Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

On 18 Dec 2008 03:36:11 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

On 2008-12-17, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On 12 Dec 2008 05:39:54 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

[ ... OpenOffice ... ]

However -- I've downloaded it, and installed, it, and can't find
how to *start* it. (And I don't like the installer sending me 48
separate e-mails for each various part of the package installed. Why
could it not have combined them all into a single e-mail?)

Strange, and a good question. The Windows version didn't send emails.

It probably used a standard Windows Installation Wizard. The
one for Solaris looks as though it is trying to pretend to be the same
sort of critter.

Tres gauche.

During the installation process, apparently gnome was the
preferred windowing system, and it installed hooks for that. I normally
use CDE, but after installation, I re-logged-in to run Gnome, and all I
found was an icon to start StarOffice -- and nothing for OpenOffice. :-(

I am *not* thrilled with OpenOffice.

It appears that many things in *nix are like that. Send a missive off
to Sun asking "WTF,O?" and let us know what they say.

Since that "Installation Wizard" is not used by any of Sun's
software (they use "pkgadd"instead, which does things the Sun way, and
does not flood my mailbox. :-)

I don't knwo where OpenOffice got their Wizard, but I don't like
it.

Write in and let them know.

And since OpenOffice is not one of Sun's packages, asking them
how to make it work does not make sense either. Sun's version is
StarOffice, which does work in general -- just not with the images in
those .rtf files. :-)

I thought the package was Sun's since it's DLable there. I hadn't
given it much thought. shrug BUT, since you're having trouble
like helping. YMMV.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18 Dec 2008 03:36:11 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
And since OpenOffice is not one of Sun's packages, asking them
how to make it work does not make sense either. Sun's version is
StarOffice, which does work in general -- just not with the images in
those .rtf files. :-)

If you feel like doing some more fooling around...

Abiword is supposed to run on Solaris. Windows version 2.6.2
opened that rtf document, the images seemed to look okay
too. It was a bit pokey doing it, but my computer is old and
slow anyway. See:

http://www.abisource.com/

I don't know diddly squat about compiling/running stuff for
any of the nixs', on your own there

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-18, Leon Fisk wrote:
On 18 Dec 2008 03:36:11 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
And since OpenOffice is not one of Sun's packages, asking them
how to make it work does not make sense either. Sun's version is
StarOffice, which does work in general -- just not with the images in
those .rtf files. :-)

If you feel like doing some more fooling around...

Abiword is supposed to run on Solaris. Windows version 2.6.2
opened that rtf document, the images seemed to look okay
too. It was a bit pokey doing it, but my computer is old and
slow anyway. See:

http://www.abisource.com/

I don't know diddly squat about compiling/running stuff for
any of the nixs', on your own there

O.K. I'll have a look at it.

But really -- since I have the PDF and could print it, I'm not
sure that I really need to go through this. :-)

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Dec 2008 05:59:29 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

O.K. I'll have a look at it.

But really -- since I have the PDF and could print it, I'm not
sure that I really need to go through this. :-)

I hear you

I waste a lot of time tinkering with stuff for/on the
computer. It may be helpful for the next time you're trying
to open some odd file though.

From what Steve A. said, he could open/read that file too
with Abiword on Linux. That is a good sign that it should do
the job okay.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b