Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Science Quiz

"BottleBob" wrote in message

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:00:45 PM UTC-7, Ollie wrote:

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Ollie:

That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume that
means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell you which
ones you missed.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I only got 90 but I think the creator of the test didn't do any better.

On the gears, if it's a gear drive, it's not a direct drive, and the two
equal size gears, one gear is rotating reverse from the other. All reverse
rotation except the one with 3 gears. So there was reverse and reduction,
reverse and overdrive, reverse, and reduction without reverse.

On the pulleys, there was a direct lift, pulley with force at right angle,
and pulley with force down, unless you have miracle pulleys with zero
friction, the direct lift takes less force. I ignored the friction of the
pulleys and weight of the rope and picked the answer they wanted.

On other pulley's they showed the force with the rope at an angle, not
straight vertical. Their answer they were looking for was only correct with
a straight vertical pull with no horizontal component.

I missed one because I didn't enlarge the image and thought the lever was
being lifted by the wrong end, I thought the fulcrum was an arrow showing
lifting up.

RogerN