Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Science Quiz

Gunner Asch on Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:53:42 -0800
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 06:58:04 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

BottleBob fired this volley in news:5c691859-
:

IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment. We could
take a survey...

I think it would have been safe to say that ten years ago. Today... I'm
not so sure it wouldn't be better worded "A minority of 'Home Shops'...".

Advertising, cheap low-end stepper-driven machines from China, and ARM
processors have made the entire category of CNC more common and more
affordable.

Now... 'Home Shops' that have big CNC iron are fewer, to be sure! But
even that's becoming more common as conversions become simpler and less
expensive to do.

Lloyd

Not to mention as American machine shops slow and close...their older
less desirable (slower) machines are showing up in hobby shops all
across America. And for very very little money. Go to auctions..and
its not the pros and dealers who are buying CNC Bridgeports and
similar machines..its hobby guys.

Friend/classmate bought a Cincinnati #1 vertical mill. Cost him
more to ship it than to buy it, much less than two grand total. Got
it set up and discovered that it had a swivel table (brain fart, can't
recall the technical name for such a thing - the entire worktable
pivoted) as an added bonus.

He was happy.
--
pyotr filipivich