Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BottleBob BottleBob is offline

Default Science Quiz

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:27:19 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:11:30 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

"This has little to do with any "rules" on my part... and a LOT to do
with common courtesy."

Common courtesy doesn't exist on Usenet.

Jon:

It's unfortunate that you feel that way.

"If someone has to cheat and not be honest with the question I missed or
if they pretend to know the the answer I revealed, they are going to lie
and cheat anyway."

Hence it doesn't matter that I admitted my mistake and said what it was.

"What the listing of your answer, and the correction, will probably do
is remind the people that may have forgotten, just what they learned in
High School science class so many years ago. No overt cheating would
necessarily be involved. But what this "reminder" may do, is skew the
results from your post forward."

Bull****.

Let me try to explain it a different way. People assimilate new information and compare/contrast it to prior information constantly and almost subconsciously.
Reading of your mistake, and the correct answer, might not even register consciously. But when taking the test they might tend to go with what "feels" like the correct answer. Not even being aware of having read your post.
And being as that particular question appears to be the one that is missed most often... it can skew the results.

"...and the opportunity for all us metal-heads to compare our
science knowledge to that of the average citizen."

Modern metalworking is dead in this newsgroup thanks to Wieber and his
clique of idiots.

Metalworking topics may be on life support, but IMO given a little nurturing I think they could be revived.

What doesn't seem to help is all the gratuitous antagonism.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Speak nonsense