Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] glyford@gmail.com is offline

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

On Dec 9, 1:40*am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
wrote in message

Ive used some 3/8 & 1/2 square tools that were factory ground to
about 1/16 on the end for parting
and cutoff. *They work great but when I tried to reproduce one from a
blank, well the results werent very good and it takes forever to grind
away that much material. *Has anyone ever ground there own ?

If you'll select the proper wheel, HSS grinds quite well. *If you're using
the typical pedestal or bench grinder with the wheel that came with the
machine, you can expect more than your share of misery. * * The wheels are
too hard to function well for the material, and there's nothing you can do
to improve their performance.

I have hand ground turning tools for well over 50 years now, including
parting tools. *I don't own a commercial one, preferring the performance of
those I hand grind.

You have received some excellent advice regards using a parting wheel to
eliminate the majority of stock when starting with a blank. * *Still, you
must hone your skill to achieve good results afterwards. * Get a proper
wheel and stay the course.

It might pay you to download a large file that was compiled from many of my
posts on the Chaski board some time ago. *I discuss wheel selection, wheel
dressing and HSS grinding in detail, including grinding chip breakers.
If you are not well versed in the art, it may prove useful. * Or not! *:-)

Here's a link: *http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

Harold

So what are the odds someone will save this as a .pdf to the dropbox?