Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:01:21 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

The problem with giving people the choice not to breed so much is
that, at a biological level, that's what we're designed to do.

By?

Depending on your beliefs, God, evolution and I expect you can combine
the two if you try hard enough. B-)

it's a fact that later menarche, frequent child bearing and long
lactation help to protect against some cancers.

Why am not surprised, frequent child birth etc is what the female form
is "designed" for. You don't have to go back all that far to find that
most women of child bearing age were almost premenantly pregnant and
gave birth to a dozen or more children but with child mortality at
well over 50% only a 3 or 4 of those babies made it to adulthood.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"AndrewR" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"AndrewR" wrote in message

The problem with giving people the choice not to breed so much is
that, at a biological level, that's what we're designed to do.

By?

By the simple principle that things that don't breed die out - I didn't
mean to imply intelligent design at work.

Ah, I thought you implied a superior being and that could never do!

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I'm in my forties and mum still says things like "Look, Guy, horses"
when we're out in the car.

And do you still say, "Mummy, what's that horse doing with that other
horse?"

No, but when I took her out for a drive in her car (she finds getting
into other people's cars tricky as they don't have extra grab-handles),
I drew the line at being told that she'd rather reverse her car down her
drive than let me do it "Because it's very difficult".

You mean you thought she wasn't up to it?

I suggested that perhaps she should let me move my BSM car out of the
way first.

How patronising :-)

Mary

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

AndrewR

Mary Fisher wrote:
"AndrewR" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"AndrewR" wrote in message

The problem with giving people the choice not to breed so much is
that, at a biological level, that's what we're designed to do.

By?

By the simple principle that things that don't breed die out - I
didn't mean to imply intelligent design at work.

Ah, I thought you implied a superior being and that could never do!

I find belief in a superior being impossible.

Not, I should say, on theological grounds - just because I'm pretty ****ing
amazing

--
AndrewR, D.Bot (Celeritas)
Kawasaki ZX-6R J1, Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo

Tash

To get a blue badge, I would have to apply for DLA. I would almost
certainly
get it too, but I manage without it, and don't want to be a further burden
on the system.

No you wouldn't all you have to do is apply to your local council, who would
send you a very simple form which takes two mins to fill in and send back,
then if you do in fact qualify you get a nice legal blue badge.

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:17:15 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I *broad* ...

Hey, who nicked me n!

Not me gov, I suspect it's still on your keybord somewhere.

Dam, I'm goig to have aother look for it.

Everything else is a bounus that makes life easier or more
comfortable.

But not necessarily.

True.

Hey! I've just found your 'n', it's inverted in 'bounus'!

Great, thanks Mary you are an angel.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:01:21 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

The problem with giving people the choice not to breed so much is
that, at a biological level, that's what we're designed to do.

By?

Depending on your beliefs, God, evolution and I expect you can combine
the two if you try hard enough. B-)

Not at all difficult.

it's a fact that later menarche, frequent child bearing and long
lactation help to protect against some cancers.

Why am not surprised, frequent child birth etc is what the female form
is "designed" for.

Indeed.

er - what's the 'etc.'?

You don't have to go back all that far to find that
most women of child bearing age were almost premenantly pregnant and
gave birth to a dozen or more children but with child mortality at
well over 50% only a 3 or 4 of those babies made it to adulthood.

That wasn't always true, it was during a largepart of the C19th but not in
earlier times. It still happens in some societies.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 22 May 2005 01:40:41 +0100, Alistair J Murray wrote:

Why is "I had to pop out to Tescos earlier today." possessive?

I think either
"I had to pop out to Tesco earlier today."
or
"I had to pop out to Tesco's earlier today."

is acceptable; the first because one is going to the local
manifestation of the entity "Tesco plc"

Yep, I agree with that.

the second because the possessed "shop" is implied.

Sorry lost me. Who or what is "possessing" Tesco, implied or not?

The apostrophe also implies something is missing doesn't it? In this
case a missing "comma his". The use of which is clumsy at best to
very clumsy hence the normal shortening.

"Fred's coat is red." - "Fred, his coat is red."

"I had to pop out to Tesco, his earlier today."

Definately doesn't work!

Come on where are all the expert English pedants out there when you
want one?

I'm here. And mostly I'm with you. But not definitely :-)

Mary

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Guy King

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

frequent child bearing and long lactation

I had to have several goes at not reading that as laceration.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Guy King

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

No, but when I took her out for a drive in her car (she finds getting
into other people's cars tricky as they don't have extra grab-handles),
I drew the line at being told that she'd rather reverse her car down her
drive than let me do it "Because it's very difficult".

You mean you thought she wasn't up to it?

No, it was 'cos I was already in the driving seat and it would take
getting on for minutes to swap.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Conor

In article , joe parkin
says...

A sign that says blue badge holder, would mean I could park there
because I hold my daughters, blue lapel badge?

Only if you want to confirm your stupidity by showing that you're
completley incapable of understanding the accompanying picture of a
wheelchair..the internationally recognised symbol for disabled.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , Dave
says...
joe parkin wrote:

A sign that says blue badge holder, would mean I could park there
because I hold my daughters, blue lapel badge?

Pedantically, yes :-)

What a dumb ****. The accompanying picture of a wheelchair not a big
enough clue?

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , joe parkin
says...

And without exception I have seen these "disabled " people climb easily
out of their top of the range luxury cars and stoll into the shops.

You'd see me get out of my car like that. However if you ask, I'll
quite happily show you the 8 inch scar that runs along my spine and the
results of my last MRI scan.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , Stuffed says...

You also need the means to find, habitalise or maintain the shelter, and the
means to attain the food. This requires "things". You then often need a way
of making these things, which requires more things. And before you know it,
your back to basics lifestyle is on a technological crusade, like it or not.

Oh dear. Lead a comfy life haven't you?

All you need is your bare hands and a bit of knowledge. With that you
can build a shelter and learn how to make traps/snares with nothing
more than a sharp stone and what a wooded area provides.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Steve Doney

Does it take post to four newsgroups for you insane lot to carry on your
discussion. None of this is helping me with diy, getting bargains,
maintaining my car or misc car related.

Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conor

In article , Andy Luckman
(AJL Electronics) says...

My sister in law's child will eat anything, provided it's chicken nuggets or
crisps. Now how do you think that happened? Seriously, she will eat nothing
else.

My 3 year old was like that. Solved the problem very easily by putting
the same meal as we had out for him and not giving him the option of
nuggets or crisps. They soon get hungry and the penny drops.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , RichardK says...

Doesn't Motability pay for the car, or at least a substantial amount?

Its basically a lease. If you damage it, you pay for the cost of the
repairs. Insurance convered a fair deal of it but there was the excess
to pay.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , Taz says...

I think it's called "stream of consiousness" typing Conor ;-) . Bloody
irritating though.

The sad part is that they usually have something worthwhile to say but
make it so hard to read that people just give up.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , Stuffed says...

Oh, I have social problems alright. Society has become a load of crap, and I
never thought for one second I'd be saying that before pension age

Don't know where you live but small towns (under 15000 people) seem to
have a decent community.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , Dave
says...

Having worked in the military side of the aerospace industry for well
over 25 years, I can state that there is no such thing as common sense.

Of course there is.

In life, just as in the aerospace industry, you need an authority to do
something, not just use common sense.

?????

One man's common sense is some one else's accident.

I give up.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , Dave
says...

Then take a look at the link above and see what definition 3 says :-)

Yes there are several definitions. The supermarket has made the mistake
of assuming people actually are capable of thinking for themselves.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , says...

I was in our local Asda at THREE THIRTY AM today and there wandering
around the store was mum and dad with a no older than three year old
child in a buggy screaming its head off would you believe . I went to
the store at that time to compleatly avoid the little *******s during
the day but now it seems there is NO escape from them .

Welcome to the 24 hour society perpetuated by people, like yourself,
wanting to be able to get anything whenever they want.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , Steve Doney
says...
Does it take post to four newsgroups for you insane lot to carry on your
discussion. None of this is helping me with diy, getting bargains,
maintaining my car or misc car related.

Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a decent newsreader which can filter/block the thread.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Conor

In article , says...

You missed the point no child of that age should be out at that time
of night/morning some parents are just not fit to have children .

Why? Have you ever had children?

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Conor

In article , says...

Exactly Conner outwardly I look ok today I know I am going to walk
into Sainsburys like there is nothing wrong with me today , tomorrow
and for the rest of the week I shall probably not be able to walk a
couple of yards especially if this rain keeps up .

I'll freely admit though that I did have the "Look! Nothing wrong with
him" attitude until it happened to me.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Andy Turner

On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:28:36 +0100, Conor
wrote:

In article , joe parkin
says...

And without exception I have seen these "disabled " people climb easily
out of their top of the range luxury cars and stoll into the shops.

You'd see me get out of my car like that. However if you ask, I'll
quite happily show you the 8 inch scar that runs along my spine and the
results of my last MRI scan.

But does that mean you need to use disabled spots? Surely they're not
just a 'bonus' for anyone who's disabled, they're there for people who
have trouble walking, for whatever reason.

andyt

Andy Turner

On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:39:19 +0100, Conor
wrote:

In article , Andy Turner
says...
On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:13:13 +0100, Conor
wrote:

In article , Andy Turner
says...

If the edge of a door hits the centre of a panel of another door it's
very much a weak spot in a door - it's easily dented.

Guess you've never had a decent car then? Decent as in "build quality".

Name me a car make or even model where you wouldn't expect that to
happen. One of these "decent" cars you allude to.

BMW E34 - took someone taking a running drop kick to put a dint in my
wifes..
Rover SD1.
Rover P6.

Volvo...any model.
Saab..any 900 series.

I'll have to see if I ever see a dented one. However, one of your list
has been disagreed with already. The conclusion however, is that it
seems most cars (ie , all the cars not in your list) will dent when
pranged with the force of an opening door. Remember that the edge of a
car door is a very small surface area compared to a person's foot (WRT
the "drop kick" above). Remember in school when they talked about
pressure and surface area?

Most cars with side impact bars.

A side impact bar (as the name suggests), doesn't cover the entire
door, and probably doesn't even sit right up against the door panel
anyway. You could still get a dent if the car gets hit with a trolley
or a door anywhere on the door panel.

andyt

Andy Turner

On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:46:19 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"RichardK" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

What upset me was that when I went indoors and dramatically told Spouse
that I'd crashed into something his response was to ask how much damage
there was to the car, he didn't ask if I was injured.

You clearly weren't injured. You were telling him what had happened.

Injuries don't always show.

If you were injured, you would have told him. *You* chose to tell him
about the car, so naturally he enquired about it. If you'd gone in and
said "I'm hurt! I've crashed the car and I'm hurt!", I imagine his
reaction would have been different.

andyt

Andy Turner

On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:33:04 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Turner" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 21 May 2005 10:05:37 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:16:42 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

Yes, if they also enforced a "no accompanied breeders" area where
one could park without someone else's little darlings denting the
car doors.

FFS it's only a car.

Yes, quite, and damaged bodywork only costs money when you come to sell
it, which is obviously totally unimportant. You won't mind if I rifle
through your wallet then?

sigh

A car is for going, stopping and carrying. That's all.

That's what it is *to you* - don't expect everyone else to have the
same attitude to cars as you.

You can keep it until it dies then get another. You don't HAVE to sell
it.

Why shouldn't they? People enjoy newer cars, people enjoy having the
newer advances in technology. Why wait until the car dies (which could
be 10 years+), before buying a different car?

LOL! And making someone else have something not good enough for you?

*Whatever* does this sentence mean? Who's been making someone else
have something?!

Someone once claimed that I'd scraped his bumper (!) in a car park and
that it would reduce the re-sale value.

Which, depending on the damage and the condition of the rest of the
car, it would.

I said that if he was as hard up as that I'd pay him for the repair
and gave him a cheque there and then.

I hope he took you up on the offer.

I didn't wait for him to take up the offer.

You did a runner? Why make the offer in the first place?

It's not a case of how hard up a person is, it's about you
damaging their property which costs them to have it fixed.

But I doubt that he had the 'damage' fixed.

That shouldn't be an issue to you. You've recompensed him for the loss
of value to his car. Whether he decides to use that money to get it
fixed, or simply accept that he'll get less for it when he sells it
(because the buyer will probably want to get it fixed), and keeps the
money to make up for it, is irrelevant to you. I'd suggest that if you
don't want to feel stung that he's not had the damage fixed, then just
be careful how you drive and how you (and your kids) swing open car
doors in the supermarket car park.

I have no respect for that attitude.

Or other people's property it would seem. No doubt there will be
something that you covet, perhaps your house or contents within that
you would be upset if someone needlessly damaged due to carelessness.
If someone accidentally stubbed a cigarette on out on the arm of your
sofa - hey it's only a sofa eh - just get a new one...

We don't have a sofa ... :-)
But if it did, it wouldn't prevent the sofa from keeping your bum off the
floor, which is its function.

That's its *primary* function. However, for most people it's also
supposed to be comfortable, clean and in decent condition - and a
cigarette burn in the arm negates at least two of those.

And if we did have cosmetic damage to anything which we were precious about
we'd repair it ourselves.

That's great if that's possible - but certainly it's not always
possible with a car door dint. I'd certainly worry about making it
worse.

I can't think of the last time that happened.

*Exactly* - that's because other people respect your stuff. What if
they didn't - and had exactly the "FFS it's only a..." attitude to the
stuff in your house. I think you'd soon get a little upset.

We're not replacing anything, we're trying to get rid of unecessary stuff.
With age comes wisdom.

Not that you're displaying Mary, only selfishness and a bizarre
self-centred attitude, it would seem. At the end of the day, you
cannot expect people to have the same attitude to their cars as you
have. You have to respect that and not think people aren't going to be
upset if you were to prang someone's pride and joy. You'd be just as
upset if someone did the same to something which you coveted in the
same way - it's just that in your case it's not your car.

andyt

Andy Turner

On Sat, 21 May 2005 16:11:35 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"AstraVanMan" wrote in message
Why shouldn't they? People enjoy newer cars, people enjoy having the
newer advances in technology. Why wait until the car dies (which could
be 10 years+), before buying a different car?

LOL! And making someone else have something not good enough for you?

If they're happy with what they're buying, and they've be honestly told
exactly what it is they're getting, then where's the problem? No-one's
forced at gunpoint to buy anything - if they choose to buy a 10-15 year
old
car, knowing exactly what it is and what small faults it has, then that's
their choice. As it is their choice as to exactly what they pay for it -
if
they can't buy it at a price that's acceptable to them, then they won't
buy
it. Simple really.

I said that if he was as hard up as that I'd pay him for the repair
and gave him a cheque there and then.

I hope he took you up on the offer.

I didn't wait for him to take up the offer.

Why not? If you damaged someone else's property, then it's only fair that
you pay for that damage.

You didn't read the post properly.

Are you saying that you *didn't* actually hit his car? How come he
thought you did? What was his proof? What's the story here?

andyt

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember raden saying
something like:

Nor should you put the sticker on the windscreen with silicone adhesive
as it will leave a smear which is next to impossible to remove over the
life of the windscreen. Whatever you do, don't stick polyurethane foam
up the exhaust, it's a very very bad thing to do.

takes notes

Ta; I must remember not to do those things.
--

Dave
SE6a
Andy Turner

On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:28:27 +0100, "AndrewR"
wrote:

It's also now the case that the average person in the UK has less than 1
child, so the population is actually shrinking slightly

Nah. Y'see, by virtue of people having too many kids, there's going to
be lots of people around who don't yet have kids of their own - which
gives the appearance of the average person having less than 1 child.
There's still an explosion going on.

which is the cause for some concern.

The explosion is the cause for concern. Personally I feel that couples
should only have two kids of their own.

andyt

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

He may be "in the wrong" legally. However there is now a two dimensional
infant that got that way only because of your actions with the pritt
stick. How do you feel about that?

****in' kids. It's easy to make another one.
--

Dave
SE6a

Mary Fisher

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Andy Luckman
(AJL Electronics) says...

My sister in law's child will eat anything, provided it's chicken nuggets
or
crisps. Now how do you think that happened? Seriously, she will eat
nothing
else.

My 3 year old was like that. Solved the problem very easily by putting
the same meal as we had out for him and not giving him the option of
nuggets or crisps. They soon get hungry and the penny drops.

Good for you.

But I do wonder how your child became addicted to the other stuff before
then.

Mary

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

AndrewR

wrote:

It's also now the case that the average person in the UK has less
than 1 child, so the population is actually shrinking slightly

Nah. Y'see, by virtue of people having too many kids, there's going to
be lots of people around who don't yet have kids of their own - which
gives the appearance of the average person having less than 1 child.
There's still an explosion going on.

Would you care to cite a source for this?

which is the cause for some concern.

The explosion is the cause for concern.

For whom? The only people I've heard expressing concern on this matter are
people who (a) ignore the facts and believe that an explosion is happening
and (b) people who ignore the facts and believe that we are dangerously
over-crowded.

Personally I feel that couples
should only have two kids of their own.

That's lovely. What would you do if they dared to have a third? Forced
termination? Forced adoption? Drown it in a bucket?

--
AndrewR, D.Bot (Celeritas)
Kawasaki ZX-6R J1, Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
BOTAFOT#2,ITJWTFO#6,UKRMRM#1/13a,MCT#1,DFV#2,SKoGA#0 (and KotL)
BotToS#5,SBS#25,IbW#34, DS#5, COSOC# Suspended, KotTFSTR#
The speccy Geordie ****.

Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

No, but when I took her out for a drive in her car (she finds getting
into other people's cars tricky as they don't have extra grab-handles),
I drew the line at being told that she'd rather reverse her car down
her
drive than let me do it "Because it's very difficult".

You mean you thought she wasn't up to it?

No, it was 'cos I was already in the driving seat and it would take
getting on for minutes to swap.

Oh.

I see.

I think.

I wonder what you did with the minutes you saved ...

Mary

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Mary Fisher

"Steve Doney" wrote in message
Does it take post to four newsgroups for you insane lot to carry on your
discussion. None of this is helping me with diy, getting bargains,
maintaining my car or misc car related.

Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!

er - no-one's forcing you to read anything, or even switch on your pc.

Take a hold of yourself, man, have some self discipline. If you carry on
reading what's here you'll end up as insane as we are.

Mary