Steve

Default Iscar Parting Tool and Tool Block Question...

I am looking into buying an Iscar Parting Tool for my Sheldon 13x36. I
have a BXA toolpost and the lathe is variable speed. I looked through
a few catalogs and am confused at what to buy. It looks like the Iscar
New Line Plus is what I need but I want to make sure before I drop the
$$$. They make an F cut and a T cut and I have no idea what these
mean. I checked the website and it wasn't any help. There is a SGFH
model and a SGIH model.

Also, does this require a tool block to be used and if so how does it
work? I understand the tool goes in the block but does the tool block
go into a QC holder and then into the tool post? It looks like that is
how it would have to be. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve
Bob Powell

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I am looking into buying an Iscar Parting Tool for my Sheldon 13x36. I
have a BXA toolpost and the lathe is variable speed. I looked through
a few catalogs and am confused at what to buy. It looks like the Iscar
New Line Plus is what I need but I want to make sure before I drop the
$$$. They make an F cut and a T cut and I have no idea what these
mean. I checked the website and it wasn't any help. There is a SGFH
model and a SGIH model.

Also, does this require a tool block to be used and if so how does it
work? I understand the tool goes in the block but does the tool block
go into a QC holder and then into the tool post? It looks like that is
how it would have to be. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

One style is a flat blade that holds an insert and in turn is held in a tool
block. So you can slide the blade in or out depending on the depth of cut
(diameter). Yes the tool block just clamps in a QC holder.

Iscar makes another style that combines the bar and tool block in a single
milled piece. It's more friendly to small lathes - more compact, less
overhang from the toolpost. The blade is milled from the bar and so limits
the diameter you can part off. I have one of these with a 5/8" shank and
..120" wide insert that is just the ticket for parting off up to about 2"
dia. or whatever its limit is.

I think the separate blade and block style is a better bet for using the
thinner grooving inserts like .064".

I've never used these professionally and am ignorant about how you are
really supposed to select and use these, just wound up with some at auction
some years ago. They do work great and the inserts are cheap for what you
get, the only catch is what the holders cost up front. The best part is the
choice of "neutral" inserts that fold the chip in from both sides as it
cuts, and "left" or "right" inserts that remove most of the burr on one side
or the other of the cut.

I've learned the hard way not to make deep parting cuts with "L" or "R"
inserts in a thin blade.

Bob

williamhenry

you can also get a cutoff blade holder for most tool post
I have one for a can at work , loads more rigid than a separate tool in a
tool block , and it frees up the tool block for something else, the cutoff
blades all fit the same holders just about check here

http://www.mscdirect.com/mscProductS...1&Merchant_Id=
1&query=79046561&search_cat=5

larsen-tools

Steve, you're not the only one who gets confused when looking at any of
Iscar's catalogs. They have everything so optimized & specialized, for cnc
guys I suppose, that it's easy to go cross-eyed & start talking to oneself.
If I were starting again I think I'd buy Kennametal and keep the boys in
Latrobe working, instead.

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I am looking into buying an Iscar Parting Tool for my Sheldon 13x36. I
have a BXA toolpost and the lathe is variable speed. I looked through
a few catalogs and am confused at what to buy. It looks like the Iscar
New Line Plus is what I need but I want to make sure before I drop the
$$$. They make an F cut and a T cut and I have no idea what these
mean. I checked the website and it wasn't any help. There is a SGFH
model and a SGIH model.

Also, does this require a tool block to be used and if so how does it
work? I understand the tool goes in the block but does the tool block
go into a QC holder and then into the tool post? It looks like that is
how it would have to be. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Randal O'Brian

The tool block is supposed to go in a QC holder. I have the set-up, but I
don't know if it is T cut or F cut, but I suspect it is T cut since it is
several years old. Anyway, I use 0.120" type N inserts and am pleased with
it. Iscar's catalog is very confusing and short on text.

Randy

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I am looking into buying an Iscar Parting Tool for my Sheldon 13x36. I
have a BXA toolpost and the lathe is variable speed. I looked through
a few catalogs and am confused at what to buy. It looks like the Iscar
New Line Plus is what I need but I want to make sure before I drop the
$$$. They make an F cut and a T cut and I have no idea what these
mean. I checked the website and it wasn't any help. There is a SGFH
model and a SGIH model.

Also, does this require a tool block to be used and if so how does it
work? I understand the tool goes in the block but does the tool block
go into a QC holder and then into the tool post? It looks like that is
how it would have to be. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Grant Erwin

I use the .087" inserts on a 9" South Bend. Most of the time it cuts
like butter. I tried the .120" inserts on an AXA-71 blade/holder but
my lathe just wasn't rigid enough.

Grant

Randal O'Brian wrote:

The tool block is supposed to go in a QC holder. I have the set-up, but I
don't know if it is T cut or F cut, but I suspect it is T cut since it is
several years old. Anyway, I use 0.120" type N inserts and am pleased with
it. Iscar's catalog is very confusing and short on text.

Randy

"Steve" wrote in message
om...

I am looking into buying an Iscar Parting Tool for my Sheldon 13x36. I
have a BXA toolpost and the lathe is variable speed. I looked through
a few catalogs and am confused at what to buy. It looks like the Iscar
New Line Plus is what I need but I want to make sure before I drop the
$$$. They make an F cut and a T cut and I have no idea what these
mean. I checked the website and it wasn't any help. There is a SGFH
model and a SGIH model.

Also, does this require a tool block to be used and if so how does it
work? I understand the tool goes in the block but does the tool block
go into a QC holder and then into the tool post? It looks like that is
how it would have to be. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

TLKALLAM8

Carbide cutoff blades never worked very well for me .On my 15x40 lathe I have
to turn the speed down 100-200 rpm and carbide needs to run alot faster or its
prone to chipping.If i run it faster i get chatter and carbide will chip .I
bought one or these bxa cutoff tool holder and i like it alot better.