Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BottleBob BottleBob is offline

Default Science Quiz

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:58:04 AM UTC-8, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

BottleBob fired this volley in news:5c691859-

:

IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment. We could
take a survey...

I think it would have been safe to say that ten years ago. Today... I'm
not so sure it wouldn't be better worded "A minority of 'Home Shops'...".

Advertising, cheap low-end stepper-driven machines from China, and ARM
processors have made the entire category of CNC more common and more
affordable.

Now... 'Home Shops' that have big CNC iron are fewer, to be sure! But
even that's becoming more common as conversions become simpler and less
expensive to do.

Lloyd

Lloyd:

Hmmm, OK. I'll go with "A minority of 'Home Shops'..." in the future if that's more accurate.
I hear RogerN talking about his CNC machine, along with his manual machines, but I don't hear many others talking about their CNC equipment, so I figured that Roger was an anomaly.

Just a bit of personal info, I have a CNC Sherline I bought some 10 odd years ago, about 5 years before I retired. It's still in the boxes it came in. Not sure that toy even qualifies as a real CNC machine. LOL

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Respect is not casually "given", it is earned
Respect yourself. Is the first lesson learned
If you aren't getting the amount you're due
Then you should look honestly inside of you