Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

This crapVista machine wanted to open it with the latest Word product, but I
won't use another MS**** product that I haven't used before (earlier
machines & OSs).

So I did the Open With and chose the somewhat trusty WordPad, and did a Save
As to a .doc file, and everything looked fine.

I know that's not a solution for DoN, but I mentioned it in case anyone else
prefers to avoid new spit/yakMS programs.

--
WB
metalworking projects

On 2008-12-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

It might pay you to download a large file that was compiled from many
of my
posts on the Chaski board some time ago. I discuss wheel selection,
wheel
dressing and HSS grinding in detail, including grinding chip breakers.
If you are not well versed in the art, it may prove useful. Or not!
:-)

Here's a link: http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

I finally got around to downloading it -- and discover that it
is in ".rtf" format -- probably the worst to read with my usual
computers. I guess that I'll see whether the Mac has a reader for that.

.rtf = Rich Text Format

MS Word should be able to open it. Or OpenOffice can, if you're into
that commie open source stuff like Linux. ;-)

".pdf" would have been a good format on almost any computer --
or if it is only plain text in there -- what would have been wrong with
a plain text file?

Text has limited formatting capabilities. .pdf would be best except that
Adobe's Distiller isn't cheap. If you can 'print' to a postscript file
(.ps), there's a ps2pdf utility (that damned open source stuff again).

--
Paul Hovnanian
Dedicated to the unrestricted propagation of worthless