Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

On 2008-12-10, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:13:19 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip---
".pdf" would have been a good format on almost any computer --
or if it is only plain text in there -- what would have been wrong with
a plain text file?

Damned if I know, DoN. I had nothing to do with the file aside from giving
permission to a different party to compile them so they could be uploaded.
I had provided the posts for readers of the Chaski board in hopes they might
be enlightened. There's one hell of a lot of experience there, and some
information that is not commonly promoted. If readers keep an open mind
and try some of the recommendations, particularly grinding without a rest,
they just may be pleasantly surprised.

Plaintext doesn't support graphics, and there were a dozen or so pics
in there, 'Arry.

Where? In the printout from StarOffice, I see no images of any
form. However, I *do* see a few white spaces between paragraphs, with
one or more '.'s at the left margin.

O.K. I went back into StarOffice (version 7, FWIW), and see the
same. Not quite peroids, but tiny blue dots.

I agree that a PDF would have been cleaner/smaller. C'est la vie.

And it might have carried the images along in such a way that I
could see them.

O.K. Paging through with less, I find some areas which look
like encoded binary data (possibly images) with something like:

\b\fs28{\pict\wmetafile8\picwgoal5999\pichgoal4349

in front -- which sort of looks like a path to an image on a Windows
system, but certainly not on a unix variant with those backslashes.

Perhaps someone who can extract it all, including the images,
can convert it to a postscript, and from there to pdf, so the rest of us
can see the images along with the text.

For all that *I* got, plain ASCII would have sufficed, except
for the occasional use of single-character fractions in place of 3/4 and
the like.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564