Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Science Quiz

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:41:41 -0700 (PDT), BottleBob
wrote:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

I got my sex wrong.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:41:41 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

--

BottleBob

http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

****ing, Heisenberg. It's always science or cheap Chinese vises with this bitch. :)

I did what you asked me to do, Heisenberg and took the ****ing quiz. Here are my results copied and pasted:

"Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz Results

You answered 12 of 13 questions correctly."

Here is the question I missed:

"Which gas makes up most of the Earth’s atmosphere?

You answered "Hydrogen"

The correct answer is "Nitrogen"

I feel like an idiot for missing this question, Heisenberg. There goes my "A-1 day". I hope you're happy.

I'm sure you got everything right.

How soon before Mark Wieber lies again and claims he got them all right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/2/2013 5:41 PM, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz Results
You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.
This quiz is a joint effort between the Pew Research Center and
Smithsonian magazine.

See below how your results compare with the 1,006 randomly sampled
adults that took part in our national survey and review how you
responded to each question. For more findings from the survey, read
"Public's Knowledge of Science and Technology."

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BottleBob wrote:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Heres a quiz on how much
science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13
questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct,
or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

I got them all right. Well, maybe helps that I work at a university
Chemistry department.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BottleBob" wrote in message

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much
science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions
correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct,
or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I got all 13 right! Now that I have proven there is a God.... :-)

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/02/2013 04:41 PM, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

Rats! I didn't read one closely enough.

Score 11 of 13.

technomaNge
--
How's that hopey-changey thing working out?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

13 out of 13 - they were all very simple questions - basic public (
grade 8) school level stuff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 3:09:01 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:

****ing, Heisenberg. It's always science or cheap Chinese vises with
this bitch. :)

I did what you asked me to do, Heisenberg and took the ****ing quiz.
Here are my results copied and pasted:

Jon:

You didn't follow my suggested directions. To wit:

"If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others."

"Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz Results

You answered 12 of 13 questions correctly."

I feel like an idiot for missing this question, Heisenberg. There goes
my "A-1 day". I hope you're happy.

I'm sure you got everything right.

What can I say, I'm a science weenie.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Scientific truth is provisional
Religious faith is unconditional
One demands objective observation
The other requires obfuscation

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:15:21 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

"If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others."

I never have played by your rules and never will. :)

If someone has to cheat and not be honest with the question I missed or if they pretend to know the the answer I revealed, they are going to lie and cheat anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Schrader

"Hank, knowing he is about to be killed, defiantly identifies himself by his hard-won DEA title, ASAC Schrader, and asks how such an intelligent man as Walt could be too naive to see that Jack's decision was already made"

As others have correctly pointed out, Heisenberg it's a lame test that only shows how dumb America has gotten. Anyone who doesn't know the answer to any of these questions should be ashamed of themselves like I am for missing the question I missed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 6:33:28 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
I got all 13 right! Now that I have proven there is a God.... :-)
RogerN

I also got all 13 right, and very quickly, too. Honestly, I was waiting for a punchline at the end, but I guess this was serious.

Oh well, having proven that there's no god, I'll move along ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:l5420m$vnd$1
@dont-email.me:

OK, without Googling, what is a Plasmid?

Most biologists believe mitochondrial DNA was once plasmids. 'nuff? Or do
I have to explain the origins, also?

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 7:04:05 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
THIS is the crap that our Bastions of Science are offering up as a
reasonable test of "Scientific Knowlege"!
If any adult or child over the age of 13 doesn't know - to the CORE of
their being - every one of these things, then they have the mental
capacity of a gopher tortoise -- or their "teachures" do.
(13 of 13 in my friggin' SLEEP)
Lloyd

I wish this wasn't usenet, so I could give this post a +1 or a "like" or a thumbs up, or something. As I said above, I was waiting for a punchline at the end of the 13 questions.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BottleBob" wrote in
message
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s
a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of
the adult population gets all 13 questions
correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please
don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and
spoil it for others.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Got'em all right! ;)} pdk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 18:02:31 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

I got my sex wrong.

Me too! And my age;-)

But on the questions that mater 13 of 13.

Where is the hard version?
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

I just dislocated my shoulder tryig to pat myself on the back!
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

I got my sex wrong.

I got 13/13 here, too.

P.S: You should try -women- next time, Ned.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 6:18:56 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:

The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed

until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Gotta love the FACT that Mark Wieber clique idiot Larry Jackass claims to have gotten 13 out of 13 but can't even quote Thomas Jefferson correctly:

http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...ment-quotation

"Comments: We currently have no evidence that Thomas Jefferson said or wrote, "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" or any of its listed variations."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:04:05 PM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Worse. It proves the "dumbing-down" of US education.

THIS is the crap that our Bastions of Science are offering up as a
reasonable test of "Scientific Knowlege"!

If any adult or child over the age of 13 doesn't know - to the CORE of
their being - every one of these things, then they have the mental
capacity of a gopher tortoise -- or their "teachures" do.

(13 of 13 in my friggin' SLEEP)

Lloyd

Lloyd:

I don't think this little quiz was meant as a reasonable test of scientific knowledge. Here is my response after being forwarded this "gem" of a quiz:

I'm Shocked & Dismayed!!! Don't want to seem judgmental or anything... but I'm APPALLED at the poor showing of their random sample. At first I thought their "random" sample was taken from the Ozarks or Appalachia where kids never went to school or learned how to read. This is a major indictment against the results of our education system.
I especially was disappointed at the low percentage of correct answers in MY age group (65+), were they polling Alzheimer's patients?
No wonder America is in the mess it's in. Every Congress Critter should be required to take this test, and if they miss more than two questions they should be impeached and stripped of their position due to mental incompetence.

OK, ok, let me climb down off my soapbox. I still am having a hard time believing it though. Perhaps their results were fabrications just to gauge other people's reactions? Sure got a reaction out of me.

Back to real-time here. This quiz has generated enough passion in me to post it here to RCM. That's probably the first thread I've started in a couple of years.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Quantum probability
Particle formability
When they're observed
Uncertainty is preserved

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BottleBob wrote in news:dcbc88ab-935f-4e99-aaef-e800e60a4941
@googlegroups.com:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only

7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers

and spoil it for others.

13 for 13 -- thought the answers were all pretty obvious.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:32:22 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:15:21 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

"If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or
wrong, answers and spoil it for others."

I never have played by your rules and never will. :)

Jon:

This has little to do with any "rules" on my part... and a LOT to do with common courtesy.

If someone has to cheat and not be honest with the question I missed or
if they pretend to know the the answer I revealed, they are going to lie
and cheat anyway.

What the listing of your answer, and the correction, will probably do is remind the people that may have forgotten, just what they learned in High School science class so many years ago. No overt cheating would necessarily be involved. But what this "reminder" may do, is skew the results from your post forward.

...it's a lame test that
only shows how dumb America has gotten.

That was essentially the primary reason for me posting it in the first place. That, and the opportunity for all us metal-heads to compare our science knowledge to that of the average citizen.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Space-time curvature
Is it conjecture?
Or is the universe
Really its own inverse
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 6:33:28 PM UTC-4, RogerN wrote:
I got all 13 right! Now that I have proven there is a God.... :-)
RogerN

I also got all 13 right, and very quickly, too. Honestly, I was waiting for
a punchline at the end, but I guess this was serious.

Oh well, having proven that there's no god, I'll move along ;-)

BottleBob probably got it. It has to do with a professors study that showed
Tea Party members were more Science literate than liberals.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com writes:

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:l5420m$vnd$1
@dont-email.me:

OK, without Googling, what is a Plasmid?

Got that one wrong. Without googling, I mixed plasmids up with
prions. I'm not keeping up on my biochemistry. :-(

Most biologists believe mitochondrial DNA was once plasmids. 'nuff? Or do
I have to explain the origins, also?

I did a term paper on mitochondria in '61. At that time. The notion
that mitochondria originated as endosymbionts had been raised but was
roundly ridiculed. It began to get some traction in the 70s but even
then, a biochemist friend still ridiculed it. Not so much now, albeit
still undecided.

What shocked me about the OP's quiz was that only 31% or college grads
got the atmosphere composition right. Then I relfected on all the
grads I know who took the absolute minimum number of science credits
required for their degrees in economics or English or education. But
it's still a pathetic number.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-11-02, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here?s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct,
or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

My results:
You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.

While not stating which question, I was amazed at how few people
got one in particular right -- the overall balance was 20% and even the
college graduates only got 31%. I thought that one was common
knowledge. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much science adults know. Only

7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers

and spoil it for others.

13 for 13 -- thought the answers were all pretty obvious.

Big ol dummy me got 13-13. I kept looking for trick questions and
didnt find any.

Only 7% of the public got them all correct????????

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:09:57 PM UTC-7, DoN. Nichols wrote:

While not stating which question, I was amazed at how few people
got one in particular right -- the overall balance was 20% and even the
college graduates only got 31%. I thought that one was common
knowledge. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Don:

Hmmm, that might go a long way toward explaining why there is so much controversy over Global Warming in the general population.

My hobby in the 80's, of designing & building custom Nitrous Oxide units for max horsepower made me quite familiar with the normal atmospheric composition.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Reality
We think we observe
But look and see
What is preserved
What is to be
Why its only conservation of energy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/02/2013 02:41 PM, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much
science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13
questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:11:30 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

"This has little to do with any "rules" on my part... and a LOT to do with common courtesy."

Common courtesy doesn't exist on Usenet.

"If someone has to cheat and not be honest with the question I missed or if they pretend to know the the answer I revealed, they are going to lie and cheat anyway."

Hence it doesn't matter that I admitted my mistake and said what it was.

Bull****.

"That was essentially the primary reason for me posting it in the first place. That, and the opportunity for all us metal-heads to compare our science knowledge to that of the average citizen."

Modern metalworking is dead in this newsgroup thanks to Wieber and his clique of idiots.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/2/2013 5:33 PM, RogerN wrote:
"BottleBob" wrote in message

All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much
science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions
correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct,
or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I got all 13 right! Now that I have proven there is a God.... :-)

RogerN

I got all 13 right, too! Now that I have proven there is a Dog.... :-)

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:00:45 PM UTC-7, Ollie wrote:

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Ollie:

That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume that means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell you which ones you missed.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Experience sustains
Our thinking brains
Life's pain
Is wisdom's gain

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:27:19 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:11:30 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

"This has little to do with any "rules" on my part... and a LOT to do
with common courtesy."

Common courtesy doesn't exist on Usenet.

Jon:

It's unfortunate that you feel that way.

"If someone has to cheat and not be honest with the question I missed or
if they pretend to know the the answer I revealed, they are going to lie
and cheat anyway."

Hence it doesn't matter that I admitted my mistake and said what it was.

"What the listing of your answer, and the correction, will probably do
is remind the people that may have forgotten, just what they learned in
High School science class so many years ago. No overt cheating would
necessarily be involved. But what this "reminder" may do, is skew the
results from your post forward."

Bull****.

Let me try to explain it a different way. People assimilate new information and compare/contrast it to prior information constantly and almost subconsciously.
Reading of your mistake, and the correct answer, might not even register consciously. But when taking the test they might tend to go with what "feels" like the correct answer. Not even being aware of having read your post.
And being as that particular question appears to be the one that is missed most often... it can skew the results.

"...and the opportunity for all us metal-heads to compare our
science knowledge to that of the average citizen."

Modern metalworking is dead in this newsgroup thanks to Wieber and his
clique of idiots.

Metalworking topics may be on life support, but IMO given a little nurturing I think they could be revived.

What doesn't seem to help is all the gratuitous antagonism.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Speak nonsense
Be deemed dense
Gratuitous offense
Lacks commonsense

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/3/2013 1:45 AM, David R. Birch wrote:
http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

I got all 13 right! Now that I have proven there is a God.... :-)

RogerN

I got all 13 right, too! Now that I have proven there is a Dog.... :-)

David

ARF Father in Heaven... HOWL be Thy name.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 23:00:45 -0700, Ollie wrote:

On 11/02/2013 02:41 PM, BottleBob wrote:
All:

I think you will find this interesting! Here’s a quiz on how much
science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13
questions correct. See how you do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

I got 3 wrong on the multiple gear/ multiple pulley sections of the
mechanical aptitude test. all else correct.

I dont deal with them very often and after reviewing the test...could
see my errors quite plainly.

Sigh

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 00:06:57 -0700 (PDT), BottleBob
wrote:

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:00:45 PM UTC-7, Ollie wrote:

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html

is pretty good.

Ollie:

That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume that means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell you which ones you missed.

They do..just click on the Review button and it takes you back through
the quiz and shows you the right and wrong answers.

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:32:40 AM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

"It's unfortunate that you feel that way."

It's not an opinion it's a fact. Feelings have nothing to do with it.

"And being as that particular question appears to be the one that is missed most often... it can skew the results."

Rather than pat ourselves on the back for getting perfect or near perfect scores it would make a lot more sense to do what you did and ask why do so many miss this question. My answer is that it's not emphasized enough in school like other topics are.

"Metalworking topics may be on life support, but IMO given a little nurturing I think they could be revived."

Not a chance. Usenet doesn't attract the needed newbies with an interest in home shop CNC machining and CADCAM. That's now all gone to advertising driven forums. One day that will change and there will be advertising free groups that will be started and run by home shop machinists, probably using a network much like LinkedIn has created for professionals.

LinkedIn is now where all the best professional CNC machining and CADCAM discussion happens.