Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

On 12 Dec 2008 05:39:54 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

O.K. I do see OpenOffice available for download for Solaris,
and I am downloading as I type.

And the StarOffice needs a license fee to run it for more than a
short trial period, so we'll see what OpenOffice does for me.

Except for the version which comes with Solaris 10, apparently.

However -- I've downloaded it, and installed, it, and can't find
how to *start* it. (And I don't like the installer sending me 48
separate e-mails for each various part of the package installed. Why
could it not have combined them all into a single e-mail?)

Strange, and a good question. The Windows version didn't send emails.

During the installation process, apparently gnome was the
preferred windowing system, and it installed hooks for that. I normally
use CDE, but after installation, I re-logged-in to run Gnome, and all I
found was an icon to start StarOffice -- and nothing for OpenOffice. :-(

I am *not* thrilled with OpenOffice.

It appears that many things in *nix are like that. Send a missive off
to Sun asking "WTF,O?" and let us know what they say.

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.