Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Science Quiz

"BottleBob" wrote in message
Just a bit of personal info, I have a CNC Sherline I bought some 10
odd years ago, about 5 years before I retired. It's still in the
boxes it came in. Not sure that toy even qualifies as a real CNC
machine. LOL
BottleBob

I used a ProtoTrak Bridgeport to modify Segway castings for
experiments and found that I liked the old manual layout and nachining
methods better. There was no flat surface to establish an X or Y zero
and the drawing referenced "See the pattern" for much of the detail,
like the battery mounting bosses. The slew knob wasn't nearly as
ergonomic as table handwheels. For poorly defined one-time jobs not
that different from the custom-fitted tools and repair parts I make at
home it was less convenient than a manual mill.

When I had to drill mounting holes for a circuit board made on a CAD
system I printed a listing of the hole coordinates and drilled them by
the DRO since the circuit board Excellon drill file format was
incompatible.

-jsw