Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

On Dec 8, 12:48*pm, wrote:
*Ive used some 3/8 & 1/2 square tools that were factory ground to
about 1/16 on the end for parting
and cutoff. *They work great but when I tried to reproduce one from a
blank, well the results werent very good and it takes forever to grind
away that much material. *Has anyone ever ground there own ?

Sure, but the easiest way is to get a dedicated cut-off blade holder
and cut-off blades for the big stuff. For itty-bitty stuff, I still
grind minis from 1/4" square blanks. Yeah, it takes awhile. Wouldn't
care to try it on bigger blanks, either. I use 40 grit belts on the
belt grinder for roughing, I'd probably see if I could get something
around 20-30 grit for wheels if I was stuck with a bench grinder.

Stan