(or ....dot......net) for just 10 quid a year.....
get circumcised to email me for more info

The Natural Philosopher

Depresion wrote:

"Richard Colton" wrote in message
. uk...

"Stuffed" wrote in message

If I want to take a South American rodent with me, why shouldn't I?

1. Because there's no good reason for you take it.

Someone has to look after it just like kids.

No, you are allowed to put it in a cage ane leave it at home. Although
this is an excellent remedy for spoilt brats, the nanny state has
rendered it illegal.

2. Because the supermarkets (indeed, most shops) don't permit it.

I have seen plenty of no dogs except guide dog signs but never a no rodents
sign.

And sadly no 'No children under the age of 16' signs...

3. Because this argument is just getting (has got) plain silly.

Welcome to Usenet.

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote
Perhaps they could have different Days, so one could decide which
annoyances to avoid.
Monday could be Dotty Pensioner Free Day

That wouldn't work. Dotty pensioners don't know which day is which, so
would still turn up.

I wonder if the poster

That would be me :-)

will still demand a Dotty Pensioner-free Day when the
poster is a Dotty Pensioner.

Probably. I didn't like other children when I was a child, so why should
I like other Dotty Pensioners if I ever become one myself - which I have
no intention of doing.

Owain

The Natural Philosopher

AndrewR wrote:

Richard Colton wrote:

"Stuffed" wrote in message

I don't deny people their right to shop (although I do often
question the automatic right to breed), I just wonder quite qhy some
feel the need to excersize that right aggressively on others.

Thank you, finally you admit that it's SOME people. As there are
inconsiderate parents, there are also inconsiderate singles.

Let's not forget old people ... what a nuisance they are, wandering around
so slowly, taking ages to count out their change, even longer to put things
in bags, walking three abreast down the aisles.

Oh and the disabled, they're always getting in the way as well with their
walking sticks and little electric trolleys (and they still manage to be
slow).

And then there's poor people, trying to tot up how much they're spending,
hunting around for the cheapest stuff, counting out piles of vouchers are
the checkouts. Or getting in the way at the fag counter as they queue up to
buy their lottery tickets.

Let's not forget the gays, ******s and jews - I mean, it's just not right
that their sorts should be allowed to shop with decent, normal people, is
it? Are there any queers in the theatre tonight? Get them up against the
wall! That one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me, get him up
against the wall! And that ones looks jewish and that one's a coon, who let
all of this riff-raff into the room? There's one smoking a joint! And
another with spots!

If I had my way I'd have them all in a SHOT!

Quite right too.

I would go furher, and simply take a sniper rifle up onto the roof of
Tescos, and shoot anyone I simply disliked on sight.

I think it would do wonders for the ecosystem frankly, and relieve the
pressure on housing and the transport infrastructure, not to mention shools.

*WARNING* This post may contain traces of sarcasm, humour, irony and 10%
Pink Floyd lyrics (by volume).

Mike Jakob

In article , Zak
writes
This is slightly off-topic but posted to groups where I figure
people would have some good ideas to help me out.

------

I live in a small block of flats near London. When they go
shopping some people like to park in our car park. If this does
not happen much then we just accept it.

However, recently a small number of strangers have started parking
here regularly and some leave their car here all day while they
are at work.

There is entry no barrier to our car park and the warning notices
and (fake) clamping notices on the car park walls are ignored.
These peristent parkers also ignore our little notes left under
the wipers asking them not to park in our car park.

SO THIS IS MY PLAN. I reckon I should now stick a A4-sized
"Please Do Not Park Here" notice on the windscreen of these
regular parkers and make sure the notice is attached with some
sort of glue that takes them a long time to remove.

What do you suggest I use for glue? If I use some rubbery sort of
compound like Bostik or Evostik then it will cost quite a bit as I
probably need a tube of the glue for each notice. If I use a
hard-setting glue like superglue then it will probably come off
with an ice-scraper as the wind screen will probably be a bit
dirty & dusty.

Can I buy and preprinted EXTRA-MESSY self adhesive notices which
say "Please Do Not Park Here" ?

Any ideas as to what (relatively cheap) adhesive I can use would
be welcome.

Why not park your vehicles so that they cannot get their cars out, if
this is a private car park they will soon get fed up of the hassle, or
of course you could contact the police or would this be to simple.
--
Mike Jakob I am at Home because I live here
All email checked with Norton Anti Virus 2002
dennis@home

"H" wrote in message

I live in a block in S London, in pretty much exactly the same situation
as the OP. I am also a director of the management company, and we have
discussed a barrier or remote gates etc. The cost of something that looks
even remotely in keeping with the block and doesn't make it look like the
entrance to a factory, is prohibitive (i.e. £12K plus).

Don't waste your time.
You will discover the residents are too idle to open the gates so will just
park anywhere but the car park.
You will have a nice empty carpark and nowhere for visitors to park.

I am seriously think about cutting the lock off the gate and locking it open
with a lock of my own in an attempt to get them to use the car park.

Conor

In article , Mary
Fisher says...

How about if I shred a Rembrant, or take a chisel to the odd statue or
two?

It's been done.

And TBH, the only people who gave a **** were the art luvvies anyway.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
AstraVanMan

Anyone part-exchanging a car for a guaranteed £1000 is getting
monumentally
ripped off in the price of the car they're buying. No-one would just

give
£1000 for a car worth £50 out of the goodness of their heart.

Heh, our local Proton dealer is offering £3000 minimum trade in on the
£11,000 Impian. My dad, I hope being sarcastic, suggested trading in the
Subaru for one. I pointed out the Impian has a stupid name and the Ignis
4Grip seems like the best crappy little car to buy right now, and then
said: "But, if you want to take that deal, give me the Subaru and I'll
trade in the Volvo 740 - it's still got 2 weeks tax and a few month MOT
and I think it'll make it..."

So today we're test driving the Ignis.

Was the £3k guaranteed trade-in only on the £11k Impian though?

--
Peter
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ =+=+=
your own email address at
what..a.load...of......********....dot....co.....d ot.......uk
(or ....dot......net) for just 10 quid a year.....
get circumcised to email me for more info

Johannes

Alistair J Murray wrote:

Johannes wrote:

[...]

Amusing to have your car damaged by vigilante vandals?

The unauthorised parker has temporarily deprived the space owner of
enjoyment of their property so can have no real objection to similar
treatment.

For what purpose other than satisfying some sick fantasy of a vandal.

Mary Fisher

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Mary
Fisher says...

Hope you live on a farm then.

Not at all, we live in the inner city. There's an organic farm within
walking distance (about a mile) and it's amazing how much I can grow in
our
small garden. Our two banties fertilise it and we have the eggs too.

That's as near to a yes as you can get then. I live out in the country
and my nearest farm is about a mile away. No use though as its oilseed
rape ATM.

OSR is used in all sorts of foods - you are probably eating it.

Mary

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Mary Fisher

"Adrian" wrote in message
I prefer to get the half-decent fresh fruit and veg,

I prefer to eat 100% decent fresh fruit and veg which is one reason I
don't shop at supermarkets.

Not all of us have that choice.

You do, it would take a bit of effort,that's all.

There are no greengrocers around here that I'm aware of. The nearest
saturday market is dire, and the occasional farmer's markets (perhaps one
or two a month) are small, irregular, poorly advertised and on weekdays.
My
back garden is small, paved and very heavily shaded. I don't have the time
to work an allotment.

As I said, it takes a bit of effort. As for the FMs being poorly advertised,
I don't understand why that makes it difficult for you. You obviously know
when they are.

'Relatively fresh' is unacceptable.

True, but it's the best that's readily available.

Not true.

I await your recommendations as to alternative sources. I'm on the
Herts/Berks border, edge of the Chilterns.

I'm too far away to know but I have friends who do live in Herts and in
Berks and they seem to manage to get what they want - fresh, organic and
locally produced.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"RichardK" wrote in message

Sorry, but one of the fundamental problems with modern parenting is this
lack of respect for other people's property.

I agree that it seems to be more common these days. But it always did -
Cicero talked about it many centuries ago :-(

I don't care if it's only a car, it's /my/ car, and if you have through
carelessness or willful action caused damage to it, that is disrespectful,
and you're paying for it, one way or another. If someone gives me the
"It's only a car" attitude then I assume their own car matters little to
them, and they will earn a bloody great bootprint in the door (my boots
weigh something like 7lbs per foot and can inflict one hell of a dent).

And it will make you feel much better? Or like the child who dented yours?

Damage my property and pay. Assume it's your right to damage my property
because, hey, it's just property, then pay /and/ get no sympathy.

I don't damage people's property wilfully. But nor do I assume that all
damage is wilful.

Mary

Richard

Mary Fisher

"AstraVanMan" wrote in message

It's someone else's property. If it gets damaged by someone other than
the
owner, then it's up to that person to put it back to how it was.

Does that apply to the damage your exhaust emissions do to the atmosphere
and other people's health?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Mary
Fisher says...

How about if I shred a Rembrant, or take a chisel to the odd statue or
two?

It's been done.

And TBH, the only people who gave a **** were the art luvvies anyway.

You know that for a fact or is it your opinion?

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Mary Fisher

"RichardK" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

What upset me was that when I went indoors and dramatically told Spouse
that I'd crashed into something his response was to ask how much damage
there was to the car, he didn't ask if I was injured.

You clearly weren't injured. You were telling him what had happened.

Injuries don't always show.

Mary

Richard

Mary Fisher

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , RichardK says...
Mary Fisher wrote:

What upset me was that when I went indoors and dramatically told Spouse
that
I'd crashed into something his response was to ask how much damage
there was
to the car, he didn't ask if I was injured.

You clearly weren't injured. You were telling him what had happened.

When I ran my grandads car into a lampost at a fairly substantial
speed, the only thing he was worried about was that I was OK.

Good for him.

I was
obviously extremely upset at the state the car was in to which his
reply was "its only a mewtal box. You're OK." This coming from a man
who had very little to live on and it was the newest car he'd ever had
purely because he got it on Motability.

But his priorities were right.

Mary

Adrian

Mary Fisher ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

As for the FMs being poorly
advertised, I don't understand why that makes it difficult for you.
You obviously know when they are.

Umm, no. I occasionally see an A5 flyer stuck to a lamp post a week after.

I await your recommendations as to alternative sources. I'm on the
Herts/Berks border, edge of the Chilterns.

I meant Bucks... I do know where I live, honest...

I'm too far away to know but I have friends who do live in Herts and
in Berks and they seem to manage to get what they want - fresh,
organic and locally produced.

This email address works.
Mary Fisher

"AstraVanMan" wrote in message

Either way, the point is if a person causes damage to someone else's
property that didn't have that damage before, then they should pay for the
repair. If the person then decides to pocket the cash and live with the
dent/scratch/scrape, then that's entirely up to them.

In that case the offender is not paying for the damge to the car, only to
feed the smug owner's attitude.

[...]

He wasn't in the doghouse, he remembered that flesh is more important than
metal.

Mary

--
Peter
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ =+=+=
your own email address at
what..a.load...of......********....dot....co.....d ot.......uk
(or ....dot......net) for just 10 quid a year.....
get circumcised to email me for more info

studiosound

In message , Stuffed
writes

To get a blue badge, I would have to apply for DLA. I would almost certainly
get it too, but I manage without it, and don't want to be a further burden
on the system.

Seems bloody silly to ask the government for 50 odd quid a week just so I
can park in the disabled spot at Tesco at half ten on a Thursday evening,
maybe that's just me though?

You don't have to apply for DLA to get a Blue Badge

If you happen to receive the correct component you automatically qualify
for one, but many other people apply and receive them if they fit the
criteria.

Doctor Evil

"Alfred Hitchcock" wrote in message

Is this a private car park or for residents only.

If it's a public car park, then these people every right to park. They pay
their tax disc fee like everyone else. If it is a problem then see the
local council and make them aware people are parking up and getting the
train into London or whatever. Then the council can take appropriate
measures by introducing a resident bay or whatever.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Hamish Walker

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Hamish
Walker says...

What a stupid suggestion: "move somewhere else"! Like people can just do
that on a whim.

Course you can. Whether or not you have the motivation is another
thing.

I didn't say I couldn't accept the parking situation; my parking
situation
is fine thank you very much. I'm merely pointing out that because there
is
no free parking nearby, selfish people will try and take advantage of the
open access to our private property,

So it isn't fine then?

It is for me - I always have a parking space to use. But because I am a
director of the management company, other residents' problems with selfish
outsiders parking on our property is something I am bound to become involved
in. It isn't going to make me move, though.

The motivation to move - and incur the huge inconvenience and expense of
doing so - can be caused by many factors. But the parking problems in
Croydon aren't going to be one of them, at least not for me.

Stuffed

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Stuffed says...

OK, I'll pop round and **** in your PC. It's only a thing, and I'm sure

the
damage will be fairly inexpensive to repair.

Feel free. You may already notice the stains from when it was sat in a
cupboars and a waterpipe burst.

Fair enough. Mine tends to have coffee rings and marks from where I've used
it as a footstool. But I chose to put those marks there, and it's my mess to
clean up if I want to. I wouldn't be too happy cleaning or repairing someone
elses damage to my property, especially if I had to simply to use it again.

Some people attach sentimental value to just things, others do have a
financial interest that they would rather not have inconsiderate

arseholes
damage. Is it really too much to ask others to try and have some respect

for
property?

Respect is one thing and on that I agree. Physically harming a human
being because they accidentally cause damage to an inanimate object is
another.

Oh, I'm not advocating harming a human for damaging my things by any
stretch! I'd just like people to show the same respect for my items as I do
for theirs, and if they cause damage, willful or not, I would like them to
at least make a gesture towards helping with repairs.

Hamish Walker

"Owain" wrote in message
AstraVanMan wrote:
I live in a block in S London, in pretty much exactly the same situation
as the OP. I am also a director of the management company, and we have
discussed a barrier or remote gates etc. When we looked at automatic
gates, we had to also consider access for
legitimate visitors such as the milkman, postman, delivery drivers etc,
as
well as doctors and emergency vehicles, and legitimate residents'
visitors.

If there is sufficient space to separate incoming and outgoing traffic (ie
not a single-track driveway) the emergency vehicle access can often be
sorted by having sprung flaps in the incoming lane, which can be driven
over by vehicles entering the property, but cannot be driven over easily
in the 'wrong' direction, and having the exit controlled by barrier.

Sorry, not quite what I meant by "consider access".

I meant that the milkman, UPS man, Fireman Sam, Miss Spinster's dry-cleaning
and Dr Pox will drive up to the barrier and not be able to get in, simply
because it's there and closed.

Now the milkman could have his own code to get in, like the residents.
Probably the firemen could as well, or their own special over-ride key (I'm
sure there are arrangements for this). But that's no good for the other,
occasional yet legitimate visitors.

So we would have to wire up an entryphone system at huge expense so Miss
Spinster could let the dry-cleaning van in remotely. But Miss Spinster
doesn't have a car herself, so how much should she contribute to the
installation and maintenance of this whole automatic gate thing? She isn'y
even remotely inconvenienced by non-residents parking in the car park, but
she is now inconvenienced because she has to be in every time her
dry-cleaning is delivered.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Mary Fisher
wrote:

You don't understand.

Au contraire. ** You probably won't like this **

Parent and children spaces are wider than normal
parking spaces to enable a pushchair (or trolley) to be put at the side of
the carand the child unstrapped from the seat, loaded into the
pushchair )or trolley) and strapped in again. That's very difficult in a
normal parking space.

Oh dear what a shame, never mind. So leave them at home.

It's even worse if you have more than one young child.

So leave them in someone else's care, or use online shopping then.

The special parking bays aren't necessarily closer to the shop than others

Thay are the same distance at mamy of our supermarkets. Grossly unfair on
the genuinely needy.

nor are they for children who can walk but when they are they do make it
easier for other shoppers because the child laden trolleys or pushchairs
aren't obstructing others.

Apart from up taking spaces that could be provided for the needy.

Brats in car parks make life difficult for everyone as almost without
exception, they are ill mannered, foul mouthed yobs who do not get any form
of discipline when they create havoc. Why should others have to put up with
that?

I'm sure that you will consider this response to be arrogant, uncaring and
unreasonable, however, I am sick of seeing the bone idle causing hardship
for those who are in genuine need by occupying disabled spaces. If people
want to breed, that's fine, but don't inflict the results on others or
expect special treatment.

I'm climbing abourd my soapbox now, but in closing let me stir the waters
with another of my "themes"....

The local newspaper has been full of complaints that Boots the Chemist has
decided to close their "baby changing room". Why on earth should they have
one in the first place? Are they regarded as a charity or something?

Yes OK i'm in a bad mood. :-)

AstraVanMan

I don't care if it's only a car, it's /my/ car, and if you have through
carelessness or willful action caused damage to it, that is

disrespectful,
and you're paying for it, one way or another. If someone gives me the
"It's only a car" attitude then I assume their own car matters little to
them, and they will earn a bloody great bootprint in the door (my boots
weigh something like 7lbs per foot and can inflict one hell of a dent).

And it will make you feel much better? Or like the child who dented yours?

Damage my property and pay. Assume it's your right to damage my property
because, hey, it's just property, then pay /and/ get no sympathy.

I don't damage people's property wilfully. But nor do I assume that all
damage is wilful.

That's not what Richard said.

--
Peter
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ =+=+=
your own email address at
what..a.load...of......********....dot....co.....d ot.......uk
(or ....dot......net) for just 10 quid a year.....
get circumcised to email me for more info

AstraVanMan

It's someone else's property. If it gets damaged by someone other than
the
owner, then it's up to that person to put it back to how it was.

Does that apply to the damage your exhaust emissions do to the atmosphere
and other people's health?

Yes, it does. The vast amounts of money raised in taxes on motorists
(mainly from fuel duty) partly go towards paying for the NHS.

--
Peter
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ =+=+=
your own email address at
what..a.load...of......********....dot....co.....d ot.......uk
(or ....dot......net) for just 10 quid a year.....
get circumcised to email me for more info

Stuffed

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Stuffed" wrote in message

How about if I shred a Rembrant, or take a chisel to the odd statue or
two?

It's been done.

They're only things, I'm sure people wouldn't really miss them.

Would you? While Rembrandt painted some of the pictures which have given

me
most pleasure I doubt that I would really miss them if that happened. If

he
hadn't painted them I wouldn't have known about them in the first place.

I'm
never likely to see them again - and prints are no substitute (I used to
think they were until I saw them in the flesh, as it were).

So you don't have any single item of non organic beauty you would be upset
about someone damaging without a second thought?

But you're talking about one-offs there, unique items, not mass produced
ones. They can't be reproduced 100%, a car door can. A clock can, a ring
can. Sentimental value is meaningless, if an identical item was

substituted
for the clock or ring I doubt that it would be noticed.

A car can be replaced with another car, but not that car, with the same
settled in mechanicals, seats, engine, memories, etc. In fact, unless you're
driving something fairly new and common, you're going to struggle to get
anything near identical. I'd say the same about most things really. What
you're really saying is things can be replaced with others that will do a
similar or possibly identical job, which is very different.

I still firmly believe that people are more important.

I firmly believe that people neglecting to respect others property are
therefore being disrespectful to the owners, who happen to be people.

And will you have the repair done or just pocket the cash with a smirk?

Yes, I would have the repair done. I happen to drive a slowly

appreciating
classic.

We've done that, been there, they aren't as efficient as the car we drive
today. They caused more damage through pollution (to humans), were less
efficient and didn't have the carrying capacity we need.

Do you really want to start the new v old car pollution debate? My car was
made 25 years ago, and in that time has covered around 75 thousand miles. It
has had very little major work, mainly using the consumables as any other
car would. It's main polluting effect, being the resources used to produce
it, has been offset by it remaining in use, so preventing a whole new load
of pollution to be released to provide a new car. By not being scrapped in
favour of a newer car, it has also not created the environmental nightmare
of disposing of the plastics and other nasties.

And if emissions become a great concern, I am not against fitting a modern
"cleaner" running engine, which would then pretty much void the whole
argument against old cars in terms of pollution.

I'm sure you can argue the case for modern cars too, so it's really a silly
argument to start

But you might be interested in a long run of Practical Classics (from No

1)
we have cluttering the house. You probably already have them, if not

they're
yours for the carriage or collection.

I used to read it, but I found it concentrated on the mainstream quaint
small cars and exotic luxury cars too much as time went on. And I'm sure in
recent years it's started having some decidedly not yet ready to be classics
as features. So the offer's tempting, but the postage would be silly amounts
for not much worth reading really

If it's a genuine offer, I might ask around if anyone I know's interested,
they might appreciate it.

It's not in good condition, but I'm doing my best to improve it.
I'd rather not have my hard work ruined by someone who can't be bothered
show a little more care.

Have you never been careless? Have you never - in your whole life - caused
any damage to others' possessions or themselves, whether maliciously or

not?

Of course I have. Unlike many, I've even noticed I've done it, and tried to
rectify it. I am not against people making mistakes, we all do. I'm against
them not taking any responsibility for them when pointed out.

Look, people are more important than things.We should love people and

use
things, not use people and love things.

More important, yes (usually). But that's a reletive, it doesn't mean

that
things are without any importance whatsoever, does it?

The second sentence is the important one.

You've been saying things are meaningless. I've not been saying we shouldn't
give a damn about people (I'm sure there's at least a handful worth
bothering with somewhere), I'm saying people should give a damn about other
people, as much as they expect me to give a damn about them. I grow tired of
the arguments that everybody's free to do as they wish, so long as what they
wish is what the person dishing out the freedom wants.

I've done the same, but it's my property, and my stupidity. If I

reversed
into someone elses car, or borrowed a car and reversed into a bollard, I
would expect to have to pay for the repairs.

You'd leave a note with your contact details I suppose.

So far, touch cheap chip desk, I've not hit a parked car. But I have
sometimes caused minor damage to a car I've borrowed, and made a genuine
offer to make repairs. If I did knowingly damage another car, yes, I would
attempt to make good to the best of my abilities, be it a chat, money,
insurance, etc.

I can't possibly comment on this without sounding like an utter *******,
so
I won't!

Says it all, really ...

It's an art, one I have yet to quite perfect though.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Taz
URL:mailto:me@home wrote:

**** you Stuffed, or maybe Stuff you ****ed.
If I want to take my kids shopping with me, I bloody well will. They are
better behaved than your display of throwing toys out of a pram. Imagine
shopping with your kids at home wondering if they are safe, wondering if
they would like the tee shirt you are looking at for them, wondering if they
would prefer a pizza or a Chinese, wondering if they would like that video,
toy, etc.etc. Kids shop too ya ****wit, and if their parents are with them,
well, you can temper the excesses that kids have. If I let my kids shop
without parental control, we would have more widescreen tellys, game
consoles, etc. than you could shake a stick at.

And here is a prime example of why kids behave as they do.

AstraVanMan

Either way, the point is if a person causes damage to someone else's
property that didn't have that damage before, then they should pay for

the
repair. If the person then decides to pocket the cash and live with the
dent/scratch/scrape, then that's entirely up to them.

In that case the offender is not paying for the damge to the car, only to
feed the smug owner's attitude.

No, it's compensating them for the decrease in value of their property,
something that they paid for with their own money. Yes, it does only affect
them if and when they were to sell the thing - it'll still go and stop and
carry people etc. like it did before, but its value has nonetheless been
affected. Why shouldn't the owner be compensated if it wasn't his/her
fault?

Heh! I couldn't agree more there - had he asked "What happened? Are

you
ok?", to which you replied "Yes, I'm fine, it was only at very low

speed",
to which he then replied "was there much damage?" then he wouldn't have
been
in the doghouse, right? :-)

He wasn't in the doghouse, he remembered that flesh is more important than
metal.

Which it is.

--
Peter
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ =+=+=
your own email address at
what..a.load...of......********....dot....co.....d ot.......uk
(or ....dot......net) for just 10 quid a year.....
get circumcised to email me for more info

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

FFS it's only a car.

Which costs many thousands of pounds.

AstraVanMan

[...]

I think my idea of a barrier that opens when any vehicle approaches it is a
good idea. It would be combined with a CCTV system, and activate the CCTV
system to record the movements of each and every vehicle that enters the
premises, for the sole purpose of ascertaining whether or not they are
actually entering the block of flats or using it to park all day whilst at
work. I can't imagine this costing much more than £3-4k tops, but that's a
vague guess!

--
Peter
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ =+=+=
your own email address at
what..a.load...of......********....dot....co.....d ot.......uk
(or ....dot......net) for just 10 quid a year.....
get circumcised to email me for more info

Stuffed

"Stuffed" wrote in message

"Conor" wrote in message

THey're things. They're only things. It doesn't matter.

OK, I'll pop round and **** in your PC.

Why?

On my way, I'll pop into HMV and take a hammer to the CDs.

Why?

Because these are just things, with only a financial interest, and have no
real value compared to the desires and mechansims of nature.

Or maybe actually causing damage to bits of plastic is something that has an
effect on people, and we should consider that, whether the damage be
accidental or deliberate. Peoples lives depend on just things, peoples
income depends on just things. People can get emotional support from things,
and if someone else takes that thing away, or defaces it, is it just damage
to to a thing, or damage to a person? Was the fact my stereo, TV and tapes
were stolen, and the *******s covered the carpet in paint only upsetting
because I was too attached to these things?

Some people attach sentimental value to just things, others do have a
financial interest that they would rather not have inconsiderate

arseholes
damage. Is it really too much to ask others to try and have some respect
for
property?

er - your earlier threats put you in that category (inconsiderate ... ).

I had to pop out to Tescos earlier today. It was packed, and aside from the
grumbles about people seeing it as some perverse social club, I saw several
children. There was the young couple with babies of different ages all piled
into a trolley, with the spare in a pushchair. That was a couple, FFS. There
were other couples, wandering around with their spawn. Then there were the
children accompanied by one adult - I have no problems at all there, as
there's no reason to believe that these people have any alternative to
taking the children out when they need to shop. I see the first group as
inconsiderate, the second as not. In no way am I saying people shouldn't go
shopping with their children (much though I personally would prefer that), I
have been saying all along that when there is more than one person capable
of caring for the sprogs in a household, why do the whole bloody lot have to
thoughtlessly impose themselves on everyone else to get a pint of milk and
the Sunday roast?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article ,
Vauxhall Victot wrote:

Try using Golden Syrup or molasses

Try this: http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

Stuffed

Stuffed wrote:

"AndrewR" wrote in message

What is irresponsible, having children, taking them to the supermarket

or
failing to realise that you are the most important person there and that
your wishes are paramount?

The two aren't always mutually exclusive...

Three.

Bugger.

I scanned that comma as having *and* taking, not as an optional.

See, I haven't got this being a miserable ******* quite right yet