Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

On 2008-12-11, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On 11 Dec 2008 02:58:06 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

[ ... ]

Strange, I'm running OpenOffice 2.0...oh, that's not StarOffice, is
it? g

StarOffice 7.0 -- from an earlier version of Solaris, IIRC.

O.K. That old one was actually version 5.1. 7.0 was installed
with Solaris 10, and both are present in the system, depending on how I
invoke them. :-)

Time for a DL, Don. OpenOffice has very seldom failed me.

Hmm ... a download -- of the sources and compile, or a
pre-compiled version? I do remember downloading the sources at some

[ ... ]

O.K. I do see OpenOffice available for download for Solaris,
and I am downloading as I type.

And the StarOffice needs a license fee to run it for more than a
short trial period, so we'll see what OpenOffice does for me.

Except for the version which comes with Solaris 10, apparently.

However -- I've downloaded it, and installed, it, and can't find
how to *start* it. (And I don't like the installer sending me 48
separate e-mails for each various part of the package installed. Why
could it not have combined them all into a single e-mail?)

During the installation process, apparently gnome was the
preferred windowing system, and it installed hooks for that. I normally
use CDE, but after installation, I re-logged-in to run Gnome, and all I
found was an icon to start StarOffice -- and nothing for OpenOffice. :-(

I am *not* thrilled with OpenOffice.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564