Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Science Quiz

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:59:58 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:15:27 -0800
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:34:33 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:53:42 -0800
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 06:58:04 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

BottleBob fired this volley in news:5c691859-
:

IMO, Vanishingly few "Home Shops" have CNC equipment. We could
take a survey...

I think it would have been safe to say that ten years ago. Today... I'm
not so sure it wouldn't be better worded "A minority of 'Home Shops'...".

Advertising, cheap low-end stepper-driven machines from China, and ARM
processors have made the entire category of CNC more common and more
affordable.

Now... 'Home Shops' that have big CNC iron are fewer, to be sure! But
even that's becoming more common as conversions become simpler and less
expensive to do.

Lloyd

Not to mention as American machine shops slow and close...their older
less desirable (slower) machines are showing up in hobby shops all
across America. And for very very little money. Go to auctions..and
its not the pros and dealers who are buying CNC Bridgeports and
similar machines..its hobby guys.

Friend/classmate bought a Cincinnati #1 vertical mill. Cost him
more to ship it than to buy it, much less than two grand total. Got
it set up and discovered that it had a swivel table (brain fart, can't
recall the technical name for such a thing - the entire worktable
pivoted) as an added bonus.

He was happy.
--
pyotr filipivich

"universal table"

Yeah, one of them things.

He didn't realize it had one till he "got it home" and set up.

My Larios horizontal mill has a Universal table..and I use it a LOT!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...802602/Larios#

--
pyotr filipivich

Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/3/2013 1:00 AM, Ollie wrote:

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Thanks. Says I got 96. The pop window was a bit big for my
screen, and control - didn't help. Not sure which I missed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-11-05, BottleBob wrote:
On Monday, November 4, 2013 8:38:21 PM UTC-8, DoN. Nichols wrote:

It
runs from a 6502 (what was used in the Apple ][ and the Commodore Pet

[ ... ]

Don:

Since it cuts better in metric... have you tried to cut inch threads
in their metric equivalent? Like 20 Threads Per Inch = an inch pitch of
.050 OR a metric pitch of 1.27mm.

Whenever I want serious accuracy (at least, as serious as it can
provide), I do convert to metric, and program it in that mode.

As for the "as serious as it can provide" part -- among other
things, while the maximum resolution is 0.01mm (or 0.001"), when
turning, that it the radius value, so the diameter goes in steps of
0.02mm or 0.002" (plus or minus conversion limits in the inch mode. :-)

Here's a site with a list of pitch conversions to metric.

http://www.newmantools.com/tech/pitchconversions.htm

I just always keep a HP 15C calculator handy, and do the
conversions on the spot.

And the program format is insanely picky. Decimal point
location is implied, not displayed. and if you lose a space out of a
line of code, everything is multipled by 10 because of the position.
Here is what the start of a program looks like:

Heh, yeah. If memory serves, that's the old NC "Full Address" format.

So -- it has a name other than proprietary to EMCO-MAIER. :-)

Sometimes they had following zero suppression, and sometimes leading
zero suppression.

Leading zero here -- but if you don't have the zero, you better
have the space to take its place. :-)

Just be glad you don't have to use a Flexiwriter and
punch your programs out on paper tape and THEN take the tape over to
your machine and feed it into your tape reader.

Well ... I used to have (and use) a Friden Flexowriter. And
among other things, it did not use ASCII (which the Compact-5/CNC does,
at least.) I used it on my first home computer as the output half of
the console. I had to write MC6800 assembly code to convert ASCII to
the nearest equivalent in the Flexowriter's character set.

What that code *is*, apparently, is a BCD implementation of the
EBCDIC code used on some mainframes. Except that it was also an
electric typewriter, which had shift-up and shift-down codes to select
upper or lower case. Great fun driving that thing. I had to send it a
sequence on "boot" (power-on -- no OS to boot) to make sure that it was
in a known state. That was my first serious programming project, to
allow me to use the computer for other things (until I finally got an
ADM-3A terminal in kit form. The computer was an Altair 680b, FWIW, and
I still have it.

And some Flexowriters used a 6-level tape, instead of the
8-level that the one I had used.

Oh yes -- while it does not *use* ASCII, it could (and did)
duplicate punched tapes in ASCII -- I used it to make several copies of
the BASIC interpreter tape -- and finally punched a Mylar tape which did
not wear out like the others. But it *did* nearly burn out that punch. :-)

Ahh the good ol'
days... Just kidding, those days were miserable compared to modern
machines and CAM systems that do all the grunt work for you.

But doing that work in assembly language (and having to hand
assemble it at that) certainly taught me a lot about the inner workings
of computers. The sort of thing that you are "protected" from these
days. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--