Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

Ive used some 3/8 & 1/2 square tools that were factory ground to
about 1/16 on the end for parting
and cutoff. They work great but when I tried to reproduce one from a
blank, well the results werent very good and it takes forever to grind
away that much material. Has anyone ever ground there own ?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 8, 2:48*pm, wrote:
*Ive used some 3/8 & 1/2 square tools that were factory ground to
about 1/16 on the end for parting
and cutoff. *They work great but when I tried to reproduce one from a
blank, well the results werent very good and it takes forever to grind
away that much material. *Has anyone ever ground there own ?

Yes. Push harder. HSS grinds very slowly until you apply a certain
amount of pressure, then the grinding effectiveness suddenly jumps way
up.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 8, 12:48*pm, wrote:
*Ive used some 3/8 & 1/2 square tools that were factory ground to
about 1/16 on the end for parting
and cutoff. *They work great but when I tried to reproduce one from a
blank, well the results werent very good and it takes forever to grind
away that much material. *Has anyone ever ground there own ?

Sure, but the easiest way is to get a dedicated cut-off blade holder
and cut-off blades for the big stuff. For itty-bitty stuff, I still
grind minis from 1/4" square blanks. Yeah, it takes awhile. Wouldn't
care to try it on bigger blanks, either. I use 40 grit belts on the
belt grinder for roughing, I'd probably see if I could get something
around 20-30 grit for wheels if I was stuck with a bench grinder.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Ive used some 3/8 & 1/2 square tools that were factory ground to
about 1/16 on the end for parting
and cutoff. They work great but when I tried to reproduce one from a
blank, well the results werent very good and it takes forever to grind
away that much material. Has anyone ever ground there own ?

If you'll select the proper wheel, HSS grinds quite well. If you're using
the typical pedestal or bench grinder with the wheel that came with the
machine, you can expect more than your share of misery. The wheels are
too hard to function well for the material, and there's nothing you can do
to improve their performance.

I have hand ground turning tools for well over 50 years now, including
parting tools. I don't own a commercial one, preferring the performance of
those I hand grind.

You have received some excellent advice regards using a parting wheel to
eliminate the majority of stock when starting with a blank. Still, you
must hone your skill to achieve good results afterwards. Get a proper
wheel and stay the course.

It might pay you to download a large file that was compiled from many of my
posts on the Chaski board some time ago. I discuss wheel selection, wheel
dressing and HSS grinding in detail, including grinding chip breakers.
If you are not well versed in the art, it may prove useful. Or not! :-)

Here's a link: http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

:-)
Here's a link: http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

Harold

Downloading even as I type , Thanks Harold !
I have gotten so much info from this and the other metalworking groups I
read , it has helped me more than I can say .
The Internet Rocks !
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

It might pay you to download a large file that was compiled from many of my
posts on the Chaski board some time ago. I discuss wheel selection, wheel
dressing and HSS grinding in detail, including grinding chip breakers.
If you are not well versed in the art, it may prove useful. Or not! :-)

Here's a link: http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

I finally got around to downloading it -- and discover that it
is in ".rtf" format -- probably the worst to read with my usual
computers. I guess that I'll see whether the Mac has a reader for that.

".pdf" would have been a good format on almost any computer --
or if it is only plain text in there -- what would have been wrong with
a plain text file?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

It might pay you to download a large file that was compiled from many of my
posts on the Chaski board some time ago. I discuss wheel selection, wheel
dressing and HSS grinding in detail, including grinding chip breakers.
If you are not well versed in the art, it may prove useful. Or not! :-)

Here's a link: http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

I finally got around to downloading it -- and discover that it
is in ".rtf" format -- probably the worst to read with my usual
computers. I guess that I'll see whether the Mac has a reader for that.

..rtf = Rich Text Format

MS Word should be able to open it. Or OpenOffice can, if you're into
that commie open source stuff like Linux. ;-)

".pdf" would have been a good format on almost any computer --
or if it is only plain text in there -- what would have been wrong with
a plain text file?

Text has limited formatting capabilities. .pdf would be best except that
Adobe's Distiller isn't cheap. If you can 'print' to a postscript file
(.ps), there's a ps2pdf utility (that damned open source stuff again).

--
Paul Hovnanian
Dedicated to the unrestricted propagation of worthless
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

Here's a link: http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

I finally got around to downloading it -- and discover that it
is in ".rtf" format -- probably the worst to read with my usual
computers. I guess that I'll see whether the Mac has a reader for that.

.rtf = Rich Text Format

That much I knew. It was just the lack of knowing a program
which would run on my system which could open it.

MS Word should be able to open it.

That may be -- but MicroSoft Word won't run on my Sun Blade
2000 (nor will the parent OS, Windows), so what it can open on other
systems doesn't help here.

Or OpenOffice can, if you're into
that commie open source stuff like Linux. ;-)

How about Sun's Solaris 10? Yes, Sun's StarOffice does open it,
and it is a partly proprietary version of OpenOffice, but which does a
few things that OpenOffice can't do because of proprietary formats.

".pdf" would have been a good format on almost any computer --
or if it is only plain text in there -- what would have been wrong with
a plain text file?

Text has limited formatting capabilities.

I didn't see anything in it which really *needed* fancy
formatting. Plain text would have been fine -- and a much smaller
download as well.

PDF at least has excellent compression to make up for how
complex the file is compared to plain ASCII.

.pdf would be best except that
Adobe's Distiller isn't cheap. If you can 'print' to a postscript file
(.ps), there's a ps2pdf utility (that damned open source stuff again).

I've used ps2pdf (part of the GhostScript package) many times --
for converting scanned machine manual pages to something easy to share
with others.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This crapVista machine wanted to open it with the latest Word product, but I
won't use another MS**** product that I haven't used before (earlier
machines & OSs).

So I did the Open With and chose the somewhat trusty WordPad, and did a Save
As to a .doc file, and everything looked fine.

I know that's not a solution for DoN, but I mentioned it in case anyone else
prefers to avoid new spit/yakMS programs.

--
WB
metalworking projects

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip---
".pdf" would have been a good format on almost any computer --
or if it is only plain text in there -- what would have been wrong with
a plain text file?

Damned if I know, DoN. I had nothing to do with the file aside from giving
permission to a different party to compile them so they could be uploaded.
I had provided the posts for readers of the Chaski board in hopes they might
be enlightened. There's one hell of a lot of experience there, and some
information that is not commonly promoted. If readers keep an open mind
and try some of the recommendations, particularly grinding without a rest,
they just may be pleasantly surprised.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
snip-----
Downloading even as I type , Thanks Harold !

Welcome! :-)

Hope you find it useful.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:13:19 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip---
".pdf" would have been a good format on almost any computer --
or if it is only plain text in there -- what would have been wrong with
a plain text file?

Damned if I know, DoN. I had nothing to do with the file aside from giving
permission to a different party to compile them so they could be uploaded.
I had provided the posts for readers of the Chaski board in hopes they might
be enlightened. There's one hell of a lot of experience there, and some
information that is not commonly promoted. If readers keep an open mind
and try some of the recommendations, particularly grinding without a rest,
they just may be pleasantly surprised.

Plaintext doesn't support graphics, and there were a dozen or so pics
in there, 'Arry.

I agree that a PDF would have been cleaner/smaller. C'est la vie.

--
At current market valuations (GM is worth less than Mattel)
the Chinese government can afford to buy GM with petty cash.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-10, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip---
".pdf" would have been a good format on almost any computer --
or if it is only plain text in there -- what would have been wrong with
a plain text file?

Damned if I know, DoN. I had nothing to do with the file aside from giving
permission to a different party to compile them so they could be uploaded.

I sort of figured that you had not compiled the file -- just
created the content (the important part).

I had provided the posts for readers of the Chaski board in hopes they might
be enlightened. There's one hell of a lot of experience there, and some
information that is not commonly promoted. If readers keep an open mind
and try some of the recommendations, particularly grinding without a rest,
they just may be pleasantly surprised.

I expect to read it all -- once I comb-bind the printout.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-10, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
[...]

Where? In the printout from StarOffice, I see no images of any
form. However, I *do* see a few white spaces between paragraphs, with
one or more '.'s at the left margin.

O.K. I went back into StarOffice (version 7, FWIW), and see the
same. Not quite peroids, but tiny blue dots.

I agree that a PDF would have been cleaner/smaller. C'est la vie.

And it might have carried the images along in such a way that I
could see them.

O.K. Paging through with less, I find some areas which look
like encoded binary data (possibly images) with something like:

\b\fs28{\pict\wmetafile8\picwgoal5999\pichgoal4349

in front -- which sort of looks like a path to an image on a Windows
system, but certainly not on a unix variant with those backslashes.

Perhaps someone who can extract it all, including the images,
can convert it to a postscript, and from there to pdf, so the rest of us
can see the images along with the text.

For all that *I* got, plain ASCII would have sufficed, except
for the occasional use of single-character fractions in place of 3/4 and
the like.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
snip-----
Downloading even as I type , Thanks Harold !

Welcome! :-)

Hope you find it useful.

Harold

*ALL* knowledge is useful ...
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11 Dec 2008 02:58:06 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

On 2008-12-10, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
Plaintext doesn't support graphics, and there were a dozen or so pics
in there, 'Arry.

Where? In the printout from StarOffice, I see no images of any
form. However, I *do* see a few white spaces between paragraphs, with
one or more '.'s at the left margin.

O.K. I went back into StarOffice (version 7, FWIW), and see the
same. Not quite peroids, but tiny blue dots.

I agree that a PDF would have been cleaner/smaller. C'est la vie.

And it might have carried the images along in such a way that I
could see them.

Strange, I'm running OpenOffice 2.0...oh, that's not StarOffice, is
it? g Time for a DL, Don. OpenOffice has very seldom failed me.
AAMOF, the only time it has was in opening some brand new Word files
and creating PDFs from them. I haven't printed this file, either, but
now that it's in PDF, it should work fine.

I used OpenOffice to distill it into a PDF file and will email it to
you, DoN, iffen that email (listed above) works.

A 3MB file is better than the 11MB file, huh? Sheesh! RTF is soooo
inefficient!

--
At current market valuations (GM is worth less than Mattel)
the Chinese government can afford to buy GM with petty cash.
--Bertel Shmitt on kencan7 blogspot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-10, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[...]

I've read your comments about the lacking pictures. DoN, I'm as close to
an artist at hand grinding tools (sorry for the shameless boast) that you
are likely to encounter. I show a few that I have ground. I'd like you
to see them. Remember-----all ground *without* a tool rest of any kind.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:17:47 -0600, the infamous "Terry Coombs"
scrawled the following:

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
snip-----
Downloading even as I type , Thanks Harold !

Welcome! :-)

Hope you find it useful.

Harold

*ALL* knowledge is useful ...

Are you _sure_, Terry? And I quote:

*More* coffee out the nostrils.......
Ken.

"Sorry. But it cleans them out. Think of it as a reverse enema for the
nose.

--
Ed Huntress "

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:

This crapVista machine wanted to open it with the latest Word product, but I
won't use another MS**** product that I haven't used before (earlier
machines & OSs).

So I did the Open With and chose the somewhat trusty WordPad, and did a Save
As to a .doc file, and everything looked fine.

I know that's not a solution for DoN, but I mentioned it in case anyone else
prefers to avoid new spit/yakMS programs.

Now that I've seen it, I think text format would have been best. It ends
up as an 86K text file. Converting to a PDF (not everyone has the tools
to do so) makes a 590K file. The original is 11.6 megabytes. I don't
even want to think about what an MS Word .doc would look like.

Text is good, particularly if there's no special formatting, fonts or
graphics to be preserved.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I looked it over after savig as a WordPad (not Word) .doc, it looked
fine but I didn't realize that the images weren't in the file.

But the text without the images is about 88kb.

I've been reading the Chaski boards occasionally for several years, so
looking up Harold's images wouldn't be difficult for anyone that might have
some trouble envisioning the grinds made on the cutting tools.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

The Chaski forums/message boards are chock full of good info, provided by
real pros and metal hobbiest/enthusiasts types on nearly all aspects of
metalworking.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message

Now that I've seen it, I think text format would have been best. It ends
up as an 86K text file. Converting to a PDF (not everyone has the tools
to do so) makes a 590K file. The original is 11.6 megabytes. I don't
even want to think about what an MS Word .doc would look like.

Text is good, particularly if there's no special formatting, fonts or
graphics to be preserved.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:27:20 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:
snip
Converting to a PDF (not everyone has the tools
to do so) makes a 590K file.

snip
-----------
see http://www.cutepdf.com/
to download a "free" pdf printer. Install on most any windows
machine and print using the "cute" printer to create a pdf file.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-11, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On 11 Dec 2008 02:58:06 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

[ ... ]

Where? In the printout from StarOffice, I see no images of any
form. However, I *do* see a few white spaces between paragraphs, with
one or more '.'s at the left margin.

O.K. I went back into StarOffice (version 7, FWIW), and see the
same. Not quite periods, but tiny blue dots.

I agree that a PDF would have been cleaner/smaller. C'est la vie.

And it might have carried the images along in such a way that I
could see them.

Strange, I'm running OpenOffice 2.0...oh, that's not StarOffice, is
it? g

StarOffice 7.0 -- from an earlier version of Solaris, IIRC.

Time for a DL, Don. OpenOffice has very seldom failed me.

Hmm ... a download -- of the sources and compile, or a
pre-compiled version? I do remember downloading the sources at some
time in the past, and discovering that they needed a lot of libraries
which I did not have -- and those needed more libraries as well. :-)
More trouble than it was worth while StarOffice was available
pre-compiled by Sun.

O.K. I do see OpenOffice available for download for Solaris,
and I am downloading as I type.

And the StarOffice needs a license fee to run it for more than a
short trial period, so we'll see what OpenOffice does for me.

AAMOF, the only time it has [failed you] was in opening some brand new Word files
and creating PDFs from them.

Microsoft keeps changing their format so what was compatible
does not remain so -- and to force user of Microsoft Office to
continually buy newer versions. :-(

I haven't printed this file, either, but
now that it's in PDF, it should work fine.

I used OpenOffice to distill it into a PDF file and will email it to
you, DoN, iffen that email (listed above) works.

The address is valid -- but the file is about a factor of 100
too large to get to me by e-mail. I've got a 30k size limit on *all*
incoming e-mail, to keep viruses out of a couple of small mailing lists
which I host. My system may be imune to the viruses, but that does not
apply to all who are receiving from the mailing lists.

Thanks for trying, at least.

A 3MB file is better than the 11MB file, huh? Sheesh! RTF is soooo
inefficient!

:-)

Raw PostScript is probably similar in size.

It is the excellent compression in PDF which makes the
difference.

I will try the downloaded OpenOffice (once it completes the
download and I install it) -- we are only 6% done with the download so
far.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-11, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Wild_Bill wrote:

This crapVista machine wanted to open it with the latest Word product, but I
won't use another MS**** product that I haven't used before (earlier
machines & OSs).

So I did the Open With and chose the somewhat trusty WordPad, and did a Save
As to a .doc file, and everything looked fine.

I know that's not a solution for DoN, but I mentioned it in case anyone else
prefers to avoid new spit/yakMS programs.

Now that I've seen it, I think text format would have been best. It ends
up as an 86K text file. Converting to a PDF (not everyone has the tools
to do so) makes a 590K file. The original is 11.6 megabytes. I don't
even want to think about what an MS Word .doc would look like.

Apparently your WordPad also did not see and convert the images,
just as StarOffice 7.0 failed.

Text is good, particularly if there's no special formatting, fonts or
graphics to be preserved.

Agreed -- though apparently there were *supposed* to be some
images in there. I'm downloading the latest OpenOffice to see if that
shows me the images, since I don't have the option of opening it with
Word. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep, the CutePDF solution was mentioned here quite a long time ago, and I
couldn't remember the name of it, since I only tried it a few times (but I
was impressed at how simple it was to create a PDF document).

Thanks for mentioning it again George, it could be a very useful tool to use
once I'm able to remember it.

--

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:27:20 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:
snip
Converting to a PDF (not everyone has the tools
to do so) makes a 590K file.

snip
-----------
see http://www.cutepdf.com/
to download a "free" pdf printer. Install on most any windows
machine and print using the "cute" printer to create a pdf file.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12 Dec 2008 02:03:21 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

On 2008-12-11, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
Time for a DL, Don. OpenOffice has very seldom failed me.

Hmm ... a download -- of the sources and compile, or a
pre-compiled version? I do remember downloading the sources at some
time in the past, and discovering that they needed a lot of libraries
which I did not have -- and those needed more libraries as well. :-)
More trouble than it was worth while StarOffice was available
pre-compiled by Sun.

O.K. I do see OpenOffice available for download for Solaris,
and I am downloading as I type.

Bueno.

And the StarOffice needs a license fee to run it for more than a
short trial period, so we'll see what OpenOffice does for me.

AAMOF, the only time it has [failed you] was in opening some brand new Word files
and creating PDFs from them.

Microsoft keeps changing their format so what was compatible
does not remain so -- and to force user of Microsoft Office to
continually buy newer versions. :-(

And M$ can can go kiss a rancid rat's rosy red rectum.

I haven't printed this file, either, but
now that it's in PDF, it should work fine.

I used OpenOffice to distill it into a PDF file and will email it to
you, DoN, iffen that email (listed above) works.

The address is valid -- but the file is about a factor of 100
too large to get to me by e-mail. I've got a 30k size limit on *all*
incoming e-mail, to keep viruses out of a couple of small mailing lists
which I host. My system may be imune to the viruses, but that does not
apply to all who are receiving from the mailing lists.

So much for that. It went but you dinna see 'er.

Thanks for trying, at least.

Jewelcome.

A 3MB file is better than the 11MB file, huh? Sheesh! RTF is soooo
inefficient!

:-)

Raw PostScript is probably similar in size.

True.

It is the excellent compression in PDF which makes the
difference.

I will try the downloaded OpenOffice (once it completes the
download and I install it) -- we are only 6% done with the download so
far.

It's a biggie. G'luck!

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-11, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On 11 Dec 2008 02:58:06 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

[ ... ]

Strange, I'm running OpenOffice 2.0...oh, that's not StarOffice, is
it? g

StarOffice 7.0 -- from an earlier version of Solaris, IIRC.

O.K. That old one was actually version 5.1. 7.0 was installed
with Solaris 10, and both are present in the system, depending on how I
invoke them. :-)

Time for a DL, Don. OpenOffice has very seldom failed me.

Hmm ... a download -- of the sources and compile, or a
pre-compiled version? I do remember downloading the sources at some

[ ... ]

O.K. I do see OpenOffice available for download for Solaris,
and I am downloading as I type.

And the StarOffice needs a license fee to run it for more than a
short trial period, so we'll see what OpenOffice does for me.

Except for the version which comes with Solaris 10, apparently.

However -- I've downloaded it, and installed, it, and can't find
how to *start* it. (And I don't like the installer sending me 48
separate e-mails for each various part of the package installed. Why
could it not have combined them all into a single e-mail?)

During the installation process, apparently gnome was the
preferred windowing system, and it installed hooks for that. I normally
use CDE, but after installation, I re-logged-in to run Gnome, and all I
found was an icon to start StarOffice -- and nothing for OpenOffice. :-(

I am *not* thrilled with OpenOffice.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
When I looked it over after savig as a WordPad (not Word) .doc, it looked
fine but I didn't realize that the images weren't in the file.

But the text without the images is about 88kb.

I've been reading the Chaski boards occasionally for several years, so
looking up Harold's images wouldn't be difficult for anyone that might
have some trouble envisioning the grinds made on the cutting tools.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

Unfortunately, the way the board is now operated, one must be a registered
user to see images that are hosted on the Chaski board, which mine are.

Registration may seem like a bit of an imposition, but once Marty made the
change, spamming of the board came to an abrupt halt. We were being hit
daily with several posts, some of which were XXX in nature. That's not the
purpose of the board, so the change has been a wonderful improvement,
lightening my burden considerably.

Anyone with an interest in mechanical devices is welcome----application is
generally approved within 24 hours. Marty is the sole authority for
approval, and does an outstanding job at screening the riff-raff.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 9, 1:40*am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

[...]

So what are the odds someone will save this as a .pdf to the dropbox?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:

Yep, the CutePDF solution was mentioned here quite a long time ago, and I
couldn't remember the name of it, since I only tried it a few times (but I
was impressed at how simple it was to create a PDF document).

Thanks for mentioning it again George, it could be a very useful tool to use
once I'm able to remember it.

I've used PDF995 for years.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Excellent, Steve. Thanks for taking the time to do this, on behalf of the
not-so-swift-software-stuff folks.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
rg...
In , on 11 Dec 2008
02:58:06 GMT, DoN. Nichols, wrote:

Perhaps someone who can extract it all, including the images,
can convert it to a postscript, and from there to pdf, so the rest of us
can see the images along with the text.

I did this yesterday, but I guess aioe was down,
and teranews swallowed the post. Anyway... (494KiB)

http://twoloonscoffee.com/download/T..._by_Harold.pdf

--
˜¯˜¯

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think it was a worthwhile change to require registration for access to the
Chaski forums, Harold.

All that registration requires is a legitimate email address from an
interested person to become registered. I was a reader of the forums before
the requirement was put in place, so it was no effort for me.
To view the messages is unrestricted, but to see the images or comment on
subjects, one is required to log in.

Anyone that's nervous about using an email address that they'd prefer to
keep private for personal correspondence, can get a free email address from
Yahoo or numerous other sources.

Thanks again for your detailed contributions Harold, here in RCM and Chaski.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

.. .

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
snip----

Thanks again for your detailed contributions Harold, here in RCM and
Chaski.

Thanks, WB-----I appreciate that someone reads my ravings, such as they are.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:17:47 -0600, the infamous "Terry Coombs"
scrawled the following:

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
snip-----
Downloading even as I type , Thanks Harold !

Welcome! :-)

Hope you find it useful.

Harold

*ALL* knowledge is useful ...

Are you _sure_, Terry? And I quote:

*More* coffee out the nostrils.......
Ken.

"Sorry. But it cleans them out. Think of it as a reverse enema for the
nose.

--
Ed Huntress "

Well , yeah ! A lot depends on how you *use* that knowledge ... and
exactly the situation you're in when you acquire it !
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-13, Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on 11 Dec 2008
02:58:06 GMT, DoN. Nichols, wrote:

Perhaps someone who can extract it all, including the images,
can convert it to a postscript, and from there to pdf, so the rest of us
can see the images along with the text.

I did this yesterday, but I guess aioe was down,
and teranews swallowed the post. Anyway... (494KiB)

http://twoloonscoffee.com/download/T..._by_Harold.pdf

That did it! Images and all -- now in the "hands" of my
printer.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12 Dec 2008 05:39:54 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

O.K. I do see OpenOffice available for download for Solaris,
and I am downloading as I type.

And the StarOffice needs a license fee to run it for more than a
short trial period, so we'll see what OpenOffice does for me.

Except for the version which comes with Solaris 10, apparently.

However -- I've downloaded it, and installed, it, and can't find
how to *start* it. (And I don't like the installer sending me 48
separate e-mails for each various part of the package installed. Why
could it not have combined them all into a single e-mail?)

Strange, and a good question. The Windows version didn't send emails.

During the installation process, apparently gnome was the
preferred windowing system, and it installed hooks for that. I normally
use CDE, but after installation, I re-logged-in to run Gnome, and all I
found was an icon to start StarOffice -- and nothing for OpenOffice. :-(

I am *not* thrilled with OpenOffice.

It appears that many things in *nix are like that. Send a missive off
to Sun asking "WTF,O?" and let us know what they say.

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.
-- Kin Hubbard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-17, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On 12 Dec 2008 05:39:54 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

[ ... OpenOffice ... ]

However -- I've downloaded it, and installed, it, and can't find
how to *start* it. (And I don't like the installer sending me 48
separate e-mails for each various part of the package installed. Why
could it not have combined them all into a single e-mail?)

Strange, and a good question. The Windows version didn't send emails.

It probably used a standard Windows Installation Wizard. The
one for Solaris looks as though it is trying to pretend to be the same
sort of critter.

During the installation process, apparently gnome was the
preferred windowing system, and it installed hooks for that. I normally
use CDE, but after installation, I re-logged-in to run Gnome, and all I
found was an icon to start StarOffice -- and nothing for OpenOffice. :-(

I am *not* thrilled with OpenOffice.

It appears that many things in *nix are like that. Send a missive off
to Sun asking "WTF,O?" and let us know what they say.

Since that "Installation Wizard" is not used by any of Sun's
software (they use "pkgadd"instead, which does things the Sun way, and
does not flood my mailbox. :-)

I don't knwo where OpenOffice got their Wizard, but I don't like
it.

And since OpenOffice is not one of Sun's packages, asking them
how to make it work does not make sense either. Sun's version is
StarOffice, which does work in general -- just not with the images in
those .rtf files. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564