Old March 13th 05, 05:26 PM
charlie b

Default Are There No Pointy Stick Makers Left?

To date, The Pointy Stick Compendium Project has only received
one, count 'em one, pointy stick contribution. Has the noble and
ancient art of pointy stick making almost died out. Are there
no pointy stick makers amongst us? Surely there are a few
neanders who have kept the craft alive. And someone out there
with a CNC machine has to have made at least one pointy stick.

So PLEASE, send your photos and drawings of YOUR pointy
stick. And if you would, try and keep the file size below
5 megs, 100K would be preferable. And some text describing
the stick, including the style, method of fabricating, wood
used and source of inspiration would be appreciated.

TIA

charlie b
E.D. - TPSCP
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...OfContent.html

ps I've gotten wind of a "throw it away and it comes back"
pointy stick that was found in OZ. Am researching
that one.

Old March 13th 05, 06:50 PM
Swingman

"charlie b" wrote in message
To date, The Pointy Stick Compendium Project has only received
one, count 'em one, pointy stick contribution. Has the noble and
ancient art of pointy stick making almost died out. Are there
no pointy stick makers amongst us?

Sorry ... I would love to contribute, but don't have enough room in my shop
to make pointy sticks worthy of the effort.

OK, dammit, here's one ... it's a Pointy Stick Bill Cap that, with a little
practice, and a steady (slightly oversized) head, allows you to keep both
(count'em, TWO) hands free on the measuring device while marking your wood,
(or is the other way around?):

http://e-woodshop.net/files/PointyStickBillCap.JPG

Also great for those who are missing personal indexing digits on account of
not having heard of splitters and guards. Plans are available for a small
shipping and handing fee for WWCA ...or will be after they rip this off
also.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Old March 13th 05, 11:10 PM
Dave O'Heare

"Swingman" wrote in message

http://e-woodshop.net/files/PointyStickBillCap.JPG

Well, I'm not sure about the hat, but I think I've met the guy wearing
it....

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Old March 14th 05, 12:04 AM
Leon

"charlie b" wrote in message
To date, The Pointy Stick Compendium Project has only received
one, count 'em one, pointy stick contribution. Has the noble and
ancient art of pointy stick making almost died out. Are there
no pointy stick makers amongst us? Surely there are a few
neanders who have kept the craft alive. And someone out there
with a CNC machine has to have made at least one pointy stick.

So PLEASE, send your photos and drawings of YOUR pointy
stick. And if you would, try and keep the file size below
5 megs, 100K would be preferable. And some text describing
the stick, including the style, method of fabricating, wood
used and source of inspiration would be appreciated.

While on a reality check trip this weekend to the oldest town in Texas, I
found Pointy Sticks going for a little over $2 each at a large and old
hardware store. See a.b.p.w. for a picture.

Old March 14th 05, 04:57 PM
Lawrence Wasserman

Most of the pointy-stick manufacturing base has moved offshore now. In
fact, they are so cheaply made by foreign labor that Chinese
restaurants often give them away with meals!

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Old March 14th 05, 10:38 PM
patrick conroy

"charlie b" wrote in message

ancient art of pointy stick making almost died out. Are there
no pointy stick makers amongst us? Surely there are a few
neanders who have kept the craft alive. And someone out there
with a CNC machine has to have made at least one pointy stick.

Wal*Mart drove my PS business into the ground!
Damn you Sam!

Old March 14th 05, 11:49 PM
[email protected]

Mr. B.,
My great great Grandfather was a Pointy Stick Master Craftsman. I
recently found a photo of him with a partially completed Pointy Stick.
(He is the fellow wearing the hat)
http://www.ss.ca.gov/archives/level3_phguideimg6.html

Old March 15th 05, 05:33 AM
Dave O'Heare

"charlie b" wrote in message

Am anxiously awaiting a "can't lose it" pointy stick coming
from Australia. I'm told you can actually throw it away - and
it comes right back!

I had one of those once, but I never tried it; it was so bent in the middle
that it couldn't possibly have worked.

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Old March 15th 05, 11:34 AM
Peter Ashby

Dave O'Heare oheareATmagmaDOTca wrote:

"charlie b" wrote in message

Am anxiously awaiting a "can't lose it" pointy stick coming
from Australia. I'm told you can actually throw it away - and
it comes right back!

I had one of those once, but I never tried it; it was so bent in the middle
that it couldn't possibly have worked.

It only works when thrown at marsupials, did you try it on an oppossum?

Peter