Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Science Quiz

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 5:04:57 PM UTC-7, rangerssuck wrote:
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 7:04:05 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

THIS is the crap that our Bastions of Science are offering up as a

reasonable test of "Scientific Knowlege"!

If any adult or child over the age of 13 doesn't know - to the CORE of

their being - every one of these things, then they have the mental

capacity of a gopher tortoise -- or their "teachures" do.

(13 of 13 in my friggin' SLEEP)

Lloyd

I wish this wasn't usenet, so I could give this post a +1 or a "like" or a thumbs up, or something. As I said above, I was waiting for a punchline at the end of the 13 questions.

I wish LinkedIn gave me the choice to turn off "likes" or "thumbs up" for my LinkedIn group because it's an easy out for those who can't communicate jack ****.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/11/2013 7:11 AM, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

12 out of 13
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:27:00 AM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 00:06:57 -0700 (PDT), BottleBob

That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume that
means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell you
which ones you missed.

They do..just click on the Review button and it takes you back through
the quiz and shows you the right and wrong answers.

Gunner:

Ahh yes, I see it now. Since I had already deleted the test, I redid it to see which ones I missed. Thanks.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Some machine with skill
Others for the thrill
A few machine with flair
Many don't even care
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BottleBob fired this volley in news:354034e3-8aa8-
:

Here is my response after being forwarded this "gem" of a quiz:

That's how I feel about it, also, but you expressed it better.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:13:25 AM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:32:40 AM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

"It's unfortunate that you feel that way."

It's not an opinion it's a fact. Feelings have nothing to do with it.

Jon:

Let's take a closer look at this. You said: "Common courtesy
doesn't exist on Usenet." For that to be true ALL participants
in Usenet would have to continuously act in an uncivil
or discourteous manner. That doesn't happen since innumerable
examples of courteousness & civility exist. So your statement is NOT
describing a universal & unwavering condition of Usenet. It's an
interpretation from your own perspective... IOW your opinion.

"And being as that particular question appears to be the one that is
missed most often... it can skew the results."

Rather than pat ourselves on the back for getting perfect or near
perfect scores it would make a lot more sense to do what you did and ask
why do so many miss this question. My answer is that it's not emphasized
enough in school like other topics are.

I believe you're correct in that assessment. Many people think "oxygen" is synonymous with "air", since everyone knows our bodies need oxygen to
breathe, and we breathe air.

"Metalworking topics may be on life support, but IMO given a little
nurturing I think they could be revived."

Not a chance. Usenet doesn't attract the needed newbies with an interest
in home shop CNC machining and CADCAM. That's now all gone to
advertising driven forums. One day that will change and there will be
advertising free groups that will be started and run by home shop
machinists, probably using a network much like LinkedIn has created for
professionals.

LinkedIn is now where all the best professional CNC machining and CADCAM
discussion happens.

I think you forget that RCM is a HOBBY metalworking group (and not
even strictly a "machining" group in the strictest sense), certainly not
a professional CNC machining CAD/CAM group such as AMC was.
IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment. We could
take a survey...

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Our differences make
For give and take
Diversity's tension
The Zen of contention

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:21:05 AM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 5:04:57 PM UTC-7, rangerssuck wrote:

I wish this wasn't usenet, so I could give this post a +1 or a "like" or a thumbs up, or something. As I said above, I was waiting for a punchline at the end of the 13 questions.

I wish LinkedIn gave me the choice to turn off "likes" or "thumbs up" for my LinkedIn group because it's an easy out for those who can't communicate jack ****.

Not to drag this too far off topic (as if it wasn't already), being able to express your agreement or appreciation for someone else's writing without writing an extended comment yourself isn't necessarily and "easy out." It can be, on the other hand, a very succinct and economical way of communicating your opinion.

On the other hand, you may be one of those who believe that there are no yes/no questions, and everything is an essay question. Can you imagine the process if every vote taken, from the passing of bills in Congress to the November elections to ordering at McDonalds required a written opinion? Sometimes it's just better to click a button to cast your vote.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 01:18:10 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 23:00:45 -0700, Ollie wrote:

On 11/02/2013 02:41 PM, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much
science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13
questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

I got 3 wrong on the multiple gear/ multiple pulley sections of the
mechanical aptitude test. all else correct.

I dont deal with them very often and after reviewing the test...could
see my errors quite plainly.

Sigh

I missed 5 but the review page got hosed and wouldn't show what I
missed, damnit. I think it may have been the multiple pulleys which
got me, too.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 06:58:04 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

BottleBob fired this volley in news:5c691859-
:

IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment. We could
take a survey...

I think it would have been safe to say that ten years ago. Today... I'm
not so sure it wouldn't be better worded "A minority of 'Home Shops'...".

I'd go with "A minority but increasing number of 'home shops'..."

Advertising, cheap low-end stepper-driven machines from China, and ARM
processors have made the entire category of CNC more common and more
affordable.

Now... 'Home Shops' that have big CNC iron are fewer, to be sure! But
even that's becoming more common as conversions become simpler and less
expensive to do.

'Cept for Iggy's Big Arn shop, and he did the conversion himself.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 19:32:19 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

OK, without Googling, what is a Plasmid?

A small plastic pyramid. If you sleep in it, you will never age.

That's a scam. They fully pre-age you before putting you in it.
http://files.myopera.com/Mudi25/albu...-ramses-ii.jpg

I expected him to look more imposing like Yul Brynner:
http://thelexicans.files.wordpress.c...mses.jpg?w=377
the Mongolian Pharoah.

--Imhotep

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:58:04 AM UTC-8, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

BottleBob fired this volley in news:5c691859-

:

IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment. We could
take a survey...

I think it would have been safe to say that ten years ago. Today... I'm
not so sure it wouldn't be better worded "A minority of 'Home Shops'...".

Advertising, cheap low-end stepper-driven machines from China, and ARM
processors have made the entire category of CNC more common and more
affordable.

Now... 'Home Shops' that have big CNC iron are fewer, to be sure! But
even that's becoming more common as conversions become simpler and less
expensive to do.

Lloyd

Lloyd:

Hmmm, OK. I'll go with "A minority of 'Home Shops'..." in the future if that's more accurate.
I hear RogerN talking about his CNC machine, along with his manual machines, but I don't hear many others talking about their CNC equipment, so I figured that Roger was an anomaly.

Just a bit of personal info, I have a CNC Sherline I bought some 10 odd years ago, about 5 years before I retired. It's still in the boxes it came in. Not sure that toy even qualifies as a real CNC machine. LOL

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Respect is not casually "given", it is earned
Respect yourself. Is the first lesson learned
If you aren't getting the amount you're due
Then you should look honestly inside of you
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/3/2013 01:00, Ollie wrote:
On 11/02/2013 02:41 PM, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much
science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13
questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Only missed one, the fans.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

What shocked me about the OP's quiz was that only 31% or college
grads
got the atmosphere composition right. Then I relfected on all the
grads I know who took the absolute minimum number of science credits
required for their degrees in economics or English or education.
But
it's still a pathetic number.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

In my college days the liberal arts majors used Astronomy for the easy
passing grade.

Then again, I took Theatre to satisfy the Humanities requirement
because the prof never assigned written homework (to actors and
dancers???) and accepted any lame BS we came up with ("artistic
freedom") when called on in class. Theatre is about how misfits abuse
those they envy which you should know from kindergarten, or the
political rants here.

There was also the eye candy factor.

For scheduling reasons I took Statistics in the Liberal Arts
department. That was another no-study passing grade for the
math-impaired, but I was too far along when I realized it wasn't going
to be very useful. And the explanations of the many ways to rig a
"random" survey were interesting. One was to call homes during working
hours, which overly weights the responses with the retired and
unemployed.

It's quite disconcerting to pollsters that I can mentally calculate
the error margin for their sample size while talking to them, even
more so if they know it's the reciprocal of a square root.

There was an order of magnitude's difference between the intellectual
demands in the Engineering and Liberal Arts curricula. A science
degree proved that you could comprehend and extend what you'd learned,
a liberal arts one that you could memorize.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BottleBob" wrote in message

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:00:45 PM UTC-7, Ollie wrote:

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Ollie:

That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume that
means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell you which
ones you missed.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I only got 90 but I think the creator of the test didn't do any better.

On the gears, if it's a gear drive, it's not a direct drive, and the two
equal size gears, one gear is rotating reverse from the other. All reverse
rotation except the one with 3 gears. So there was reverse and reduction,
reverse and overdrive, reverse, and reduction without reverse.

On the pulleys, there was a direct lift, pulley with force at right angle,
and pulley with force down, unless you have miracle pulleys with zero
friction, the direct lift takes less force. I ignored the friction of the
pulleys and weight of the rope and picked the answer they wanted.

On other pulley's they showed the force with the rope at an angle, not
straight vertical. Their answer they were looking for was only correct with
a straight vertical pull with no horizontal component.

I missed one because I didn't enlarge the image and thought the lever was
being lifted by the wrong end, I thought the fulcrum was an arrow showing
lifting up.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:42:45 AM UTC-8, BottleBob wrote:

"IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment."

Right, they've all vanished from this group and are now on advertising based machining and CADCAM forums just like I said.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Got them all right but wan't so sure about the gas. Its amazing how ignorant people are after years of "education"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BottleBob" wrote in message
Just a bit of personal info, I have a CNC Sherline I bought some 10
odd years ago, about 5 years before I retired. It's still in the
boxes it came in. Not sure that toy even qualifies as a real CNC
machine. LOL
BottleBob

I used a ProtoTrak Bridgeport to modify Segway castings for
experiments and found that I liked the old manual layout and nachining
methods better. There was no flat surface to establish an X or Y zero
and the drawing referenced "See the pattern" for much of the detail,
like the battery mounting bosses. The slew knob wasn't nearly as
ergonomic as table handwheels. For poorly defined one-time jobs not
that different from the custom-fitted tools and repair parts I make at
home it was less convenient than a manual mill.

When I had to drill mounting holes for a circuit board made on a CAD
system I printed a listing of the hole coordinates and drilled them by
the DRO since the circuit board Excellon drill file format was
incompatible.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BottleBob wrote:
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:00:45 PM UTC-7, Ollie wrote:
Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Ollie:

That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume
that means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell
you which ones you missed.

Click the button in the lower left that shows the table of contents.
That will show you which ones you missed.

Got them all correct, BUT didn't like their descriptions for the drive
gear types.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:00:45 PM UTC-7, Ollie wrote:

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Ollie:

That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume that means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell you which ones you missed.

There are about 4 that are a bit ambiguous - where you (and I) likely
outhought ourselves. One was the gear ratio question where several
were reversed - overdrive and reduction, as well as direct, and only
ONE was a non-reversing ratio (a reduction). Otherwise a much better
test than the science one. The pulley one likely got me
too.(multi-sheave)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 00:06:57 -0700 (PDT), BottleBob
There are about 4 that are a bit ambiguous - where you (and I)
likely
outhought ourselves. One was the gear ratio question where several
were reversed - overdrive and reduction, as well as direct, and only
ONE was a non-reversing ratio (a reduction). Otherwise a much better
test than the science one. The pulley one likely got me
too.(multi-sheave)

That tested if you had ever rebuilt a manual transmission rather than
general gear theory, because of the implicit reversal of rotation in
forward gears.

I get into trouble on tests like that when I see variables where they
assumed constants, like the thickness of the balloon rubber.

-jsw, 2 wrong

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 06:58:04 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

BottleBob fired this volley in news:5c691859-
:

IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment. We could
take a survey...

I think it would have been safe to say that ten years ago. Today... I'm
not so sure it wouldn't be better worded "A minority of 'Home Shops'...".

Advertising, cheap low-end stepper-driven machines from China, and ARM
processors have made the entire category of CNC more common and more
affordable.

Now... 'Home Shops' that have big CNC iron are fewer, to be sure! But
even that's becoming more common as conversions become simpler and less
expensive to do.

Lloyd

Not to mention as American machine shops slow and close...their older
less desirable (slower) machines are showing up in hobby shops all
across America. And for very very little money. Go to auctions..and
its not the pros and dealers who are buying CNC Bridgeports and
similar machines..its hobby guys.

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

And for very very little money. Go to auctions..and
its not the pros and dealers who are buying CNC Bridgeports and
similar machines..its hobby guys.

I was a "hobby guy" when I bought my first CNC mill... an old, NOT worn,
but electronically broke R2E4.

That was an epiphany for me. I had a full-up commercial/industrial
machine, WORKING (after a few tens of hours of troubleshooting) for under
$3000. That cost included the purchase price, the transport 120 miles to
my shop, the wrecker to boom it off the trailer, and the repairs.

I think I spent more on original paper manuals and tooling than I did on
the machine itself. And it's a 'keeper', especially since the lightning
hit that required a retrofit to CentroidCNC. It's now faster, more
accurate, and reliable!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:53:42 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

Too bad there aren't a lot of "hobby" well drillers. A local driller
was closed down by the bank last week - brand new 1.7 million dollar
drill rig which had only dug one hole went for just about $500grand..
I wasn't there or I could have picked up a 2010 Ford escape in prime
condition for $3500 - the pickups all went for under $2500 (newest was
2010 with about 35000 miles on it) and 8 brand new office furniture
sets (modular l shaped high end wood grain, with bookshelves etc -with
office chairs - complete - less than 3 months old, went for TWENTY
FIVE BUCKS - for all 8!!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-11-03, BottleBob wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:58:04 AM UTC-8, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

[ ... ]

Advertising, cheap low-end stepper-driven machines from China, and ARM
processors have made the entire category of CNC more common and more
affordable.

Now... 'Home Shops' that have big CNC iron are fewer, to be sure! But
even that's becoming more common as conversions become simpler and less
expensive to do.

Hmmm, OK. I'll go with "A minority of 'Home Shops'..." in the future
if that's more accurate.

I hear RogerN talking about his CNC machine, along with his manual
machines, but I don't hear many others talking about their CNC
equipment, so I figured that Roger was an anomaly.

I have (and use) a small CNC lathe (The Emco-Maier
Compact-5/CNC). I also have a Bridgeport which started live as a
stepper-based CNC, which I was converting to servo motors, before a fire
set me back a ways. I'll get back to that as time goes on.

Just a bit of personal info, I have a CNC Sherline I bought some 10
odd years ago, about 5 years before I retired. It's still in the boxes
it came in. Not sure that toy even qualifies as a real CNC machine.

Well ... I've gotten a lot of use out of the little
Compact-5/CNC, even though it is rather slow. Among other things, it is
the easiest way *I* have to cut metric threads at present. The 12x24"
Clausing manual machine has a set of transposition gears, but is a real
pain, because the half-nuts need to be kept closed from the start of the
thread until it is complete.

But some other things which I started doing on the little CNC
lathe turned out to be a lot quicker on the Clausing, using a bed
turret, and Geometric die head among other things.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:53:42 -0800
[...]

Friend/classmate bought a Cincinnati #1 vertical mill. Cost him
more to ship it than to buy it, much less than two grand total. Got
it set up and discovered that it had a swivel table (brain fart, can't
recall the technical name for such a thing - the entire worktable
pivoted) as an added bonus.

He was happy.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 02 Nov 2013 22:08:22 -0700
On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 02:54:13 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

BottleBob wrote in news:dcbc88ab-935f-4e99-aaef-e800e60a4941
:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only

7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers

and spoil it for others.

13 for 13 -- thought the answers were all pretty obvious.

Big ol dummy me got 13-13. I kept looking for trick questions and
didnt find any.

I brain farted one of them.

Only 7% of the public got them all correct????????

Of those asked.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-11-03, Ollie wrote:
On 11/02/2013 02:41 PM, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much
science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13
questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

460 points -- 92% -- with the problem that it is showing up too
small on my screen, and I got a sound (only) when making one submission.
I'm not sure whether I got that wrong, or just mis-checked.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:00:45 PM UTC-7, Ollie wrote:

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Ollie:

That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume that means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell you which ones you missed.

They do..just click on the Review button and it takes you back through
the quiz and shows you the right and wrong answers.

Depends. I got a "you are not allowed to visit this page" after
clicking to get the scores.

And there was one question (I guess that I should not say
anything else about it) for which I could see only answers that I
considered wrong, so I selected the one which I considered least wrong. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-11-03, Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/3/2013 01:00, Ollie wrote:
On 11/02/2013 02:41 PM, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much
science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13
questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Only missed one, the fans.

And that one was ambiguous, too. Are they asking whether the
two fans, as they sit, are rotating the same or opposite directions as
viewed from one fixed point, or as compared to the normal running
direction?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:59:26 PM UTC-8, DoN. Nichols wrote:

I have (and use) a small CNC lathe (The Emco-Maier
Compact-5/CNC). I also have a Bridgeport which started live as a
stepper-based CNC, which I was converting to servo motors, before a fire
set me back a ways. I'll get back to that as time goes on.

Don:

Coincidentally, I had a little Yellow Compact Lathe (NOT CNC though).

Just a bit of personal info, I have a CNC Sherline I bought some 10
odd years ago, about 5 years before I retired. It's still in the boxes
it came in. Not sure that toy even qualifies as a real CNC machine.

Well ... I've gotten a lot of use out of the little
Compact-5/CNC, even though it is rather slow. Among other things, it is
the easiest way *I* have to cut metric threads at present. The 12x24"
Clausing manual machine has a set of transposition gears, but is a real
pain, because the half-nuts need to be kept closed from the start of the
thread until it is complete.

But some other things which I started doing on the little CNC
lathe turned out to be a lot quicker on the Clausing, using a bed
turret, and Geometric die head among other things.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I now see what you and Lloyd meant with your suggestion for going with "A minority of 'Home Shops'..." as regards CNC machines.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

People who inquire
Are souls who aspire
Those who don't
Are fools with a prior
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/2/2013 9:18 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 18:02:31 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:41:41 -0700 (PDT), BottleBob
wrote:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

I got my sex wrong.

I got 13/13 here, too.

P.S: You should try -women- next time, Ned.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

I left the sex question blank...I was confused.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

@googlegroups.com:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only

7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers

and spoil it for others.

13 for 13 -- thought the answers were all pretty obvious.

Big ol dummy me got 13-13. I kept looking for trick questions and
didnt find any.

Only 7% of the public got them all correct????????

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Think of the typical voter, then cry.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/3/2013 3:18 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Another day at the shop, but I had to get my reading glasses for some.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:34:33 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

"universal table"

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-11-04, BottleBob wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:59:26 PM UTC-8, DoN. Nichols wrote:

I have (and use) a small CNC lathe (The Emco-Maier
Compact-5/CNC). I also have a Bridgeport which started live as a
stepper-based CNC, which I was converting to servo motors, before a fire
set me back a ways. I'll get back to that as time goes on.

Don:

Coincidentally, I had a little Yellow Compact Lathe (NOT CNC though).

Mine is yellow -- though later ones were gray or red (or
perhaps a combination of the two).

It could have been a lot faster with a better choice of CPU. It
runs from a 6502 (what was used in the Apple ][ and the Commodore Pet
among other home computers. In particular, while it has Carbide inserts
for many things including threading, it is necessary to slow the spindle
speed down to about 200 RPM or lower for moderately coarse threading such
as 20 TPI or 1 mm pitch. Leave the spindle speed faster, and it
displays an error message on the CRT (if present -- that is an option),
and some error number on the LED readout display. Turn down the
spindle speed, and it starts threading. The spindle has an index plate
to show it where it is in its rotation, and the lathe has to compute
at which index hole it makes its next step. (And, it does everything
internally in metric units, though it will accept commands in inch
units. And it is a little more precise in metric units. Steps of
0.01mm or 0.002" and when stepping manually in inch mode. sometimes it
is two ticks before the next figure displays, sometimes one.

And the program format is insanely picky. Decimal point
location is implied, not displayed. and if you lose a space out of a
line of code, everything is multipled by 10 because of the position.
Here is what the start of a program looks like:

%
N` G` X ` Z ` F` H
00 90
01 92 1904 00
02M03
03 84 1900 - 5000 15 00
04 84 1650 - 1000 10 05
05 01 1850 - 1000 10
06 25 L 22

and the end:

21M30
22 01 1900 - 4832 10
23 00 1900 - 1000
24M17
The 'M' standing alone on the last line tells it that the program is in
metric units. Inch units have a '"' there instead.

[ ... ]

But some other things which I started doing on the little CNC
lathe turned out to be a lot quicker on the Clausing, using a bed
turret, and Geometric die head among other things.

I now see what you and Lloyd meant with your suggestion for going with
"A minority of 'Home Shops'..." as regards CNC machines.

Indeed. And several of the others in the local metalworking
club have modified small lathes or desktop mills to be CNC as well.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 8:38:21 PM UTC-8, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[...]

Since it cuts better in metric... have you tried to cut inch threads in their metric equivalent? Like 20 Threads Per Inch = an inch pitch of .050 OR a metric pitch of 1.27mm.

Here's a site with a list of pitch conversions to metric.

http://www.newmantools.com/tech/pitchconversions.htm

And the program format is insanely picky. Decimal point
location is implied, not displayed. and if you lose a space out of a
line of code, everything is multipled by 10 because of the position.
Here is what the start of a program looks like:

Heh, yeah. If memory serves, that's the old NC "Full Address" format. Sometimes they had following zero suppression, and sometimes leading zero suppression. Just be glad you don't have to use a Flexiwriter and punch your programs out on paper tape and THEN take the tape over to your machine and feed it into your tape reader. Ahh the good ol' days... Just kidding, those days were miserable compared to modern machines and CAM systems that do all the grunt work for you.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Ways to machine?
Some are obscene
Many are routine
A few seem from the Pleistocene

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:15:27 -0800
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, one of them things.

He didn't realize it had one till he "got it home" and set up.

--
pyotr filipivich