Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BottleBob BottleBob is offline

Default Science Quiz

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:13:25 AM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:32:40 AM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

"It's unfortunate that you feel that way."

It's not an opinion it's a fact. Feelings have nothing to do with it.

Jon:

Let's take a closer look at this. You said: "Common courtesy
doesn't exist on Usenet." For that to be true ALL participants
in Usenet would have to continuously act in an uncivil
or discourteous manner. That doesn't happen since innumerable
examples of courteousness & civility exist. So your statement is NOT
describing a universal & unwavering condition of Usenet. It's an
interpretation from your own perspective... IOW your opinion.

"And being as that particular question appears to be the one that is
missed most often... it can skew the results."

Rather than pat ourselves on the back for getting perfect or near
perfect scores it would make a lot more sense to do what you did and ask
why do so many miss this question. My answer is that it's not emphasized
enough in school like other topics are.

I believe you're correct in that assessment. Many people think "oxygen" is synonymous with "air", since everyone knows our bodies need oxygen to
breathe, and we breathe air.

"Metalworking topics may be on life support, but IMO given a little
nurturing I think they could be revived."

Not a chance. Usenet doesn't attract the needed newbies with an interest
in home shop CNC machining and CADCAM. That's now all gone to
advertising driven forums. One day that will change and there will be
advertising free groups that will be started and run by home shop
machinists, probably using a network much like LinkedIn has created for
professionals.

LinkedIn is now where all the best professional CNC machining and CADCAM
discussion happens.

I think you forget that RCM is a HOBBY metalworking group (and not
even strictly a "machining" group in the strictest sense), certainly not
a professional CNC machining CAD/CAM group such as AMC was.
IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment. We could
take a survey...

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob