Montyhp

Default RatsnFratsn@#*$& Harbor Freight double stick tape

I just tried some of the harbor freight double stick tape that I got for
$9.99 for 6 rolls. This is not the same as the cheap double stick tape from
Lowe's. It is just a layer of thick adhesive between the layers of paper.
I put it on a mandolin top to stick it to the table to carve out the inside.
After about 5 minutes of trying to peel off the top layer, I figured out
what was going on. The tape didn't stick the wood to the table, but the
tape stuck to the wood like a SOB. Wouldn't peel off, wouldn't scrape off.
Mineral spirits turned it to snot (well most of it, there is still a layer
of residue on top of the mandolin soundboard. What a mess.

Definite thumbs down.

Montyhp

Bob S.

......buy another 6 rolls...then you'll have an even dozen to chuck over the
fence...

Greg

Thanks for the review....I use the hell out of carpet tape for all
kinds of stuff. Got any pics of the mando? I've got the beginnings
of one I started but haven't gotten too far....SWMBO keeps me way busy
with projects. I'm doing a flat top first but have a great piece of
spruce I'm saving up for when I do attempt a carved top.

Greg

"Montyhp" montyhp at yahoo.com wrote in message ...
I just tried some of the harbor freight double stick tape that I got for
$9.99 for 6 rolls. This is not the same as the cheap double stick tape from
Lowe's. It is just a layer of thick adhesive between the layers of paper.
I put it on a mandolin top to stick it to the table to carve out the inside.
After about 5 minutes of trying to peel off the top layer, I figured out
what was going on. The tape didn't stick the wood to the table, but the
tape stuck to the wood like a SOB. Wouldn't peel off, wouldn't scrape off.
Mineral spirits turned it to snot (well most of it, there is still a layer
of residue on top of the mandolin soundboard. What a mess.

Definite thumbs down.

Montyhp

Montyhp

Default Mandolin, was: RatsnFratsn@#*$& Harbor Freight double stick tape

Greg,
Right now I am prototyping my first ever mandolin (first instrument of any
kind, really). It is a reproduction of an F-5 based on Siminoff's book. I
know an archtop is challenging, but it needs to be special as the final
product is going to be a retirement present for a good friend. The
prototype has a doug fir soundboard and will have a cherry back, sides, and
walnut/cherry laminated neck. The final instrument will have a spruce
soundboard and curly maple back and sides. I hope to do a nice bald eagle
head inlay on the peghead and feather shaped Mother of Pearl fret markers.

No pics yet. Maybe in a month or so.

Montyhp
om...