Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
wrote in message
Ive used some 3/8 & 1/2 square tools that were factory ground to
about 1/16 on the end for parting
and cutoff. They work great but when I tried to reproduce one from a
blank, well the results werent very good and it takes forever to
grind away that much material. Has anyone ever ground there own ?

If you'll select the proper wheel, HSS grinds quite well. If you're
using the typical pedestal or bench grinder with the wheel that came
with the machine, you can expect more than your share of misery. The
wheels are too hard to function well for the material, and
there's nothing you can do to improve their performance.

I have hand ground turning tools for well over 50 years now, including
parting tools. I don't own a commercial one, preferring the
performance of those I hand grind.

You have received some excellent advice regards using a parting wheel
to eliminate the majority of stock when starting with a blank. Still,
you must hone your skill to achieve good results afterwards. Get a proper
wheel and stay the course.

It might pay you to download a large file that was compiled from many
of my posts on the Chaski board some time ago. I discuss wheel
selection, wheel dressing and HSS grinding in detail, including
grinding chip breakers. If you are not well versed in the art, it may
prove useful. Or not!
:-)
Here's a link: http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

Harold

Downloading even as I type , Thanks Harold !
I have gotten so much info from this and the other metalworking groups I
read , it has helped me more than I can say .
The Internet Rocks !
--
Snag
every answer