Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

On 2008-12-11, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Wild_Bill wrote:

This crapVista machine wanted to open it with the latest Word product, but I
won't use another MS**** product that I haven't used before (earlier
machines & OSs).

So I did the Open With and chose the somewhat trusty WordPad, and did a Save
As to a .doc file, and everything looked fine.

I know that's not a solution for DoN, but I mentioned it in case anyone else
prefers to avoid new spit/yakMS programs.

Now that I've seen it, I think text format would have been best. It ends
up as an 86K text file. Converting to a PDF (not everyone has the tools
to do so) makes a 590K file. The original is 11.6 megabytes. I don't
even want to think about what an MS Word .doc would look like.

Apparently your WordPad also did not see and convert the images,
just as StarOffice 7.0 failed.

Text is good, particularly if there's no special formatting, fonts or
graphics to be preserved.

Agreed -- though apparently there were *supposed* to be some
images in there. I'm downloading the latest OpenOffice to see if that
shows me the images, since I don't have the option of opening it with
Word. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564