Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Science Quiz

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:53:42 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 06:58:04 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

BottleBob fired this volley in news:5c691859-
:

IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment. We could
take a survey...

I think it would have been safe to say that ten years ago. Today... I'm
not so sure it wouldn't be better worded "A minority of 'Home Shops'...".

Advertising, cheap low-end stepper-driven machines from China, and ARM
processors have made the entire category of CNC more common and more
affordable.

Now... 'Home Shops' that have big CNC iron are fewer, to be sure! But
even that's becoming more common as conversions become simpler and less
expensive to do.

Lloyd

Not to mention as American machine shops slow and close...their older
less desirable (slower) machines are showing up in hobby shops all
across America. And for very very little money. Go to auctions..and
its not the pros and dealers who are buying CNC Bridgeports and
similar machines..its hobby guys.

Gunner

Too bad there aren't a lot of "hobby" well drillers. A local driller
was closed down by the bank last week - brand new 1.7 million dollar
drill rig which had only dug one hole went for just about $500grand..
I wasn't there or I could have picked up a 2010 Ford escape in prime
condition for $3500 - the pickups all went for under $2500 (newest was
2010 with about 35000 miles on it) and 8 brand new office furniture
sets (modular l shaped high end wood grain, with bookshelves etc -with
office chairs - complete - less than 3 months old, went for TWENTY
FIVE BUCKS - for all 8!!!!