Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Science Quiz

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com writes:

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:l5420m$vnd$1
@dont-email.me:

OK, without Googling, what is a Plasmid?

Got that one wrong. Without googling, I mixed plasmids up with
prions. I'm not keeping up on my biochemistry. :-(

Most biologists believe mitochondrial DNA was once plasmids. 'nuff? Or do
I have to explain the origins, also?

I did a term paper on mitochondria in '61. At that time. The notion
that mitochondria originated as endosymbionts had been raised but was
roundly ridiculed. It began to get some traction in the 70s but even
then, a biochemist friend still ridiculed it. Not so much now, albeit
still undecided.

What shocked me about the OP's quiz was that only 31% or college grads
got the atmosphere composition right. Then I relfected on all the
grads I know who took the absolute minimum number of science credits
required for their degrees in economics or English or education. But
it's still a pathetic number.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada