Old February 27th 05, 05:18 PM
charlie b

Default The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
scattered all over hell. I’d like to create a compendium of that
information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to
contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following
questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the
subject line “The Pointy Stick Compendium Project”.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.

Sincerely

charlie b

Director
The
Pointy Stick Compendium Project

- Where can I find plans for a [ _______ ] Pointy Stick ?
point on the top
point on the bottom
point on the left end
point on the right end
right handed
left handed
-Whats the best way to make Pointy Sticks ?
(I only have $9,000 budgeted for tools)
- Anyone have plans for a jig to make Pointy Sticks that's:
cheap?
easy?
“high precision”?
- Where can I buy a jig to make Pointy Sticks
that’s cheap?
that’s easy to use?
that is mirco adjustable?
- What makes a good Pointy Stick good?
how long should the point be?
can The Golden Mean be applied to Pointy Stick design?
should I put a micro point on my Pointy Stick?
are Japanese laminated point Pointy Sticks worth the extra money?
- Who makes the best Pointy Stick and why?
- Should I try and find a Pointy Stick at a flea market and
restore it or should I just bite the bullet and order a
LIe NIelsen Pointy Stick?
- Has anyone seen or actually used the new Veritas Pointy Stick?
- What wood should I use for my Pointy Stick?
hard hardwood?
soft hardwood?
hard softwood?
soft softwood?
what about laminated Pointy Sticks?
- Is Grain Orientation important for Pointy Sticks and, if so,
how should the grain be oriented relative to the long axis
of the Pointy Stick?
- Is fire hardening the tip worth it?
- Is it really necessary to polish the tip of my Pointy Stick
or can I stop at 6000 grit?
- Should I put a finish on my Pointed Stick and, if so,
what is the best finish to use on my Pointy Stick?
- My Pointy Stick split. Any way to repair it or should I just
start all over?
- I picked up a Pointy Stick at a garage sale/ was given my
great great great grandfather’s / grandmother’s Pointy Stick/
dug up an old Pointy Stick while digging a new outhouse
hole / dug up an old Pointy Stick while searching for bottles
in an OLD outhouse hole:
where can I find a manual for it?
how do I get the dirt/paint/motor oil/blood/? off / out of it?
anyone know how to tell the age of a Pointy Stick?
is there anyway to find out who made it?
- Where do you get ideas for your Pointy Sticks
- Who, in your opinion, was, or is, the best Pointy Stick maker
- Opinions of Gary Knox Bennett’s Pointy Sticks
- Has James Krenov ever made a Pointy Stick

Please feel free to add to this list and/or answer any of the
above questions.

Here's a footnote from The Origins of the Pointy Stick section
of the compendium

*1 Whittting: a fundamentalist form of woodworking. Practioners are
known as Widdlers in South Eastern North America, Whittlers in most of
the rest of North America except parts of eastern Canada, Whytthlaeres
in England, Witliers in Frahnz and the eastern parts of Canada,
Dasdudeseinsliecendevoodmiteinkniphenteule in the former Austrian Empire
and “squiggly line, two dots, a slashing curved line with a hook on the
end and three dots over it” in Arabic

Whittlers predate The Era of Roy. Some Poiinty Stick historians believe
the Whittlers were themselves predated by the Stone Rubbers and a theory
is developing which involves “gnawing” and the use of prehistoric beaver
teeth as tools. Beavers are thought to be the inspiration for the
Pointy Stick Concept.

Old February 27th 05, 07:37 PM
jo4hn

charlie b wrote:
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
scattered all over hell. I’d like to create a compendium of that
information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to
contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following
questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the
subject line “The Pointy Stick Compendium Project”.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.

Sincerely

charlie b

Director

[snip of funny stuff]

Great idea. But don't forget those of us who have purchased an "el
cheapo" at Harbor Fright/Northern Tool/Canadian Tire for a buck two
ninety-eight. It won't last as long as the PC/PM/yellow tool version
but may be only slightly worse than the Griz PS5500. Or should I have
gone with the guy at the Borg's advice and bought the Binford R60?

mahalo,
jo4hn
Old February 27th 05, 08:59 PM
J T

Sun, Feb 27, 2005, 8:18am (EST-3) (charlie=A0b)
says:
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks snip

Just remember, someone is always going to be careless.
http://www.castleofspirits.com/impaled.gif

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

Old February 27th 05, 09:03 PM
Lee Michaels

"jo4hn" wrote in message
nk.net...
charlie b wrote:
[...]

The Binford R60?

Wasn't that rcommended by Tim the Toolman Taylor?

Old February 27th 05, 10:18 PM
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:59:47 -0500, (J T) wrote:

Sun, Feb 27, 2005, 8:18am (EST-3)
(charlie*b)
says:
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks snip

Just remember, someone is always going to be careless.
http://www.castleofspirits.com/impaled.gif

That seems to fall along the lines of "just remember, someone will always
figure out a way to mis-use what is built. Try the following for someone
being careless, even the originator of the pointy-stick gets careless.

http://www.ezee-life.com/powerpoint/beaver.pps

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Old February 27th 05, 10:34 PM
Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:45:06 -0500, Tom Watson wrote:

Would that glory which was Rome have been so glorious without the pointy
stick to stake the tents of its vast armies?

Did not the Pre-Socratics base their sacred geometry, resulting in the
golden mean, on the first iterations of the pointy stick?

Let us not forget the skewering of countless barbarians by the Roman
legions. Or for that matter, the post-Socratic uses of pointy sticks by
the Macedonian phalanxes.

And the very Egyptians, themselves, contemplating the true point of a
properly rendered pointy stick; did they not acquire their understanding
of the pyramids through careful consideration of its geometrical
pointyness?

We also need to credit the creators of the pointy stick, the original
Neandertals, whose [who's in wreckspeak] Mousterian tools, scientists have
discovered through microwear analysis, mainly show evidence of
wooddorking.

Not only did the pointy stick allow them to feed themselves by murdering
the mighty mammoth and other gentle tundra creatures, but also to clothe
themselves with their skins.

Nor should we forget the use of the pointy stick in the development of
agriculture where it was used both to plant seeds and harvest root crops.

The much derided humble pointy stick truly deserves whatever paean we give
it. It is at the base of all our human achievements, including the murder
of animals, plants and other humans and hence responsible for our
civilization. Ultimately, all our tools are merely extensions of the
pointy stick.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

Old February 27th 05, 11:04 PM
Robatoy

In article et,
jo4hn wrote:

charlie b wrote:
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
scattered all over hell. I¹d like to create a compendium of that
information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to
contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following
questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the
subject line ³The Pointy Stick Compendium Project².

Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.

Sincerely

charlie b

Director

[snip of funny stuff]

Great idea. But don't forget those of us who have purchased an "el
cheapo" at Harbor Fright/Northern Tool/Canadian Tire for a buck two
ninety-eight. It won't last as long as the PC/PM/yellow tool version
but may be only slightly worse than the Griz PS5500. Or should I have
gone with the guy at the Borg's advice and bought the Binford R60?

mahalo,
jo4hn

I generally suggest to consider the Fesstoolwerks Pfointy Schtick from
Germany. Not only does it have a 3 year warranty, it has two, count'em,
TWO ends. AFAIK, they are the only company who make oxygen free pointy
sticks.
Old February 27th 05, 11:07 PM
Wood Butcher

Great start Charlie.
Here's a few more.

How do I stain my pine pointy stick to look like cherry?
Is wipe-on poly good for pointy sticks?
Can I BBQ with my pointy stick and what oil should I use so it is food safe?
Do I need Norms duplicator lathe to make a pointy stick?
If I take my pointy stick to Europe will it work on their electricity?
What kind of pointy stick does GW Bush have?
Pointy sticks are dangerous and legislation is needed to force the use of the new
"Point Stop" technology.
My pointy stick is in .rar format and I can't see it. What do I do?
Hi. First time poster here. What's a pointy stick?

Art

Old February 28th 05, 12:24 AM
Tom O'Connor

I hve made a cherry pointy stick should I pant it? Thanks

Old February 28th 05, 01:28 AM
J.B. Bobbitt

I've decided to make a Pointy Stick, and I've got the following
questions/comments:

Should I buy a Stanley No. 5 off E-bay, or slap down the cash for a
Lie-Nielsen? Or get one of Steve Knight's?

Has JOAT posted free plans for a Pointy Stick, or do I have to buy the
plans?

Will SWMBO want her own Pointy Stick after she sees mine?

What kind of Pointy Stick would Tage Frid/Krenov/Tom Plamann come up with?

What kind of lighting/heating/dust collection system should I put in my shop
to make Pointy Sticks?

Has Tom Watson written any hilarious stories about Pointy Sticks?

Where can I get custom-made brass hardware for my Pointy Stick?

Will LROD correct my usage of capitalization when I write "Pointy Stick"?

I went to the local woodworker's show to see the Pointy Stick stuff and
thought the admission and parking fee were too high.

Do I HAVE to use quarter-sawn oak to make a Craftsman-style Pointy Stick?

I think we ought to call Pointy Sticks "Pointed Sticks". It sounds less
foo-foo.

I've been putting copious amounts of Danish oil on my Pointed Stick for
several days and its all gooey. What did I do wrong?

While I was making an Pointy Stick, I had a kick-back on my table saw and
the Pointy Stick got thrown back through my mid-section and skewered me to
the shop wall. What should I do now? (Pics on ABPW)

What kind of wood is this Pointy Stick made out of? (Pics on ABPW)

I just finished a Pointy Stick for my first
daughter/son/grandaughter/grandson/&tc.!!!!! (Pics on ABPW).

Does Puppy Wizard know what Pointy Sticks are for?

I though I saw a Pointy Stick project described in Shopnotes. Has Krunchy
posted them in ABPW yet?